Betty White - RIP

shnsajax

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

She had absolutely amazing comedic timing and delivery in Golden Girls. 

Im happy she got a second and third act. RIP.

Maybe God (or whatever) wanted a live action revival of Golden Girls and got tired of waiting. What a fucking life 

• Hook 'Em 1

she may be one of last people to pass who appeared on any type of television in the US prior to WW2, which was extremely limited to a handful of attempts in Philadelphia (Farnsworth), NY (RCA/Zworykin), and apparently LA, which I was unaware of until just now finding a JSTOR article linked from white's wiki

• Hook 'Em 2

I saw that Tweet from Martin this morning and I immediately feared the worst. But as the day went by and nothing else was reported I thought maybe he was just sending out a tweet reminding us of what an amazing person Betty was.

Damn. I really wanted her to make it to 100. She was such a talented comic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So…..I think my daughter killed Betty. We were eating bbq at Blacks after a trip to the gun range, and the conversation turned to the queen, and the boy said she was gonna live forever. Daughter said “not true, she’ll kick it before Betty White does.”

10 minutes later, the boy’s phone buzzed with the news that Betty had died.

Sorry, guys. My daughter feels terrible, FWIW.

• Rage+1 4

Betty White always reminded me of my own grandmother.  They looked very similar, younger and older, and were very similar in personality and wit.  Her death  is like losing my grandmother all over again.

NY Mag has a obituary. 

White was known as The First Lady of Television (the title of a documentary about her career) not just because of her easygoing authority and stealthy influence but because she was the first woman to do all sorts of things in a medium where men held most of the power. An actor, singer, dancer, talk and game show host, and producer whose costars ranged from Eddie Albert to Ryan Reynolds, White was a big name on TV in the 1940s, ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, aughts, and beyond. She won five Emmys for her performances and was nominated for 16 more, most recently in 2011, for Hot in Cleveland. She was television when television as we knew it was lights and vacuum tubes in a box. She was television when the box turned into a flat panel and became high-def. She was television when television became one of a zillion things we could watch on little combination  pocket computer-phones. Betty White was analog and digital, black-and-white and 8K OLED, Truman and Biden.

https://www.vulture.com/article/betty-white-obituary-legacy-tv-history.html?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=social_acct&utm_campaign=nym&utm_content=nym&utm_term=curalate_like2buy_K7xsY9mK__310f8747-6987-4a78-9eff-6d16f486ebf0

• Hook 'Em 1