Barton Creek Mall on a Saturday Night

atomheartbevo

On 12/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, atomheartbevo said:

In the early 80s, and maybe even when you worked there, you could get a blowjob for $5.   You just go to the J.C. Penney’s  and head to the sporting goods department.  There was a high school kid there and you would tel him you wanted to buy some socks, and then he’d blow you in one of the dressing rooms.  

The kid loved UT football and if you told him you were a football player he’d blow you for free. Poor kid, I know of at least 4 people that told him they were Todd Dodge.  He probably didn’t have a UT media guide or a Dave Campbell’s guide laying around, so he couldn’t have known what Dodge looked like without a helmet.   

Maybe not, but it sounds like he should be an expert on what Todd's helmet looks like. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

it's still a pretty big teen hangout.  my 13yo probably meets her friends there 3 times a month and was actually there earlier in the day on saturday.

Sounds like she’s doing the ole “drop me off at the mall” and then getting picked up to go somewhere else to hang out. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Sounds like she’s doing the ole “drop me off at the mall” and then getting picked up to go somewhere else to hang out. 

maybe.  good thing modern technology makes that much harder to do. starting around 8th grade we'd get dropped off there and take cap metro down to the drag and buy weed. of course we were also buying mice at the pet store that used to be in there and releasing them in the mall.  good times.

Edited by 4th&Five

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

maybe.  good thing modern technology makes that much harder to do. starting around 8th grade we'd get dropped off there and take cap metro down to the drag and buy weed. of course we were also buying mice at the pet store that used to be in there and releasing them in the mall.  good times.

The mall really sucks. I can’t imagine teenagers today doing their thing at the mall the same way we used to hang out there when we were kids. There was nothing to do back then but go to the mall before the internet exploded. The mall seems like going to the library now.

• Like 1

I should say the development will begin by the end of the decade, exterior sites, then demolition.  Won't be "re-developed" for at least 15 years total.  

A portion of the mall would remain, the vast majority torn down.  Most likely the Nordstrom corridor because of its better infrastructure and it sits sunk down where it's not missing out on any view lanes.  I suspect at the NE corner, you'll finally see plans for that hotel/restaurant expanded pad site to start within 5-7 years.  

Primarily, they envision a mixed-use redevelopment on a huge chunk of the land with apartments above, in what is really one of the last multi-family in-fill opportunities in Eanes ISD.  Over the whole of the property, 200 units at least.  Up to 500-600 on the high end depending on vertical variances and condo blend.  Nothing like the Domain in scope obviously, you can tell by the footprint of the land.  Also they wait and see what happens with South MoPac and 360 projects in the near-term.  A lot more density to the SE portion of the plot, not as much right on Walsh-Tarlton and Tammarron.  Mixed-family blend also depends on vertical limits, as a condo project would have to figure into the thing to make the financials work.  They'd go in along the complete eastern side, along with likely some in the SW corner with hill country views.  I think the retail component wouldn't be much, a few dozen stores---a lot of services retails (cleaners, salons, etc.)---plus the remaining mall corridor and then a handful of restaurants/bars.  As people in that area know, those residents in that area just don't go out to eat in that area...so I doubt hospitality plays a big part.  It's mainly to infill multi-family, a fair sized hotel, 're-do' the retail, and take advantage of the views.  It will mirror/match a lot of what will go in at Barton Oaks across MoPac...except BCSQ will be heavier on multi-family product and lighter on retail/restaurant.  Obviously some rezoning takes place between now and then.  

Hopefully, they'll replace some of that asphalt with some grass and trees, there's a few legacy patches of some woods around the perimeter, maybe extend one of those into the center of the redevelopment.  

I dunno, somebody will fuck it up though and put a parking garage and loading dock where the Farmer's Market is now, and really take advantage of that breathtaking skyline view.  Alls I know is wheels are in motion, bribes have begun, and Simon wants the fuck out.