Marvel's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

mdmost

I enjoy Sam Raimi and time travel/parallel worlds kinds of stories, but I don't give a shit about any of the miscellaneous and wide-ranging superhero entertainment aside from the Legion TV show, which I thought was excellent. 

Will I enjoy this movie, or is it a waste of time without having any backstory? I skimmed the non-spoilered portions of this thread and none of it was at all meaningful to me. 

15 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I will fight you if Season Two Episode One is not included because I absolutely loved A Scandal in Belgravia. The way they took one of my favorite canon pieces (Scandal in Bohemia) and twisted it just so was a gem. Plus the accompanying music was quite enjoyable. And I expect some of you appreciated Lara Pulver as well.

Agree.

Back to Dr. Strange. I am so far behind in the movies I don't think I will ever quite catch up in order and it won't matter all that much to me, but we're going to see this one next week when the fury dies down a little.

I watched like, Iron Man, and a couple of Thors, and some Avengers, and Guardians because the soundtrack kicked ass.  And Daredevil and Jessica Jones.  If I wasn't a comics nerd this movie would make no sense at all.  There is no way I can ever catch up on all the movies.

I enjoy Sam Raimi and time travel/parallel worlds kinds of stories, but I don't give a shit about any of the miscellaneous and wide-ranging superhero entertainment aside from the Legion TV show, which I thought was excellent. 
Will I enjoy this movie, or is it a waste of time without having any backstory? I skimmed the non-spoilered portions of this thread and none of it was at all meaningful to me. 

WandaVision is the main prerequisite. There are some callbacks to the first Dr Strange. I’m glad I watched it the day before the sequel. What If? is also referenced.
  • Hook 'Em 2

In general all of the marvel movies are pretty well done. They have a high floor in the parlance of the recruiting board. That said... 

Spoiler

I just never got into the Wanda heel turn. I thought they buttoned that up in the TV show. It kinda feels like the end of game of thrones when I'm watching it asking myself, "why is this bitch burning down the whole world again? Does this make any sense?" And then Wanda snaps out of it when the kids freak on her and she suddenly realizes that the throne thingy on the mountain needs to be destroyed. It just didn't work for me. If I could have bought in more to her motivation, then I think I would have liked it a lot better because everything else seemed pretty solid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In general all of the marvel movies are pretty well done. They have a high floor in the parlance of the recruiting board. That said... 

Hide contents

I just never got into the Wanda heel turn. I thought they buttoned that up in the TV show. It kinda feels like the end of game of thrones when I'm watching it asking myself, "why is this bitch burning down the whole world again? Does this make any sense?" And then Wanda snaps out of it when the kids freak on her and she suddenly realizes that the throne thingy on the mountain needs to be destroyed. It just didn't work for me. If I could have bought in more to her motivation, then I think I would have liked it a lot better because everything else seemed pretty solid. 

Kind or wordy, but yeah.

I thought it was decent.  Okay.  Mediocre.  

Spoiler

Strange is such a cool character, and they've made two pretty meh movies with him, which really sucks.  I liked how they tried something a bit different with Raimi but it wasn't scary and with the requisite light on character of most Raimi films, this just felt light.... unsubstantial.  Cool F/X.  Cameos were nice although too short, but ultimately just a mediocre contribution to the MCEU and this is becoming an alarmingly trend.  Let's see if Taiki can pull something out of his ass again.

Not a bad movie..... just not a great one.  I don't think it'll be a great rewatch after maybe one time either....

• Hook 'Em 1

wife wanted to go for mom's day.  we and the kids had consumed wandavision and the what ifs so pretty much knew what was going on.

Spoiler

overall thought it was great.  could have used a little (ok a lot) more of the battle between the illuminati and wanda.  but wanda was just brutal and basically pulled an Indy vs the sword guy.  kids were commenting on how scary the lighting made her look in the sanctum with the blood on her face.  she was definitely looking/acting like a zombie chasing them in the tunnels.  Also could have used a little more during the battle at Kamar-Taj.  all the relics and powerful weapons and they are rocking bows vs wanda?  maybe i was wanting some helm's deep action, but i guess they needed to move the story along.

Not the best Marvel movie, but not the worst either. It was pretty good and I think introduced some things (Illuminati, Mutants, etc.) and tied some things off (I think). 

Spoiler

I actually don’t care for the “horror” aspect of it, but I know some folks were excited to see it. 

Wanda wrecking shop was pretty cool and showed just how powerful she was. I think this was one thing that actually got tied off - her destroying the dark hold kind of knocks her down on the power scale back to being a strong sorceress but not extreme power as the scarlet witch. But I’m happy to be proven wrong on that one (I’ve never read any of the comics so I don’t know what her path is). I assume she didn’t die in the rubble. 

I think this gives strange the idea to assemble the Illuminati in the “main” universe and we start to build that group in the future movies - Namor after he’s introduced, maybe Hank Pym?, new Black Panther, etc  

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:
  Hide contents

Manifestation of the Eye of Agamotto, basically enhanced powers of insight and perspective into people.  It's possible he starts to be corrupted by it though.

Spoiler

One Eye to rule them all,

One Eye to see them,

One Eye to fool them all,

And with its power deceive them.

Finally something different from Marvel. It's miles better than Shang Chi and Eternals. Shang Chi was too cookie cutter and Eternals was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

I'm glad they let Raini run loose just a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ending reminded me a bit of the Spiderman 2 ending, complete with the villain being snapped back into reality and overpowering the force that was holding sway over them and then ensuring no one else would face the object they obsessed over that led them down the dark path. 

Thought it was awesome and am glad it wasn't just another paint by numbers Marvel film. I never watched Wandavision either but didn't have much trouble following. I'm sure I would have picked up on some things that went over my head had I watched it first.

Sam Raimi is the man.

It was certainly different.  I appreciated that.  

I thought the casting of America Chavez was a huge whiff.  The opening scene was distractingly bad.  I'm not saying you need to have D1 athleticism or anything to passably jump and dart in front of a green screen, but that actress was distractingly unathletic and uncoordinated.  It reminded me of the actress who plays Samantha in Cobra Kai and kills any action scene she is in.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm not saying you need to have D1 athleticism or anything to passably jump and dart in front of a green screen, but that actress was distractingly unathletic and uncoordinated. 

Nothing is quite as bad as in the final battle of the first Avengers movie and Scarlett Jo’s attempt at running. Looks just like a fat chick in PE class who’d never ran 2 steps in her life. It gets over looked because she’s hot and at least you can look at her ass in the shot.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, South Austin said:

Not a fan. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, Frank The Tank said:

This was terrible. Worst Marvel movie I’ve seen and possibly worst movie I’ve ever seen. Wife agreed, and we’ve both been huge fans up to now. 

I am stunned by the number of people saying this was a good movie... Its terrible at best, and literally death incarnate at worst.  

This is also a movie you absolutely can NOT take a younger kid to.  Its a borderline horror movie. 

Its NOT fun, at all... there is supposed to be fun in a comicbook movie, even a dark one.   This just sucked royal ass. 

the abosolute ONLY interesting fallback was the reveal of the illuminati...... and even that was underwhealming. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

whats this mean tho? 

more powers?

Hide contents

The meaning of Doctor Strange's third eye – Auralcrave

Spoiler

He used The Darkhold, which, even though he only used it briefly, corrupts those who use it. 

I enjoyed it. Solid B. 

Spoiler

The X-Men animated series theme playing when Xavier rolled out was a nice touch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch said:
  Hide contents

He used The Darkhold, which, even though he only used it briefly, corrupts those who use it. 

I enjoyed it. Solid B. 

Hide contents

The X-Men animated series theme playing when Xavier rolled out was a nice touch.

Solid B is what I’d give it as well

On 5/7/2022 at 2:49 PM, CooterBrown said:

This was really good and moves along like a freight train. It is definitely a Sam Raimi film. It’s basically a Marvel Evil Dead movie.

Oh thaaat's who Sam Raimi is? That makes a bit more sense of the movie to me. I saw it last night, thought it was pretty good. Thought the pacing was kinda frantic, but I guess by now we should know wtf is going on. The other thing that threw me off was the dialogue and feel of the movie was kinda..... YA. The witchcraft stuff didn't help, but kinda how they introduced conflict and figured out how to resolve it, felt "young". I understand it's a comic book movie, but I hadn't necessarily felt that way about previous Marvel movies. Could have been the teenager in the film too, not that she did bad, but it kinda softens the movie up. I think she's even younger than Peter Parker is supposed to be, or feels like it. 

Just saw it. Didn't hate it but definitely mediocre. Really threw me off right from the beginning when Strange was saying "What, there are multiverses and they're real? Tell me more!"

Mother fucker, we just watched you in the latest Spiderman literally bring people in and out of multiverses.

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Hook 'Em 1