Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Ferrari’s supposed to have an update that gains them 3-4 tenths, but RB is saying they’re going to shed about 5 kg. If true, those may cancel each other out, leaving RB with a slight adavnatage. We’ll see though. RB was a lot heavier coming into the year, but they’ve shed more weight than Ferrari so the cars might be similar on weight by now. 

Besides just being a Ferrari fan, I really hope Ferrari can keep up with RB in development, otherwise this season is going to get really boring. Spain is going to be crucial for Ferrari. RB has nailed two upgrades in a row while Ferrari haven’t brought any. This upgrade package absolutely has to work. 

There is kind of a mind game going on now with Ferrari and RB too, regarding the cost cap. It seems like Ferrari thinks that the way RB is spending that they cannot keep bringing the updates that they have been, but RB states they have a “lot” of upgrade budget left.

Could get interesting.

I don’t really think that Ferrari can keep pace development wise, so they will really need theirs to work, as you said. They really really need to fix their tire issues.

Also a big weekend for Mercedes. Could be good, could be really bad.

17 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Those front wheels & tires look tiny. How does it not understeer like crazy?

As long as it's more than zero (or exceedingly small to where you're digging rather than sliding), contact area doesn't affect friction force, right? 

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

There is kind of a mind game going on now with Ferrari and RB too, regarding the cost cap. It seems like Ferrari thinks that the way RB is spending that they cannot keep bringing the updates that they have been, but RB states they have a “lot” of upgrade budget left.

Could get interesting.

I don’t really think that Ferrari can keep pace development wise, so they will really need theirs to work, as you said. They really really need to fix their tire issues.

Also a big weekend for Mercedes. Could be good, could be really bad.

Yeah, the cost cap stuff is weird because no one knows how much each team has budgeted. I do think it’s possible that Ferrari are still somewhat bloated and thus have less to spend in development than RB. 

It will really all come down to this week’s upgrades working. The only thing that could really make a big jump for Ferrari is if they can fix their porpoising and run the car lower. The floor is supposed to help, but the real change is expected over the summer when they upgrade their suspension. If that works, then they could gain a big pace advantage and pass RB.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, the cost cap stuff is weird because no one knows how much each team has budgeted. I do think it’s possible that Ferrari are still somewhat bloated and thus have less to spend in development than RB. 

It will really all come down to this week’s upgrades working. The only thing that could really make a big jump for Ferrari is if they can fix their porpoising and run the car lower. The floor is supposed to help, but the real change is expected over the summer when they upgrade their suspension. If that works, then they could gain a big pace advantage and pass RB.

Carlos putting the Ferrari in the wall multiple times can’t help the budget either 

Updates!

Ferrari has a re-profiled rear wing and some changes to the DRS actuator.

Their floor is missing the floor stay for now, which may indicate that it’s stiffer, but otherwise seems to look the same or very similar. We may see more later.

62fdc29692b0b38f2cf49c196970745c.jpg

Here is the new Aston RB18. Very much Red Bull like sidepods and floor.

115532fd9ffe5533662648e641929438.jpg
cf21a3136c507d4ce277e34bf58a6ed8.jpg
a137a8b959347e9afce92ba31c6a6ea8.jpg

Another new rear wing for Mercedes with an interesting “shoulder” section.

d05e782384c83d756601a6f429833482.jpg
776667396d3c1fb24f674289d3c9bd38.jpg

New floor, with either taller tunnels or maybe a stiffer/thicker upper part (look near the sidepod attachment, it is closer to the Petronas stripe than before). Also a largely different floor edge.

94174af6737259e9354d98848e44fb5a.jpg

From the Pink Mercedes to the Green RB, Aston Martin just really love copying other teams’ work. I can’t wait for the entire internet to start calling it the AMR22-RB. 

11 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Updates!

Ferrari has a re-profiled rear wing and some changes to the DRS actuator.

Their floor is missing the floor stay for now, which may indicate that it’s stiffer, but otherwise seems to look the same or very similar. We may see more later.

62fdc29692b0b38f2cf49c196970745c.jpg

Here is the new Aston RB18. Very much Red Bull like sidepods and floor.

115532fd9ffe5533662648e641929438.jpg
cf21a3136c507d4ce277e34bf58a6ed8.jpg
a137a8b959347e9afce92ba31c6a6ea8.jpg

Another new rear wing for Mercedes with an interesting “shoulder” section.

d05e782384c83d756601a6f429833482.jpg
776667396d3c1fb24f674289d3c9bd38.jpg

New floor, with either taller tunnels or maybe a stiffer/thicker upper part (look near the sidepod attachment, it is closer to the Petronas stripe than before). Also a largely different floor edge.

94174af6737259e9354d98848e44fb5a.jpg

it definitely looks like Merc’s new floor is designed to stiffen the outer edge of the floor and help with porpoising. It’ll be interesting to see if it works. 

Ferrari’s floor doesn’t look like it changed much above, but the DF is all created underneath so there could still be some big changes. An ex F1 engineer pointed out that RB’s floor doesn’t have a kick on the underside and that could have something to do with the porpoising. I wonder if Ferrari made changes to copy that. I also red that Ferrari is trying to reduce their floor’s drag with this update to counter RB’s straight line speed. 

im a little surprised Ferrari didn’t bring a new front wing considering how much they’ve been front right tyre limited the last two tracks. It seems like that’s one of their biggest problems right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

From the Pink Mercedes to the Green RB, Aston Martin just really love copying other teams’ work. I can’t wait for the entire internet to start calling it the AMR22-RB. 

On Autosport they're calling it the AM-RB18...

• Haha 1

TV schedule (all times Eastern):

Spanish Grand Prix

Practice 1 - Friday, May 20 - 7.55AM - ESPN2
Practice 2 - Friday, May 20 - 10.55AM - ESPNU

Practice 3 - Saturday, May 21 - 6.55AM - ESPNU
Qualifying - Saturday, May 21 - 9.55AM - ESPN2

Pre-race show - Sunday, May 22 - 7:30AM - ESPN2
Spanish Grand Prix - Sunday, May 22 - 8.55AM - ESPN2
Post-race show - Sunday, May 22 - 11.00AM - ESPN3

Something that is interesting is that Dan Fallows (former RB aero chief) did leave RB last year and join AM this year.

He’s only been at AM since April, though. Either way, I don’t know that AM really could have copied this thing in just a few month’s time, but the damn thing is so close it’s bewildering.

That said, it still has much different front and rear wings, suspension, and a different PU, so it will be interesting to see how it goes along.

Lol FIA.  They have come to the conclusion that Aston Martin came up with an identical car to Red Bull through an independent design process and not by hiring people who used to work at Red Bull.  Also lol, Red Bull started making green cans to celebrate the green Red Bull car.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

If they didn’t share info and they can show their work who gives a shit. You still have to make it work. Sister teams sharing designs is a problem. If a design trick works it works and teams should be able to duplicate it. Hopefully it would keep the teams more competitive over the course of the season. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Lol FIA.  They have come to the conclusion that Aston Martin came up with an identical car to Red Bull through an independent design process and not by hiring people who used to work at Red Bull.  Also lol, Red Bull started making green cans to celebrate the green Red Bull car.

That's on Red Bull if they didn't require gardening leave. 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

According to the investigation AM showed they had that car in the wind tunnel last November.  That was before the transfer.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is first good picture I've seen of the two cars, there's actually some noticeable differences. Overall concept is quite close though.

Agreed. One is green and one is navy. And from my Integra mod days, I'm pretty sure flashy green is like ++50 hp wootz. Advantage AM.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, G650 said:

According to the investigation AM showed they had that car in the wind tunnel last November.  That was before the transfer.

The announcers were talking about that during one of the practice sessions yesterday.  Almost all of the teams had to work down to the wire getting their car ready this year, but somehow Aston Martin designed 2 of them in the same amount of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The announcers were talking about that during one of the practice sessions yesterday.  Almost all of the teams had to work down to the wire getting their car ready this year, but somehow Aston Martin designed 2 of them in the same amount of time.

Well, it wasn't ready 4 months ago, it's just hitting the track now. But I have no dog in the fight, all I'm seeing is the FIA is satisfied with whatever evidence was presented.

RB, Ferrari and Merc are basically the SEC of Formula 1, the FIA would happily shit all over a small team like AM to make an example while protecting the big teams, so I'm inclined to believe there really wasn't anything there.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Like Mercedes did with their side pod/ no side pod design as well?  Make two designs, pick one to pursue?

RB is only interested in IP, and will want the F1 officials to confirm the data wasn’t stolen from them. Horner said this while also saying what’s in someone’s head is theirs and they would review their computer systems for a breach etc. 

Alonso out and Ocon 15th. Alpine continues to do Alpine/Renault things. No consistency at all and they just don’t seem to understand their car. Considering they kept claiming everything they’ve done the last three years was preparing for this year, it’s quite a disappointment for a works team. 

Just got done with tball. Has Mercedes done upgrades or is it just the track that seems to be making them more competitive today?
Merc isn't porpoising near as hard here. Not sure if that is upgrades or just a track they have a huge book on. The floor on that car is smashed to the ground every time it's on camera
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:
20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:
Just got done with tball. Has Mercedes done upgrades or is it just the track that seems to be making them more competitive today?

Merc isn't porpoising near as hard here. Not sure if that is upgrades or just a track they have a huge book on. The floor on that car is smashed to the ground every time it's on camera

As I chimed in yesterday, as soon as  I turned on FP1 yesterday it was blatant how radically different the Mercedes were sitting. Today it looks like they were running the car lower than almost anyone now. It's definitely the new floor they brought, not the track. According to them, it's an incremental proof of concept trial this weekend, and if successful they are going full bore on development in this direction.

It look to me like they clawed back a half a second a lap of the one second deficit. If they can keep evolving now they can possibly reach parity this season. Probably to late for championship but maybe some wins in the cards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1