Celebrity Death Pool - 2022

Wally Fairway

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/country-trucker-titan-c-w-mccall-bill-fries-passes-away/

Call him one of the overlords of country trucker songs, but don’t call him a one hit wonder. His name was William Dale Fries Jr., but the world knew him as C.W. McCall, and knew of him through his iconic country trucker epic “Convoy.” He was also one of the oldest living country music legends still around. But there was much more to this man who passed away on Friday, April 1st at the age of 93.

I had a record full of country music gadget songs when I was a kid.  Pretty much wore it out.  Convoy was my hands down favorite.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Parliament said:

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/country-trucker-titan-c-w-mccall-bill-fries-passes-away/

Call him one of the overlords of country trucker songs, but don’t call him a one hit wonder. His name was William Dale Fries Jr., but the world knew him as C.W. McCall, and knew of him through his iconic country trucker epic “Convoy.” He was also one of the oldest living country music legends still around. But there was much more to this man who passed away on Friday, April 1st at the age of 93.

I had a record full of country music gadget songs when I was a kid.  Pretty much wore it out.  Convoy was my hands down favorite.

Damn. I was a legitimate fan before there was Convoy. He got his start selling bread. The ads were made in Dallas.

They were so popular he cut a record.

Everyone remembers Convoy, but my favorite was Wolf Creek Pass.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I had one of those records as well. Ray Steven’s “The Streak” was my jam.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:57 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

Harrison Ford

This week I was at the park with some friends watching our kids, and we saw a small plane flying erratically, and I blurted out "looks like Harrison Ford is in town".

I feel bad for saying it because he's done a lot for general aviation, he's not a bad pilot, and he wouldn't be anywhere near Austin anyways -  I don't think he's even made a SXSW appearance in years.

But a couple of the others chuckled, so at least three of us have a sick sense of humor.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This week I was at the park with some friends watching our kids, and we saw a small plane flying erratically, and I blurted out "looks like Harrison Ford is in town".

I feel bad for saying it because he's done a lot for general aviation, he's not a bad pilot, and he wouldn't be anywhere near Austin anyways -  I don't think he's even made a SXSW appearance in years.

But a couple of the others chuckled, so at least three of us have a sick sense of humor.

Modern equivalent of the Richard Pryor joke about people making Richard Pryor joke. 

Holds up a lit match and moves it up/down and right to left. 

What's that?  That's Richard Pryor runnin' down the street!

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Modern equivalent of the Richard Pryor joke about people making Richard Pryor joke. 

Holds up a lit match and moves it up/down and right to left. 

What's that?  That's Richard Pryor runnin' down the street!

Richard Pryor appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson after he recovered from the fire. Carson introduced Pryor and there was a huge round of applause. Pryor took a seat next to Carson.

Carson leaned toward Pryor and reached to touch his arm as a warm gesture. When Carson's hand touched Pryor's forearm, Pryor screamed in agony. Carson was mortified and leapt back. 

Pryor starts laughing. It brought down the house. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Dwayne Haskins

Jesus please don't let Adam Schefter write my obituary.

D as in David, an underperforming graduate of the University of Texas, died today when his fat ass fell down some stairs. Onlookers report his last moments were spent pissing and shitting himself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Nichelle Nichols (89)
Mick Fleetwood (74)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (74)
Donald Fagen (73)
John "Ozzy" Osbourne (73)
Ric Flair (72)
Laurence Tureaud (69)
Bret Hart (64)
Charlie Sheen (56)
Dwayne Haskins (24)

Guess I’m on the board.

RIP, 24 way way too young though.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's a pretty low bar for celebrity if he qualifies as one.

I don't want people to get run down by cars, but I can't manage to care about all of them.

He has a wiki page so your attempt to subvert the rules and have McCroskey’s pick disqualified should be denied. Better luck next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

He has a wiki page so your attempt to subvert the rules and have McCroskey’s pick disqualified should be denied. Better luck next year. 

Hell, it's like a fuckin' Nobel Prize then. I stand corrected and ashamed of my failure to grasp the rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:19 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

RIP to (to my knowledge) the original "Big Cat":  Rayfield Wright

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33694015/rayfield-wright-hall-famer-dallas-cowboys-legend-dies-76

needs more play in the main forum

he couldn't count the number of concussions he received, but he kept staubach alive for 7 years, and as soon as cat was done, #12 only played 2 more years

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

Guess I’m on the board.

RIP, 24 way way too young though.

Damn, that was a full court no-look prayer at the buzzer.  And you nailed it.  I dont understand the randomness of the pick, but, hey man, nice shot.

Edited by Burt

the crew of gemini VII are both alive (borman and lovell), and they both flew with anders (also still alive) on apollo VIII, the first human spaceflight to leave earth and orbit the moon

there are a smattering of other gemini and apollo program guys still around, but borman and lovell flying together twice and both still being alive at this point is statistically unlikely

the 3-man crew of apollo IX are also all alive

mercury (crew of 1): 7 guys, 6 missions, all gone

gemini (crew of 2): 16 guys, 10 missions, 4 flew twice, 10 gone, 6 alive, most of whom also flew on apollo

no other apollo, skylab or ASTP complete crews are still alive

unless musk pulls a cheshire cat out of his ass to make the '26 hohman transfer opportunity, none of the remaining gemini or apollo guys are likely to live long enough to see a man on mars

the crew of gemini VII are both alive (borman and lovell), and they both flew with anders (also still alive) on apollo VIII, the first human spaceflight to leave earth and orbit the moon
there are a smattering of other gemini and apollo program guys still around, but borman and lovell flying together twice and both still being alive at this point is statistically unlikely
gemini (crew of 2): 16 guys, 10 missions, 4 flew twice, 10 gone, 6 alive, most of whom also flew on apollo
unless musk pulls a cheshire cat out of his ass to make the '26 hohman transfer opportunity, none of the remaining gemini or apollo guys are likely to live long enough to see a man on mars

2db43be4c99c9ba4f5eaf8e63f7c4da4.gif
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I find that really sad.... that after Apollo we just packed it in as far as manned excursions to the Moon & Mars were concerned.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

What lead you to add a 24 year old has been to the your list?

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Damn, that was a full court no-look prayer at the buzzer.  And you nailed it.  I dont understand the randomness of the pick, but, hey man, nice shot.

hmmm...does McCroskey live in Florida, and do we know what kind of car he drives? 🤔

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He probably thought he’d commit suicide or something. The guy seemed like he was unstable.

24 is way to fucking young.

Basically this. I took Antonio Brown last year…others picked Manziel for multiple years…Aaron Hernandez was a solid prediction. A lot of these guys unfortunately just seem destined for bad outcomes.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The Office Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

Fucking-A-fuck.  McDonald, Saget, and Gottfried (i before e, you fucking cunts!).

That they all went within months of each other.  Damn tragedy, but probably for the best.  They are all their own cup of tea when it came to standup.  Each had some varying levels of success on the screen, but were all wildly successful stand-ups in their own niche.  But again, not for everyone.  They were all friends with one another.  But here's the killer, the three of them...to a man.  They have all been described to me by people I know and trust as being the three kindest, sweetest people in their generation of comedy.  All three incredibly, almost alarmingly so, devoted to their family and friends despite being so fucking twisted on stage.  If you could invent a rubric of comedy + heart + humility, from their generation---these three guys take the cake and then some.  And they all went around the same time.  That's something.  Funnier comics from their contemporaries?  Sure.  Better men from their circle?  Obviously.  More success had by their peers?  Sure.  But these three guys, with Gilbert now sadly following, all top notch guys with big hearts, big laughs, and wonderful lives lived...cut just a little too short.  Weird they went so close together.  A dark curtain closed over my sense of humor, many of ours actually. 

RIP, Gilbert.  Everybody says you were an absolute treasure who pushed the envelope while being a devoted family man.  

When Saint Peter's asks later today about your rant about all the shit, and the piss, and the cum, and the blood, and the lube, and jizz, and the spit...may you simply say, "And what did I call my life?  The Aristocrats!"