The Frisco Football Classic not to be confused with the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl

ATLLonghorn

I watched SMU get its ass beat in the Frisco bowl by La Tech right after Chad Morris left for Arkansas. Good times. My buddy and I at least took it as a good opportunity to get hammered.

I guess that would have been what is now the Tropical Smoothie version. 

It's hilarious they still have the branding for the other one on the field. Toyota actually isn't a bad low cap football venue. I feel like most MLS stadiums actually lend themselves fairly well to that purpose. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I watched SMU get its ass beat in the Frisco bowl by La Tech right after Chad Morris left for Arkansas. Good times. My buddy and I at least took it as a good opportunity to get hammered.

I guess that would have been what is now the Tropical Smoothie version. 

It's hilarious they still have the branding for the other one on the field. Toyota actually isn't a bad low cap football venue. I feel like most MLS stadiums actually lend themselves fairly well to that purpose. 

Yeah, that was the real Frisco Bowl. There was one more bowl eligible team than there were available bowl slots this year (before A&M had to opt out) so they bumped Hawaii up to bowl eligibility because they had six wins (they went 6-7) so right before the bowl season they created the game being played right now so everyone could to go a bowl and I guess Frisco was like, "sure why not, come play here." 

You're right about it being hilarious they didn't paint over all the branding from the Frisco Bowl. They did at midfield, but left the Tropical Smoothie Cafe logos on the field.

I think MLS soccer specific stadiums would make for much better venues than football stadiums would for some of these games. There was nobody at the Potato Bowl in Boise and that's just 16,000 more seats than Toyota Stadium but the difference is noticeable. 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m told the trend these days is to go bare

Wrong.

Natural grass is making a comeback.

Now, the natural fields of today are WAYYYY more kept up than the ones of 30-40 years ago.

The sloppy field conditions of the time may have been part of the game at the time. I can't argue with that.

And I'm sure there are those who would actually prefer it as they feel it's a more authentic experience.

I just find it bush league.

• Hook 'Em 2

Damn these refs are pretty bad...

Its like watching us play OU....

Call a hold maybe?

Guys bobbles the ball while sliding out of bounds after committing offensive PI on a TD, call is confirmed...

But best part is that there is no review with the official, just the ref talking to a guy on the chain gang who is on a cellphone.

I knew this was going to be a last minute budget production, but this is something else