Time to visit Waco

skipperj

54 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

This took some balls and some brains. And a forklift and a U-Haul truck and a backhoe. I find it hard to believe that it was just a crime of opportunity but it's hard to come up with any other explanation.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Thieves-use-forklift-to-steal-ATM--513139851.html

Agreed. This was planned out. The fork lift 200 yards away gave them the inspiration. 

5 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Waco restaurant scene is awful.  I can count on one hand which ones I will eat.  At least Waco BBQ options have stepped up in the last few years.  There is no Italian worth a damn, tex mex is nothing special with Chuys being on the top of the list.  Diamond backs has been steadily declining to the point I refuse to spend money there.  135 has actually stepped up and is the top of my list for date night.  Georges will only be good for as long as Sammy hangs in there.  Hell, even Ridgewood's is off my list now that the new chef is dishing out nothing but crap the last few months.  

God I miss the Northwood Inn.   

Moroso.  Their specialty meals are really good, their pizza legit.   They will be rolling out full menu stuff soon.   Dan does a great job.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Moroso.  Their specialty meals are really good, their pizza legit.   They will be rolling out full menu stuff soon.   Dan does a great job.   

I need to give them another chance. I must have gone on a off night last time.  

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I had not heard of this place until your post. I spent a lot of time in Naples while in the Navy and was a big fan of the pizza there. Very basic by American standards but the beauty was in the simplicity. When I was living in northern North Carolina near the Virginia border there was a guy in South Boston, VA who had somehow found his way there from Naples and ran a little pizza and calzone shop. Amazing. No idea where he was getting his ingredients from but they were fantastic. Strange to find such a place in the middle of sticksville.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I had not heard of this place until your post. I spent a lot of time in Naples while in the Navy and was a big fan of the pizza there. Very basic by American standards but the beauty was in the simplicity. When I was living in northern North Carolina near the Virginia border there was a guy in South Boston, VA who had somehow found his way there from Naples and ran a little pizza and calzone shop. Amazing. No idea where he was getting his ingredients from but they were fantastic. Strange to find such a place in the middle of sticksville.

It's a fantastic little place.  Dan is an absolute treasure of a person as well. Just a fun person to visit with.  Saw him about 2 weeks ago and he had a chef in visiting from Chicago who is a  transplant from Naples.  Pretty sure the guy is going to be coming here from Chicago and they are going to be doing another location or full-restaurant concept in the new area that is going into Woodway.  

As far as Moroso goes, much of their ingredients are imported from Italy  (most of their cheeses, their flour for the pizza dough, etc.)  He spent 30k on his oven that was custom built in Naples, and assembled by the company who made it and flew it here.  He wanted everything done the old country way. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Waco restaurant scene is awful.  I can count on one hand which ones I will eat.  At least Waco BBQ options have stepped up in the last few years.  There is no Italian worth a damn, tex mex is nothing special with Chuys being on the top of the list.  Diamond backs has been steadily declining to the point I refuse to spend money there.  135 has actually stepped up and is the top of my list for date night.  Georges will only be good for as long as Sammy hangs in there.  Hell, even Ridgewood's is off my list now that the new chef is dishing out nothing but crap the last few months.  

God I miss the Northwood Inn.   

It really is awful. 9 times out of 10 these days we'll just go to a hole in the wall authentic Mexican place if we're going out. It feels like it's the only authentic flavor you can get in town. I did have a bit of luck with Taste, Moroso, and also with Cajun Craft (for the Pho weirdly enough), but it's a long way to being a decent food city. Way too many people here are chain whores because they have city envy and think that a Pappdeaux is the height of fancy city life. I'd give 2 years salary to see a Mala Sichuan type restaurant open up here, but yeah it isn't happening.

Edited by SimonBolivar

56 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

We're going to check out Revival tonight on Elm.  Fingers crossed.  I figured if I bitch about the eating options in Waco the least I could do was support new places.

https://www.instagram.com/revivaleastsideeatery/

I don't want to doxx anyone here but I believe @Trey3216is familiar with the business community on Elm Street.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I did when I was much younger but the professionals I was dealing with then were a different sort.

Mine too.  Hence my tripling revenue at a certain venue and exodus after 6 months.  Partnered with some folks that didn't understand that business, and thought it was the name only that was bringing the business.  They found out quickly when 2 weeks after I left they lost 70% of their revenues.  

When I handed them the keys, I said "If you want to be the gander, you can't kill the goose", threw them the keys, and told them to have fun.  

One of them told me about 3 years ago that that was the most aptly stated business quote he'd ever heard, and he was sorry.  I still won't do business with any of them ever again.  

Edited by Trey3216

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Mine too.  Hence my tripling revenue at a certain venue and exodus after 6 months.  Partnered with some folks that didn't understand that business, and thought it was the name only that was bringing the business.  They found out quickly when 2 weeks after I left they lost 70% of their revenues.  

When I handed them the keys, I said "If you want to be the gander, you can't kill the goose", threw them the keys, and told them to have fun.  

One of them told me about 3 years ago that that was the most aptly stated business quote he'd ever heard, and he was sorry.  I still won't do business with any of them ever again.  

Couple of coworkers and I used to frequent a BBQ joint in Fort Worth on the banks of the Trinity River. We referred to it as Q with a view. They had no windows. Place stayed slammed.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

We're going to check out Revival tonight on Elm.  Fingers crossed.  I figured if I bitch about the eating options in Waco the least I could do was support new places.

https://www.instagram.com/revivaleastsideeatery/

fiance' went to lunch there Wednesday, said it was very good albeit a little slow and limited menu due to their being new and working the kinks out.  

report back, please...

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

fiance' went to lunch there Wednesday, said it was very good albeit a little slow and limited menu due to their being new and working the kinks out.  

report back, please...

Ok. Finishing up now.

I got The Rachel. Toasted sourdough, roast beef, pickled onions, arugula, and horseradish aioli with a Brotherwell pint.  

It was really tasty.  I wish the portion was a little bigger but it was a good sandwich.  Came with fries that were nice and crispy.  

My wife got the sandwich with portobello mushrooms, arugula and something else with a beer.  She liked it.  Came with a broccoli slaw which was really good. Really good.

Kids burger was a little dry but had good flavor.  Can't vouch for the burgers and I might be cautious to order one.

Met Danielle the owner.  She was awesome.  Explained the challenges of their first week.  Mentioning a long wait time earlier in the week that @Kyrie Eleisonmentioned.  They don't have a chef, only line cooks, and everything is made fresh.

This is her first restaurant so I expect there to be growing pains but I'm pulling for her.  She's super nice and earnest.

The atmosphere is good and since it's nice we set outside on the picnic tables.  Our kids played corn hole on the patio.  It's a laid back family atmosphere with really good service.  

Two sandwiches and side with a kids burger(shared) and fries plus two beers came to $45 plus tip.

We'll come back.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

This is her first restaurant so I expect there to be growing pains but I'm pulling for her.  She's super nice and earnest.

That’s great and all but is it as good as the Golden Corral on Valley Mills because that place is allsome.??

If Sam at Diamond Point has been your barber you know that he's been out for awhile now. I called the shop and his wife and son-in-law were there. The wife told me that he had complications after knee replacement and is at Senior Care of Hewitt. Not sure if/when he'll be back. Hope it's soon 'cause fuck these chain places. Cocksuckers can't cut a mans hair to save their life.

10 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Sam claims to be the first tenant at Diamondpoint. He cut my hair twice in one day back in the 70's when I was trying to register for the next school year at Midway. Only charged me the first time.

The shopping center has changed names but his shop is still "Diamond Point". I guess he owns the name now. 

lulz...friend of mine has this case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/j5ye88/texas-man-facing-six-months-in-jail-for-sending-chocolate-penis-to-sheriffs-department-worker

Texas Man Facing Six Months in Jail for Sending Chocolate Penis to Sheriff's Department Worker

It has been almost two years since Thomas Roy Gourneau anonymously mailed a chocolate penis to his former girlfriend's ex-husband, and that candy dick has been creating trouble for him ever since.

According to the Waco Tribune-Herald, Gourneau mailed the edible genitalia to Tracy Chance's office at the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office in December 2017. Chance responded by subpoenaing Gourneau's financial records—presumably to prove that he was the dick-sender—and Gourneau was arrested and charged with misdemeanor harassment in December 2018. He was released from jail after posting $2,500 bond.

I question whether if I or somebody not involved in law enforcement had called 911, and said we had a matter that needed to be investigated and told them I had received a chocolate candy bar in the shape of a penis, how long I would be sitting before they arrived at my office or my house to investigate that crime,” Gourneau’s attorney, Cody Cleveland, told the news outlet.

“I just think because this guy works for the sheriff’s office and it got delivered to him at the sheriff’s office that it was easy for him to walk across the hall and get a detective to look into the case."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2019 at 6:57 PM, El Diablo said:

The shopping center has changed names but his shop is still "Diamond Point". I guess he owns the name now. 

I don't suppose I've ever paid any attention to the name of the shop, I've always called it "Sam's". I think you're right, "Diamond Point" as opposed to "Diamondpoint". I'm guessing he doesn't return ☹️.

Took lots of HS dates to the theater there back in the day.

49 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

I don't suppose I've ever paid any attention to the name of the shop, I've always called it "Sam's". I think you're right, "Diamond Point" as opposed to "Diamondpoint". I'm guessing he doesn't return ☹️.

Took lots of HS dates to the theater there back in the day.

Yeah, I saw some good movies in the theater there. Blazing Saddles, Jaws just to name a couple of big ones. Mr Gatti's was the other attraction there that I would frequent.

EDIT: RE: the name of the shop, only reason I know this is because after he started missing work back around Easter I tried to call there and had to find the phone number. It's always been just Sam's or Sam and Doug's shop to me.

Edited by El Diablo

On 7/27/2019 at 10:31 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

new Lebanese place opening up soon next to Crunch. if they manage to have kibbeh nayyeh i may be taking an extra hour for a post workout lunch.

That location next to Crunch has been snakebit. I hope this idea works out and I'll certainly give it a shot.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

Went to the farmers market this morning.  I miss it being under the oaks by the river.

Got some pickles.  I could have bought one of everything this lady was selling.  Pineapple Jalapeno Jam was amazing.  

Had some dill sauerkraut that was awesome and discovered my favorite breakfast tacos in Waco at Sergio's food truck.  I understand they are usually in the parking lot outside of Dichotomy during the week. 

Kids got nightlight donuts.  I'd read about them they're like a croissant donut.  $3 each is a little much for me when it comes to donuts but they were outstanding.  Would recommend.

So yeah 

tenor.gif?itemid=3739732

42 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Went to the farmers market this morning.  I miss it being under the oaks by the river.

Got some pickles.  I could have bought one of everything this lady was selling.  Pineapple Jalapeno Jam was amazing.  

Had some dill sauerkraut that was awesome and discovered my favorite breakfast tacos in Waco at Sergio's food truck.  I understand they are usually in the parking lot outside of Dichotomy during the week. 

Kids got nightlight donuts.  I'd read about them they're like a croissant donut.  $3 each is a little much for me when it comes to donuts but they were outstanding.  Would recommend.

So yeah 

tenor.gif?itemid=3739732

Nightlight Donuts are made out of crack cocaine and heaven dust.  

Went to the Waco Ale Company today.  It's their 4th day open.  We didn't have much time so got a flight for 6 bucks.  

It was pretty good. I'm not a beer snob by any means.  Bud Light and Dos XX for me but I liked the pilsner and Kolsch.

They said they'll have a restaurant starting 8/24.  

It's nice enough inside with stools, tables and couches.  Doesn't look like the inside is completely done yet.

13 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Went to the Waco Ale Company today.  It's their 4th day open.  We didn't have much time so got a flight for 6 bucks.  

It was pretty good. I'm not a beer snob by any means.  Bud Light and Dos XX for me but I liked the pilsner and Kolsch.

They said they'll have a restaurant starting 8/24.  

It's nice enough inside with stools, tables and couches.  Doesn't look like the inside is completely done yet.

I was there as well.  Haha. I love that they’ve got Crowlers.  Brought home one of the Ryes.  Gonna polish that bad boy off after I redo my garage on the hottest day of the year.  Brett is a buddy of mine.  They have some small kinks to work through, and opening the restaurant portion will add more, but it’s a nice little setup that should do well.  The beer is good 

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It’s 106 over here in WoodHewWaco.  Miserable. My AC hates me right now 

My automobile has a very predictable thermometer. It's off by 2 degrees but consistent with the error. It read 110 when I got off work at 5 so that means it was 108. Pool felt okay but not great. Hardly any breeze. 

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Pass.  Is it indoors?

Hell no, it's outdoors, at least it was last time I went years ago. The stage was set up down on the end of what is the midway during the fair towards Paul Tyson field and the seating was all along the sides of the horse barns back up towards the Exhibits building.  I parked over by Richfield and took a folding camp chair. I think they had Pat Green and Cross Canadian Ragweed that year. I carried a couple of pints in and it was tolerable.