The Northman

Dennis Taylor

• 3 months later...

Hey another Skarsgard playing a Viking. If you go back and look at that family’s portray of ancient / medieval characters, primarily Celtic / Viking “barbarians”, it’s astounding. Still I’ll watch just about anything Stellan or Alexander are in and this is no exception. 

Just got home from seeing this movie.

It is really good. Not quite what I was expecting but damn it’s good and you’re fully immersed in a completely foreign culture that’s never been on film like this.

I was glad to see Anya Taylor-Joy has no qualms about nudity and I look forward to her having a very long career.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is a movie I am definitely going to go see in the big theater.  It was great hearing Alexander Skarsgard (even better seeing him), but I want to see it on the big screen.

Not sure if you’ve been yet, but the Drafthouse in FiDi is great for this kind of movie. The sound they have going there is top notch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not sure if you’ve been yet, but the Drafthouse in FiDi is great for this kind of movie. The sound they have going there is top notch. 

I have not, but that is good to know.  I love what New York Magazine says about this movie.  It os very accurate.  

Robert Eggers - he of The Witch and The Lighthouse - is back with what is surely his most ambitious period myth to date: an insanely violent, stylized, fevered Viking revenge epic.  Visceral, psychologically complex, and quite possibly the most metal movie ever made.

I am of scandanvian blood, first generation american on my mothers side. I am into the mythology but I am not sure what to think about this. Your average person is not going to like it and that makes me ecstatic but it just kind of felt like a random story that was drawn out very long without a lot of character development or anything. Like you were dropped into an alternate universe and were suppose to know what was happening. I need more time before I decide how I feel. 

Just saw that it’s a bust at the box office.

We can’t have, or deserve, nice things. An original, visceral, challenging film can’t attract the average moviegoer. It has everything you’d think would bring the crowds. But, hey, we want our movies to be recycled and shallow enough that we can TikTok while watching. This is why we will get The Faster and the Furiouser 18 soon.

https://screenrant.com/northman-movie-box-office-bomb-budget/amp/

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Just saw that it’s a bust at the box office.

We can’t have, or deserve, nice things. An original, visceral, challenging film can’t attract the average moviegoer. It has everything you’d think would bring the crowds. But, hey, we want our movies to be recycled and shallow enough that we can TikTok while watching. This is why we will get The Faster and the Furiouser 18 soon.

https://screenrant.com/northman-movie-box-office-bomb-budget/amp/

It's a movie by a director who is largely unknown to the average moviegoer (and to the degree he is known, it's for being weird and esoteric), with lead actors who are either unknown or known from niche TV shows, plus it's pretty fucking weird and gory. I'm not sure Gladiator is a hit if it had been directed by Spike Jonze or Danny Boyle and starred Luke Perry and Tilda Swinton and had a bunch of bizarre ancient religious imagery and prophecy and witchcraft.