Breakfast Tacos

Spoosner

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Laredo Taco Company is opening at a new flagship / concept test 7-Eleven store on Sylvan at 30.  

I went to the soft opening earlier this week.  It's way fancier than the gas station Laredo Taco Company spots in the Valley*, but damn, this is Valley food.  Excellent!  I am from the Valley but live in Oak Cliff.  There are all sorts of good taco spots around here and a Taco Deli, but none do a good South Texas style flour tortilla breakfast taco (the closest is the Taco Cabana at Cochrell Hill).   I had the papas con huevo, which was made the homestyle way -- not scrambled eggs with something on top -- fried up together in one pan, perfectly seasoned.  I don't eat many flour tortillas any more, but these will be the exception.  I can't wait to try the picadillo and other lunch items that I hope are also seasoned like they are in the Valley.   Around here, the Mexican food is way too often from Oaxaca or other interior parts of Mexican.  It's good, just different.  This is home cooking for me.  If you have been to the Valley, you know Laredo Taco Company from just about every Stripes down there.  This is their first spot in Dallas.

*The 7-Eleven store itself will be different.  I didn't' get to go all the way into the store, but I understand it will have craft beer available on tap for growlers and maybe also wine on tap.  There will be a coffee bar, smoothies and kombucha also on tap.  Gentrification!   

Edited by DFWTexEx
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Coworker ordered the new-founded "Migas" taco from Rusty Taco this morning and it was too much for her to eat. Unfortunately I think it is a limited time offering, because here is the description and a picture:

The Migas Taco features a base of warm scrambled eggs and chorizo hash (fried potatoes, onions, peppers and chorizo), which is topped with fried jalapeños and crumbled tortilla chips, and covered in creamy queso and Rojo salsa inside a fresh flour tortilla.

20190417-095552.jpg

Legit one of the best breakfast tacos I've ever had. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Coworker ordered the new-founded "Migas" taco from Rusty Taco this morning and it was too much for her to eat. Unfortunately I think it is a limited time offering, because here is the description and a picture:

The Migas Taco features a base of warm scrambled eggs and chorizo hash (fried potatoes, onions, peppers and chorizo), which is topped with fried jalapeños and crumbled tortilla chips, and covered in creamy queso and Rojo salsa inside a fresh flour tortilla.

20190417-095552.jpg

Legit one of the best breakfast tacos I've ever had. 

Oh shit...I think I know who that coworker is.  If it's who I'm thinking of, she has aids.  You likely now have aids.

But I do trust your opinion on tacos and I will be getting a non-aidsy one for myself soon.

33 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Oh shit...I think I know who that coworker is.  If it's who I'm thinking of, she has aids.  You likely now have aids.

But I do trust your opinion on tacos and I will be getting a non-aidsy one for myself soon.

Nah that's the best part. She gave me the whole thing. Just like I gave her the whole thing later.

Also - Rusty has stepped up their game recently. Chicken fajita is bomb, fried chicken "team fave" style (rip off of the torchy's trailer park but better imo), their brisket tacos ain't bad. Decent fried fish on corn. Great chips and queso. (actually the chips are crack cocaine - fav tortilla chips out there)

Just stay away from the guac. It's a pitiful mess of ingredients ruining perfectly good avocados. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nah that's the best part. She gave me the whole thing. Just like I gave her the whole thing later.

Also - Rusty has stepped up their game recently. Chicken fajita is bomb, fried chicken "team fave" style (rip off of the torchy's trailer park but better imo), their brisket tacos ain't bad. Decent fried fish on corn. Great chips and queso. (actually the chips are crack cocaine - fav tortilla chips out there)

Just stay away from the guac. It's a pitiful mess of ingredients ruining perfectly good avocados. 

Okay...Jesus I'm gonna have to write all this shit down before I go.  I think I got it though...no guac and no aids.  But definitely chips.  Got it.

• 2 years later...

Hit up Taco Ocho in Richardson? as it was near where Jr was doing some volunteer work, thought it was pretty good.  We both got the standard gringo egg, potato, bacon and cheese tacos and I added a brisket taco and we weren’t disappointed.  No idea how/where this place ranks in the Surly hierarchy.  Their salsa was really good also. 

E1EF104F-F455-416F-8475-52ADE808529A.thumb.jpeg.f443704170ac6c9c11da75e40489db05.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Hit up Taco Ocho in Richardson? as it was near where Jr was doing some volunteer work, thought it was pretty good.  We both got the standard gringo egg, potato, bacon and cheese tacos and I added a brisket taco and we weren’t disappointed.  No idea how/where this place ranks in the Surly hierarchy.  Their salsa was really good also. 

E1EF104F-F455-416F-8475-52ADE808529A.thumb.jpeg.f443704170ac6c9c11da75e40489db05.jpeg

It’s really close to where we live.  I wouldn’t recommend anyone go out of their way, but we are frequent customers.  Solid above average breakfast tacos.

• Like 1

Laredo Taco Company is opening at a new flagship / concept test 7-Eleven store on Sylvan at 30.  
I went to the soft opening earlier this week.  It's way fancier than the gas station Laredo Taco Company spots in the Valley*, but damn, this is Valley food.  Excellent!  I am from the Valley but live in Oak Cliff.  There are all sorts of good taco spots around here and a Taco Deli, but none do a good South Texas style flour tortilla breakfast taco (the closest is the Taco Cabana at Cochrell Hill).   I had the papas con huevo, which was made the homestyle way -- not scrambled eggs with something on top -- fried up together in one pan, perfectly seasoned.  I don't eat many flour tortillas any more, but these will be the exception.  I can't wait to try the picadillo and other lunch items that I hope are also seasoned like they are in the Valley.   Around here, the Mexican food is way too often from Oaxaca or other interior parts of Mexican.  It's good, just different.  This is home cooking for me.  If you have been to the Valley, you know Laredo Taco Company from just about every Stripes down there.  This is their first spot in Dallas.
*The 7-Eleven store itself will be different.  I didn't' get to go all the way into the store, but I understand it will have craft beer available on tap for growlers and maybe also wine on tap.  There will be a coffee bar, smoothies and kombucha also on tap.  Gentrification!   
I just noticed that the new 7-11 on 380 headed out of Princeton has a Laredo Taco in it. I'm from Harlingen so definitely will be hitting it up soon.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had some pretty good bacon/ potato breakfast tacos from the La Banqueta locations on Carroll and Gaston.  They have the jalepeno/ dona style salsa, as well as a hotter orange/ taqueria-style salsa.  Need to get over for lunch, and try their pastor.

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, LosIllini said:

Had some pretty good bacon/ potato breakfast tacos from the La Banqueta locations on Carroll and Gaston.  They have the jalepeno/ dona style salsa, as well as a hotter orange/ taqueria-style salsa.  Need to get over for lunch, and try their pastor.

It's good.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, LosIllini said:

You have to try pretty hard to fuck up bacon and potatoes, though.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Both Tacos said:
On 3/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, DFWTexEx said:

I just noticed that the new 7-11 on 380 headed out of Princeton has a Laredo Taco in it. I'm from Harlingen so definitely will be hitting it up soon.

I've tried a couple the locations and both the brisket tacos and pork tacos are consistently good (tortillas made on site).  First time I heard of it was when David Beebee took Anthony Bourdain to one in a Stripes Gas Station in Marfa on Parts Unknown.

Edited by dcbc