billfromlaketravis

10 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Crow I believe

Yea we watch with captions and it said "speaking Crow"  and "Spotted Eagle:____"

Solid last 2 episodes. So of the immigrants only Josef and the gypsy made it??  So you're saying there's a chance....

Dusty when Elsa passed, great acting....but her character did kinda overpower the series with the narrative "what is death.." stuff.  She had a cameo in the rom com "I want you back" on amazon prime recently.  Still smoke and in bikini.

Would like to have seen Faith and son catch up to Tim in the last scene to stake their claim to the land.

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

If Margaret would have let her continue to wear the vest…..

The lukewarm posts on here disarmed me for that finale. Christ. I’m glad I was alone. I think I’ll go pick up my daughter from school today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah.  With 17 and 19 yo daughters (no pics) that finale was tough to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Interesting...I'm OK with it since it wrapped up everything.  But wouldn't mind seeing Tim some more.  Can we at least get a 10 year montage of them building the ranch with Indian Outlaw playing?

And why all the random scenes during Yellowstone? 

1) Tim being shot while coming home...shows up wounded to Faith to their house.  I doubt that would be in the coming 1932 show....he would be old as dirt by then.

2) Tim with 2 sons meet with Natives who want to bury a family member in a tree on Dutton's land

I read or heard there will be more on it, just not another season,  maybe a one hour special. That field he and his daughter rode throw, right before the tree looked like the same valley that Kasey found all the dead cows.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:50 PM, Macklemore said:

What the fuck is wrong with you. If you can’t appreciate Elsa and the narrative from her POV, there is something seriously wrong with you as a person. Fuck off and don’t come back to this thread.

uh, no. Your opinions about this show are terrible and wrong. Just come out as a woman already.

• Haha 1

Finally finished the last four eps.

Why did Margaret have to be left behind? She rides. Leave the wagon with Shea and Thomas with the kid. Go to the spot. Go retrieve the wagon. Which was pretty empty anyway.

Agree that Shea’s suicide served no purpose.

Thomas staking out a claim along the Willamette. Oregon was one of the last states with posted sunset “laws”. In that time a gypsy woman and black man would have had a very difficult time in that area. Really any area.

Overall enjoyed it and liked it better than Yellowstone which has lots of Dallas in it. Directional weirdness and certain plot gaffes excepted. Looking forward to 1932.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think it hit a point where the ridiculousness was too much to connect with the caricatures. 

Agreed.  Elsa dying wasn't that shocking, and they showed her dying for weeks in the show.  Only part that got to me as a parent was Tim/Faith forcing themselves to accept it early on, plus Tim's acting when she was finally passing.  

I wonder if Yellowstone will mention Elsa now and where she was buried.

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Agreed.  Elsa dying wasn't that shocking, and they showed her dying for weeks in the show.  Only part that got to me as a parent was Tim/Faith forcing themselves to accept it early on, plus Tim's acting when she was finally passing.  

I wonder if Yellowstone will mention Elsa now and where she was buried.

I'm just assuming Elsa is the one who picked the location of the Dutton family cemetery and she was the first Dutton to be buried there.  I hope that's correct because it's kind of a cool thing that connects Tim McGraw to Costner.   I seem to remember Costner saying something about every Dutton being buried there.  For how many years I don't recall.  But I'm going with Elsa picking out the family cemetery.  

• Like 1

Just not sure how you could have seen the entire hour & still wondered about this. 

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I'm just assuming Elsa is the one who picked the location of the Dutton family cemetery and she was the first Dutton to be buried there. 

I mean, she specifically told Tim she wanted to pick the spot, & he had to ask the Indian which direction would be best to travel for her wish. 

Just not sure how you could have seen the entire hour & still wondered about this. 
I mean, she specifically told Tim she wanted to pick the spot, & he had to ask the Indian which direction would be best to travel for her wish. 

I saw all that. I’m not getting how that precludes my theory from being correct though. I thought they were gonna put down roots wherever they buried here. He took her on a horsey ride to the area the Indian told him about. I assumed that area turned out to be the Yellowstone. They buried her there and I assume that became the Dutton cemetery. Is that not correct?

How could she possibly NOT be the first Dutton buried there? Yes, the whole premise of the last two episodes was they were going to live where she’s buried. 

Anyway, I’ll see you in the next Challenge thread. 

Well my first post on this was in response to someone asking if Yellowstone would mention Elsa and where she’s buried. I was responding to the “where she was buried” part.

12 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Well my first post on this was in response to someone asking if Yellowstone would mention Elsa and where she’s buried. I was responding to the “where she was buried” part.

lulz, I think @shadow_operative2.0is going off the fact that your posts sound like you are assuming and theorizing, when in fact it actually happened that way in the final episodes...thus your theory is fact.

I forgot about the Yellowstone scenes where they discuss the cemetery.  I still want to see a little more of Dutton settling in Yellowstone.  I mean...that journey sucked...95% died.  Can we get a few episodes on settling on this new land with Indians in the area?

2 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

lulz, I think @shadow_operative2.0is going off the fact that your posts sound like you are assuming and theorizing, when in fact it actually happened that way in the final episodes...thus your theory is fact.

I forgot about the Yellowstone scenes where they discuss the cemetery.  I still want to see a little more of Dutton settling in Yellowstone.  I mean...that journey sucked...95% died.  Can we get a few episodes on settling on this new land with Indians in the area?

Thank you.  I finally started to figure out what he was getting at.  I never saw where they definitely confirmed that Elsa was buried in the Dutton family cemetery.  So I kind of thought I was theorizing a little.  If someone missed the few conversations about it in Yellowstone, they wouldn't really know about the family cemetery.  When you made the first post that kicked all that off, I thought you might be one of those people not in the know.  It's pretty cool that Elsa is the one who picked the spot and they are still using it 150 years later.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing this shit show had going for it was cinematography and the break out performance of Travis Tritt. 

There was not one single original aspect to this parade of western tropes and cliches. 

I snickered when the hussy of the great plains croaked. Talk about your hubris.

Texas Rising was better than this Buffalo turd.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 11:09 PM, mchookem said:

only watched one ep tonight...but already better than Yellowstone. wagon train setup is a good storyline. also, Sam Elliott. 

Just binged Season 1. This is significantly better than Yellowstone, which I stopped watching after Season 2. This is really, really good. 

On 12/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Japanese occupation during WWII

Interesting (maybe) family story related to the Japanese occupation of China and the birth of my wife’s mother: 

My wife needed her mother’s birth city for a visa application. Here’s the gist of their conversation:

Wife: Where you born?

Mom: In China

Wife: I know that. Where in China?

Mom: Oh. A horse farm.

Wife: Where was the horse farm?

Mom: I don’t know.

Wife: Ok. I’ll just go with Horse Farm, China.

Side story:

Around the time my MIL was being born, her older sister (maybe 8 or so at the time), went missing. Some of the older family members ran among the other families fleeing the Japanese to look for her. Luckily, they found her not too far down the road. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:37 PM, utxmike05 said:

Told my wife…why is she so poetic…isn’t she like 15…where did she learn those words and how to speak like that?

Reminds me of this Greg Giraldo bit:

"I read this book recently and it was filled with letters that soldiers during the Civil War wrote to their girlfriends back home. Every letter in this book was amazing. They were like, 'My Dearest Hannah, This morn finds me wrecked by the fiery pangs of your absence. I'll bear your cherished memory with me as I battle the forces of tyranny and oppression.' Now think about what the typical letter from your average Gulf War solider to his girlfriend back home in Brooklyn must have read like, 'Dear Marie, It is hot as fuck out here. It is hard to fight these sand monkeys with your balls stuck to your legs. It is very very hot and I am very very sweetie. It is very very hot because I am in the dessert. What else did I want to axe you? Oh yeah, don't fuck nobody til I get back.'"

• Haha 2

Just finished 1883 and thought Ok but found some story lines  too unbelievable. Tim was good along with most the cast and Sam Elliot should win an Emmy.  Faith was Ok but thought her hair style was laughable bad for the conditions they were suppose to be in as was May’s Comanche costume.  

Didn't know this one was coming. 

The latest chapter in the “Yellowstone” saga in Texas is that it’s filming scenes in Waxahachie next month.

Titled “1883: The Bass Reeves Story,” the third spin-off production of the popular Paramount Plus drama “Yellowstone.,” stars David Oyelowo as the titular real-life lawman. The Taylor Sheridan production will follow “Reeves” as he navigates the west as the first black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi River.

Waxahachie City Council members approved street and parking closures for the show at Tuesday’s meeting. The show will film inside the Ellis County Courthouse on Feb. 13 and 14, with preparation work starting the week before.

The city plans to close parking spaces around the courthouse to accommodate filming, along with several streets around the building. Waxahachie business owners have been notified of the closures and have planned ahead, according to the city.

• 4 months later...

For those who still have cable and not Paramount+, this is airing on Sunday nights on Paramount Network starting tonight.  Episode 1 already started but they're re-airing it again right after.

I hope this starts a trend.  I keep cable for live sports and don't intend to ever subscribe to every streamer.  It would be cool if some streaming shows eventually come back to linear tv.  I did also see Reservation Dogs, which I watched on Hulu, is going to be airing on FX linear this summer.

Edited by WBT

• 1 month later...

Just started it, couple of episodes in. Pretty good so far. Had to suspend some disbelief in the first 15 minutes when a gang of men on horseback were struggling to catch up to a wagon. Two thoughts. Faith Hill is the weak link of all the actors, and Tim McGraw’s rugs are ridiculous. Guys went bald back then too ya know Tim. I’ll keep watching.

i thought tim and faith were the worst part of the show.  tim's face was ruddy and his skin didnt look right.  faith has had too much work done on hers to fit the role. miscast.  also, i heard she complained that she couldnt shave her legs or pits for the role, yet never did i see them show her in anything but a full length dress.  wouldnt have minded seeing some of that, but i'm deviant like that.  i was impressed with the blonde chick and would like to see her in more.  her accent, when she was narrating, was annoying AF, but she seemed to be a real rider and was nice to look at.