The Bag Game (How does it work?)

ApocalypseTexas

Surely we have some posters that have some knowledge on how this actually works and maybe some examples to share.  

I have a couple questions.

If the "bag game" is so prevalent in college football why don't we hear more stories or incidents about players that flipped the switch on the bag men, took the money and went to a different school.  The only incident I have ever heard of is Eric Dickerson and that was a long time ago.  What is to keep a kid from flipping to another school once he has the money?  It's not like these kids are dealing with the cartel or something these boosters that are paying players are what, a bunch of rich fans fronting money? What can they really do if I kid gets the money and walks away giving them the finger as he goes?  There are all kinds of dynamics to this issue that are never discussed.  All you hear about is players are being paid on the side etc etc but I have never really seen the big story about a player that was paid.  

Is there an ESPN 30for30 or some other show that really dives into players being paid?  I know it happens I have personally talked to division one players from the 80's that were given money handshakes after a game but none were given money up front to go that school.  

Anyone have any good stories I mean we are in the off season now and this is recruiting related lets get it all out there.  

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

https://www.bannersociety.com/platform/amp/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

Pretty easy to Google. You must have missed the story at Tennessee with McDonald’s bags and the story about Laremy Tunsil that made headlines. 

Excellent thanks,  I did not come across that article when I googled.  

33 minutes ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

Surely we have some posters that have some knowledge on how this actually works and maybe some examples to share.  

I have a couple questions.

If the "bag game" is so prevalent in college football why don't we hear more stories or incidents about players that flipped the switch on the bag men, took the money and went to a different school.  The only incident I have ever heard of is Eric Dickerson and that was a long time ago.  What is to keep a kid from flipping to another school once he has the money?  It's not like these kids are dealing with the cartel or something these boosters that are paying players are what, a bunch of rich fans fronting money? What can they really do if I kid gets the money and walks away giving them the finger as he goes?  There are all kinds of dynamics to this issue that are never discussed.  All you hear about is players are being paid on the side etc etc but I have never really seen the big story about a player that was paid.  

Is there an ESPN 30for30 or some other show that really dives into players being paid?  I know it happens I have personally talked to division one players from the 80's that were given money handshakes after a game but none were given money up front to go that school.  

Anyone have any good stories I mean we are in the off season now and this is recruiting related lets get it all out there.  

You get money for various stages of the recruitment. Visiting, committing and signing. The new wrinkle introduced with the portal is that the $ has to keep coming after they sign

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wrote articles for Barking Carnival back in the day that covered the street agent game. We broke it all down on Shaggy recruiting threads and many times here on Surly. Good luck with your research!

Lulz are you suggesting this poor sap utilize the search feature on these sites to get the answers to his questions? No offense to mods, but Serge and Larry ain’t running that shit…

It obviously pays to cheat.  The college bball Top 15 is a who's who of teams that were supposedly in BIG trouble within the past few years.

Hell, Bruce Pearl was show-caused and Auburn just got busted again for cheating.  Nothing.  Weren't Arizona and Kansas supposed to be screwed via the Nike (or was it Adidas) scandal?

Aggy somehow convinced a bunch of out-of-state 5 stars to come to their underachieving, bumblefuck school.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

The bag game is simple. It involves clandestine and fraudulent moving of money thru complicit organizations that are tax exempt to avoid taxes or appropriately account for the taxes thru false book keeping. 

The bag game is exactly the same as all of the other white collar criminal finance crimes that the boosters are already committing with their car dealerships, quick loan shops, hole in the wall restaurants, churches and bogus charities. This method of making and hiding money is extremely common and easy.

different schools have different levels of organization. Bama has had a type ‘dues’ system set up for many years between a large number of boosters and there is a club type of consensus. A&M has been copying that setup.

Texas on the other hand has many competing clicks which become stubborn and ego driven when negotiating between themselves. Big money comes from fewer people with less consensus. 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am a bit of an expert at the bag game and up to this point never felt comfortable sharing but now that I am older and  I am getting out of the game so can probably spill some secrets without risking much.

1.  Clean bags are key.  Again, make sure your bags are clean. Presentation is extremely important.

2.  Make sure your bags are full.  Half empty bags are distasteful and result in a potential poor response from recipient.

3.  Make sure your bags are welcome.  Consent is important, especially in this day of misconstrued intentions.

4. When the times right, gently lowet your bags on her nose.   Again, make sure to be gentle.

5.  Make sure lightning is appropriate for selfie. Post on I’d Pee in her butt board. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I am a bit of an expert at the bag game and up to this point never felt comfortable sharing but now that I am older and  I am getting out of the game so can probably spill some secrets without risking much.

1.  Clean bags are key.  Again, make sure your bags are clean. Presentation is extremely important.

2.  Make sure your bags are full.  Half empty bags are distasteful and result in a potential poor response from recipient.

3.  Make sure your bags are welcome.  Consent is important, especially in this day of misconstrued intentions.

4. When the times right, gently lowet your bags on her nose.   Again, make sure to be gentle.

5.  Make sure lightning is appropriate for selfie. Post on I’d Pee in her butt board. 

Angry Parks And Recreation GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/23/2021 at 8:15 AM, ApocalypseTexas said:

What is to keep a kid from flipping to another school once he has the money?  It's not like these kids are dealing with the cartel or something these boosters that are paying players are what, a bunch of rich fans fronting money? What can they really do if I kid gets the money and walks away giving them the finger as he goes?

Well a lot of the time you're not ONLY dealing with Evan Ste.. errr.. the recruit themselves, but also a father, or uncle, maybe mom, and/or a trainer. You're not leaving it all on the kid, so you're bettering your odds of loyalty there by involving the adults (handlers). Now obviously the transfer portal will make reneging a lot easier.

Though NIL is here, I still see the recruiting bag game being utilized for the time being, though not as widespread as it is now and no doubt less effective. What's almost for sure going to die off is the on-campus game. Bags haven't just stopped when the kids sign. They'll still need the new Playstation/TV/iPhone while they're playing for your team. But now they can buy that after making a public appearance.