Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

That is from SmilexTech on twitter who was/is a great follow. He kinda stopped with his technical insights stuff for much of 2021 but I’m glad to see he’s “back” since he has some solid sources (especially for Ferrari) and knows a lot himself.

Pretty sure that is an older quote from like November ish maybe.

But yeah, unfortunate that the 7 time champ didn’t have a dad that……*checks notes*…..had 2 whole podiums (one due to his teammates’ DSQ) in a championship winning car, and who retired from 55% of his races. Darn.

He was part of this incident though, so he’s got that going for him.

bfb489027d54ba9dfbe03a80a5074fb6.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, got hotel booked the day I booked F1 tickets as the selection was already slim. Didn't want to wait. Found a spot on the backside of Mont Royal near the metro.

I saw the stuff near the airport for cheaper, but looks like there isn't an easy way from the airport to the city? There's a train, but then you have to get on the Metro. With the spot I found, it's half a block from the Metro. 

Arrive Thursday around noon, so figure I will have Thursday afternoon, Friday morning, Saturday morning, to explore the city. Spend the afternoons and all day Sunday at the race.

You'll like it there on/near the Plateau neighborhood. Everywhere I saw around Mont Royal was awesome. We stayed about a block from the Laurier Metro stop & everything was easy. Walked to Mont Royal, all around the park, then down into downtown to the Fan Fests & took the Metro back. It didn't cost too much, but they hadn't gone 2 years without a GP, either.  2022 will be insane.

Edited by wood

Looks like I'm in for $3k altogether for three people for four nights. That includes airfare, tickets, and hotel.

Way more than I wanted to spend, but traveling with three ain't cheap. The kid's ticket is free for the race, so that's nice. Airfare was the real killer. $430 pp.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Looks like I'm in for $3k altogether for three people for four nights. That includes airfare, tickets, and hotel.

Way more than I wanted to spend, but traveling with three ain't cheap. The kid's ticket is free for the race, so that's nice. Airfare was the real killer. $430 pp.

That's not bad at all.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

quite hard! ? Still it's sounds good

17 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just checked my credit card statement and the race tickets were less than I realized. Thought they were already priced in USD, but were not. Ended up being about $450 for three tickets with actual seats for the full weekend, or $150 pp. What was the cost of general admission at COTA this past year? Thought it was near $300 for the weekend.

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just checked my credit card statement and the race tickets were less than I realized. Thought they were already priced in USD, but were not. Ended up being about $450 for three tickets with actual seats for the full weekend, or $150 pp. What was the cost of general admission at COTA this past year? Thought it was near $300 for the weekend.

IIRC GA for COTA this year started at $169 and then went up to $199.

And yeah it's kinda amazing how weak the CAD is vs USD. I was very surprised at how much less the USD price was when I saw it on my statement the first time I went.

7 hours ago, Updawg said:

Doesn’t sound too bad really.

Yep. Pretty much in line with my other trips there, when accounting for how many people are going.

https://racingnews365.nl/exclusief-honda-tóch-tot-eind-2025-met-red-bull-actief-in-de-formule-1#close

So this makes a little more sense with RBR thinking. If you basically are keeping the same setup, just have to pay for it now they can maintain a pretty strong PU. Definitely different animal than doing it all in house.

No speaky ze German

15 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They are supposed to finally be moving to split turbo on this PU, I believe.

Yeah I think they're working along the same lines as Renault have been with their PU. They're supposed to be going split turbo and a much smaller, lighter PU package as well.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah I think they're working along the same lines as Renault have been with their PU. They're supposed to be going split turbo and a much smaller, lighter PU package as well.

Apparently they are going hero or zero with their attempt this year

On 12/28/2021 at 5:28 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I spend around $1,700 per weekend for the USGP at COTA, and that's just for two people.  $3K for 4 in a foreign country doesn't sound too bad at all.

Edited by utee94

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I spend around $1,700 per weekend for the USGP at COTA, and that's just for two people.  $3K for 4 in a foreign country doesn't sound too bad at all.

Actually figured it was slightly cheaper. Some stuff was CAD that I thought was USD. Still have to pay for food and local transportation, but figure entertainment will be covered with sightseeing and the race.

Anyway, we are extremely excited. Montreal seems like a city that's amazing from everything I've heard, yet doesn't get talked about that much. Hell, I watched a video about their Metro system and stations and could spend a day just exploring all that. 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Actually figured it was slightly cheaper. Some stuff was CAD that I thought was USD. Still have to pay for food and local transportation, but figure entertainment will be covered with sightseeing and the race.

Anyway, we are extremely excited. Montreal seems like a city that's amazing from everything I've heard, yet doesn't get talked about that much. Hell, I watched a video about their Metro system and stations and could spend a day just exploring all that. 

Yeah you get a much greater bang for your buck at the Canadian GP.

BTW, re: your question earlier about how much 3-Day GA cost in 2021 ... I previously told you the price started at $159 and topped out at $199. I was wrong. I ran across those prices again earlier and they started out at $189 in April and then went up to $239 a month later, + extra fees & taxes, of course. When you buy from CGV, the fees are already in the price, which is another way you save there. They don't charge you anything beyond the price they show on the website, including taxes, iirc.

And yeah, their metro is badass. Do yourself a favor on one of your trips on any of the newest trains, & sit in the last car. Rather than having a door that leads to the little passage between cars, they're open between cars, from the first car to the last.  If you sit in the back, you can see the train snake up and down and side to side as it goes. It's pretty cool, and if you're bringing kids, they'll love it, too. /csb

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I had to block that “news outlet” from showing up on my stupid Facebook feed thing. They post 100% clickbait articles that all come from……Reddit.

Yeah I think of it more as entertainment than news.

12 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

They got the sound mixed perfectly with his turns lol

That orangutan is driving a cart. I didn't know they were able to do that. And he does it very casually like it's something he does all the time. 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That orangutan is driving a cart. I didn't know they were able to do that. And he does it very casually like it's something he does all the time. 

Pretty wild. Go see the thread about those monkeys going medieval on all the dogs in that town in Africa. Scary shit. I, for one, welcome our new primate overlords.

OBTW, Otmar is officially out at Aston Martin.

The rumor is he's headed to Alpine, with Brivio going back to MotoGP, Budkowski retaining his position as Executive Director - charged with ensuring Enstone and Viry continue to integrate, and Otmar running the team. Otmar coming over as TP would allow Budkowski to focus on the technical/car side of things, and allow Rossi to solely focus on his Alpine CEO duties.

Apparently Otmar's had enough of being Big Stroll's bitch and having to do shitty things like cut Perez for Mini Stroll, etc.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Lawrence Stroll is the closest I've ever seen in real life, to a Bond Villain.  The way he looks, the way he talks, the way he dresses.

Also. he's a really evil rich guy who sucks.

Total Bond villain, I'm tellin' ya.

Hmmm ...

8eb810c855c0e130611858a90c6f749f.jpg

Lawrence-Stroll.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

Lawrence Stroll is the closest I've ever seen in real life, to a Bond Villain.  The way he looks, the way he talks, the way he dresses.

Also. he's a really evil rich guy who sucks.

Total Bond villain, I'm tellin' ya.

Which is ironic being AM owner.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What is Otmar's background? He always sounded American when he came on the broadcast. 

Born in Romania or something. Moved to Detroit when he was 7, which is why he and Zack Brown sound pretty much the same.

Edited by wood