billfromlaketravis

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Elsa’s voiceovers and poetic crap just makes me laugh now. Sheridan seems to only be able to write caricatures of women.

I guess Elsa is a believer in the old adage that the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

Her narration is a major eye roll for me. Just kill her already 

16 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I wonder how much Charlie paid for his horse. Hopefully he will tell us next episode.

Lol it’s also funny how all the other characters have to smile and laugh at Sheridan’s characters.  Tim and Sam have barely cracked a smile all season yet they chuckle at Sheridan like he is their hero.  And in Yellowstone the often serious Casey and Rip do the same when Sheridan is around. 

• Haha 1

i think she's 18? anyway, really liked the episode...altho is a rainless tornado really a thing? 🤔

i may be alone, but i really like Elsa. she's smart and capable, she listens to her parents for the most part, while still having a very believable sense of adventure and immortality that all young people have, regardless of era. also, she just had sex for the first time and she clearly wants more...also believable lol.

i appreciate her 'voice', i try to think how this world looks thru her eyes, a proper, refined young woman of that time and age...i think she does a really good job relaying that without being ridiculous. i find her much better written than Beth or Monica Dutton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

<sigh> Well, the shark has been jumped.  This thing has now been exposed for what it is - nothing more than a Michael Bay Pearl Harbor or a James Cameon Titanic  - nothing but a third-rate soap opera backgrounded by some epic historical situation.  It's been slowly sinking in the Panhandle quicksand for a few weeks now, and it's up to its neck.  Although I'm expected to believe that Elsa's flirty, nightclub-tempered sexy tete-a-tete with goofy, shy Ennis was such a love story that she was suicidally devastated (looked more like an after-closing hookup at the old Tangerine's in the Renaissance Arboretum), after nothing but catty, smirky asides to each other (maybe they left out all the real love stuff), I went with it.  Nothing like banging within earshot of mom and dad to seal true love.  Okay, whatever.

Then we get little things like the epic, impossible crossing of the Brazos a few weeks ago, equivalent apparently to a Blitzkrieg, with half the crew barely making it out.  Okay, that was good, I can live with it. But three weeks later, when they cross the obviously deeper and more threatening Red River, it's glossed over to the next jump cut, where all cattle and wagons are happily persnickiting along, as if they just stepped over a water trail left by washing one's car.  Guess they got uber good.

It was hanging on for a few weeks, but last night it went down over its head, if not for good, for a spell.  First we hire a cook - named Cookie?  Oh jeez... Stereotype City.  I know that cooks were sometimes called that, not a proper name, but a title, but I mean really, you have to use it without even saying the guy's real name, to let us know about that fact?  Nope... Cookie is called Cookie.  Ugh.  Then Cookie goes into the "onery old cook" routine apparently obligatory in every Western movie or TV show ever made.  Yawn.  Drops a few F-Bombs and of course Faith Hill gets mad and whomps him.  Then he sheepishly defers to her when almost anyone would have said, "screw this, I'ma back to Doan's, eat shit bitch."  But okay, he's a paid man so he gets in line.  But a few scenes later, Mama commandeers the horse and tells the new cowboy to "Get offa that Goddamned Horse" well within earshot of Little Johnny Boy.  Guess the Mother of All Bad Words makes other sailors' talk permissible (sorry, this was a glaring inconsistency).  Then you send Elsa out to fight the bad guys, but tell her not to fight... and 3 of them are hot on her trail shooting at her.  But yeah, again, like every bad movie ever made, 12 villains are terrible shots (cue Dumb and Dumber), can't hit shit, while the 3-4 good guys wipe 'em out in no time.  Then good ol' Sam comes to the rescue out of nowhere (well, okay) and hacks 3 of 'em to death... but why would he leave the tomahawk in the back of one of the dead guys?   Dude, you spent time making those things (and apparently you had 3-4 handy on your horse, but whatever).  That part was hard to take, but okay, nice scenery.

But the shark was the tornado - or sharknado.  Okay, granted this thing could be up to a mile wide at its worst, but all these seasoned 'prarie guys' can't look at one and decipher the general direction it's moving and hole up, or at least move at a right angle to it so it'll pass by?  Naw, with an unlimited scope of view and absolutely all the freedom to move in any direction, they go right into it, and then "it chased them until it was on top of them."  Man, I'm sorry but that's hard to take.  Even if you accept the possibility that this tornado formed right near them and they didn't have a chance to escape, running ahead of it in its path was something no reasonable, seasoned Oregon Trail cowboy or captain would do.  But okay, I'll let that slip.

The worst part - by far - was our new little easy lay Elsa feeling the pangs of love again - during a tornado - and jumping under Sam to get to at least second base in a "Makin' Papoose" embrace - while the tornado was going over them - and coming out of it with a little smirk.  Not to mention 5 year old John just had a twister run over his scalp, and he gets up, calm as a spring pool in the morning, and goes along.  But the worst part - the worst - was suddenly, the next jump cut - the sky is absolutely clear as if it was a spring day in the Appalachians!  Are you serious?  Musta been one of those Oz tornadoes which materializes out of nowhere, aims right for a targeted group - and then just vanishes - along with all the clouds with it - and people just resume their lives as if someone cut a bad fart, but it's over.  Geezus, I mean really.

Now you can say all this is nitpicking shit and really doesn't detract from the "inner" story of the emotions and struggles of people and Elsa in general  But since this series has tried to make at least some kind of big deal about "realism", it lapped Fonzie on water skis.  It's now just a soap opera with nice cinematic cuts.

But, sigh, I'll still watch, because screw it.  I guess.  Even the wife started tuning out on it after this latest episode.

2 final thoughts:

1) Elsa's little voiceover narrations started out being cute and added some flavor to this thing.  But now they're often so indecipherable and self-conflicting that they've become more like Jack Handey gems.  WTF are you pontificating about now?  Yeah, you must be like 17 because it sounds like high school prose.

2) End on a good note - best moment from the newest episode, wife and I cracked up at the same time - the Captain bitching about how they should be a lot farther along and they were only in Texas or something like that.  I said to wife, "well hell, at least the writers understand what people have been complaining about for weeks now.  At least Sam Elliott knows it!"  LOL.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

<sigh> Well, the shark has been jumped.  This thing has now been exposed for what it is - nothing more than a Michael Bay Pearl Harbor or a James Cameon Titanic  - nothing but a third-rate soap opera backgrounded by some epic historical situation.  It's been slowly sinking in the Panhandle quicksand for a few weeks now, and it's up to its neck.  Although I'm expected to believe that Elsa's flirty, nightclub-tempered sexy tete-a-tete with goofy, shy Ennis was such a love story that she was suicidally devastated (looked more like an after-closing hookup at the old Tangerine's in the Renaissance Arboretum), after nothing but catty, smirky asides to each other (maybe they left out all the real love stuff), I went with it.  Nothing like banging within earshot of mom and dad to seal true love.  Okay, whatever.

Then we get little things like the epic, impossible crossing of the Brazos a few weeks ago, equivalent apparently to a Blitzkrieg, with half the crew barely making it out.  Okay, that was good, I can live with it. But three weeks later, when they cross the obviously deeper and more threatening Red River, it's glossed over to the next jump cut, where all cattle and wagons are happily persnickiting along, as if they just stepped over a water trail left by washing one's car.  Guess they got uber good.

It was hanging on for a few weeks, but last night it went down over its head, if not for good, for a spell.  First we hire a cook - named Cookie?  Oh jeez... Stereotype City.  I know that cooks were sometimes called that, not a proper name, but a title, but I mean really, you have to use it without even saying the guy's real name, to let us know about that fact?  Nope... Cookie is called Cookie.  Ugh.  Then Cookie goes into the "onery old cook" routine apparently obligatory in every Western movie or TV show ever made.  Yawn.  Drops a few F-Bombs and of course Faith Hill gets mad and whomps him.  Then he sheepishly defers to her when almost anyone would have said, "screw this, I'ma back to Doan's, eat shit bitch."  But okay, he's a paid man so he gets in line.  But a few scenes later, Mama commandeers the horse and tells the new cowboy to "Get offa that Goddamned Horse" well within earshot of Little Johnny Boy.  Guess the Mother of All Bad Words makes other sailors' talk permissible (sorry, this was a glaring inconsistency).  Then you send Elsa out to fight the bad guys, but tell her not to fight... and 3 of them are hot on her trail shooting at her.  But yeah, again, like every bad movie ever made, 12 villains are terrible shots (cue Dumb and Dumber), can't hit shit, while the 3-4 good guys wipe 'em out in no time.  Then good ol' Sam comes to the rescue out of nowhere (well, okay) and hacks 3 of 'em to death... but why would he leave the tomahawk in the back of one of the dead guys?   Dude, you spent time making those things (and apparently you had 3-4 handy on your horse, but whatever).  That part was hard to take, but okay, nice scenery.

But the shark was the tornado - or sharknado.  Okay, granted this thing could be up to a mile wide at its worst, but all these seasoned 'prarie guys' can't look at one and decipher the general direction it's moving and hole up, or at least move at a right angle to it so it'll pass by?  Naw, with an unlimited scope of view and absolutely all the freedom to move in any direction, they go right into it, and then "it chased them until it was on top of them."  Man, I'm sorry but that's hard to take.  Even if you accept the possibility that this tornado formed right near them and they didn't have a chance to escape, running ahead of it in its path was something no reasonable, seasoned Oregon Trail cowboy or captain would do.  But okay, I'll let that slip.

The worst part - by far - was our new little easy lay Elsa feeling the pangs of love again - during a tornado - and jumping under Sam to get to at least second base in a "Makin' Papoose" embrace - while the tornado was going over them - and coming out of it with a little smirk.  Not to mention 5 year old John just had a twister run over his scalp, and he gets up, calm as a spring pool in the morning, and goes along.  But the worst part - the worst - was suddenly, the next jump cut - the sky is absolutely clear as if it was a spring day in the Appalachians!  Are you serious?  Musta been one of those Oz tornadoes which materializes out of nowhere, aims right for a targeted group - and then just vanishes - along with all the clouds with it - and people just resume their lives as if someone cut a bad fart, but it's over.  Geezus, I mean really.

Now you can say all this is nitpicking shit and really doesn't detract from the "inner" story of the emotions and struggles of people and Elsa in general  But since this series has tried to make at least some kind of big deal about "realism", it lapped Fonzie on water skis.  It's now just a soap opera with nice cinematic cuts.

But, sigh, I'll still watch, because screw it.  I guess.  Even the wife started tuning out on it after this latest episode.

2 final thoughts:

1) Elsa's little voiceover narrations started out being cute and added some flavor to this thing.  But now they're often so indecipherable and self-conflicting that they've become more like Jack Handey gems.  WTF are you pontificating about now?  Yeah, you must be like 17 because it sounds like high school prose.

2) End on a good note - best moment from the newest episode, wife and I cracked up at the same time - the Captain bitching about how they should be a lot farther along and they were only in Texas or something like that.  I said to wife, "well hell, at least the writers understand what people have been complaining about for weeks now.  At least Sam Elliott knows it!"  LOL.

*prairie

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

2 final thoughts:

tenor (27).gif

• Haha 7

Not sure how I feel about the tornado part.

On the one hand, I enjoyed the thunderstorm moving in and even the extreme scenario of a tornado. Those are real threats that pioneers would’ve faced in a place where they were horribly exposed, giving me an “oh shit, this isn’t good” feeling as a viewer.

On the other hand, the tornado was powerful enough to wreck their wagons, but no people were injured. And not only did the sky immediately turn sunny and clear afterwards, but there was not a drop of rain to be seen. The people were perfectly dry and the grass was dry. It was like nothing ever happened, except the wagon damage.

Lol.  The amateur meteorologist in me jumped at this as well.  

But the worst part - the worst - was suddenly, the next jump cut - the sky is absolutely clear as if it was a spring day in the Appalachians!  Are you serious?  Musta been one of those Oz tornadoes which materializes out of nowhere, aims right for a targeted group - and then just vanishes - along with all the clouds with it - and people just resume their lives as if someone cut a bad fart, but it's over.  Geezus, I mean really.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, mchookem said:

i think she's 18? anyway, really liked the episode...altho is a rainless tornado really a thing? 🤔

i may be alone, but i really like Elsa. she's smart and capable, she listens to her parents for the most part, while still having a very believable sense of adventure and immortality that all young people have, regardless of era. also, she just had sex for the first time and she clearly wants more...also believable lol.

i appreciate her 'voice', i try to think how this world looks thru her eyes, a proper, refined young woman of that time and age...i think she does a really good job relaying that without being ridiculous. i find her much better written than Beth or Monica Dutton.

What??? How many 18 year olds do you know with these ridiculously deep views on life and their surroundings?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, mchookem said:

What??? How many 18 year olds do you know with these ridiculously deep views on life and their surroundings?

So who does Elsa bang next? My money is on one of the german dudes because she's ready for the freaky deaky. 

Maybe she throws Always Crying Sam Elliot a pity fuck.

Why did she tell Sam she was staying behind only to immediately decide to go to Oregon and come back later? Oh right because this show is dumb.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:37 PM, utxmike05 said:

Told my wife…why is she so poetic…isn’t she like 15…where did she learn those words and how to speak like that?

Actually, I don't mind that part really.  Go read some older novels or stories and you can easily pick up how someone back then interested in literature would write.  It is a normal feeling to keep dictionary.com open when looking at David Foster Wallace.  It is strange feeling needing it for a Russian writer (Tolstoy) that died more than 100 years ago.  Then I found out how many languages the dude was fluent in, and felt a little less pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

She a ho. 

Wife and I pretty much said this as, but it's like as much a startling revelation as the sun coming up.

I'll lay off my piling on of criticism (though it deserves it) to just say the last episode was Dancing With Wolves - The Chick Remake.  I mean even to the point where ol' Gigalo Sam was yelling on his horse as he was riding away about Yellow Hair being his wife and he loves her blah blah, right down to the almost exact same music.  Hope Costner got some royalties from that scene.  Otherwise the series continues to decline.  All wife could muster after the last one was, "Well, the scenery's still pretty."  Agreed.  I now have it on in the background as I'm doing stuff on the computer, phone, etc.

Retitile it to "Shit on a Stick - 1883."  Coulda would shoulda up the wazoo - this thing started out great and has lapsed into dogshit.  But hey, pretty cinematography!