Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

23 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

If I walk into a garden and see a guy pulling weeds that are everywhere and blame the gardener for a shitty garden without recognizing they are coming from senile guy on the bench throwing crappy birdseed all over the place, that failure is on me.  

But instead we get prices high = Biden's fault.

Yeah except what if the gardener pulling weeds at first keeps telling everybody there’s not really any weeds? Then he changes and tells people the weed problem is only transitory and not that bad, but then the weeds keep getting worse. When eventually there’s weeds everywhere and he starts blaming the guy on the bench, people don’t buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

37 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

interdasting.

Care to explain why they didn't do that in 17 when the orange anti-christ and moscow mitch were in control?

Uh, for starters, they did for Gorsuch. That right there shows they're willing to do it for the things they really want. Legislatively, what did they need to kill it for? The fucking wall? You actually think Mitch McConnell and every member of the Republican Senate caucus want a border wall? They don't, because it's a monumentally stupid idea that accomplishes nothing. Its value to them is as a consequence-free vote of support Trump and to rile up the merry band of morons by pointing to a Democratic filibuster.

McConnell and Senate Republicans didn't kill the filibuster because they got their redistribution of wealth through, which didn't require doing so. They don't have a policy platform beyond that. Even simply repealing the ACA with no replacement failed, not because of Democratic opposition, but because they couldn't even hit 50 votes due to defectors within their own party. There was nothing to kill it for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I still think Biden is too old to be president.  No one over 70 should be president.  That said, I think he’s been great so far.  His cabinet is great outside of Kamala, whose primary failing has been political miscalcs, but Blinken has been money and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from the other departments.

One thing Biden has done more than any president that I can recall (which only goes back to the 90s) is address the issues people are dinging him for.  He has publicly acknowledged the issues with inflation, gas prices, and fears about Russia and taken direct actions to address them.  We largely haven’t seen the results of those actions yet, as shit takes time, but the contrast between how this president addresses concerns vs the previous president is stark.

I expect the issues hurting Bidens approval rating to largely be resolved by the next presidential election, although of course new shit can come up.  The current issues will mostly hurt the Dems in mid-terms, which will result in even more gridlock, which I think could be a good thing.

Again, Biden is too old, and I wish there had been a better option in 2020 and I hope there’s a better option in 2024.  But comparing his performance as president to the last guy…there is no comparison.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

The frustrating part is that anyone with an attention span longer than a squirrel can tell the seeds of this inflation were planted in the previous administration.

• Oil prices were kept artificially low to starve out competition and consolidate power. The natural result is less competition.
  • COVID shut down almost the whole world with disruptions in supply chains, reallocation of the workforce and the costs incurred to keep things going.
  • Increasing the money supply and printing checks because of COVID driving demand in spite of the supply chain problems
  • The economy is reopening and the historically low demand for things like gas is going up. Corporations are reaping the profits of the high demand/low supply they created.
  • Add these all up and Boom, inflation. 

TFG would have been dealing with it too.  nothing he would do would "force" the O&G companies to release more.  Only thing might have slowed it is that the sanctions on Russia probably would not have materialized.

If I walk into a garden and see a guy pulling weeds that are everywhere and blame the gardener for a shitty garden without recognizing they are coming from senile guy on the bench throwing crappy birdseed all over the place, that failure is on me.  

But instead we get prices high = Biden's fault.

I am not going to sit here and say Biden's share of the blame is limited at most and then try to put it at Trump's feet either. At the end of the day I don't think the POTUS or the US Government as a whole hold a ton of responsibility for a global phenomenon.

I disagree that COVID stimulus and extended unemployment fueled inflation. If it did, it would have indeed been transitory. There wasn't enough money distributed through those means to sustain what we're experiencing now. Your point about oil production is fair, but this is predominantly a COVID-induced supply chain and labor force problem where effects can take some time to manifest; and it's been compounded by geopolitical issues like the war.

• Hook 'Em 4

The thing that drives me batty about the people complaining that Biden caused inflation by "printing money" completely ignore that the majority of stimulus checks and PPP loans were doled out during the Trump administration.
And I'm not blaming Trump necessarily, so much as I'm pointing out that he "printed money" as much as anyone and the loudest critics of this policy conveniently forget it.

Aggy is as aggy does

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The thing that drives me batty about the people complaining that Biden caused inflation by "printing money" completely ignore that the majority of stimulus checks and PPP loans were doled out during the Trump administration.

And I'm not blaming Trump necessarily, so much as I'm pointing out that he "printed money" as much as anyone and the loudest critics of this policy conveniently forget it.

Not to mention the FED printing trillions to artificially keep the stock market from completely crashing in early 2020. Everyone knew that someone was eventually going to have to pay the piper.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

The current issues will mostly hurt the Dems in mid-terms, which will result in even more gridlock, which I think could be a good thing.

Agree with everything you said except this.  Rs controlling the House and/or Senate is a recipe for disaster in 2024 because their entire plan is to invalidate the election.  This will allow them to do so.  And shit will hit the fan.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Not to mention the FED printing trillions to artificially keep the stock market from completely crashing in early 2020. Everyone knew that someone was eventually going to have to pay the piper.

This is false. There were plenty of people denying that any piper would have to be paid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

This is false. There were plenty of people denying that any piper would have to be paid. 

Yes, there are lots of idiots of all varieties--or people who understand the market even less than I do--including I'm sure some Democratic politicians who made promises that I'm guessing that you have lined up ready to link. But anyone with even a baseline understanding of the FED's brrrrrrrrr machine knew that we were just trading one kind of pain for a different one at some point in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with all this and the prior post.  But the COVID benefits stayed in place too long. Everything should have been cut back to normal once a vax was in place and employers were desperate for employees.  And whether it actually had much of an aggregate impact or not, it's a bad look in the face of rising inflation.  As a landlord that had to deal with shit tenants completely taking advantage of the system in a > $600K house, I've got personal rage on that aspect of free money poured into the system to bail out the lazy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I still think Biden is too old to be president.  No one over 70 should be president.  That said, I think he’s been great so far.  His cabinet is great outside of Kamala, whose primary failing has been political miscalcs, but Blinken has been money and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from the other departments.

One thing Biden has done more than any president that I can recall (which only goes back to the 90s) is address the issues people are dinging him for.  He has publicly acknowledged the issues with inflation, gas prices, and fears about Russia and taken direct actions to address them.  We largely haven’t seen the results of those actions yet, as shit takes time, but the contrast between how this president addresses concerns vs the previous president is stark.

I expect the issues hurting Bidens approval rating to largely be resolved by the next presidential election, although of course new shit can come up.  The current issues will mostly hurt the Dems in mid-terms, which will result in even more gridlock, which I think could be a good thing.

Again, Biden is too old, and I wish there had been a better option in 2020 and I hope there’s a better option in 2024.  But comparing his performance as president to the last guy…there is no comparison.

It may be the people in my circle, but I’m not seeing a de-energized voting bloc among Democrats. 

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It may be the people in my circle, but I’m not seeing a de-energized voting bloc among Democrats. 

I’ve been so wrong about election outcome predictions over the last 6 years that it is wise to assume I’m wrong on that front.  I do think there’s increasing “Trump fatigue”, which would result increased turnout for anti-Trump moderates and decrease turnout for Trumpers, which should help moderate Dems running against Trumper candidates.  But I think inflation will offset that and really hurt progressive Dems no matter who they’re running against.  So the balance of congress will hinge on the kinds of candidates that won primaries for contested seats.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I agree with that guy. Hell, I even look like that guy.

He names the proper culprits, their sinister strategy, and the dull-minded media who either don't understand the news they report or are afraid their viewers can't understand the story.

He's so right about the media in the form of the major cable news networks. They don't want to face the paradigm shift that this guy perfectly explains. They want to cover the same stories the same way:

Breaking News: Inflation soars.

Breaking Analysis: How much will this hurt Joe Biden? Let's look at the popularity polls. Let's predict election impact. Let's not go deeper than car paint to actually explore actual news.

It's lazy, dumb, and dangerous for the republic. It's also hard bound, bogged down, and largely unchangeable. Talking about the fate of the republic is just too dangerous to ratings and reputations. Civic discourse only seems to happen on these impotent message boards.

At least I'm doing my feckless best.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nope, if anything those that I know that jumped the R ship are even more motivated to vote against that party

Demographically the voting bloc the two of you are describing is educated white voters. Which is great and all, as it's a bloc that's relatively disproportionately represented in the electorate because of turnout rates, but it's still only a small slice of the overall electorate. Losing casual working/middle class voters over inflation is still a net negative in the electoral calculator. That's where bad Democratic messaging comes in.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree with everything you said except this.  Rs controlling the House and/or Senate is a recipe for disaster in 2024 because their entire plan is to invalidate the election.  This will allow them to do so.  And shit will hit the fan.

For this exact reason I almost hope the Republican candidate legitimately wins the Presidency in '24.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He's so right about the media in the form of the major cable news networks. They don't want to face the paradigm shift that this guy perfectly explains. They want to cover the same stories the same way:

I don't know about national media but this is definitely being covered in local media in Dallas.  I've seen it on every local newscast the last few days.  Was raging to my wife about Abbot's bullshit during news over lunch today.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I agree with that guy. Hell, I even look like that guy.

He names the proper culprits, their sinister strategy, and the dull-minded media who either don't understand the news they report or are afraid their viewers can't understand the story.

Breaking News: Inflation soars.

Breaking Analysis: How much will this hurt Joe Biden? Let's look at the popularity polls. Let's predict election impact. Let's not go deeper than car paint to actually explore actual news.

It's lazy, dumb, and dangerous for the republic. It's also hard bound, bogged down, and largely unchangeable. Talking about the fate of the republic is just too dangerous to ratings and reputations. Civic discourse only seems to happen on these impotent message boards.

At least I'm doing my feckless best.

All Democrats need to do to win in November is buy this and run it on repeat on every tv channel. Of course, they won't do that.

13 minutes ago, Satchel said:

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nope, if anything those that I know that jumped the R ship are even more motivated to vote against that party

i'm sure we will be posting these hopeful thoughts up to and including "if we only get 700% turnout in every precinct yet to be counted, we can still win!"

knew that we were just trading one kind of pain for a different one at some point in the future.

It's how we roll. The future? That's for losers.

spacer.png

ABC NEWS

Later on Monday, conservative activists tried to dismiss Thunberg as naive and invoked her Asperger's syndrome, which Thunberg has described as a "superpower."

Michael Knowles of the conservative news site the Daily Wire, attacked Thunberg on Fox News, labeling her has a “mentally ill Swedish child.”

"The climate hysteria movement is not about science," Knowles said. "If it were about science, it would be led by scientists, rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left."

Thank goodness we're further crippling public education so we can keep up an adequate supply of idiots too stupid to see the damage they cause by believing FOX and the GЯP.

I.W.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't know about national media but this is definitely being covered in local media in Dallas.  I've seen it on every local newscast the last few days.  Was raging to my wife about Abbot's bullshit during news over lunch today.

I'll add.  That with Abbot's idiotic theatre sending immigrants to DC, it's an absolutely perfect time for Biden, in response to a question on this, say "Greg Abbot's wrong, I am paying attention to the border, I'm paying attention to the hundreds of trucks backed up dozens of miles at the border based on Abbot's policy to inspect every vehicle resulting in increased inflation and limited produce throughout Texas that even has his fellow Republicans up in arms.  If Texans are concerned about policies that are impacting inflation, they should be yelling at their governor, not me". 

It's right there for the taking.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

If they don’t vote for Biden, they ain’t LatinX

This is gold. Really wanna go through gaffes made by Biden and Trump? Got a feeling Trump has a few more stupid quotes than Biden. Just a hunch though 

6 months out seems like an aggressive timeline to shitpump monthly jobs report of 400k gains, the declining inflation numbers starting next month, and weekly reports of falling gas prices, but I’ll post every goddamn picture of Joe eating ice cream on the internet if I need to in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

6 months out seems like an aggressive timeline to shitpump monthly jobs report of 400k gains, the declining inflation numbers starting next month, and weekly reports of falling gas prices, but I’ll post every goddamn picture of Joe eating ice cream on the internet if I need to in this thread.

why stop there? post pics of him sniffing people's heads. that really riles up the fucking monkeys.

Computer Working GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Michael Knowles of the conservative news site the Daily Wire, attacked Thunberg on Fox News, labeling her has a “mentally ill Swedish child.”

"The climate hysteria movement is not about science," Knowles said. "If it were about science, it would be led by scientists, rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left."

JFC.  I'm less upset about the childish insult to her as I am about the bolded.  WTF do you think has been happening for 50+ years you human paraquat!?!!

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

That's the thing.  The current R party that stands for nothing but faux outrage with no real platform or solutions of any kind?  Absolutely.  But if by some miracle the R's ran a traditional Republican (i.e., someone like Romney) I think most (me included) would easily flip back.  Unfortunately don't see that happening anytime soon.

Just now, Skipper said:

That's the thing.  The current R party that stands for nothing but faux outrage with no real platform or solutions of any kind?  Absolutely.  But if by some miracle the R's ran a traditional Republican (i.e., someone like Romney) I think most (me included) would easily flip back.  Unfortunately don't see that happening anytime soon.

well, then it's time for you and yours to form a real, viable 3rd party so we can finally make the Republican Party obsolete. we also know that's not gonna happen anytime sooner either

23 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

well, then it's time for you and yours to form a real, viable 3rd party so we can finally make the Republican Party obsolete. we also know that's not gonna happen anytime sooner either

I think a viable 3rd party would hurt the D's as much as the R's.  A true moderate not beholden to the wacko's or the extremes of either side probably wins a plurality.  But that candidate is destroyed by the vocal fringes that dictate policy via social media and otherwise in the primariees.  See Delaney who to me sounded perfectly reasonable on just about every category in the Dem primaries but was boo'd off the stage and shunned by the AOC/Bernie left.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I think a viable 3rd party would hurt the D's as much as the R's.  A true moderate not beholden to the wacko's or the extremes of either side probably wins a plurality.  But that candidate is destroyed by the vocal fringes that dictate policy via social media and otherwise in the primariees.  See Delaney who to me sounded perfectly reasonable on just about every category in the Dem primaries but was boo'd off the stage and shunned by the AOC/Bernie left.

yeah, the D/lib side has its share of loonies, but nothing like what the R/cons have. D's are in playing little league ball and the R's just keep throwing up hall of fame caliber awful people. a true, viable 3rd party would siphon voters from both parties, but if it leaned center-right it all but decimate the Republican Party. The Dems would be alright

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon