Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

So, you don't get Niemoller's point, either?  And how it applies to the post I replied to?

JFC...

His point was that you should always stand up for the things that you believe in, even if the situation doesn't affect you.  Because at some point in time, it may affect YOU...and no one will be there for YOU.  But, more than that, do it because it's the right thing to do.

Heck...just looking at taxes, when the income tax was originally passed, it was only 1% on incomes over $3K/year (very few people at that time) and 6% on people making over $500k (just a few rich people).  Looks like it's creeped to include a whole lot more people over time...

But, more than that, if you disagree with the idea in general, then you should care even IF it doesn't affect you.

Leave it to an aggy to assume that people who graduated from the flagship university of the state would not only not know one of the most famous poems to come out of post WW2 Europe, but then that they would need the meaning explained to them. Lol. Then said aggy cherry-picks the original tax rates, pre any real social services, as if that was a sustainable business model. We were traveling on dirt roads. There was little to no infrastructure to be paid for.  One can only assume that as demand for modern infrastructure increased so too would taxation.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, Incredulity said:

That doesn’t raise enough money to pay for even BBB.  That’s why top rates are at 250k.

Also, no one ever payed a 90% effective income tax rate.  Pure leftist drivel.

I wasn’t alive then, which is why I rely on teporting. Please inform me of reporting to the contrary,

In 1944-45, “the most progressive tax years in U.S. history,” the 94% rate applied to any income above $200,000 ($2.4 million in 2009 dollars, given inflation).

https://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/24489

Is the publically stated goal of seizing absolute power in this country, a goal stated by the “philosopher of the deep right,” pure drivel, too? 

Edited to point out that your first sentence does not support your second.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

So why respond to a post about taxes with that quote?

Because the message in the poem wasn't just about what Niemoller didn't do in the lead up to WWII.   It's about not abdicating personal responsibility solely because the effects of an act won't have immediate personal repercussions.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Because the message in the poem wasn't just about what Niemoller didn't do in the lead up to WWII.   It's about not abdicating personal responsibility solely because the effects of an act won't have immediate personal repercussions.

So what the fuck does that have to do with jacking up the highest tax rate?  I’m at a complete loss on how these things tie together.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:49 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't recall that.  I usually skim Brisket's posts at best.  He can be . . . wordy . . . and repetitive.  Smart, passionate dude, though.

The sentiment in the "poem" (or whatever one would call it) is terrific.  It just gets clumsy when extended to other, perhaps less onerous topics.

Fair enough...And I will agree with you on his posts.  He IS smart...that's obvious.  FWIW, his use of the quote was a HUGE graphic...

As to "First they came..." I think it's a powerful way to show how you should alway do what's right, even if you don't really gain anything personal from it, because not doing what's right can potentially have really bad results.  That's how I've taken the message of it...to me it extends far further than just the immediate issue it was referring to...

BTW...thanks for keeping the discussion civil.  I appreciate that.

29 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I wasn’t alive then, which is why I rely on teporting. Please inform me of reporting to the contrary,

In 1944-45, “the most progressive tax years in U.S. history,” the 94% rate applied to any income above $200,000 ($2.4 million in 2009 dollars, given inflation).

effective.

4 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Fair enough...And I will agree with you on his posts.  He IS smart...that's obvious.  FWIW, his use of the quote was a HUGE graphic...

As to "First they came..." I think it's a powerful way to show how you should alway do what's right, even if you don't really gain anything personal from it, because not doing what's right can potentially have really bad results.  That's how I've taken the message of it...to me it extends far further than just the immediate issue it was referring to...

so we should tax billionaires more?

Edited by elfenix

17 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So what the fuck does that have to do with jacking up the highest tax rate?  I’m at a complete loss on how these things tie together.

Seriously?

Sigh....your post asked him why he cared since it wouldn't personally affect him.

If someone thinks that doing X (in this case "jacking up the highest tax rate") is a bad thing to do for the country and economy, even though it might not personally affect them immediately, then they should disagree with and work to prevent X, otherwise they are abdicating their person responsibility.

The whole point of Niemoller was to advise future generations to NOT do what he did...

Why is this such a difficult concept???

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Is the publically stated goal of seizing absolute power in this country, a goal stated by the “philosopher of the deep right,” pure drivel, too? 

Edited to point out that your first sentence does not support your second.

As far as I care tax billionaires as much as you want.  The unfortunate truth is it doesn’t remotely pay for the leftists wet dream list of entitlements.  Therefore they want to apply these rates to a much more significant portion of the country.

To the point, look up historical effective tax rates.  They are within 5% of  the most recent time period give or take.  So when leftists role out the 90% tax rate hot take you damn well know it isn’t a call for the same tax system in place when rates were 90%.

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

There are a million ways to say that that don't pretty clearly compare a billionaire facing higher marginal tax rates on income over $500 million to the fucking holocaust. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

As far as I care tax billionaires as much as you want.  The unfortunate truth is it doesn’t remotely pay for the leftists wet dream list of entitlements.  Therefore they want to apply these rates to a much more significant portion of the country.

To the point, look up historical effective tax rates.  They are within 5% of  the most recent time period give or take.  So when leftists role out the 90% tax rate hot take you damn well know it isn’t a call for the same tax system in place when rates were 90%.

Okay. Might not be drivel, just a hot take. Which I have used to frame my thoughts on fair taxation for more than three decades, thoughts that want to significantly address debt, and include higher tax rates starting in my own tax bracket. Fairly, that wasn’t listed nir mentioned in the op.

If the sacred cow to the left is social programs, the one to the right is defense spending. I believe the need that justifies the expense favors the left’s lunchmeat, but that’s a debate that ought be fleshed out. In terms of economic impact of either outlay, at least the left can point to multiplier effect. 

While I don’t support taxing deferred gains across the board, requiring a time certain for those gains to become taxable is in keeping with tax law governing IRA’s.

Ignoring the quest for absolute power is noted and condemned.

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

requiring a time certain for those gains to become taxable is in keeping with tax law governing IRA’s.

Those gains are going to be realized and taxed upon the owners death.  Which on average is only a few years after required distributions from IRA’s start of required distributions.

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

at least the left can point to multiplier effect. 

Who do you think makes all the weapons, ships, bombs….that make up defense spending?  It isn’t the Chinese, India, Taiwan or Mexico .  It’s American union jobs.

Edited by Incredulity

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Those gains are going to be realized and taxed upon the owners death.  Which on average is only a few years after required distributions from IRA’s start of required distributions.

Who do you think makes all the weapons, ships, bombs….that make up defense spending?  It isn’t the Chinese, India, Taiwan or Mexico .  It’s American union jobs.

What gains are taxed at death?

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

In that case, the inheritor is obliged to realize not just the untaxed income invested, but gain on that income, as well. Therein lies support for my claim. Further, the inherited deferred income accrued through other investments isn’t taxed on any time frame.. Matter of fact, that unearned income will never be taxed. Ever. It can even be used to offset future taxable income. I’m not an expert, but my mom died last year, and this is my understanding:

Companies. Big ones. Who spend more income in other nations than social care recipients or who could keep significant sums in holding, and out of circulation, if it betters their prospects, and who, solely, might spend a portion of their government pay in the form of “wealth that will never be taxed,” (which is the reason my tax rate suggestion’s outrageousness lies in how conservative it is.)  Also why the multiplier effect is firmly to the left.

More^ Those social programs were created by Congress, signed into Law, and upheld as constitutional. So, if the new cry is “no freedom in represented taxation” you’ve abandoned liberty. The tight to be free living under self rule  Which might explain ignoring the publicly stated goal of seizing absolute power  from the guru of alt-right Republicans. Who appear to be the litmus test gatekeepers of your Party.

• Like 1

I’ll be the first person to once again congratulate OUR President Uncle Joey Biden on a raucous 428,000 jobs created in April. How this man gets into the board rooms of America and improves the lives of Americans every month is phenomenal. Never in the history of this country has a Job-Creator in Chief personally given it to the masses like this man has done.

3.6% unemployment

Covid dead

Mets in first place

Russian military exposed as frauds

Stock market at discount prices

27C44B78-D829-4F75-82DE-255BF05F8946.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Seriously?

Sigh....your post asked him why he cared since it wouldn't personally affect him.

If someone thinks that doing X (in this case "jacking up the highest tax rate") is a bad thing to do for the country and economy, even though it might not personally affect them immediately, then they should disagree with and work to prevent X, otherwise they are abdicating their person responsibility.

The whole point of Niemoller was to advise future generations to NOT do what he did...

Why is this such a difficult concept???

A better interpretation is if those with the means don't speak up for the persecuted, shamed and denigrated then they may be next.  Bezos, Musk, Gates, et al meet none of those traits.

14 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

There are a million ways to say that that don't pretty clearly compare a billionaire facing higher marginal tax rates on income over $500 million to the fucking holocaust. 

I didn't.

I'm sorry you're too slow to understand that.

12 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I didn't.

I'm sorry you're too slow to understand that.

Yes, you did. I'm sorry that you're too stupid to understand how things like language and communication work, but you absolutely did compare raising taxes on billionaires to the holocaust. You want to try to confirm it with a third party? Go find five Jews you know, show them the entire exchange, and see what they say.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ll be the first person to once again congratulate OUR President Uncle Joey Biden on a raucous 428,000 jobs created in April. How this man gets into the board rooms of America and improves the lives of Americans every month is phenomenal. Never in the history of this country has a Job-Creator in Chief personally given it to the masses like this man has done.

3.6% unemployment

Covid dead

Mets in first place

Russian military exposed as frauds

Stock market at discount prices

27C44B78-D829-4F75-82DE-255BF05F8946.jpeg

imagine what he could do if he wasn't brain dead!

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes, you did. I'm sorry that you're too stupid to understand how things like language and communication work, but you absolutely did compare raising taxes on billionaires to the holocaust. You want to try to confirm it with a third party? Go find five Jews you know, show them the entire exchange, and see what they say.

How in the world would an aggie know 5 Jews?

• Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Really? I'm not particularly bright and I see how Niemoller's words apply. 

I got it.

First they (IRS) came for the billionaires. Then the millionaires then the thousandaires, then they came for Ags with Kids who I guess is a hundredaire.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Just because advanced reading comprehension is beyond your grasp does not mean that I did what you're claiming.

But, if I can find 5 Jewish people in Corpus, I'll ask them.  I think my odds will be low, though.  Most people here are Catholic.

20 minutes ago, F250 said:

I got it.

First they (IRS) came for the billionaires. Then the millionaires then the thousandaires, then they came for Ags with Kids who I guess is a hundredaire.

Mildly poor interpretation, but it's still closer than wildcats...

And I'm a TWOhundredaire, thank you.

Well my neighbors finally took down their giant “Let’s go Brandon” banner today. Are they secretly big “right to privacy” fans and they’ve seen the light? Were they finally shamed by their social circle? Just out for repair? So many questions.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Do you live in a trailer park?

I live in NW Hills and one of my neighbors had a huge Let's Go Brandon banner hanging from his second story porch rail.  Trash isn't limited to low income housing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 2:01 AM, Thatguy said:

Leave it to an aggy to assume that people who graduated from the flagship university of the state would not only not know one of the most famous poems to come out of post WW2 Europe, but then that they would need the meaning explained to them. Lol. Then said aggy cherry-picks the original tax rates, pre any real social services, as if that was a sustainable business model. We were traveling on dirt roads. There was little to no infrastructure to be paid for.  One can only assume that as demand for modern infrastructure increased so too would taxation.

Umm...I've had to explain the meaning to numerous posters in here.

And...the example I gave was to illustrate the point of what I posted.

JFC...y'all give me tired head.

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

A better interpretation is if those with the means don't speak up for the persecuted, shamed and denigrated then they may be next.  Bezos, Musk, Gates, et al meet none of those traits.

Well...using the standard dictionary definition...they ARE persecuted...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/persecute

And right on this thread they're being shamed and denigrated...

So....perhaps revise your interpretation...

• Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Well...using the standard dictionary definition...they ARE persecuted...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/persecute

And right on this thread they're being shamed and denigrated...

So....perhaps revise your interpretation...

Good grief, do you regularly start speeches with "According to Webster..."? And if you do, do you even read the understand the words you use?

1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2: to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (such as attacks, pleas, or importunities) : PESTER

If you want to try and be literal and claim we are persecuting Bezos, etc., please explain how anything in this thread is either designed to injure, grieve, or afflict, or annoy with persistent or urgent approaches. If the claim is that raising task rates is designed to injure, grieve, or afflict then the word can be applied to virtually any action ever taken given that there are winners and losers in every transaction.

Aggie education indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Congratulations to Joe Biden for building the greatest economy the world has ever seen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/05/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

Stocks fall on Friday to close out tumultuous week, Dow drops for sixth straight week

PUBLISHED THU, MAY 5 20226:02 PM EDTUPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Congratulations to Joe Biden for building the greatest economy the world has ever seen.

Stocks fall on Friday to close out tumultuous week, Dow drops for sixth straight week

Cos0nVJWYAA5vdX.jpg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

^^^^^This guy only buys the market when it's going up. Laugh at him. Hit the laugh emoji

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I live in NW Hills and one of my neighbors had a huge Let's Go Brandon banner hanging from his second story porch rail.  Trash isn't limited to low income housing.

Sorry to hear all that. You should take a picture and submit it with your TCAD protest. 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Good grief, do you regularly start speeches with "According to Webster..."? And if you do, do you even read the understand the words you use?

1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflictspecifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2: to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (such as attacks, pleas, or importunities) : PESTER

If you want to try and be literal and claim we are persecuting Bezos, etc., please explain how anything in this thread is either designed to injure, grieve, or afflict, or annoy with persistent or urgent approaches. If the claim is that raising task rates is designed to injure, grieve, or afflict then the word can be applied to virtually any action ever taken given that there are winners and losers in every transaction.

Aggie education indeed.

punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict

So...adding punitive tax rates directly on a small group of people isn't intended to do that?

smdh...
Edited by Ag with kids

7 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

So...adding punitive tax rates directly on a small group of people isn't intended to do that?

smdh...

No, it isn't designed to injure, grieve, or afflict, no more than any legislative action ever passed. Seriously, other than naming random days / months "National XX Day", give a piece of legislature that doesn't have winners or losers. If you want to water down a word that much then it's obviously up to you but it makes you look, well, aggy.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

No, it isn't designed to injure, grieve, or afflict, no more than any legislative action ever passed. Seriously, other than naming random days / months "National XX Day", give a piece of legislature that doesn't have winners or losers. If you want to water down a word that much then it's obviously up to you but it makes you look, well, aggy.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon