Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FANTASTIC criticism of Biden. I’m dead serious. The “Bankruptcy Reform” act was a shitty, shitty law. I have a cousin who worked closely with Senator Biden at that time (on unrelated issues) and I unloaded on him. Told him what an utterly shitty law it was, and how I wish I could tell Biden that to his face, and what explanation does he have for that bullshit? Cousin was sheepish “yeah…that wasn’t a good one.”
But….know why it passed? Joe was just one vote. It passed because of overwhelming GOP support for it. One of the worst pieces of legislation in the past quarter century, and your boys couldn’t vote for it fast enough.

Feels like walking on egg shells any time a criticism of Biden comes up. Valid criticisms of him, even if from a left leaning perspective, are misconstrued as giving ammo to the GOP. The bar should be set higher than simply not being Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Feels like walking on egg shells any time a criticism of Biden comes up. Valid criticisms of him, even if from a left leaning perspective, are misconstrued as giving ammo to the GOP. The bar should be set higher than simply not being Trump. 

Joe Biden is a conservative Democrat. The left should criticize him loudly in an effort to move him in that direction.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

More misinformation. Increasing the corporate tax rate will not decrease inflation. Just trying to create some nice boogeymen. 

"inflation is because there's too much money in the economy"

"well then lets tax some out of it"

"lol how would taking money out of the economy decrease inflation"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

"inflation is because there's too much money in the economy"

"well then lets tax some out of it"

"lol how would taking money out of the economy decrease inflation"

While that is the MMTer way of approaching things, we all know that money would just get redistributed out. No deficit reduction or anything. Money supply would be minimally affected. 

Anyway, I wonder if the Biden administration could instruct the FDA to take a look at this? Seems important. Crickets 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5
  • Rage+1 1

The FDA found serious safety concerns at Abbott.  That's why they shut their production down.  It doesn't matter that there was no evidence linked to the 4 illnesses (2 deaths).  It is an unsafe product line and needs to be brought up to snuff.

But you knew that, @Immaculate Vibes.  You're just doing your usual schtick.

Do you ever tire of being a giant dick, unconcerned with the truth?  Don't answer that.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The FDA found serious safety concerns at Abbott.  That's why they shut their production down.  It doesn't matter that there was no evidence linked to the 4 illnesses (2 deaths).  It is an unsafe product line and needs to be brought up to snuff.

But you knew that, @Immaculate Vibes.  You're just doing your usual schtick.

Do you ever tire of being a giant dick, unconcerned with the truth?  Don't answer that.

Unsafe huh? Unsafe like nationwide formula shortages?  Don’t answer that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

Unsafe and something like 90% of all formula - regardless of the brand on the label - is manufactured at 2 or 3 plants.

And the plant that was shutdown makes a large percentage.

There was a great twitter thread that explains it all but I can’t find it now - of course.

I’ll keep looking and post it when I find it.

But the reasons consist of more than eight words in a pithy sound bite so the usual idiots don’t have the gray matter to comprehend it nor the intellectual honesty to acknowledge it so…..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

More misinformation. Increasing the corporate tax rate will not decrease inflation. Just trying to create some nice boogeymen. 

Tax your way out of inflation; spend your way out of recession.  

Just now, Bama Chick said:

Unsafe and something like 90% of all formula - regardless of the brand on the label - is manufactured at 2 or 3 plants.

There was a great twitter thread that explains it all but I can’t find it now - of course.

But the reasons consist of more than eight words in a pithy sound bite so the usual idiots don’t have the gray matter to comprehend it nor the intellectual honesty to acknowledge it so…..

It's a low margin product targeted at a declining market.  It's just not great business.  98% of the consumed formula in the US is produced in the US, so it's not like we have a backup spigot to turn on.  When Abbott goes off line, for whatever reason, it is a huge issue, but sure, we'll blame it on Biden because we're all disingenuous party over country politically motivated hacks.

10 hours ago, Caponata said:

Well, let's pile on with VCCLA (the 1994 Crime Bill), not only voted for by Biden, but introduced in the Senate by Biden.  Shitty law.  Grotesque pandering.

One of the biggest reasonable objections to Biden is his lifetime of political "service."  Part and parcel of that tenure is going to be being on the wrong side of a whole lotta shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Caponata said:

Were you here for the Dem primary thread? Be comfortable

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's a low margin product targeted at a declining market.  It's just not great business.  98% of the consumed formula in the US is produced in the US, so it's not like we have a backup spigot to turn on.  When Abbott goes off line, for whatever reason, it is a huge issue, but sure, we'll blame it on Biden because we're all disingenuous party over country politically motivated hacks.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

So if I were POTUS and there was a shortage of baby formula where families are going day to day, i feel like I would be addressing it directly and quite rapidly. I mean the Biden White House was willing to publicly pressure the FDA about approving Covid boosters before science really said it was worth it. If it’s important enough he’d make something happen 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Tax your way out of inflation; spend your way out of recession.  

Boy it’s too bad we kept prime and tax rates super low during a huge boom.  

I know it’s not a hard rule but it sure feels like every party transition leads to D inheriting a fucked up situation from an R-lead spending and deregulation spree.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

we all know that money would just get redistributed out. No deficit reduction or anything. Money supply would be minimally affected. 

why, are republicans in charge?

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

the fed has a big problem: its tools can't fix the 700 cargo ships waiting for shit in shanghai, but they can cause collapse in the periphery as money gets pulled out chasing better returns in the US.  and global collapses aren't good. 

28 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

So if I were POTUS and there was a shortage of baby formula where families are going day to day, i feel like I would be addressing it directly and quite rapidly. I mean the Biden White House was willing to publicly pressure the FDA about approving Covid boosters before science really said it was worth it. If it’s important enough he’d make something happen 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/05/12/fact-sheet-president-biden-announces-additional-steps-to-address-infant-formula-shortage/

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

You think he's going to click on that?  I'll try to at least give him a sporting chance.

President Biden has directed his administration to work urgently to ensure that during the Abbott Nutrition voluntary recall, infant formula is safe and available for families across the country. Today, President Biden spoke with retailers and manufacturers, including Wal-Mart, Target, Reckitt, and Gerber, to discuss ways we can all work together to do more to help families access infant formula.

On February 17, the largest infant formula manufacturer in the country—Abbott Nutrition—initiated a voluntary recall of several lines of powdered formula. This came after concerns about bacterial contamination at Abbott’s Sturgis, Michigan, facility after four infants fell ill and two died. The federal government—including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Department of Agriculture (USDA), Department of Justice (DOJ), Department of Transportation (DOT), U.S. Trade Representative (USTR), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of Commerce (DOC), and the White House—has worked diligently over the last few months to address the shortfall in infant formula production while the Sturgis plant remains offline, including working with other infant formula manufacturers to increase production, expediting the import of infant formula from abroad, and calling on both online and in store retailers to establish purchasing limits to prevent the possibility of hoarding. As a result, more infant formula has been produced in the last four weeks than in the four weeks preceding the recall — despite one of the largest infant formula production facilities in the U.S. being offline.

Families across the country remain concerned about the availability of infant formula—especially families that depend on specialty formulas for which the Sturgis facility is a key supplier. These 20 specialty formulas are used by about 5,000 infants as well as some older children and adults with rare metabolic diseases, and Abbott Nutrition is the only supplier for some of these formulas.

Today, President Biden is announcing additional steps to bolster our work to get infant formula onto store shelves as quickly as possible without compromising safety. These steps include:

• Cutting Red Tape to Get More Infant Formula to Store Shelves Quicker: Manufacturers typically produce many different sizes of the same type of infant formula. Simplifying product offerings allows manufacturers to increase the speed and scale of their infant formula production, stabilizing the overall volume of formula available in the market. The type of formula that companies make and distribute is impacted by the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), administered by USDA. About half of infant formula nationwide is purchased by participants using WIC benefits, based on both federal requirements and additional rules set by individual states that have a large effect on the availability and distribution of infant formula in a given state.

To help further increase manufacturers’ ability to meet demand and distribute formula, USDA is working with states to make it easier for vulnerable families to purchase the formula they need with their WIC benefits. USDA is urging states to allow WIC recipients to use their WIC benefits on a wider variety of products so that if certain sizes or types of formula are out of stock, they can use their benefits on those that are in stock. And, USDA is urging states to relax their requirements that stores keep a certain amount of formula in stock. This will offer relief to retailers and allow companies to manage inventories to meet demand. Some states are already doing this. All fifty states should. These actions will make it easier for vulnerable families to get the necessary nutritional support for their infants.

• Calling on the FTC and State Attorneys General to Crack Down on Any Price Gouging or Unfair Market Practices Related to Sales of Infant Formula: Parents looking to feed their child should not be taken advantage of by unscrupulous retailers unfairly jacking up prices. There have been several reports that actors are purchasing formula at retail stores and reselling it online at a markup several times the retail price, especially specialty brands of formula that have experienced the most disruption. These actions not only are costing families hundreds of dollars for formula they need, but drive scarcity on the market. Since February, the FDA has worked with companies, calling on them to issue purchasing limits to help limit such predatory behavior. Many responsible retailers have responded to that call. Now, DOJ is engaging with state attorneys general to encourage them to use their powers to monitor and address price gouging in the infant formula market, and urging them to devote more resources to monitoring predatory behavior in the market for infant formula. And, the President today asked the Federal Trade Commission to use all its available tools to monitor and investigate reports of illegal and predatory conduct.
  • Increasing the Supply of Formula Through Increased Imports: The U.S. normally produces 98% percent of the infant formula it consumes, and trading partners in Mexico, Chile, Ireland, and the Netherlands are key sources of imports. But given the production and distribution issues leading to local short supplies of infant formula, the FDA will, in the coming days, announce specific new steps it is taking concerning importing certain infant formula products from abroad.

More information on actions that the FDA announced earlier this week to address the shortage of infant formula can be found here. The Biden-Harris Administration will continue to monitor the situation and identify other ways it can support the safe and rapid increase in the production and distribution of baby formula.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

You keep being you IV.

You know Corporations don't really pay taxes right? It is a increase on goods and services. What happens when there is an increase on goods and services? You go up on your prices, the costs go on to the consumer..............you,.............the consumer. It is a tax on tax payers, every time, not the corporations. Taxing corporations is a good message for the left because they are going after the evil corporations that are greedy without upsetting their voter base. The reality is those taxes filter down to the working class consumer. But by all means "pay your fair share".

16 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You know Corporations don't really pay taxes right? It is a increase on goods and services. What happens when there is an increase on goods and services? You go up on your prices, the costs go on to the consumer..............you,.............the consumer. It is a tax on tax payers, every time, not the corporations. Taxing corporations is a good message for the left because they are going after the evil corporations that are greedy without upsetting their voter base. The reality is those taxes filter down to the working class consumer. But by all means "pay your fair share".

So what is a corporate tax reduction ?

• Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You know consumers can choose who to buy goods and services from, right?

Well, if corporations are to be given all of the human rights, they can go ahead and assume some obligations.  Like some austerity along with their customers and employees.

I haven't seen much evidence that corporate margins have broadly increased over the last year.  They have risen since the 2017 tax windfall.

But seems to me "business as usual" is not good enough.  They can have a bite of the shit sandwich along with the rest of us.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

You keep being you IV.

speaking of tweets i cannot find, there's a great rundown of behavioral patterns of corporations through the years. 

simply put - when a d is in charge, behave like shitheels and profit-monger until an r is back in charge, when they'll receive more favorable benefits through legislation.

ideas become plans become strategies because they work.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:05 PM, fattyflattie said:

I hate that a fuckload of people do not contribute shit to this country, yet have the gall to throw stones at those who worked their way to the top about what they “owe”.  

You hate a fuckload of people who have the gall to throw stones at your imaginary group of snowflakes?

Rigorous as fuck analysis. 

8 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I hate that a fuckload of people do not contribute shit to this country, yet have the gall to throw stones at those who worked their way to the top about what they “owe”.  

This has been debunked a trillion times but stupid rubes still believe it 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, Homercles said:

I know it’s not a hard rule but it sure feels like every party transition leads to D inheriting a fucked up situation from an R-lead spending and deregulation spree.  

It feels that way because it is that way starting with Reagan

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The haves will do whatever it takes to convince the have nots that it's their fault and only their fault that they are poor.

Of course. That is why Cinderella and Ragged Dick are just that: myths. Every have not should work hard without complaint and wait patiently for a fairy godmother, a handsome prince, and/or a  wealthy benefactor who appears out of the fog to take pity on a poor earnest orphan. Never once should one question why fairy godmothers are fantasy, by what right or happenstance is the prince a prince, and in what way did the wealthy benefactor derive said wealth.

30 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Of course. That is why Cinderella and Ragged Dick are just that: myths. Every have not should work hard without complaint and wait patiently for a fairy godmother, a handsome prince, and/or a  wealthy benefactor who appears out of the fog to take pity on a poor earnest orphan. Never once should one question why fairy godmothers are fantasy, by what right or happenstance is the prince a prince, and in what way did the wealthy benefactor derive said wealth.

You could have stopped with “should work hard”. That’s 95% of not being poor in US. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You could have stopped with “should work hard”. That’s 95% of not being poor in US. 

I would pay a good chunk of change to watch you wait tables for a week and see how you handle it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I would pay a good chunk of change to watch you wait tables for a week and see how you handle it.

I’m not a server. I’d expect it would go poorly, similar to a server attempting my job for a week, or me attempting yours. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not a server. I’d expect it would go poorly, similar to a server attempting my job for a week, or me attempting yours. 

You mean to tell me a low-wage job might still require skill and hard work?

I thought we had poor people because we've got a lot of lazy people with no skills to contribute to society?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You mean to tell me a low-wage job might still require skill and hard work?

I thought we had poor people because we've got a lot of lazy people with no skills to contribute to society?

Not what I said, at all. You said a week. I’m certain day 1 would be a mess, but we are talking skills learned and mastered largely by teenagers. The ceiling is nowhere near say, the skills needed to be an attorney.  “Hard work” is petty gray. Some folks find it difficult to stay in the sun all day, some find it difficult to go in front of a board and explain their quarterly shortcomings, and I guess some assume being polite and refilling glasses of water is difficult. I can’t really speak to that. I don’t believe checking in on someone every 7-10 minutes and refilling their drinks to be too daunting.   Also suspect about the “low wage” part of your statement.  

35 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Too bad "should work hard" isn't 95% of not being poor. It's mostly luck.

For the world, I agree luck has a whole lot to do with it.  Being born in Haiti means you are screwed.  Being born healthy in the USA means you are born on third base.

So I disagree with it when it comes to the United States.  Unless Asians are just the luckiest bastards in the USA (or it's not 95% luck it's because their culture that values education, the nuclear family, and hard work).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon