Your childhood dream job vs your currrent career? Any ragerts

closetohumping

When we were young (in the 60's) we wanted to be garbage men. You got to ride around on the back of the truck, toss the metal cans around, make a lot of noise and crush stuff with the hydraulic compress. Now all they do is drive a truck and have an arm pick it up and empty it. So in hindsight I'm glad I didn't.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

When we were young (in the 60's) we wanted to be garbage men. You got to ride around on the back of the truck, toss the metal cans around, make a lot of noise and crush stuff with the hydraulic compress. Now all they do is drive a truck and have an arm pick it up and empty it. So in hindsight I'm glad I didn't.  

Texas Pride in Houston is the company to fulfill to your dreams.  They still do it with no mechanical arm and have 4 ultra marathoners for each truck. Those guys are in quite good shape while the driver looks like 289 lbs crap stuffed in a 50 lbs sack. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Didn't think about it really much other than being a nebulous "Aerospace Engineer" whatever the fuck that was.

So, I got a degree in Aerospace Engineering. 

First job - LEO rockets, ABM missiles and anti-tank missiles.

Second job - F-16/F-18 simulation (this REALLY piqued my interest, but management at company SUCKED).  Left before 2 years because of the management (and money)

Third job - Job shopper (contractor)...over doubled my pay from the second job, but I hated it.  However, it helped pay the bills on my super-expanded family quite well.  It was nothing but programming in Ada.  Bad times, but sucked it up for 4 years.

Fourth job - Helicopter simulation.  Did this for 17 years and it was awesome.  Loved the company, job, people I worked with (except for you, Steve Lewis, you fucking piece of shit)

Fifth job - UAS research.  I'm now the chief engineer at a research center based out of TAMU-CC that does Unmanned Aerial Systems research.  When I got the job it was WAY out of my comfort zone which was invigorating.  Now I'm actually combining my new found knowledge in UAVs with a new Simulation system we're setting up.  This should be a badass way to finish out my career and retire.  (NOTE:  I originally just took the job because I wanted to move to N Padre Island for retirement and both my GF and I found jobs the same week.  Call it kismet or whatever.  Now, I'm really glad I took it because it's a badass job)

Dude we need to talk.  Seriously. I will hit you up via PM when I get back home.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Didn't think about it really much other than being a nebulous "Aerospace Engineer" whatever the fuck that was.

So, I got a degree in Aerospace Engineering. 

First job - LEO rockets, ABM missiles and anti-tank missiles.

Second job - F-16/F-18 simulation (this REALLY piqued my interest, but management at company SUCKED).  Left before 2 years because of the management (and money)

Third job - Job shopper (contractor)...over doubled my pay from the second job, but I hated it.  However, it helped pay the bills on my super-expanded family quite well.  It was nothing but programming in Ada.  Bad times, but sucked it up for 4 years.

Fourth job - Helicopter simulation.  Did this for 17 years and it was awesome.  Loved the company, job, people I worked with (except for you, Steve Lewis, you fucking piece of shit)

Fifth job - UAS research.  I'm now the chief engineer at a research center based out of TAMU-CC that does Unmanned Aerial Systems research.  When I got the job it was WAY out of my comfort zone which was invigorating.  Now I'm actually combining my new found knowledge in UAVs with a new Simulation system we're setting up.  This should be a badass way to finish out my career and retire.  (NOTE:  I originally just took the job because I wanted to move to N Padre Island for retirement and both my GF and I found jobs the same week.  Call it kismet or whatever.  Now, I'm really glad I took it because it's a badass job)

Wonder if Steve posts here?  Hi Steve!

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, if we are gonna start calling out former colleagues, fuck you Joe and your lazy eye. Only former colleague that I would knock his duck in the dirt if I bumped into him in the street.

Oh let’s pour it on. Fuck you Beth.  When you stare at my junk for longer than ten seconds you do t get to call HR when I say “is there something that interests you down there?”

• Haha 2

Work in restaurants and mainly in the media covering local news and sports. Loving every minute of it. 

Funny story about my career, I went to a Christmas party earlier this month and my date told me that everyone thought I was one of the more interesting people there. I was puzzled because all the other folks are doctors, lawyers, accountants or have a big fancy desk job. She told me what a lot of them liked about me was that instead of playing it safe I actually pursued a career in something that I really wanted to do. Who wants to have a high paying job that they hate going to?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, bluto said:

Put some respect on the man’s name, Dungan. 

and similar on meteorology only to realize you’re moving to bumfuck Kansas to start your career and maybe getting to Shreveport size market if you work real hard and have some luck. 

Unless you have a nice ass and big tits

14 hours ago, deadshank said:

Texas Pride in Houston is the company to fulfill to your dreams.  They still do it with no mechanical arm and have 4 ultra marathoners for each truck. Those guys are in quite good shape while the driver looks like 289 lbs crap stuffed in a 50 lbs sack. 

That's who we have in my hood.  They're always late and sometimes don't show up at all.

• Haha 2

On 12/26/2021 at 12:51 AM, RPM said:

Wanted to be a helicopter pilot from the first time I watched Whirlybirds. The training flights from Fort Wolters used to fly over our house daily. That was my goal. Turns out you have to have 20/20 vision and not be colorblind.

We might have been neighbors.  MWHS class of ‘87.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Work in restaurants and mainly in the media covering local news and sports. Loving every minute of it. 

Funny story about my career, I went to a Christmas party earlier this month and my date told me that everyone thought I was one of the more interesting people there. I was puzzled because all the other folks are doctors, lawyers, accountants or have a big fancy desk job. She told me what a lot of them liked about me was that instead of playing it safe I actually pursued a career in something that I really wanted to do. Who wants to have a high paying job that they hate going to?

Well said - especially the bolded.  At one point earlier in my life, I worked my way up to a salaried position as an analyst.  At the time, it was pretty cool.  I even got a business card!  Lulz.  Thing is, I hated every, single second of it.  I would sit down at 8AM and calculate how many seconds were left until 5PM.  No amount of money or *prestige could make up for the misery.  

*I grew up absolutely dirt poor, so being that guy (salary, paid vac, business suit, etc...) was a pretty big deal for my family and me at the time.

My wife and I are both teachers.  We both grew up on the wrong side of the railroad track.  Paying bills on time, having a solid savings/retirement plan, going on 2-3 legit vacations every year, etc... is a fantastic lifestyle for us considering from where we came.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

I've been lucky.  Never did find my calling or thing to be passionate about.  Was frankly a stumblebum with my career, the only strategic thing I did was determine to get a MBA at 30 years old.  After a few years of post-grad dead end jobs, ended up with what turned out to be a really good gig.  Growing company and I bought as much discounted stock as they would let me, while raising a family.  Job was a meat grinder but had a lot of perks, too.  Because of stock and some healthy bonuses, was able to retire a couple years ago in my mid-50s.

So, as much as I envy those who found their calling and love their work, I can't help but wonder if that will last all 40 plus years of their career.  The financial freedom I got while still relatively young, after around 20 years of grinding seems to trump that, at least imo.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

growing up with the Gemini/Apollo space programs I wanted to be an astronaut. You needed to be an ex-fighter pilot with 20/20 vision. scratch that.

then I wanted to be a professional golfer. turns out you needed to be good at golf for that. rats.

fortunately the world needs ditch diggers too.

I ended up doing the exact career I wanted to do but only because I was never delusional enough to believe I could ever become a pro golfer. Because if I could have, it would have been the greatest existence ever, until my mental breakdown from the yips or whatever the sport eventually did to destroy my life caught up with me. 

Regarding meteorology- the two weathermen in my hometown have been around for over 40 years and my market may be smaller than Shreveport 

My dream, if I ever decide to take the plunge is to get back into the restaurant business.  Ironic, this girl who used to have the hots for me came from a filthy rich family that helped her own a restaurant.   Oh what could’ve been but true love and all that jazz

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wade said:

I've been lucky.  Never did find my calling or thing to be passionate about.  Was frankly a stumblebum with my career, the only strategic thing I did was determine to get a MBA at 30 years old.  After a few years of post-grad dead end jobs, ended up with what turned out to be a really good gig.  Growing company and I bought as much discounted stock as they would let me, while raising a family.  Job was a meat grinder but had a lot of perks, too.  Because of stock and some healthy bonuses, was able to retire a couple years ago in my mid-50s.

So, as much as I envy those who found their calling and love their work, I can't help but wonder if that will last all 40 plus years of their career.  The financial freedom I got while still relatively young, after around 20 years of grinding seems to trump that, at least imo.

I am on this track and trying to determine if I should do something else.  My career choices have been by default not design.  Got an MBA from a good school in my early 30s and worked hard to get to a GM/VP level role.  I make more money than I ever aspired for and think I will be retired by mid-50s which sounds awesome.  Only problem is that is still 13 years off and I find myself living for weekends and Holidays.  Monday through Friday's are intense and I don't enjoy much about those days.  I am at a potential career inflection point and debating if I would rather make less money and work later into life if it means I can start enjoying M-F a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 2

When I was a kid, similar to many on here, I wanted to be an astronaut. Never pursued that, and as it turns out, I’m horribly claustrophobic, so that would’ve been a dead end. 
When I started college I thought I wanted to be a doctor. Took an honors chem course, despite having gone to one of the worst public school systems in the country and not even having taken chem 2 at that dumpster fire school. The final exam convinced me that my career was not to be in STEM. 
Then I wanted to be a lawyer. Which I was. Made partner, went in-house, had a 25 year run in O&G, international career, mega deals, built a business across North America, went through the brutal down cycles, saw the business deconstructed, took the package. Got to be parts of things, meet people, go places, have experiences that I never could have dreamed. 
Moved to ETX and now help lead an international ministry, playing a small part in making concrete, tangible, life-changing difference in people’s lives. 
My new aspiration is to be a Surly 1%. 
No ragerts. 

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, nnm said:

When I was a kid, similar to many on here, I wanted to be an astronaut. Never pursued that, and as it turns out, I’m horribly claustrophobic, so that would’ve been a dead end. 
When I started college I thought I wanted to be a doctor. Took an honors chem course, despite having gone to one of the worst public school systems in the country and not even having taken chem 2 at that dumpster fire school. The final exam convinced me that my career was not to be in STEM. 
Then I wanted to be a lawyer. Which I was. Made partner, went in-house, had a 25 year run in O&G, international career, mega deals, built a business across North America, went through the brutal down cycles, saw the business deconstructed, took the package. Got to be parts of things, meet people, go places, have experiences that I never could have dreamed. 
Moved to ETX and now help lead an international ministry, playing a small part in making concrete, tangible, life-changing difference in people’s lives. 
My new aspiration is to be a Surly 1%. 
No ragerts. 

Why you wanna be slummin' and hanging with the worst sorts ?

On 12/24/2021 at 8:27 PM, closetohumping said:

I was supposed to be a sports journalist but somehow lost sight of it when I entered college.  Loved, actually still love sports and was sports editor for my high school paper  I’m in sales , doing well but yes some ragerts absolutely.  And nope, no chance I try to pursue it at this age in my career

It was when you entered all that college pussy is when you lost sight of it ... just like a lot of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

When I was young I wanted to be an Ortho.  Then, I realized I am not interested in science at all so there went that.  Then, I wanted to be a lawyer.  Eventually did this but I went the insurance route instead (the law degree does help here with what type of insurance I do).  

I still think being an Ortho would be cool. But, it's hard to beat being able to do what I want, when I want, while making decent money and most likely will eventually have a liquidity event.  

4 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

When I was young I wanted to be an Ortho.  Then, I realized I am not interested in science at all so there went that.  Then, I wanted to be a lawyer.  Eventually did this but I went the insurance route instead (the law degree does help here with what type of insurance I do).  

I still think being an Ortho would be cool. But, it's hard to beat being able to do what I want, when I want, while making decent money and most likely will eventually have a liquidity event.  

If by  "liquidity event" you mean we'll all piss our pants one day yeah, spot on....

On 12/26/2021 at 6:38 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

True story.  I wanted to be a meteorologist.  In 10th grade, the local met, Troy Duncan, returned a letter I wrote him.  He said if I really wanted to be one, I should look into going to aggy.  I, quite literally, gave up on that one on the spot.

My little brother got Channel 7's Connor Vernon's autograph on his brand new Spurs jersey while we were eating at the old CoCos on IH35 and 290 when he was about 10 years old.

So for a year or so in the early-90s there was a kid in NW Austin running around in a David Robinson jersey with a KTBC weatherman's signature on it.

I never figured that one out, but this hits close to home nevertheless.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Haha 4

As a little kid I wanted to be a doctor or lawyer because that’s what my family and the game Life taught me.  In junior high I was obsessed with basketball so I wanted to be an NBA player (I am 5’9” 155 and white).  In high school I wanted to be either a rock star or an entrepreneur (i.e. a rich person who was the boss of a lot of people).

I went to McCombs and made shitty grades and didn’t pursue music, although my dream jobs were still rock star and entrepreneur, with comedian entering the mix as people started suggesting it to me.  I graduated and worked a couple dead end jobs before getting hooked up as a DoD contractor overseas which gifted me the kind of access to capital all my rich friends were born with.  Parlayed that job into a “career” in project controls/management over the next 15+ years.  I’ve pretty much taken the path of least resistance my entire adult life, going for whatever path would make me the most money without me having to work too hard.  If I died today my obituary would be pathetic.  I’ve HATED pretty much every working day of my life, and 2021 will be my 25th year of getting a W-2.

But it hasn’t been all bad.  Between luck, the Iraq money, and my own self discipline I’ve accumulated enough wealth that it is very likely I can retire in my 50s.  I met my wife through work and that’s a good thing.  Over the last 5 years my kids have been my priority and my jobs have been very family friendly.  I have a lot of friends and good people I’ve met thru work.  Based on what I was born into, I’m very likely living out an outcome that is better than 50th percentile of all possibilities.  So looking at my kids and my financial situation along with the fact that I never really have had to work all that hard, it’s hard to say I have regrets.  I was not studious enough to be a doctor or lawyer and probably would have hated those jobs as much if not more than what I do now.  I’m not talented enough to be a musician or songwriter.  I actually think I could have been a professional comedian but that would have been a risky, disappointing grind and likely would have meant sacrificing all of the things l like about my current life.

When I was 23 I made a list of 5 things I wanted to achieve with my life.  I have accomplished 2 of them and 2 are still possible.  I won’t be a famous entertainer, but at my age I’m glad that didn’t happen, as fame would have almost certainly destroyed me.

If I have regrets it’s just that I’ve coasted.  Even with the relatively easy path I traveled, it would not have taken much more effort to make a lot more money.  It’s almost as if I avoided success.  Looking out over the 2nd half of my life, by far and away my dream job is finishing out being a parent, seeing my kids grow into good, happy adults.  Parenting is pretty much the only thing I’ve ever worked really really hard at in my entire life.  Beyond that I am hopeful that my financial situation will let me stop working meaningless jobs soon, at which point maybe I’ll pursue something “cool” and “find my passion”.  It would be really neat to be a recognized expert in something but I’m not expecting that.

If I were to take one lesson from this aspect of my life and pass it on to my kids, it would be to NOT be passive about your life.  Always be in active pursuit of the things you want.

TLDR: I’m lazy and hate working my meaningless job but no major regrets.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

As a little kid I wanted to be a doctor or lawyer because that’s what my family and the game Life taught me.  In junior high I was obsessed with basketball so I wanted to be an NBA player (I am 5’9” 155 and white).  In high school I wanted to be either a rock star or an entrepreneur (i.e. a rich person who was the boss of a lot of people).

I went to McCombs and made shitty grades and didn’t pursue music, although my dream jobs were still rock star and entrepreneur, with comedian entering the mix as people started suggesting it to me.  I graduated and worked a couple dead end jobs before getting hooked up as a DoD contractor overseas which gifted me the kind of access to capital all my rich friends were born with.  Parlayed that job into a “career” in project controls/management over the next 15+ years.  I’ve pretty much taken the path of least resistance my entire adult life, going for whatever path would make me the most money without me having to work too hard.  If I died today my obituary would be pathetic.  I’ve HATED pretty much every working day of my life, and 2021 will be my 25th year of getting a W-2.

But it hasn’t been all bad.  Between luck, the Iraq money, and my own self discipline I’ve accumulated enough wealth that it is very likely I can retire in my 50s.  I met my wife through work and that’s a good thing.  Over the last 5 years my kids have been my priority and my jobs have been very family friendly.  I have a lot of friends and good people I’ve met thru work.  Based on what I was born into, I’m very likely living out an outcome that is better than 50th percentile of all possibilities.  So looking at my kids and my financial situation along with the fact that I never really have had to work all that hard, it’s hard to say I have regrets.  I was not studious enough to be a doctor or lawyer and probably would have hated those jobs as much if not more than what I do now.  I’m not talented enough to be a musician or songwriter.  I actually think I could have been a professional comedian but that would have been a risky, disappointing grind and likely would have meant sacrificing all of the things l like about my current life.

When I was 23 I made a list of 5 things I wanted to achieve with my life.  I have accomplished 2 of them and 2 are still possible.  I won’t be a famous entertainer, but at my age I’m glad that didn’t happen, as fame would have almost certainly destroyed me.

If I have regrets it’s just that I’ve coasted.  Even with the relatively easy path I traveled, it would not have taken much more effort to make a lot more money.  It’s almost as if I avoided success.  Looking out over the 2nd half of my life, by far and away my dream job is finishing out being a parent, seeing my kids grow into good, happy adults.  Parenting is pretty much the only thing I’ve ever worked really really hard at in my entire life.  Beyond that I am hopeful that my financial situation will let me stop working meaningless jobs soon, at which point maybe I’ll pursue something “cool” and “find my passion”.  It would be really neat to be a recognized expert in something but I’m not expecting that.

If I were to take one lesson from this aspect of my life and pass it on to my kids, it would be to NOT be passive about your life.  Always be in active pursuit of the things you want.

This is me. If there was a ragert, it's about 25 year old me not setting up 45 year old me for success.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm a pretty funny guy, especially among friends, naturally charismatic, but idk if I can get on stage and be Jerry Seinfeld

Of course nobody should realistically expect to be on a Jerry Seinfeld level.  But I do think, had I dedicated myself to it in my mid 20s (or earlier) I could have gotten to the level of being paid for being funny, somebody like Matt Bearden or Doug Benson.

Thats not to say I’m funny now; I’m not.  The fucking oppressive yoke of responsibility that comes with raising 2 girls in today’s world snuffed out that flame with the quickness.

Brah, coasting through life to a successful outcome is nothing to regret. If anything, you should be celebrated. Well done.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, Buzzrock said:

Wanted to be a film director but knew that was virtually impossible so I never tried. I figure I’m doing what most folks do: a job they don’t particularly love but that they are good at to make a living and provide security for the family.

Edited by Bullneck