Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

As I chimed in yesterday, as soon as  I turned on FP1 yesterday it was blatant how radically different the Mercedes were sitting. Today it looks like they were running the car lower than almost anyone now. It's definitely the new floor they brought, not the track. According to them, it's an incremental proof of concept trial this weekend, and if successful they are going full bore on development in this direction.

It look to me like they clawed back a half a second a lap of the one second deficit. If they can keep evolving now they can possibly reach parity this season. Probably to late for championship but maybe some wins in the cards.

This. There’s a lot of re-understanding of the car to do, too. Setup and aero balance wise. They will get closer.

What a day and last lap by LeClerc. Paddock Pass was amazing thank you Mr Blutarski. I’ll do thread with photos after tomorrow.  

For those that want to see my ugly mug I was interviewed by CNN Euro on the way out. Will be on the 7 pm your time segment. I hope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This. There’s a lot of re-understanding of the car to do, too. Setup and aero balance wise. They will get closer.

To expand, it seems like they are doing different things with the two cars. Don’t know if driver preference or more of a testing thing.

Russell has a higher top speed by 3-5kph over Lewis and had an incredible S1, where Lewis was great in S2. And most of S3 until the final corner onto the main straight (he probably made a mistake here since it was pretty slow). Lewis is faster in all the slower corners (1, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15), but George faster in the medium to higher speed ones and on all the straights. End result was just over a tenth different so I dunno.

What is interesting though is both Mercs had a higher top speed than Charles on the main straight. George hit 324kph, Lewis 320, and Charles 316. Max hit 321. Hmmm.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Toto did confidently say they do understand the porpoising now. Sounds like it was definitely from the floor flexing. His words were “floor swinging”.

Yeah hebwas pretty unequivocal. If so then they should have clear path.

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I heart 2/3 pit stop races. Lots of strategy, moving parts without a bunch of wrecks. Tires should always be this soft. 

Entertaining race

The tries are actually on the harder end of the spectrum I believe. I think it’s the track temp just melting them so fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

The tries are actually on the harder end of the spectrum I believe. I think it’s the track temp just melting them so fast.

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

Yeah I think I saw 120 degrees (49 C) for the track temp pre race. Smoking.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Damn, what a recovery from Lewis today, without any SC or anything. Wonder where he’d have been without that lap 1 incident. Thanks, Kevin.

I just saw he was fastest car on track for 75% of the laps.

I don’t think that is actually the case looking at the data, but yeah, his medium stint was absolutely nuts. Was running similar times to Max who was on softs at the same time. The soft stint at the end he was faster on most laps until the lift and coast order.

And he did all that on what was essentially a two stopper, so his tires were older than most others.

Can’t really compare to Charles since he retired, but their medium stint pace was about the same until Charles retired. That was race winning race pace today. How about we fix the qualifying speed next!

48 minutes ago, G650 said:

The 75% being the laps when LeClerc was out.  We were at the start/finish line.  LeClerc was adding a second plus a lap damned shame for him. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The 75% being the laps when LeClerc was out.  We were at the start/finish line.  LeClerc was adding a second plus a lap damned shame for him. 

I feel for Le Charles. Turrible luck

On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, G650 said:

Well, it wasn't ready 4 months ago, it's just hitting the track now. But I have no dog in the fight, all I'm seeing is the FIA is satisfied with whatever evidence was presented.

RB, Ferrari and Merc are basically the SEC of Formula 1, the FIA would happily shit all over a small team like AM to make an example while protecting the big teams, so I'm inclined to believe there really wasn't anything there.

Imho it's more a case of the FIA just knowing they wouldn't be able to prove anything.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:24 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Alonso out and Ocon 15th. Alpine continues to do Alpine/Renault things. No consistency at all and they just don’t seem to understand their car. Considering they kept claiming everything they’ve done the last three years was preparing for this year, it’s quite a disappointment for a works team. 

Yeah, it seems like Alonso is starting to look elsewhere now. They screwed up Alonso's timing for his final hot lap, making him think he needed to follow Lando onto the straight, when he actually had more time and coulda created a gap. The car is a tire eater, but had great race pace this weekend. They need to get on top of the tires, and stop losing time on pit stops, for sure.

Alonso made a helluva drive today, starting P20 and finishing P9. 

Edited by wood

On 5/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, hobbes2702 said:

Just got done with tball. Has Mercedes done upgrades or is it just the track that seems to be making them more competitive today?

On 5/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Goofyboy said:

Upgrades.

I think the high heat helps them as well. They've had trouble warming their tires in the cooler weekends.

Sainz continues to struggle mightily. He was almost half a second back in quali from Leclerc and would’ve finished 6th today if no one had engine trouble. He had horrible pace all day. 

Sucks for him. He’s my second favorite driver, but Ferrari has to treat him as a #2 if they want any chance at the WDC.