John Mueller has died

Hornius Emeritus

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

what's the origin of the "stabby" thing?

He threatened to stab you if you took a beer out of his cooler. They were free, but only he was supposed to go in there and hand them out. Some people took the comment as intended. Some people took it seriously. I took the free beer that he handed to me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

“LeAnn Mueller said she thought her older brother had found his footing, and was shocked to learn of his death.”

Doesn’t sound like some sort of long term illness some are hinting at.

Agreed.  And him moving to DFW and taking on the Hutchins gig.  But still, he didn't look great in recent pics.

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

“LeAnn Mueller said she thought her older brother had found his footing, and was shocked to learn of his death.”

Doesn’t sound like some sort of long term illness some are hinting at.

One thing that can get long-term alcoholics is an esophageal hemorrhage.  All the guzzling gives you essentially varicose veins of the esophagus.  Those can rupture (especially if you're heaving up after a rough evening) and you can exsanguinate through your mouth.

9 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Y'all remember the Eat for a Cause event he came down to Houston for back in like 2014? That's the John Mueller I chose to remember.

A seminal moment in my bbq education.  Bringing a headlamp was the best decision I could have made.  Captain Stabby just had me follow him around all night peering the light over his shoulder when he'd check the meats and fires.  And poor Wes, he'd just bought the Pappa Charlie's trailer and that thing was spic and span.  Then John said go and within the blink of an eye there was so much salt and pepper thrown around that place there's probably still pieces of cracked pepper wedged it the joints of the sheet metal.    

Last saw him a few years ago at Black Box.  I said hello from the next table.  He said "WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING" 

RIP Legend. Thanks for not stabbing my father in law

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
  • Hook 'Em 4

Hadn't eaten at one of his places since the south 1st trailer around 2012 but it was good stuff every time I went. Took family there several times. 

He used to be a regular at the downtown Round Rock bars I would frequent in the mid 2010s. Many times I'd be at the bar and in would walk John, always with that Under Armor hat, and he'd sit at the bar and order up. Made small talk a few times but never mentioned bbq to him. 

Heard recently he was at Hutchins in Frisco so thought about heading up there to check it out. Poor fella, those pics of him at Hutchins didn't look like him at all. At least his suffering in life has ended. 

Back in the east 6th street days, he was waiting on his trailer inspection and couldn't officially be open. However, you could text him an order for cash pickup.  He texted me to pick up at Kellee's Bar next door around 10am.  I showed up and he's at the bar by himself and had at least a dozen empty bottles in front of him. We went back to the trailer and packaged up my order. He didn't act like he'd even had one drink. Seemed perfectly sober and cordial.  He gave me a couple of beers to go from the cooler.  Since he wasn't going to be open for a couple of days, I realized that the free beer he gave away was just the beer he hadn't drank yet that day.  I knew right then that's how he'd go. You're pretty much past the point of no return when that's your daily lifestyle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Back in 2013, I took my groomsman to John’s place for lunch on my wedding day. I reached for a Lone Star and he told me, “I was to aggressive” and proceeded to serve the rest of the line before me. Then came back and handed me a beer and said, “now you can have one.”

We ordered a pile of meat and he found out that it was my wedding day and gave our group 1/2 off the meal.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1