Time to visit Waco

skipperj

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 7:41 PM, Post Oak said:

Butch Henry passed away at 80.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Yeah, had a buddy text me that day to let me know. My reply, "There's a big ol' helping of nanner puddin' waitin' on him at that big buffet in the sky".

In unrelated news the round bank, aka American Bank, at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and I-35 is being torn down this week. Makes me wonder how folks will find the Luby's restaurant now, the bank building was the landmark that you would exit at.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

In unrelated news the round bank, aka American Bank, at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and I-35 is being torn down this week. Makes me wonder how folks will find the Luby's restaurant now, the bank building was the landmark that you would exit at.

Jesus--is there no end to the destruction that 2020 will bring?  That place has been an I-35 landmark dating back to when I was a kid.

Next you're going to tell me they're tearing down the Owens-Corning plant in Waxahachie and the bubble houses in Italy.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus--is there no end to the destruction that 2020 will bring?  That place has been an I-35 landmark dating back to when I was a kid.

Next you're going to tell me they're tearing down the Owens-Corning plant in Waxahachie and the bubble houses in Italy.

It will not surprise me in the least if they, in typical Waco fashion, attempt to place a square building there. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I accidentally took a wrong turn leaving Italy's downtown area (trying to avoid traffic on 35) and ended up on one of the streets with the dome houses.  Let me just say...I wasn't positive I was going to make it out of that neighborhood alive.   

Just now, Trey3216 said:

I accidentally took a wrong turn leaving Italy's downtown area (trying to avoid traffic on 35) and ended up on one of the streets with the dome houses.  Let me just say...I wasn't positive I was going to make it out of that neighborhood alive.   

You must've been in the Sicily section of town. Real rough area.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Did anyone try Nightlight Donuts when they were a truck? I'm excited to see a boutique donut place open.

Also just realized our food thread is in Lulz...pretty fitting actually.

Nightlight Donuts is absolutely incredible.  They are croissant donuts.   Very rich and full flavored.   They have a maple glazed with bacon bit donut that’ll blow your doors off.   The cinnamon & sugar donuts are my second favorite.  Just great stuff.  Can’t wait for them to get open.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Did anyone try Nightlight Donuts when they were a truck? I'm excited to see a boutique donut place open.

Also just realized our food thread is in Lulz...pretty fitting actually.

They're fantastic.  Used to hit them up at the farmers market.  I'd gobble them down then come home and take a nap on the couch.

Good times

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I might be about to enter a diabetic coma, but its a local diabetic coma.

I thought it was pretty good. Glazed were the best of the flavors I tried. 

Yeah, they’re not an every time I eat donuts option, but moreso a great post-drinking night cap option or when I’m running around at the Farmer’s Market option.   Tasty as hell. 

• 2 months later...

If y’all haven’t been lately, seems that Guess & Helberg are both on top of their game rt now.  Cross posted from the Texas BBQ thread, here’s my brisket and garlic sausage lunch from yesterday at Guess.

also, the kitchen at Waco Ale has been throwing down some really good eats lately   Their burgers are damn good, wings are top notch (one of the best in Waco in my opinion), and their brunch is pretty damn tasty.   Still need to meet up there sometime for a few choice bevs   

4D41D05F-BC5C-4C32-AD05-3C1440F34A9C.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

If y’all haven’t been lately, seems that Guess & Helberg are both on top of their game rt now.  Cross posted from the Texas BBQ thread, here’s my brisket and garlic sausage lunch from yesterday at Guess.

also, the kitchen at Waco Ale has been throwing down some really good eats lately   Their burgers are damn good, wings are top notch (one of the best in Waco in my opinion), and their brunch is pretty damn tasty.   Still need to meet up there sometime for a few choice bevs   

4D41D05F-BC5C-4C32-AD05-3C1440F34A9C.jpeg

looks great.  I'm a straight brisket and sausage guy too.  gonna try to pick up some guess this weekend.  

how were the beans and sides?

yep once this thing is over we need to get the waco bunch together. 

25 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

looks great.  I'm a straight brisket and sausage guy too.  gonna try to pick up some guess this weekend.  

how were the beans and sides?

yep once this thing is over we need to get the waco bunch together. 

Beans were solid, not as much brisket trimmings in them as normal but I was also there at about 1, which is why the damn brisket was all the more impressive.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Saw that Mary “Mama” Baris passed away.  Such a sweet lady.   Always loved her 

I saw that last night. Really sad. I don't think I was ever in there when she wasn't sitting at that table by check out. Definitely won't be the same without her.

Also I'm not sure she's raised her prices in 10 years.

50 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I saw that last night. Really sad. I don't think I was ever in there when she wasn't sitting at that table by check out. Definitely won't be the same without her.

Also I'm not sure she's raised her prices in 10 years.

Or lowered her portions.  

Saw a blurb about a new coffee shop to open later this year, "Bitty and Beau's". What makes this shop unique is their hiring practices - they target those who might qualify for the Special Olympics. While I will try to not take any jabs at the 'tards cause they can't help that I will say that by choosing Waco they picked a prime location for their establishment. 

And maybe it's just me but it seems like a high percentage of the Downsy chicks have big knockers. 

• Haha 1

spacer.png

On 1/20/2021 at 6:15 PM, El Diablo said:

Saw a blurb about a new coffee shop to open later this year, "Bitty and Beau's". What makes this shop unique is their hiring practices - they target those who might qualify for the Special Olympics. While I will try to not take any jabs at the 'tards cause they can't help that I will say that by choosing Waco they picked a prime location for their establishment. 

And maybe it's just me but it seems like a high percentage of the Downsy chicks have big knockers. 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

gotdammit...

• 3 weeks later...

Taking the little man to see his cousins (no pics) tomorrow.  Haven't been there in awhile so besides my normal "go to" of Viteks (I will forever be in love with the gut pack), what would you all recommend?  BBQ is always welcome. 

Edit, the Guess and Helberg looks pretty good...is that the spot?

Edited by Atxracer

36 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Taking the little man to see his cousins (no pics) tomorrow.  Haven't been there in awhile so besides my normal "go to" of Viteks (I will forever be in love with the gut pack), what would you all recommend?  BBQ is always welcome. 

Edit, the Guess and Helberg looks pretty good...is that the spot?

Yes.  Guess or Helberg are both top notch.  Honkey Tonk Kid is pretty damn good too.  

If not BBQ, what else tickles your fancy?  

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Oh man.  My wife said she heard that Alpha Omega closed.  I'm so glad that she was out of her damned mind. .  I love that place.  I usually get a gyro but that looks fantastic. 

I'm a big fan of their gyros (pork off the spit) too, but the chicken souvlaki has been killing it lately. I used to be a Xristo's dude and the wife was a D's girl (heh), but we seem to end up at Alpha Omega every time now.

Edited by SimonBolivar

13 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm a big fan of their gyros (pork off the spit) too, but the chicken souvlaki has been killing it lately. I used to be a Xristo's dude and the wife was a D's girl (heh), but we seem to end up at Alpha Omega every time now.

From the "learn something new every day" category.  I'd always thought gyros were mostly lamb; turns out pork is the preferred Greek go-to meat (according to wiki)

@Trey3216 and @SimonBolivar would know better than me, but our kids like 900 degrees pizza off University Parks.  They've got beer, pretty good pizza and a small patio.  It's a make your own style pizza kind of like Jersey Mikes where you can add what you want to it. Ice cream is close too. 

Then you can walk across to Indian Springs Park if you're so inclined, though they doing construction on the suspension bridge.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1

Obviously recommend Alpha Omega as I did earlier. 

Classic Waco Choices:

George's (it's food and beer)

Poppa Rollos (love or hate pizza, but kids would love it. Valley Mills Dr location only no outside seating)

Better Food Choices:

Alpha Omega 

Moreoso (not sure on kids liking it, but best pizza in town and no outside seating)

Shorty's Pizza (maybe too Baylory for you)

Slo Rise (no atmosphere, but solid food)

With kids and a one off visit I'd probably choose Poppa Rollos or Union Hall (new food hall with all the choices you could want)

https://unionhallwaco.com/vendors/

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Just heard that Mitch Davis, owner of The Corner Stop (place that serves the fried ribs) passed away saturday.  

Damnit.  Need to get back there.

Mitch seemed to be a good man.

He'll be missed. Only 64.  Gone too soon.

• Like 1