Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

5 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

He’s competitive enough. Their car isn’t consistent right now. I’d keep him for the marketing and to help Lando.

That’s my McLaren thinking, but what’s his?

Fucker is too happy go lucky on the surface, but you don’t get to where he is without serious competitive DNA.

I hope he stays and kicks ass, but I don’t know. Probably why I like him.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s fucking hot. Thank god for shade.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s so god damn hot.  

It's probably a good thing for y'all that you weren't in Austin this weekend. Hotter and pretty much the same humidity.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:04 PM, texas08 said:

Yeah I’m annoyed that we are just gonna watch wrecks tomorrow. Dumb as fuck course all around.

“Hey let’s build a difficult ass course on SHITTY parking lot pavement”.

How long is this contract I hope it’s a weekend long. What an embarrassment for F1. Lolz.

Vegas is like yeah, our shit is gonna be epic compared to that shit show.

They didn't. They excavated the entire circuit and then built it back up and paved it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

he's had his pubes transplanted on top of his bald ass head over the last couple years.  2020 you never saw him without a hat. 

Yeah, pretty sure he got a recommendation from Lewis ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

That’s my McLaren thinking, but what’s his?

Fucker is too happy go lucky on the surface, but you don’t get to where he is without serious competitive DNA.

I hope he stays and kicks ass, but I don’t know. Probably why I like him.

Yep, Danny's always had a seriously hard edge to him if you're paying attention imho. He just hides it pretty well with humor and goofiness. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:
That was just awful by Schumacher 

I missed it. What happened?

Both he and Vettel were in the points, very late in the race and heading into a turn Mick kind of dove in, didn’t have the room or the position, and took Vettel out of the race and himself out of points.  Very dumb

I had a blast. Yes it was tacky in all the ways that Miami is tacky. Yes it was a pain in the ass to get in and out (we did much better on day 2, a parking pass plus a pedi-cab were clutch). The fake marina was silly. It was hot as fuck and everything was insanely expensive (thank God I was on someone else’s dime). But seeing the spectacle in person was great fun, the cars are fantastic, and the scenery was jaw dropping. I don’t even really mind that I missed Sunday because I got to watch the whole race from the comfort of my couch after cooking brunch for the wife.

I’m totally happy with my first F1 experience and can’t wait to do it again.

• Hook 'Em 3

That experience was Peak Miami. Someone was playing a set in between every major intermission. There was always something to do. There were tons of food local food stalls that were better than expected. God it was so fucking hot though. Thankfully they had water stations everywhere. Like someone else said, ride share was fucked and the lines were insane. On Sunday we paid someone to park in their yard north of the stadium. It cost me $50 compared to he $300 on stubhub or ticketmaster. We got out after the race and after a 20 minute walk we got right on the highway with almost no traffic. I heard from tv watchers the race was boring but I sat at turn 1 and it felt like every lap there was something going on. I ended up paying $3000 for two, 3-day passes at turn 1 and I didn't regret it one bit. 

I did hear the people who paid for paddock passes were disappointed in the food quality, and that the cabanas were a giant waste of money so definitely a mixed bag in some places

A98C468E-41CE-41F0-9904-5809BC797206.jpeg

Edited by Noozak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That experience was Peak Miami. Someone was playing a set in between every major intermission. There was always something to do. There were tons of food local food stalls that were better than expected. God it was so fucking hot though. Thankfully they had water stations everywhere. Like someone else said, ride share was fucked and the lines were insane. On Sunday we paid someone to park in their yard north of the stadium. It cost me $50 compared to he $300 on stubhub or ticketmaster. We got out after the race and after a 20 minute walk we got right on the highway with almost no traffic. I heard from tv watchers the race was boring but I sat at turn 1 and it felt like every lap there was something going on. I ended up paying $3000 for two, 3-day passes at turn 1 and I didn't regret it one bit. 
I did hear the people who paid for paddock passes were disappointed in the food quality, and that the cabanas were a giant waste of money so definitely a mixed bag in some places

A98C468E-41CE-41F0-9904-5809BC797206.thumb.jpeg.9e66807eac539c00b2723a50f536d3b2.jpeg

Expanding on the paddock stuff:

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

sounds like i was accurate when i told people it was cheaper to to go imola than to miami. 

Maybe. Maybe not, if you're doing Paddock Club in both places. That price is set by F1, not the track.

8 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Gasly got five or fifteen seconds.

OK, thanks. I missed that penalty. They were just talking about it on another board & that's what reminded me of it. I guess they missed it too.

ETA: I'm googling & still can't find anything about a penalty for Gasly. When I try 'gasly penalty miami', only a bunch of stories about Alonso's penalty come up.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

OK, thanks. I missed that penalty. They were just talking about it on another board & that's what reminded me of it. I guess they missed it too.
ETA: I'm googling & still can't find anything about a penalty for Gasly. When I try 'gasly penalty miami', only a bunch of stories about Alonso's penalty come up.

Damn maybe I’m crazy. I swear I thought I heard it but I’m having the same results as you while trying to look it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

These comments from Otmar cast Alonso's chicane-cutting penalty in a different light ...

Alpine seeks FIA talks over "wholly unjust" Alonso F1 penalty https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpine-seeks-fia-talks-over-wholly-unjust-alonso-penalty/10303574/

Interesting point re: the Monaco chicane. I remember Lewis cutting that chicane with Danny right on his gearbox, keeping the position, and not getting so much as an investigation iirc.

Alonso made an error at the chicane and cut across it – which handed him a brief time advantage.

Although Alonso backed off twice on the following straight to try to give back any time he had gained with the move, the stewards were still not happy with how things were handled and punished him afterwards for gaining what it felt was a 'lasting advantage'.

The five-second sanction was enough to drop Alonso from ninth to 11th, and out of the points.

Alonso’s Alpine bosses are unhappy with the situation because they were offered no opportunity by the FIA to give more time back, and no chance for their driver to explain his actions, before being sanctioned.

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer believes the situation was especially unfair because the outfit and driver had no way of knowing exactly how much of an advantage that had to give back.

“We need to speak with the FIA at the next grand prix,” he said. “We need clarity on this. We need a way to say: ‘look, you've got to give more time back.’”

Szafnauer said that while it is easy for drivers to understand about giving back positions they gained while running off track, it is much harder for them to understand any time advantage they got if positions did not change.

That is why he thinks with Alonso having done all he thought was necessary – and furthermore raising his hand in the cockpit and then radioing to the team what he had done – that the FIA should have messaged the team to ask Alonso to slow more if they were not happy.

Looking back at the data, at most Alonso gained around two or three tenths from his actions - something that he could have easily been asked to give back.

Szafnauer added: “If you leave the track and gain an advantage, meaning you pass somebody that was ahead of you, then it's easy to determine: you’ve got to give the position back.

“But in this type of situation, where everybody's behind you, how can you tell? So you need that feedback. And I think it was wholly unjust to penalise him after.

“Those guys were behind them, and they ended up behind them. So what are you penalizing him for? Because he was marginally ahead.

“If he is marginally ahead, then make him give that little margin back, but don't give him a five-second penalty because he was two, three, or four tenths ahead in total.”

While the FIA’s stance has been that the onus is on teams and drivers to sort out giving time back, Szafnauer is clear that there are times when clearer messaging is needing.

“It would be really nice to get feedback in the race to say you didn't give enough back,” he said.

“Fernando, once he got onto the main straight, lifted twice, significantly. And I don't know if he gave all the time back or most of the time back, but a lot of the time back. And when he's driving the car, he's got to then figure out: did I give it all back, did I give some of it back. Did I give enough back?”

Szafnauer has also questioned the scale of the penalty given to Alonso for an error, considering other incidents – like Schumacher later crashing with Vettel and putting them both out of the points – were deemed okay.

“There are plenty of times where drivers make a mistake going into a chicane,” he said. “Monaco is one of them. I mean, how many times do people come out of the tunnel then cut that chicane?

“They don't do it on purpose. It's just you're pushing too hard, it's towards the end of the race, the tyres are going, the brakes are going.

“Even a two-time world champion like Fernando can make a mistake, so then give the time back. Then you tried to do that to the best of your ability and then you get that kind of penalty. I just think it's wrong.

“I mean, did Mick Schumacher not run into Vettel, when he was in a point-scoring position and run him off the track. Did he? Okay, what kind of time penalty did Vettel or Mick get? No further action...” 

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Same. Did two separate work trips to Amsterdam and the people were really nice. Had to have a couple locals help me with the trains / trams.

o/t It's amazing how some metro systems can be so confusing while some are incredibly intuitive and easy to understand, to the point that a child easily gets it. Montreal, Paris, Rome, Chicago, Barcelona? Piece of cake. Boston & Manhattan otoh had my head spinning.

17 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

We’re in Spain and excited for the race next weekend.  I keep meeting Dutch.  I want to hate them but damn they’re nice people. Conflicted I am.  I’ll still wear my Ferrari hat all weekend. 

Nice! We won't be there for a race, but we just booked our flights for July. Austin - Barcelona + Rome - Austin. My older boy's graduation trip. A little Spain, then Switzerland and the Matterhorn, Lake Como and the coast, then down to Rome to finish. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3