Time to visit Waco

skipperj

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I were talking about which restaurants we were gonna support during the lockdown.  We decided on 

Dubl R.  - Honestly if you can use the bathroom there you are probably immune. But I need my Dubl-Dubl with tots

Revival- they are doing to go family meals with that will free 4 for $30 plus we are gonna get a couple of Tshirts.  It's not my favorite place to eat but I really like the woman who opened it and think we should support her courage.  Check out her Instagram for the meals.  Think you have to order it a day ahead

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy.  So we'll order meals. Plus he had wine for 25%off

Jesse's Tortilla Factory - time to stock up on tortillas, tamales, chips, and salsa

Lula Janes

Hecho En Waco

900 Degrees Pizza

Sergio's food truck. Best Bacon Potato Egg and Cheese breakfast tacos I've ever eaten. And I've eaten 1000s of breakfast tacos

Anybody doing similar

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy. 

Specific to this, unless it's a really short drive and I'll be eating immediately, I always open the box of a takeout pizza and let it cool as quickly as possible. Prevents the steamed floppy crust, and you can reheat in an oven or on a hot pan on the stove and it's nearly the same as hot and fresh.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Post Oak said:

The wife and I were talking about which restaurants we were gonna support during the lockdown.  We decided on 

Dubl R.  - Honestly if you can use the bathroom there you are probably immune. But I need my Dubl-Dubl with tots

Revival- they are doing to go family meals with that will free 4 for $30 plus we are gonna get a couple of Tshirts.  It's not my favorite place to eat but I really like the woman who opened it and think we should support her courage.  Check out her Instagram for the meals.  Think you have to order it a day ahead

Moroso - the pizza is great but doesn't travel well to go because it steams on the box and gets floppy.  So we'll order meals. Plus he had wine for 25%off

Jesse's Tortilla Factory - time to stock up on tortillas, tamales, chips, and salsa

Lula Janes

Hecho En Waco

900 Degrees Pizza

Sergio's food truck. Best Bacon Potato Egg and Cheese breakfast tacos I've ever eaten. And I've eaten 1000s of breakfast tacos

Anybody doing similar

We had Whizzbangs on Wed Night

A group of us had Barnett’s do a spread Monday with a whiskey bar/beer delivered.

Did a Sergio’s beef fajita burrito and picked up some Waco Ale Co.   

• Like 2

I don't know if any of you fellow hell dwellers listen to the local ESPN sports talk radio affiliate 1660, but they apparently went thru a major divorce in the last week or so. David Smoak, his son Craig and one of the other guys left to join an "internet radio" station. Whole deal seemed weird.

21 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I heard about that but I don't listen to them much.

Their programming has been my background noise for years. I guess it was around 2010 or so when David Smoak came to town from East Texas and he did up the quality of the broadcasting a good bit. Just seems like a weird deal, to leave an ESPN affiliate to go to work for a Baylor-centric internet radio startup. I guess there may be more to the story. Baylor has used 1660 as their "flagship" station for most of my life. If the university is behind all of this then it would make some sense but outside of that I can't understand it. The AD at Baylor, Mack Rhoades, has been pretty progressive in his approach to utilizing the internet to further the school's branding efforts. They, with considerable derision from the olds, "broadcast" one of the OOC football games on Facebook. Maybe they're just ahead of the curve here but somehow I doubt it.

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Their programming has been my background noise for years. I guess it was around 2010 or so when David Smoak came to town from East Texas and he did up the quality of the broadcasting a good bit. Just seems like a weird deal, to leave an ESPN affiliate to go to work for a Baylor-centric internet radio startup. I guess there may be more to the story. Baylor has used 1660 as their "flagship" station for most of my life. If the university is behind all of this then it would make some sense but outside of that I can't understand it. The AD at Baylor, Mack Rhoades, has been pretty progressive in his approach to utilizing the internet to further the school's branding efforts. They, with considerable derision from the olds, "broadcast" one of the OOC football games on Facebook. Maybe they're just ahead of the curve here but somehow I doubt it.

Man I hope they bring back Butch & Tom. More naner puddin' talk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Man I hope they bring back Butch & Tom. More naner puddin' talk.

Butch is still around I think, seems like he moved to one of the earlier hours and maybe paired with one of the other guys. They have a couple of smaller market stations they broadcast on and I think that's where they are.

Barfield is sitting in a custom kayak on the Brazos hoping to feed the beaver.

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Butch is still around I think, seems like he moved to one of the earlier hours and maybe paired with one of the other guys. They have a couple of smaller market stations they broadcast on and I think that's where they are.

Barfield is sitting in a custom kayak on the Brazos hoping to feed the beaver.

I feel like I should understand your Tom comment, but I honestly don't ... he selling boats?

34 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

MILO...Corey’s a good dude and we’re doing what we can.

Revival

Martha’s on 19th...best Mexican in town

Moroso’s

and a few others as we think of them.

We’ll probably do Moroso sometime this week.    Shit is gonna get ugly everywhere in a few weeks.  

On 2/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, El Diablo said:

My cousin owns a home in a neighborhood where some Magnolians have a house. The neighbors are all pissed that their tax valuations went up, lol.

Read this as Mongolians at first. Considering we're talking fucking Waco, it makes sense either way but I think more so with Mongolians.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Read this as Mongolians at first. Considering we're talking fucking Waco, it makes sense either way but I think more so with Mongolians.

Please don't put any ideas into Joanna Gaines' head or we'll all be living next door to a yurt in the near future.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Anyone heard if Taste is closed right now? They don't say anything about it on their site/facebook, but when I called nobody answered either.

I haven't heard.  I hope not.  Wife and I have been to Kissing Tree's storefront in BE.  It's a really cool old building right of I35. The woman who owns could not have been nicer.  Although I didn't care much for their wine.

I really enjoyed Taste and was planning on taking my wife back for her Bday in March but that wasn't able to happen.

If you find out if they are let me know and I'll buy a gift card

22 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I haven't heard.  I hope not.  Wife and I have been to Kissing Tree's storefront in BE.  It's a really cool old building right of I35. The woman who owns could not have been nicer.  Although I didn't care much for their wine.

I really enjoyed Taste and was planning on taking my wife back for her Bday in March but that wasn't able to happen.

If you find out if they are let me know and I'll buy a gift card

I've been 3 times and I really like it. I'll keep you updated if I find anything out. Unless @Trey3216 knows from his connections in the industry.

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've been 3 times and I really like it. I'll keep you updated if I find anything out. Unless @Trey3216 knows from his connections in the industry.

I haven’t heard anything as of now.  I imagine they’re not doing the to go ordering because it may not have been marketable at their PP.   

I didn’t like all their wines, but a few of them were solid enough to go enjoy.  Their tasting room is really cool.  It’s an old bank building that still has a lot of original wood and what have you.  I’ll see what I can dig up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I haven’t heard anything as of now.  I imagine they’re not doing the to-go order because it may not have been marketable at their PP.   

I didn’t like all their wines, but a few of them were solid enough to go enjoy.  Their tasting room is really cool.  It’s an old bank building that still has a lot of original wood and what have you.  I’ll see what I can dig up 

I love those old buildings and it was just a creaky and charming as I could've hoped.

I had a Montepulciano at Taste that was really good the first time we went but I don't believe it was one of theirs.

The 2nd time the wine was forgettable but the food was still really good.

I hope they're able to survive.

From my limited interactions with them they seem like wonderful people who chased their dream.

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I love those old buildings and it was just a creaky and charming as I could've hoped.

I had a Montepulciano at Taste that was really good the first time we went but I don't believe it was one of theirs.

The 2nd time the wine was forgettable but the food was still really good.

I hope they're able to survive.

From my limited interactions with them they seem like wonderful people who chased their dream.

That’s more the thing.  The wine isn’t great, but it works.  The scenery and the food (at Taste, and at their Friday night meals at the place in Moody) was good and absolutely helped the wine work.  Great folks 

• 4 weeks later...

News from the Trib and Mike Copeland -

Waco is getting a new grocery store, and H-E-B is not involved.

It will carry the name East Market and Goods, and will go into the Shoppes at 6 Eighty Four Crossing, which represents a new use for the former Club Alazan nightclub space that haunted that address, and law enforcement, for years.

The grocery store will take 6,600 square feet and will double as a farm-to-table establishment, said Gregg Glime, the local Coldwell Banker-affiliated real estate agent marketing the space.

“They will sell fresh vegetables, and provide a farmer’s market set-up on weekends. They will have a big patio where you can enjoy a sandwich or a freshly prepared meal, kind of like Whole Foods,” Glime said.

The grocery store should open in three or four months.

“It’s in the permitting phase with the city now,” Glime said.

At that same locale, Nightlight Donuts will have a drive-thru location. A nail salon, skin-care emporium and Pilates studio also are in the works.

That bar when it first opened in the early 80's was run by the same crew that had managed Mickey's back in '79-'80. I'd worked at Mickey's as a barback before I went into the Navy  and their new gig was the first place I worked when I got out of the Navy in '84. "Mr. B's" it was called originally. It was owned by a local named Behringer and one of my aunts was from that family and was terribly embarrassed that her family name was semi-associated with such an establishment. 

/oldmanramblesonwithnscsb

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, El Diablo said:

That building was originally a jewelry store or it sold jewelry among other items.  I worked as a bar back at Mr. B's for brief time in the mid 80s myself.  Couldn't remember a soul that I worked with though.

49 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

That building was originally a jewelry store or it sold jewelry among other items.  I worked as a bar back at Mr. B's for brief time in the mid 80s myself.  Couldn't remember a soul that I worked with though.

It was built when I was in the Navy I think but there was a pawn shop on one end maybe? Pretty sure Behringer owned that too.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, El Diablo said:

That sounds fantastic, also I've seen signage up for a new Italian restaurant at that location. Does anyone know more about it? @Trey3216 any of your industry contacts been talking about it?

Edited by SimonBolivar

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

That sounds fantastic, also I've seen signage up for a new Italian restaurant at that location. Does anyone know more about it? @Trey3216 any of your industry contacts been talking about it?

As far as I know, Dan Moroso is really good friends with the guy and gave him some high praise, so that would be encouraging to me.  

• Like 1

@Post Oak @SimonBolivar @El Diablo @Kyrie Eleison

About to drop off 15 gallons worth of picked Loquat fruits from my tree at my house to Waco Ale.  They're gonna brew a hazy IPA with it, which will be ready a little down the road.  Gonna be wicked.  We'll have to stop in and try it, since I'll get a nudge nudge deal on it.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

@Post Oak @SimonBolivar @El Diablo @Kyrie Eleison

About to drop off 15 gallons worth of picked Loquat fruits from my tree at my house to Waco Ale.  They're gonna brew a hazy IPA with it, which will be ready a little down the road.  Gonna be wicked.  We'll have to stop in and try it, since I'll get a nudge nudge deal on it.  

Say when. I'm up for a frequent meetup

• Like 1

[mention=379]Post Oak[/mention] [mention=184]SimonBolivar[/mention] [mention=439]El Diablo[/mention] [mention=671]Kyrie Eleison[/mention]

I’m down for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I were driving over the Washington Ave. Bridge on Sunday from Elm.

I looked over at the Doris Miller monument and there was an Instagram thot in her underwear posing in the pool in front of the statue while some dude was taking a picture.

Dorie died for these hoes

• Hook 'Em 1