The Climate thread

Laxtonto

43 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Let me guess, they want federal money to build seawalls and such. Or federal buyouts. In addition to their already federally subsidized flood and hurricane insurance.

That is correct. Mayor of that town wants government to build more sea walls 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Let me guess:

Guess again.

It’s a three part series. There’s no fourth part scheduled or even produced as far as I know.

I don’t know what your point is. But the whole angle of, “OK, its happening but there is nothing we can do about it” is part of the campaign waged by the deniers. Are you a denier?

The thing is that the message from science is consistent. They’re scientists. Greenhouse gasses are a thing, they have physical properties, we’re dumping huge amounts of them into our atmosphere, and we’re seeing the (predicted) effects.

The message from the denial side is basically coming from a bunch of lawyers trying to cast doubt on the science. There’s no consistent message because they don’t have science on their side. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. They try to confuse and obfuscate, trying to create doubt...

It’s not getting warmer. It’s getting warmer but human activities aren’t causing it. Human activities are causing it but it’s not a big deal. We’ll learn to manage it. God wants us to use fossil fuels and He would never let us harm ourselves as a result. And they’ll also last forever because that’s what God intended. It’s all a Chinese hoax. (Easily the dumbest argument made by the dumbest man.)

I’m guessing we might hear names of popular deniers tonight like Lindzen, Singer, Spencer, Curry, Christy, Soon and Baliunas. There are thousands of scientists in dozens of countries around the world contributing to our knowledge about how our use of fossil fuels are causing an increase in global mean temperatures and how that’s affecting our climate. We’re seeing the effects played out in front of our eyes. There’s a relatively small number of deniers, all on the payroll of the fossil fuel industry, and every time anyone tries to argue against the scientific consensus, their names are sure to come up.

If you have a clear head and open your eyes then it’s really easy to see the game that’s being played. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Guess again.

It’s a three part series. There’s no fourth part scheduled or even produced as far as I know.

I don’t know what your point is. But the whole angle of, “OK, its happening but there is nothing we can do about it” is part of the campaign waged by the deniers. Are you a denier?

The thing is that the message from science is consistent. They’re scientists. Greenhouse gasses are a thing, they have physical properties, we’re dumping huge amounts of them into our atmosphere, and we’re seeing the (predicted) effects.

The message from the denial side is basically coming from a bunch of lawyers trying to cast doubt on the science. There’s no consistent message because they don’t have science on their side. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. They try to confuse and obfuscate, trying to create doubt...

It’s not getting warmer. It’s getting warmer but human activities aren’t causing it. Human activities are causing it but it’s not a big deal. We’ll learn to manage it. God wants us to use fossil fuels and He would never let us harm ourselves as a result. And they’ll also last forever because that’s what God intended. It’s all a Chinese hoax. (Easily the dumbest argument made by the dumbest man.)

I’m guessing we might hear names of popular deniers tonight like Lindzen, Singer, Spencer, Curry, Christy, Soon and Baliunas. There are thousands of scientists in dozens of countries around the world contributing to our knowledge about how our use of fossil fuels are causing an increase in global mean temperatures and how that’s affecting our climate. We’re seeing the effects played out in front of our eyes. There’s a relatively small number of deniers, all on the payroll of the fossil fuel industry, and every time anyone tries to argue against the scientific consensus, their names are sure to come up.

If you have a clear head and open your eyes then it’s really easy to see the game that’s being played. 

Probably should have your meter checked. 

58 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not seeing it. Two “Let me guess” posts in a row suggests otherwise. What part of, “OK, its happening but there is nothing we can do about it” did I misread?

If you're this confused, then your meter is fucked. I recommend full replacement. It was pretty obviously satire, poking fun at big oil's bullshit.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not seeing it. Two “Let me guess” posts in a row suggests otherwise. What part of, “OK, its happening but there is nothing we can do about it” did I misread?

Respectfully WhatTheBuck, but you’re awfully ornery about the smallest little things sometimes… and your meter needs a tune up!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Respectfully WhatTheBuck, but you’re awfully ornery about the smallest little things sometimes… and your meter needs a tune up!

Have you seen the moronic shit that gets posted on this site by people who are totally serious about the nonsense they believe? You’ve got to give some clues when you’re imitating them just to be sarcastic. Throw in a winky emoticon or something. Or be even more obviously outrageous in what you’re saying. Don’t talk like a totally plausible nut job or the casual observer might miss the point.

Oh yeah, I’ll edit this to add:  :D

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

Magic

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2022/05/01/california-100-percent-powered-renewables-first-time/9609975002/

Renewable electricity provided just shy of 100% of California's electricity demand on Saturday, a record-breaker, officials said, much of it from large amounts of solar power now produced along Interstate 10, an hour east of the Coachella Valley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We're doing very well on that front in Texas, too.  There have been times here recently when a huge percentage of our electric power was produced by renewables.

At the bottom of the stairwell leading to deck five, an alien lies upturned on green nonslip flooring. If you get close enough, you can see one of its six legs twitching and one of its translucent wings crushed to pieces. Unlike the throng of Antarctic expeditioners aboard the RSV Nuyina, Australia's newest icebreaking ship, it hasn't cleared customs. 

https://www.cnet.com/science/climate/features/the-alien-invasion-of-antarctica-is-only-just-beginning/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Me?

yes you.  50 years after the first arab oil embargo and you continue to want us addicted to that sweet saudi gold and to continue to leave that lever in their hands.  oh, you'll claim you're not and you want domestic production blah blah.  of course you never address how that actually gets the lever out of their hands.  and you won't, because it doesn't.  there's no law saying what's drilled here needs to be used here, and there never will be.  globally traded commodity etc.  so, the lever remains firmly in saudi hands and they will use it to punish us for trying to leave them.  causing shortages and inflation. 

the people who whine about how much it will cost to make the transition away from saudi arabia's bullshit never address the cost of not doing so. 

Edited by elfenix

I’m glad she thinks it’s worth it. Energy shortages and inflation are nothing to sneeze at. 

It would be worth it if it was going to have a transformational outcome. The only reason I disagree is that bc I doubt it will.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

says man cheerleading yet another arab oil embargo which is causing energy shortages and inflation. 

Who is also the same asshole who wants to let Bitcoin miners use half our state’s fucking electricity.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

yes you.  50 years after the first arab oil embargo and you continue to want us addicted to that sweet saudi gold and to continue to leave that lever in their hands.  oh, you'll claim you're not and you want domestic production blah blah.  of course you never address how that actually gets the lever out of their hands.  and you won't, because it doesn't.  there's no law saying what's drilled here needs to be used here, and there never will be.  globally traded commodity etc.  so, the lever remains firmly in saudi hands and they will use it to punish us for trying to leave them.  causing shortages and inflation. 

the people who whine about how much it will cost to make the transition away from saudi arabia's bullshit never address the cost of not doing so. 

Of course we should produce more. Whatever can help give us more of the lever is fine by me. 

As for as the energy transition goes, the thriving and advancement of our species is based on the utilization of an increasing amount of energy. Fossil fuels just happen to be reliable, cheap and energy dense. Willfully transitioning away from that has major consequences. At least this lady owns it.

Less reliable grids. Energy shortages. Inflation. The last two are huge factors playing into a looming global famine. No big deal. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

It would be worth it if it was going to have a transformational outcome. The only reason I disagree is that bc I doubt it will.

What do you mean?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Of course we should produce more. Whatever can help give us more of the lever is fine by me. 

As for as the energy transition goes, the thriving and advancement of our species is based on the utilization of an increasing amount of energy. Fossil fuels just happen to be reliable, cheap and energy dense. Willfully transitioning away from that has major consequences. At least this lady owns it.

Less reliable grids. Energy shortages. Inflation. The last two are huge factors playing into a looming global famine. No big deal. 

What do you mean?

We can willfully transition away from it in a reasonable fashion. You haven’t explicitly made the argument that it is going to happen overnight, so I won’t tag you with that, but based on your posting history, I would guess that you aren’t interested in any kind of meaningful transition in your lifetime. Please let me know if that’s wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We can willfully transition away from it in a reasonable fashion. You haven’t explicitly made the argument that it is going to happen overnight, so I won’t tag you with that, but based on your posting history, I would guess that you aren’t interested in any kind of meaningful transition in your lifetime. Please let me know if that’s wrong. 

It’s on the planners of this transition to show it can be done in a reasonable fashion. We aren’t off to a good start. 

Im good with trying to decrease pollution generally and CO2 emissions where possible, but we will always need fossil fuels. Natural gas for fertilizer, also manufacturing needs.

I’m not ok with our civilization taking steps back as far as energy security or personal freedom in the process. I think a significant portion of this movement is about increasing control over people. Here’s another timely clip from the ongoing WEF meeting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

17 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

It’s on the planners of this transition to show it can be done in a reasonable fashion. We aren’t off to a good start. 

Im good with trying to decrease pollution generally and CO2 emissions where possible, but we will always need fossil fuels. Natural gas for fertilizer, also manufacturing needs.

I’m not ok with our civilization taking steps back as far as energy security or personal freedom in the process. I think a significant portion of this movement is about increasing control over people. Here’s another timely clip from the ongoing WEF meeting. 

I agree with a lot of that, but the bolded is where you lose me.  It just seems like a scare tactic to me.  Who wants control over people?  To what end?  It just seems like a boogeyman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I agree with a lot of that, but the bolded is where you lose me.  It just seems like a scare tactic to me.  Who wants control over people?  To what end?  It just seems like a boogeyman.

it is.  the paranoid saw covid as a test for it and somehow think that was a flying success for the oligarchs. 

meanwhile this guy has come out with an app which will allow the oligarchs to continue to make loud noises about pollution being an individual problem needing individual action.  which is the same shit they've been telling us since they decided to switch from reusable or no packaging to selling us multiple pieces of trash with the thing we actually want back in the 60s and 70s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

What do you mean?

Are you not at all concerned about rising temperatures and more unpredictable weather patterns decreasing arable land and sea level rise displacing tens of millions of people? It seems like those could possibly be factors leading to global famine. 

And when it comes to freedom, what kind of freedom do the largely poor people who will become climate refugees have when they are forced to abandon their homes, despite not being significant contributors to the problem? Kind of seems like we are robbing them of their freedom, seeing as we, the US, are responsible for more emissions all-time than any other country, much of it well after we knew of the consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Thought this was pretty cool, if it hasn't been posted before.  Real time Austin energy sources.  Renewable vs non-renewable.  Half coming from renewable right now.  I wish more cities would do this.  Maybe they do, I don't know.

https://austinenergy.com/ae/about/environment/renewable-power-generation

That's cool. The description of the biomass plant however is questionable. Burning wood isn't carbon neutral. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

That's cool. The description of the biomass plant however is questionable. Burning wood isn't carbon neutral. 

True, but it is renewable at least, which is what they specify.

Edited by Biff Tannen
and it's not necessarily just wood. probably hemp as well as some other stuff

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

True, but it is renewable at least, which is what they specify.

Yeah, I was specifically referring to this part:

"In Sacul, Texas, about 10 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, the largest biomass plant in the country can produce 105 MW of renewable energy for the Austin area. The plant creates carbon-neutral electricity by burning wood waste that otherwise would decompose and emit carbon compounds contributing to climate change."

That's some mush-mouth bullshit right there unless they are combining with some form of carbon capture that isn't specified.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I was specifically referring to this part:

"In Sacul, Texas, about 10 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, the largest biomass plant in the country can produce 105 MW of renewable energy for the Austin area. The plant creates carbon-neutral electricity by burning wood waste that otherwise would decompose and emit carbon compounds contributing to climate change."

That's some mush-mouth bullshit right there unless they are combining with some form of carbon capture that isn't specified.  

Ah, fair.

On 5/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, elfenix said:

I guess we’ll just move the lever somewhere else. 

• Fuck You 3

On 5/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, elfenix said:

this is called stepping on your own dick.

If you could sum up the energy transition in one sentence, that would be it. 

Chaser 

Oh and this is something I hadn’t considered a possibility. 

Globally, the number of electric vehicles is expected to swell from 7 million to 400 million by 2040. The transition to zero-emission cars is estimated to add 2,000 TWh to annual energy demand by 2050 — a 40% increase — according to a study by global advisory group ICF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

32 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Globally, the number of electric vehicles is expected to swell from 7 million to 400 million by 2040. The transition to zero-emission cars is estimated to add 2,000 TWh to annual energy demand by 2050 — a 40% increase — according to a study by global advisory group ICF.

Cool, now do the same for crypto mining that has seen a 65% increase in energy consumption over just the last year.  Extrapolate that shit out to 2050 and see where you get.  And that's just for bitcoin, not to mention all the other scams.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

If you could sum up the energy transition in one sentence, that would be it. 

Chaser 

Oh and this is something I hadn’t considered a possibility. 

Yes, that is why anyone with a functioning brain, which I would venture to guess is most EV buyers, should be charging overnight in low demand hours. 

I love how IV doesn't even read the shit he posts.  A great example is the first twitter piece about grid risk.  SEVEN segments of the grid are noted to be at risk, only ONE is because of early-retired generation.  The rest is.....shit like climate change (increased temps) and surging demand due to growth.

THEN, to make it better, he screams and sounds the alarm about EVs, as he simultaneously relentlessly pitches the fastest growing energy-suck in modern history, "crypto mining."  

When your trolling becomes indistinguishable from satire, you should probably quit.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...