2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

She annihilated Badosa.  I could see her back to winning the French if she can solve Iga.  

Tiafoe lost to a new super midget in Estoril.  I think he’s even shorter than Schwartzman but  damn the way he generates power in his ground strokes is phenomenal.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Hell of a match between Alcaraz and Nadal. The kid finally got his first win over his idol today 

I wonder how much the altitude (faster court) affected the match.

This was psychologically more important than an indicator or like-for-like for Paris. I think that Rome is more of a like-for-like for Paris. 

Still… anyone but Novak!

WTA…

Pegula & Gauff lost the tiebreaker in the quarterfinals, so Pegula fortunately didn’t have to play two doubles matches on her “off day”.

It would have been nice to have seen them win another 1000 Doubles title, but if they weren’t going to win, losing in the quarterfinals was best for Pegula. 

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So Alcaraz backs up his win over Nadal by beating Djokovic. The kid is special

Not just beating him - 3 set with two breakers.  Really impressive and huge balls to drop shot one of the quickest guys on tour, repeatedly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Holy Shnikees!

I recorded it, but hadn’t seen the score. Just as long as Novak never wins a major tournament again, I’m okay. 😁

It will be interesting to see how his year goes. 

Fairly certain that I just saw Figo (Portuguese footballer and Real Madrid legend)in the stands between the 4th & 5th games. 

SoCal native Marcos Giron was stoked to play in front of a great crowd today and stoked to beat Diego Schwartzman and is basically stoked about getting a shot as a “lucky loser” to make the most of his time in Rome.

In the breast WTA matchup of the day, Danielle Collins and Simona Halep are underway, early in the first set at 9:32pm Roma, Italia time. 

PS- While on the subject, Anisimova won today over Bencic… which is nice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

All Russians & Belarusians should have been banned from every international sport upon Russia’s invasion in late February. 

Fuck the bitch-assed punks running the ATP & WTA.

I expect everyone who is eligible to play at Wimbledon to actually play. 

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Not RG specific:

Holy shit the level of fitness.

Why does a video of Camila Giorgi say “Maria Sakkari” at the top of it?

If Giorgi had a coach that could help her with strategy and when to roll off the pedal a little, she would have killed Kasatkina today. Instead, she lost in straight sets.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Why does a video of Camila Giorgi say “Maria Sakkari” at the top of it?

If Giorgi had a coach that could help her with strategy and when to roll off the pedal a little, she would have killed Kasatkina today. Instead, she lost in straight sets.

Didn’t make it to the end? Last minute or so was Sakk training.  Different kind of body type but similar fitness.  Both are pretty impressive athletes.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nope, I didn’t make it past Giorgi’s section. Just couldn’t get passed thinking how much having a real coach would have really changed her career. 

Best part was you could see creepy dad filming it in one of the gym sessions with the squat bar.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Best part was you could see creepy dad filming it in one of the gym sessions with the squat bar.

Creepy dad is awful. 

An Argentine who lights the menorah while the Argentine mom slaves over a sewing machine. 

They are a classic immigrant family story, but instead of leaving the old world for the new world, they left the new world and ventured to the old world. It’s all so strange. 

And the dad is awful.