Time to visit Waco

skipperj

Ah, I wasn't aware of the scope of the renovations. I don't think that the new expo building will be a concert venue though, it isn't any bigger than the coliseum itself at least in footprint. The coliseum seats 5K maybe? Probably less? With so many entertainment options available now that weren't around 40 years ago I don't know that they're able to fill the coliseum now, with a few exceptions being a big draw concert or wrestling event. I guess the new building could be set up with chairs on the floor to pack more people in.

It looks to me like they tore down the newer half of the exhibits building, the one with no plumbing, and are going to convert the older half into storage. The new big building is just going to be a new and improved exhibits hall. I guess they can have concerts in there, just not sure about capacity. Just my take. 

I read somewhere that the guy who runs the fairgrounds said once it's completed they'll be able to fill it every weekend with more than one event.  Like volleyball and horse showing.

I'm not sure if that's correct but that's the impetus for the reno.

Makes me want to buy one of those little houses off of Bosque and turn it into an AirBNB

My experience just over the last few months since I started taking pictures at the horse shows is that the exhibit building was rarely rented, the actual coliseum even less so or maybe about the same. Once every few months seems to be about it. I guess a new and more versatile building will eventually be consistently utilized but I'd imagine that it will take some time to get to that point. The dumps over on Frederick, Lasker etc... might be good to buy and hold onto if possible. They're cheap right now, prolly 40K homes. If you could find 2 side by side and raze one to provide horse trailer parking for the rental it might be something that would work.

So the Water Works building was appraised at $175,000. Gloria Young sold it to Taylor and Rachel Hobbs (some relation to the Hobbs Bonded Fiber people). Looks like it will not be another restaurant but rather office space. Gloria apparently go tired of hearing about drunken shenanigans there and wouldn't sell unless it was going to be something other than a den of sin. I say give it time. It may not become a bar or restaurant again real soon but I can just about guarantee that it will be one of those again at some point in its future.

41 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So the Water Works building was appraised at $175,000. Gloria Young sold it to Taylor and Rachel Hobbs (some relation to the Hobbs Bonded Fiber people). Looks like it will not be another restaurant but rather office space. Gloria apparently go tired of hearing about drunken shenanigans there and wouldn't sell unless it was going to be something other than a den of sin. I say give it time. It may not become a bar or restaurant again real soon but I can just about guarantee that it will be one of those again at some point in its future.

I'm glad it's at least going to be something. It's a cool old building and it needs to have some sort of life

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I'm glad it's at least going to be something. It's a cool old building and it needs to have some sort of life

Yeah, it's a 120 year old building with lots of nice old features. I'm sure they'll do the renovation right.

On a different yet wholly Waco sort of tangent, I keep my radio in the car on the ESPN radio station pretty much all the time. I love the black gospel preacher on Sunday mornings, lol. Simple, folksy, home-spun goodness. Sometimes I do my HEB run on Sunday mornings and get a quick dose of it. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not go to the Margarita and Sausage Festival this weekend but I DID go to the drag boat races on Lake Brazos. It was aight. I had not been in many years and it seemed that all of the hot ass that I remember from my youth was still there, only they were now my current age. No bueno. But the boats were nice.

MTT_1490_00001.jpg

MTT_1514_00001.jpg

49 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

If you had a good enough running start, do you think its possible to reach the water from Lovers Leap?

I don't know. I do know that for many years it was an annual event to have some drunk fall off the cliffs overlooking the boat races. Then some Baylor kid did it so the city had a bond issued to build fencing along the tops of the cliffs to keep folks from getting a free seat for the fun.

For the BBQ fans this news is a bit old but Guess Family BBQ is going to open in the old Michna's location at 28th and Franklin sometime this coming month. 

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I did not go to the Margarita and Sausage Festival this weekend but I DID go to the drag boat races on Lake Brazos. It was aight. I had not been in many years and it seemed that all of the hot ass that I remember from my youth was still there, only they were now my current age. No bueno. But the boats were nice.

MTT_1490_00001.jpg

MTT_1514_00001.jpg

I had my kids down at Pecan Bottoms on Sunday and could see them from down there.  Definitely heard them.  

I've never been.  Is it crowded?

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I had my kids down at Pecan Bottoms on Sunday and could see them from down there.  Definitely heard them.  

I've never been.  Is it crowded?

I didn't think so but I got there early and got a front row seat so if there was a crowd it was all behind me.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know. I do know that for many years it was an annual event to have some drunk fall off the cliffs overlooking the boat races. Then some Baylor kid did it so the city had a bond issued to build fencing along the tops of the cliffs to keep folks from getting a free seat for the fun.

For the BBQ fans this news is a bit old but Guess Family BBQ is going to open in the old Michna's location at 28th and Franklin sometime this coming month. 

I've been waiting on this.  I used to love going to Michnas and getting the all you could eat buffet.  It looks like the outside is nearly done with the exception of some branding. 

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

MTT_1490_00001.jpg

MTT_1514_00001.jpg

The Mrs and I were hiking at Cameron Park on Sunday and I got about 3 hours of those engines. I hate this event every year and every year I seem to catch it while hiking. I honestly have no idea what you people get out of watching fast boats that make you deaf in 110 degree weather.

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The Mrs and I were hiking at Cameron Park on Sunday and I got about 3 hours of those engines. I hate this event every year and every year I seem to catch it while hiking. I honestly have no idea what you people get out of watching fast boats that make you deaf in 110 degree weather.

Eh, ear plugs, cold beverages and plenty of shade available. I guess it's like watching NASCAR or Texags, you tune in for the potential epic fuckup and are okay with the surroundings for the opportunity of that experience.

I thought I had something when this guy had an interesting start to his race. 

MTT_1485_00001.jpg

Just now, El Diablo said:

Eh, ear plugs, cold beverages and plenty of shade available. I guess it's like watching NASCAR or Texags, you tune in for the potential epic fuckup and are okay with the surroundings for the opportunity of that experience.

I thought I had something when this guy had an interesting start to his race. 

MTT_1485_00001.jpg

I was on the river trail of a few passes and it felt dangerous as hell to be there with nothing but a single tree between me and the racers. I gotta admit. I hadn't seen that many jorts in a loooong time.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I was on the river trail of a few passes and it felt dangerous as hell to be there with nothing but a single tree between me and the racers. I gotta admit. I hadn't seen that many jorts in a loooong time.

It can be dangerous to be a spectator, ask Dan Pastorini. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another hotel.  This time in honor of Grant Teaff.  On the old Young Brothers site off Lasalle.

This shit is getting out of hand

Football-Program-Layout-FINAL-789x1024.j

A local businessman with a track record of proposals that have failed to come to fruition has launched a multimedia advertising campaign for a planned 17-story, 326-unit hotel on Lake Brazos called the Grant Hotel, in honor of Baylor University’s winningest football coach, Grant Teaff.

“I retired in 2013 with the purpose of doing this,” said L.M. Dyson, former professor of real estate at Baylor, speaking by phone from out-of-state, where he and his wife are undergoing medical treatment.

“And we are going to get it done,” added Dyson, who said Base4, an international architectural firm specializing in modular construction, has spearheaded design of the complex Dyson proposes placing at Marlin Highway and South Loop Drive, near La Salle Avenue, on land once occupied by Young Brothers Contractors and later Knife River Construction.

He said Alabama-based Z Modular will oversee construction, in consultation with a general contractor yet to be named. The Arlington office of Tera Engineering also is involved in the Grant Hotel, Dyson said.

Asked if the local lodging market needs another 300 rooms, considering more than 600 currently are under construction and hundreds more announced, Dyson said, “It doesn’t matter what I think. I’ve had it studied and restudied by a lot of people a lot smarter than me. There will be demand.”

He said his respect and admiration for Teaff prompted him to champion the project. He said Teaff has no financial stake in the venture.

Turning to financial backing, Dyson said he could not discuss specifics.

“What it might cost to build, we’re finalizing as we speak. I’ve had several conference calls, as you might imagine,” Dyson said. “Yes, we have lined up financing, but I can’t comment on that. We’re at a point, legally, where I’ve got to be careful about what I say and what I don’t say.”

Teaff has aligned himself with the project, appearing in spots showed on the large message board in McLane Stadium during last Saturday’s game against Stephen F. Austin State University. Teaff and his wife, Donell, also appear on a website for the hotel plans that is linked to an ad on the Baylor athletics website, baylorbears.com.

The hotel and adjacent attractions, including a 100-foot-long boat for dinner cruises and Brazos River tours called the Lady Donell, would occupy acreage specifically at 1923 Marlin Highway and South Loop Drive.

Baylor officials, meanwhile, said the university has no affiliation with the project other than selling advertising space and rights to the title of “Official Hotel of Baylor Athletics.”

A blog post by Base4 Architects and Engineers, which is designing the modular hotel for Dyson, states Grant Hotel would become part of a larger development called Chisholm Landing, “which will feature the world’s largest climbing tower, a riverboat modular hotel, ropes course, and indoor climbing facility.” The post also states the hotel’s second floor would be made available to students pursuing careers in culinary and hospitality fields.

“We are so excited that Base4 Architects are a part of our team,” Dyson is quoted as saying in the blog post, which identifies him as president of the Grant Hotel Hospitality Institute. “They have created a design for a world-class full-service hotel, but have also paid attention to the academic component of our mission.”

Records at the Texas Secretary of State’s Office show the Grant Hotel Hospitality Institute was formed July 7, 2017, as a nonprofit corporation. Dyson is one of three directors, the others being Waco businessman Stanton Brown and Parker Park-Sing Eng, from Plano, according to Secretary of State’s Office records. Neither Stanton nor Eng could be reached Thursday.

Dyson said the nonprofit status is specifically tied to the hospitality institute the hotel will house. Asked how that status might impact construction costs, Dyson said nonprofit foundations pay no sales tax on materials.

“No honor for Coach Teaff is complete without including his wife, Donell, who attended almost every practice, tirelessly cut newspaper photos, and sent them along with personal notes of encouragement to the players,” the hotel website states. “As a capstone for Coach Teaff’s vision to put student athletes’ education first, the Grant Hotel and the Lady Donell will also serve as a working laboratory on culinary, hospitality and tourism … for students from various colleges and universities, thus honoring his legacy for many years to come.”

Teaff said though Dyson has been fighting health issues, “He’s getting pretty far along on this. He’s rocking and rolling. It is my understanding he would like to see construction winding down in about a year.”

“I’d like to see it start tomorrow,” Dyson said in his interview.

Clint Peters, the city of Waco’s planning director, said Dyson received the Planned Unit Development designation he needs to proceed. Peters said Grant Hotel appears related to the Chisholm Landing venture that first came before the city in 2016, then again in 2018, proposed by Bear Pump Riverfront Properties LLC, and also with Dyson playing a lead role. The group proposed apartments, a hotel, a restaurant, shops and a hike-and-bike trail.

Bobby Horner, who oversees the city of Waco’s inspection services department, said he communicates with Dyson by phone and email.

“It is my understanding civil plans are being wrapped up,” Horner said. “A lot of site work would need to take place on something like that, obviously, and I’ve not seen anything official.

“He told me in a recent conversation he was going to show a video at the game, one featuring Grant Teaff talking about the Grant Hotel. It looks like this is coming to fruition at some point. It’s going to be impressive, and I would like to see it come to pass.”

In an email response to questions, Baylor University spokeswoman Lori Fogleman said the Dyson-led group bought a sponsorship package through Baylor Bear Sports Properties, which manages multimedia rights for Baylor Athletics.

“As part of the package, they secured a marketing designation as the ‘Official Hotel of Baylor Athletics,’” Fogleman wrote.

“The project does not have any further involvement of Baylor University or the Athletics Department,” she wrote. “Dr. Dyson retired from Baylor University in 2013 and currently does not have a faculty appointment.”

Dyson has proposed other large projects, including a Woodway golf course in the 1990s. His introduction to the public included a visit by former PGA star Gary Player, who would design the course that did not materialize.

In 2010, his company broke ground on a 444-unit apartment complex near Baylor called Legacy Lofts, but the project was abandoned because of financial problems.

Two people, both identifying themselves as Baylor graduates, sent email messages to the Tribune-Herald regarding the abundance of Grant Hotel-related messages circulating around McLane Stadium last Saturday.

Steve Swingler said those sitting near him were puzzled by references to Grant Hotel until the coach himself appeared on a video “describing the facility, its riverfront location” and the boat named in honor of Donell Teaff.

“I really hope it gets built and is a success,” said Swingler, who said he would reserve comment on its feasibility until knowing more about financing.

“This is about Grant and Donell Teaff. It’s not about me,” Dyson said.

image.png

So THAT'S where Pappadeaux's is going in! 

I've seen enough of these pipe dreams for developments come and go, I'm not holding my breath.

For the so inclined, Balcones Distillery will be having a Bourbon Bash this coming Saturday, the 14th. I think they may be serving up a new offering but could be wrong on that.

Most here will probably be headed to Houston to see Rice get snapped, crackled and popped but if you're not going to that you can head north and let the old lady browse Magnoliaworld while you get soused. She spends your money, you get drunk. It'll be just like any other weekend!

Edited by El Diablo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I find that the most adamantly pro-union people I know don't belong to one,

It does make for some interesting interplay between management and labor. There's a certain superficial and oftentimes strained cordiality that might not otherwise exist. I find that amusing so I guess that's a plus.

Co-worker is going to check out Union Hall this weekend, any Surly folks been?

ate lunch there yesterday...about 1/3 full with vendors. had the tongotsu with brisket and rib meat at KoKo Ramen...good shit.

when the rest of the vendors finally move it it’ll kick. Cambodian place (Blasian Asian) and the poke’ truck are about a week away.

24 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

ate lunch there yesterday...about 1/3 full with vendors. had the tongotsu with brisket and rib meat at KoKo Ramen...good shit.

when the rest of the vendors finally move it it’ll kick. Cambodian place (Blasian Asian) and the poke’ truck are about a week away.

KoKo Ramen is the place she said she was going. She's been a fan of theirs for a while and was sad when they closed up shop to make the new place ready. She's been out the last couple days so I don't know if she's been yet or not. Thanks for the report. I think the place will do well in general. Some places may not cut it but the overall concept will work I think and be a long term fixture.

You boys can waste your time at Union Hall but I've only got eyes for one Ho and she's Fat.

And I'm gonna need me some of that Thot Box

Fat Ho Burgers food truck spotted in Waco

image-from-ios-6.jpg

WACO, TX — Heads were turning in Waco when the Fat Ho Burgers food truck was spotted on Franklin Ave.

In 2011, the food truck made headlines for it's name, and offers the famous "Thot Box".

According to Eater.com , when the food truck first entered the Waco scene, there was a Facebook group demanding the truck change it's name.

The menu had items like the "Supa Fly Ho w/ Chz" and the Supa Dupa Fly Ho w/ Chz. There was even a "Sloppy Ho Brisket".

Owner Lakita Evans plans to have the food truck up and running by February 2020.

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So traffic was it’s predictably bad disaster today from what I’ve heard.   73 minutes to get through Waco on I-35 today (according to the TXDoT sign.  Glad I’m going to Dallas first thing in the morning rather than tonight. 

Same.  Headed to Allen at 830 tomorrow.

Hopefully it's manageable

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

So traffic was it’s predictably bad disaster today from what I’ve heard.   73 minutes to get through Waco on I-35 today (according to the TXDoT sign.  Glad I’m going to Dallas first thing in the morning rather than tonight. 

Waco, TX is one hour from Waco, TX if you take I-35.

52 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'll give it a shot.  Good for that woman for giving it another shot.

I eat at Dubl R but will definitely give this one a chance

I go to Dubl R, Dave’s Burger Barn, Cupp’s,  Billy Bob’s downtown on occasion, and Griff’s if I’m out near CS for burgers.   I’ll sometimes do the Border Burger at Georges as well.  Tasty