The Climate thread

Laxtonto

• 5 weeks later...

for those who pretend to worry about bird deaths:

According to a study conducted at a wind farm on the Norwegian archipelago of Smøla, changing the color of a single blade on a turbine from white to black resulted in a 70-percent drop in the number of bird deaths.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/black-paint-on-wind-turbines-helps-prevent-bird-massacres/

no word on cancer rates

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/black-paint-on-wind-turbines-helps-prevent-bird-massacres/

no word on cancer rates

Didn't change cancer rates at all.  Total failure!  Might as well not bother repainting other turbines.  Waste of money.  #WindThemDown

According to a study conducted at a wind farm on the Norwegian archipelago of Smøla, changing the color of a single blade on a turbine from white to black resulted in a 70-percent drop in the number of bird deaths.

no word on cancer rates
I'm 2 species shy of 400, so I care. Not climate related, but we could also turn off lights at night, especially in the spring and fall, keep cats inside and make slight changes to windows to make them more visible to birds. But why make any changes when we could keep doing the same shit and continue to wipe species off the globe?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/cftc-report-climate-change-gop-pro-business-trump.html

"Climate change is making the world unsafe for capitalism. In the face of the “frequent and devastating shocks” wrought by unabated warming, the “fundamental conditions supporting our financial system” could prove impossible to sustain.

This analysis does not come courtesy of Greenpeace, the Sunrise Movement, or some eggheads at the United Nations. Rather, it is a rough summary of a report commissioned by the (Trump-appointed) Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) — and written by analysts from Morgan Stanley, S&P Global, Vanguard, BP, ConocoPhillips, and Cargill — in collaboration with academics and environmentalists. (Some of those firms issued statements stipulating that they don’t necessarily endorse the report’s every particular, only its broad strokes.)

Released Wednesday morning, the report echoes the conventional wisdom among financial observers in less climate-science-averse corners of Western capitalism. Five years ago, Mark Carney, then governor of the Bank of England, warned that the planet’s warming presented three systemic risks to the global financial system: that catastrophic losses would tank the (heavily financialized) insurance industry and take financial markets down with it; that liability lawsuits from victims of climate change could suddenly erase the value of dirty-energy firms; and that failure to orchestrate a steady transition to renewables would result in a sudden and belated abandonment of trillions of dollars’ worth of fossil-fuel assets."

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey more lies from the devil:

Last summer, oil and gas-industry groups were lobbying to overturn federal rules on leaks of natural gas, a major contributor to climate change. Their message: The companies had emissions under control.

In private, the lobbyists were saying something very different.

I really like this part where these guys acknowledge they can't make a private profit without the ability to dump their waste in public for free:

The pushback against more stringent methane rules has been led by smaller, independent producers who argued the rules were unfairly burdensome for smaller drillers, because they could not afford to invest in costly leak-detection and capture technology.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/climate/methane-natural-gas-flaring.html

Edited by elfenix

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

The pushback against more stringent methane rules has been led by smaller, independent producers who argued the rules were unfairly burdensome for smaller drillers, because they could not afford to invest in costly leak-detection and capture technology.

Aren't these people supposed to be all about the free market?  If they can't compete, sorry guys.  Pack it up.

antarctica is falling into the ocean:

Two Antarctic glaciers that have long kept scientists awake at night are breaking free from the restraints that have hemmed them in, increasing the threat of large-scale sea-level rise.

Located along the coast of the Amundsen Sea in West Antarctica, the enormous Pine Island and Thwaites glaciers already contribute around 5 percent of global sea-level rise. The survival of Thwaites has been deemed so critical that the United States and Britain have launched a targeted multimillion-dollar research mission to the glacier. The loss of the glacier could trigger the broader collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet, which contains enough ice to eventually raise seas by about 10 feet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/09/14/glaciers-breaking-antarctica-pine-island-thwaites/

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This seems bad.  Is this bad?

Only if you live in Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, anywhere in Florida (eh), New York City, LA, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, DC, Boston, Baltimore, Atlantic City, San Francisco, Anchorage; or have friends or family who live there; or work for companies or industries who have major investments in coastal areas; or live anywhere that people who live in those areas may have to relocate to.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll be fine.

The abstract of the paper the article cites:

Theory has suggested that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet may be inherently unstable. Recent observations lend weight to this hypothesis. We reassess the potential contribution to eustatic and regional sea level from a rapid collapse of the ice sheet and find that previous assessments have substantially overestimated its likely primary contribution. We obtain a value for the global, eustatic sea-level rise contribution of about 3.3 meters, with important regional variations. The maximum increase is concentrated along the Pacific and Atlantic seaboard of the United States, where the value is about 25% greater than the global mean, even for the case of a partial collapse.

So actually about 12-13 feet along the US Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. 

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The maximum increase is concentrated along the Pacific and Atlantic seaboard of the United States, where the value is about 25% greater than the global mean, even for the case of a partial collapse.

So actually about 12-13 feet along the US Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. 

Seems like we kinda deserve it at this point.

29 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Well there goes a big chunk of the Greenland Ice Shelf. 

We're going to have to break this one back out to make sure the climate change deniers understand why this is kinda a big deal, aren't we?  

By the way, (1) the whole segment above is spectacular so it's worth watching from the beginning and (2) fuck Steve Stockman and whoever appointed him to the House Committee on Science ...

Edited by Gap03
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

We're going to have to break this one back out to make sure the climate change deniers understand why this is kinda a big deal, aren't we?  

By the way, (1) the whole segment above is spectacular so it's worth watching from the beginning and (2) fuck Steve Stockman and whoever appointed him to the House Committee on Science ...

I had forgotten about that segment and yes, it was great.  At the very end he said something that has fully taken over in the present day. 

"So from now on, why not agree that science and the oil industry both have opinions?"

This is EXACTLY what Fox News, et al have done.  This is how they created an alternate reality.  They turned their bullshit, disingenuous, gaslighting fucking LIES into "just a different opinion on the subject".  Fuck all of them to hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:07 AM, elfenix said:

the oil industry knows about the damage its products do, have for decades, and have spent the entire time lying to consumers about it?

ColorlessComfortableBagworm-size_restric

(seems appropriate to pimp the drilled podcast for more history of the devil convincing the world that he doesn't exist)

yep

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

"The Green Dream, or whatever they call it." --Nancy Pelosi.

May I ask who Patagonia suggests I vote in? 

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

"The Green Dream, or whatever they call it." --Nancy Pelosi.

May I ask who Patagonia suggests I vote in? 

Just don't vote dotard back in.  That's the most control we have right now.  Pelosi can eat a dick, but she's what we've got to work with for the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

Which candidate would be more likely in your mind to pursue climate change related policy if favored by a majority of Americans?

Its a false choice.  The answer, Dirk, is neither candidate will render any positive meaningful change when it comes to climate policy.  You 'liked' the tweet about the fossil fuel execs.  Now go read the links on those execs and Mr. Biden.   Then we can get into the DNC and its makeup.  Pelosi and company doing their best to stifle anything remotely good such as the Green New Deal.  On and on.

Beyond that note, its gets bemusing to see so many folks in this day and age, with an electoral college, gerrymandering, and outright fraud boil everything down to "just vote!"

I'm starving! Vote!

My brother got shot by a cop! Vote! (maybe we'll just shoot them in the leg next time)

I can't afford my medicine to live!  Vote!

And now I have Patagucci telling me to just vote the assholes out!  Sure thing, but like I said, who do I vote in that actually implements meaningful change? 

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Its a false choice.  The answer, Dirk, is neither candidate will render any positive meaningful change when it comes to climate policy.  You 'liked' the tweet about the fossil fuel execs.  Now go read the links on those execs and Mr. Biden.   Then we can get into the DNC and its makeup.  Pelosi and company doing their best to stifle anything remotely good such as the Green New Deal.  On and on.

Beyond that note, its gets bemusing to see so many folks in this day and age, with an electoral college, gerrymandering, and outright fraud boil everything down to "just vote!"

I'm starving! Vote!

My brother got shot by a cop! Vote! (maybe we'll just shoot them in the leg next time)

And now I have Patagucci telling me to just vote the assholes out!  Sure thing, but like I said, who do I vote in that actually implements meaningful change? 

I'm well aware of the Dems' shitty record on climate change.   Anyone who pays a bit of attention to this stuff knows that.

I voted for Bernie in the primaries.  I'm a member of the DSA.

We need to elect Biden and then fight him and protest and put every possible form of pressure on him just as we have on trump, but all the same, more trump will be worse than even status quo Biden.  It will.

Edited by Dirk X West

16 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm well aware of the Dems' shitty record on climate change.   Anyone who pays a bit of attention to this stuff knows that.

We need to elect Biden and then fight him and protest and put every possible form of pressure on him just as we have on trump, but all the same, more trump will be worse than even status quo Biden.  It will.

Exactly. Right now, in 2020, this is what we have to work with. A good chunk of the left that is already in Congress is young and demanding change in a very loud way and people are listening. Biden is already running further left than any nominee ever. 

It may be all over already anyway, but if Dotard wins, him and the right will not just do nothing, they actively and purposely make it worse. 

On 9/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, elfenix said:

no word on cancer rates

Well, obviously the black ones would be far more cancerous than the white ones.

38 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Its always the lesser of two evils, isn't it?  Funny how that works out for us.

And the entire 'after we get rid of the bad man in a landslide then we'll get Biden to do what we want' is laughable.

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

And the entire 'after we get rid of the bad man in a landslide then we'll get Biden to do what we want' is laughable.

I don't think you understood the comment you were replying to.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Somebody's been binging Chris Hedges on YouTube.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm starving! Vote!

Climate change is not affecting the Death Spiral it appears. 

Sure I get it. I do however think you are voting for inaction versus bad action. I realise that's a shit sandwich but it is what it is, is

Can we channel the rising tides into DC somehow?

• Hook 'Em 1