Texas -10.5 over Maryland

bschoolprof

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Our defense shit the bed in this game....big time.

The defense is what kept the team in many games last year as well such as: USC & Oklahoma, and gave time for the offense to get rolling (some)...

I expect improvement from Colt's offense, and think that UT will be able to put a product on the field that could be the best in the Lone Star State..!

26 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Our defense shit the bed in this game....big time.

On one hand, yes. Absolutely. We gave up more than 250 yards rushing. Inexcusable. On the other, we scored three non-offensive touchdowns at home and lost. To fucking Maryland.

It takes a special brand of stupid football to fuck up something like that.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, yes. Absolutely. We gave up more than 250 yards rushing. Inexcusable. On the other, we scored three non-offensive touchdowns at home and lost. To fucking Maryland.

It takes a special brand of stupid football to fuck up something like that.

The defense will have another year under it's belt in learning the new sets & schemes that the players should be more comfortable with identifying how to keep opponents offense in check/ the plays in front of them...

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

The defense will have another year under it's belt in learning the new sets & schemes that the players should be more comfortable with identifying how to keep opponents offense in check/ the plays in front of them...

Obviously. And clearly that wasn't the same defense we saw the rest of the season.

There were a confluence of factors that led to that loss, not the least of it was a terrible fourth quarter decision to go for it on fourth down at midfield instead of pinning back their true freshman (IIRC) QB and making him drive the length of the field. Lots of stupid to go around that game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Obviously. And clearly that wasn't the same defense we saw the rest of the season.

There were a confluence of factors that led to that loss, not the least of it was a terrible fourth quarter decision to go for it on fourth down at midfield instead of pinning back their true freshman (IIRC) QB and making him drive the length of the field. Lots of stupid to go around that game.

Yep, that’s when we were first introduced to the “notebook” that makes all the tough gameday decisions.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would put that loss as more of a coaching "1st game jitters", as if you flip the first 2 games with San Jose State being the 1st/ Maryland the 2nd, UT is easily 2-0...

if Texas loses this game I expect tom to stop before he gets in the locker room and tell the reporters he understands his job is on the line and I expect him to name those responsible for the loss (no players all coaches) and I expect that he will say how long they have to correct their coaching before they are fired and I expect it will be the USC game at the longest

That was a loss last year AT HOME to Maryland that had a coach in his second season and a Maryland team that won THREE other games besides the ass kicking they gave to Texas

a Maryland team that hung 51 on Texas while giving up 41 and that had a 4 game streak to end the season where they did not score 51 points combined in those 4 games and another 3 game streak in the middle of the season where they did not score 51 points combined

if Texas loses this game it means that the defense has totally gone in the shitter and that is unacceptable or it means the defense is either as good or better than last year (which was only actually GOOD in a few games, but that showed improvement over time)  and the offense sucks such major dicks that they will never improve especially with the current coaching staff and that falls 1,000,000% on Tom because the offense is his gig

or it means that somehow Charlie Strong is coaching the special teams for Texas while also at USF and that is really fucking unacceptable

I do not want to hear bullshit about flow charts and stats sheets and special books and decision trees I expect to see improvement in all aspects of the game and especially offense and special teams with no let down on defense and if that is not apparent from game one and on I expect heads will roll before the end of the season and really before the half way mark of the season

I realize these are pretty big expectations, but when you get ass raped by Maryland with a second year coach making $2.5 million a year AT HOME to start the season and that Maryland team only wins 3 other games (including a D1-AA game) the rest of the fucking season you better slaughter them to open the season the next year even more so at a neutral site that should have plenty of Texas fans in attendance.....all the more so when you make $5 million a year, you have your $10,000 lockers and you know the offense sucked dicks last year and you 100% stuck with your guy and your game plan while knowing that was questionable and knowing that it was questionable if you had the QBs to make that work

add in the special teams and the overall coaching decisions (when you have Deloitte Anderson Cooper Touche Errwon and Young making your coaching decision skill set determinators and critical evaluations for you) and how badly that all sucked last year in many games and you better get that shit under control or you can mensa the fuck out of here

• Like 3

That was a loss last year AT HOME to Maryland that had a coach in his second season and a Maryland team that won THREE other games besides the ass kicking they gave to Texas

To their extremely minor credit, we knocked their 2 best QBs out for the season and by far their best defensive player went down for good shortly after. We're the only team that had to play them when they were fully operational.

Still fucking sucked, though.

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

if Texas loses this game I expect tom to stop before he gets in the locker room and tell the reporters he understands his job is on the line and I expect him to name those responsible for the loss (no players all coaches) and I expect that he will say how long they have to correct their coaching before they are fired and I expect it will be the USC game at the longest

a Maryland team that hung 51 on Texas while giving up 41 and that had a 4 game streak to end the season where they did not score 51 points combined in those 4 games and another 3 game streak in the middle of the season where they did not score 51 points combined

if Texas loses this game it means that the defense has totally gone in the shitter and that is unacceptable or it means the defense is either as good or better than last year (which was only actually GOOD in a few games, but that showed improvement over time)  and the offense sucks such major dicks that they will never improve especially with the current coaching staff and that falls 1,000,000% on Tom because the offense is his gig

or it means that somehow Charlie Strong is coaching the special teams for Texas while also at USF and that is really fucking unacceptable

I do not want to hear bullshit about flow charts and stats sheets and special books and decision trees I expect to see improvement in all aspects of the game and especially offense and special teams with no let down on defense and if that is not apparent from game one and on I expect heads will roll before the end of the season and really before the half way mark of the season

I realize these are pretty big expectations, but when you get ass raped by Maryland with a second year coach making $2.5 million a year AT HOME to start the season and that Maryland team only wins 3 other games (including a D1-AA game) the rest of the fucking season you better slaughter them to open the season the next year even more so at a neutral site that should have plenty of Texas fans in attendance.....all the more so when you make $5 million a year, you have your $10,000 lockers and you know the offense sucked dicks last year and you 100% stuck with your guy and your game plan while knowing that was questionable and knowing that it was questionable if you had the QBs to make that work

add in the special teams and the overall coaching decisions (when you have Deloitte Anderson Cooper Touche Errwon and Young making your coaching decision skill set determinators and critical evaluations for you) and how badly that all sucked last year in many games and you better get that shit under control or you can mensa the fuck out of here

Sweet. Another "here's what I demand the coach to say!" when hypothetical X occurs. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Yeah, no.

• Like 1

The Maryland game had to happen.

Texas has talented athletes at every position. What they lacked was trust. Someone would miss a tackle or alignment, his buddies would get to thinking rather than playing. They'd try to anticipate mistakes rather than play their position. It led to everyone getting to the ball a second too late.

During last summer, the defense learned to trust the coaches and each other. They spent the whole summer learning to rely and scheme and their buddies. They were ready!

Then, during the 2nd quarter of the Maryland game, they faced adversity. Someone made a mistake. The team panicked. They forgot what they'd practiced, and went right back to playing like they had the year before. As a result, mistakes created mistakes. The snowball rolled just enough that Texas stood on its own field looking like the kid who threw up at his own birthday party.

I believe Todd Orlando used that tape. I believe he asked his unit to try things his way. Don't think. When the scheme is called, know your role. When the ball is snapped, execute it violently. Trust that your buddies will do the same. Mistakes will happen. Tackles will be missed. Get right back up, and go again. In the end, the opponent won't be able to match your intensity, and they'll be forced to react to the defense - rather than dictate terms.

Before you're old and wise, you have to be young and stupid. It's why we like older players. They've got talent, yes, but they've already made the mistakes and (hopefully) learned. The defense had to come through Maryland in order to prove that trusting your coaches and teammates was the way to go. It's now up to the players, as they age out and new ones come in, to teach that lesson.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 2:03 PM, kopp0e said:

There is one eerie similarity about year two under Strong and Herman on the defensive side of the ball. In year 1, the defense held us in games all year long under both coaches. In year 2, the defense lost the starting Nose (Malcom Brown, Poona Ford), Linebacker (Jordan Hicks, Malik Jefferson), and Safety (Mykkele Thompson, Deshon Elliott) right up the middle of the defense and the defense took a major step back in year 2 under Strong. I believe that Orlando will have the guys much more fundamentally sound this time around, but it would not surprise me to see us give up more yards and points this year.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is one eerie similarity about year two under Strong and Herman on the defensive side of the ball. In year 1, the defense held us in games all year long under both coaches. In year 2, the defense lost the starting Nose (Malcom Brown, Poona Ford), Linebacker (Jordan Hicks, Malik Jefferson), and Safety (Mykkele Thompson, Deshon Elliott) right up the middle of the defense and the defense took a major step back in year 2 under Strong. I believe that Orlando will have the guys much more fundamentally sound this time around, but it would not surprise me to see us give up more yards and points this year.  

Agreed. One difference is that despite the loss of those standouts, we still have veteran talent at all three levels of the defense, and won't be forced to start freshmen.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Agreed. One difference is that despite the loss of those standouts, we still have veteran talent at all three levels of the defense, and won't be forced to start freshmen.

Are you trying to tell me that Freshman Malik Jefferson was not better than Senior Gary Johnson? I call bullshit.

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I actually agree with you, but feel with the overturn at starting quarterback within the conference, that UT will do better than last season as long as the offense becomes more productive on sustained drives... The big test will be the out of conference games, especially USC (who also replaces a starting quarterback)...

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is it just my cursory memory, or do we not play very well at neutral sites the last 10 years?  

Most of our neutral site games in the last 10 years have been in the Cotton Bowl against OU, so no, we haven't. Although since you said "last 10 years", our record looks quite a bit better than if you said this past decade, which is what I suspect you meant.

Edited by Machinator

Guest Lobo

Yes, and I was thinking of bowl game performance, OU obviously, but that UCLA shitshow, that Rice game at Reliant where we barely won, and I feel like we had one another shitshow performance in there somewhere too at a neutral site.  And yeah, since 2009 season, or 2010, or however.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, and I was thinking of bowl game performance, OU obviously, but that UCLA shitshow, that Rice game at Reliant where we barely won, and I feel like we had one another shitshow performance in there somewhere too at a neutral site.  And yeah, since 2009 season, or 2010, or however.  

Perhaps, but nobody on the roster played in those games, so it's not a particularly worthwhile talking point. From the coaching staff, only Giles was there in the early 2010s (and not a part of the Strong era).

Guest Lobo

Point taken. But I sure as shit hope they practice how to call a fucking coin flip before a neutral site game where home/away is not such settled science.  

On 6/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, ButtFumble said:

I like your moxy!!!

19 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Orlando will have the defense squared away.  I feel confident about that (well, as confident as one can be about Texas football in the last decade).  

I have no faith in the offense.  None.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

I'm with you on this one. There is nothing we saw from a year ago that can inspire even a fucking shred of hope regarding offense coming into this season. I expect the same terrible bullshit from the coaching staff on offense that we witnessed all last year. I expect terrible playcalling with nothing resembling an actual plan and even worse personnel decision-making. It won't shock me in the fucking least if these morons don't even start Anderson at LT to open the game against Maryland. 

Anyone expecting anything better from the same offensive fuckheads on the coaching staff has their head planted firmly up their asshole. I expect Texas to win in spite of that because of the defense and because it is Maryland. I expect that Texas will win 9+ games this year in spite of the absolute ineptitude of Beck, Warehime, and Mehringer because of the defense, conference talent turnover, and at some point, Herman will be required to start calling the plays on offense.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with you on this one. There is nothing we saw from a year ago that can inspire even a fucking shred of hope regarding offense coming into this season. I expect the same terrible bullshit from the coaching staff on offense that we witnessed all last year. I expect terrible playcalling with nothing resembling an actual plan and even worse personnel decision-making. It won't shock me in the fucking least if these morons don't even start Anderson at LT to open the game against Maryland. 

Anyone expecting anything better from the same offensive fuckheads on the coaching staff has their head planted firmly up their asshole. I expect Texas to win in spite of that because of the defense and because it is Maryland. I expect that Texas will win 9+ games this year in spite of the absolute ineptitude of Beck, Warehime, and Mehringer because of the defense, conference talent turnover, and at some point, Herman will be required to start calling the plays on offense.

Someone spiked your koolaid with some weird shit man.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Herb Hand joined the staff, so not entirely the same group of fuckheads. But please, continue. It sounds like next you were going to run your car in a closed garage, but then predicted 9+ wins. I’m intrigued