What’s your best salsa recipe?

BearCountry11

Non traditional but my neighbor taught me this one and its my go to.

1 can diced tomatoes

bunch of cilantro washed

jalapeno or 2, deveined and seeded, chopped up

pinch of salt

throw it all in a food processor and mix. vary the amount of cilantro or jalapeno as needed

my go-to and a hit at my tailgates:

4 Roma tomatoes, 1/2 Red Onion, 3-4 cloves garlic, large handfull of fresh cilantro,

and depending on heat, either 5 whole Jalapeno's, or  3 jalapeno/1 habanero/1 serrano.

dump everything in the food processor,  pulse for 5 seconds,

grab an orange, cut in half, squeeze one half into the concoction, ( you can do it through a strainer if you like to keep out seed and pulp) then pulse to your desired chunkiness level.

normally for me its small bits, which fit great on a tortilla chip

if you really want to spice it up a notch, after you have chopped it up, dump the whole contents into a pot, bring to boil to boil off some water, which concentrates the flavors a lot and then let it cool and serve.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

About 6 roma tomatoes
Tomatillos (you want the volume of the romas:tomatillos to be about 2.5:1 or 3:1)
About 1/4 of a big ass red onion
A couple of small garlic cloves (or one big one)
2-4 serrano peppers
1/2 - 1 orange habanero (depending on how much heat you like )
1 lime
Salt

Grill all of it, but the lime and the salt. Get it black. Get it hot as fuck, to the point where you will be able to smash it without a blender. Put in bowl. Mash it all together. Put in blender. Add juice of lime and ~ 1 tbsp of salt. Pulse 2-3 times. Chill and serve. 

• Like 1

I always post Chile de Arbol. Not a typical tex-mex salsa, this shit is hot.

Just grab a handful of the dried pods, de-stemmed (you can buy them this way). If you can sample before you buy, seems like fresher (still chewy) dried Arbol pods are tastier, and older, drier pods can be bitter.

At any rate just stew them together with a peeled tomato or three, depending on how hot you want it, then just mash it up once the pods soften up. Or puree it if you want. Salt to taste.

You can also add a few cloves of garlic, or, esp. if you puree it, a few drops of white vinegar. Keeps better that way.

You can also mix in some of the Chile Japones that Mexican grocery stores all seem to carry now, these can round out the flavor profile of the Arbol.

i char the shit outta of some tomatoes, jalapenos, arbol chilis and yellow onions on either a grill or in my black iron skillet.  whether they get peeled or not depends on my mood. 

anyway, they get added to a blender with a shit ton of cilantro, some cumin, Mexican oregano, red wine vinegar, juice of one lime, olive oil for shine and sea salt to taste.  pulse it until it has the right consistency for you and you're done.

if you want a sweeter salsa, add a can of San Marzano tomatoes.

5 medium tomatoes

1 sweet yellow onion 

3-5 Serrano peppers with seeds

handful of cilantro

2 cloves garlic

1lime

comino(cumin to taste)

salt

place tomatoes, Serranos, and onion on outdoor grill and cook until skin is blackened

squeeze the juice of one lime in the bottom of a blender, add garlic, cilantro, blackened veggies until it becomes as chunky or smooth as you like, add comino and salt to taste

(note) I leave all the blackened skin on my veggies, I think it adds flavor.

It's pretty much the standard 4-5 tomato, 1 onion, 3-4 garlic cloves, cilantro, jalepenos base recipe that everyone is posting. 

Instead of grilling/blackening, I smoke my tomato, onion, garlic, and jalepenos for ~30 min. Usually do this before I start smoking ribs. The smokey flavor is a nice connection of sorts to the dinner that's about to come.

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

5 medium tomatoes

1 sweet yellow onion 

3-5 Serrano peppers with seeds

handful of cilantro

2 cloves garlic

1lime

comino(cumin to taste)

salt

place tomatoes, Serranos, and onion on outdoor grill and cook until skin is blackened

squeeze the juice of one lime in the bottom of a blender, add garlic, cilantro, blackened veggies until it becomes as chunky or smooth as you like, add comino and salt to taste

(note) I leave all the blackened skin on my veggies, I think it adds flavor.

This is close enough to mine to call it mine.   

Given that all of these recipes are pretty much the same and the one time I made homemade salsa, I didn’t even have a recipe and it was outstanding...I guess it must be pretty hard to fuck it up.

In the blender...some tomatoes, onion, peppers, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.  Use fresh ingredients and I’m guessing just about any version of that will be better than most from a jar or restaurant.

1 can (28 oz) of whole peeled tomatoes

1 small onion diced fine

1 teaspoon cumin

1 jalapeno + 1 serrano dry roasted and diced.  Use seeds, skin and all

Bit of cilantro, never measured it but it's not a lot... just enough to know it's in there

1 decent size clove of garlic minced

2 chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce from the can.  

About ½ tablespoon of salt

1 medium size lime

Put everything in the blender.  Squeeze the lime juice in.  Pulse a few times with the blender.

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Given that all of these recipes are pretty much the same and the one time I made homemade salsa, I didn’t even have a recipe and it was outstanding...I guess it must be pretty hard to fuck it up.

Seriously. It's not rocket science. In a pinch, pulse together a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of serranos or jalapenos.  Even something that simple is pretty damn good.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:49 PM, BearCountry11 said:

Looking for some good salsa recipes to add to the rotation.  We love salsa that brings some heat but I haven’t found one online that hits the spot.  Any good ones on this board?

Simple is best:

In a blender, mix:

1 box/package cherry/sunburst tomatoes

2 medium size campari tomatoes

1-2 Jalapenos

1/2 sweet yellow onion

1/4 avocado (for a little body)

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2  of a fresh squeezed lime

Salt and Pepper to taste ( i use a couple teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon pepper, but i like it on the saltier side)

15 hours ago, HouTex said:

How long do y'all generally wait before serving homemade salsa? Does it need several hours or a day for the flavors to meld?

I served mine right away and it got rave reviews.  However, I did put a bunch of it in a jar to keep and it was noticeably better the next day.  But I’d say it went from like a 9.5 to a 10...not like a 5 to a 10 or anything.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I served mine right away and it got rave reviews.  However, I did put a bunch of it in a jar to keep and it was noticeably better the next day.  But I’d say it went from like a 9.5 to a 10...not like a 5 to a 10 or anything.

Yeah, I generally make it fresh and eat it within hours.  But it does tend to improve somewhat with some melding time.