2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

January 1 weight 285.  I’ve been between 265 and 290 for about 15 years now and it’s time to get down to a more reasonable level.  I’ll shoot for 240.  Starting by eliminating alcohol as that is the low hanging fruit.  

Ironically my issue isn’t exercise but portion size.  Got a garmin instinct to track my activity and going to ease into more as the year goes on.  Will try to update every couple of weeks. 

Lets do this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

January 1 weight 285.  I’ve been between 265 and 290 for about 15 years now and it’s time to get down to a more reasonable level.  I’ll shoot for 240.  Starting by eliminating alcohol as that is the low hanging fruit.  

Ironically my issue isn’t exercise but portion size.  Got a garmin instinct to track my activity and going to ease into more as the year goes on.  Will try to update every couple of weeks. 

Lets do this.

Similar, down from 290ish to 263, was around 255 before some issues jumped up that slowed me down late summer. Shooting for 235 or so. Pretty good about some exercise, eating reasonably well, but suck at portion control and just skipping meals if not all that hungry. Going to work on consistent cardio and trying to get better about portion control.

I would highly suggest www.rpstrength.com for those looking for guidance on how to lose weight. They’re having a sale right now and the first 3 months of their app is $34.99 when it is regularly $14.99/month. You can pay by the month and quit whenever or you can sign up for one year.  They have a 14 day free trial as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been doing fasted cardio (walking) in the morning and lifting in the afternoon. Changing the walking out for rowing because it’s cold and I don’t like being cold.

Diet plan is roughly 1800 calories with a 40/30/30 split (protein/fat/carbs). Im using MyFitnessPal to track.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Any had any experience with hiring a personal trainer like actors do to prepare for roles/movies? I've thought that might be a good investment...

my sister went this route, she’ dropped 30lbs last year. She found a lady in her neighborhood and it’s worked out great for her 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

my sister went this route, she’ dropped 30lbs last year. She found a lady in her neighborhood and it’s worked out great for her 

I feel like this is a good route for me where I'm like 8-10 pounds away from ideal weight but more interested in the sculpting and aesthetic journey that follows once you've gotten your weight/body ratio tuned, because it becomes more about the exercise program than pure calories/diet.

Back for another round. Day 1 of Dry January, eating better and dragging myself back to the gym. Need to be better about staying consistent over the course of the year and really just living healthier in general so that I don't have little injuries and ailments that throw me off my routine for weeks at a time.

I'm guessing I'm probably approaching 210, would like to get back to around 190 and drop 2 inches off the waist by Spring. Will do official first weigh-in tomorrow morning once the bloating from a long weekend of binge eating and drinking subsides.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm at 210, and looking to get to get to 180-185.  I've done it before, twice (but here we are again).  What has always worked for me in the past is simple.  Burn more calories than I take in.  And limit but no keto-ize carbs.  If I try to get too cute with tracking using an app or wutnot, it doesn't work.  Portion control has always been an issue for me.  Whatever amount is on my plate I eat.  I think it stems from being one of 5 kids and you had to get while the getting was good growing up.  

Couple simple things I have done is- after I have hit a reasonable calorie intake in a meal, immediately walk to the plate to the trash and dump it.  Then I don't have it staring at me telling me to finish.  Second is immediately go brush my teeth.  No one likes to eat after brushing their teeth.  Kinda ties a bow on the meal.  And dinner has always been my big meal.  Obviously that needs to stop.

We have a body transformation thread as well.  Lots of good stuff over there.

Last year was brutal.  Went from 184 in April to 202 in December. Ouch.

Hey, we all know what to do, as there are many diets that work along with exercise that is not too tough but fun and effective.  The problem is always staying with it, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, because that just takes more time.

A few general tips that I have found work really well, especially when starting.

Crash diet:  Nothing wrong with this.  Great  psychological boost and usually works great with moderate exercise. Just don't do it for more than a month before transitioning into something more long term, and don't expect the same results going forward.  Stuff that usually goes under this topic are things like (one meal a day, no alcohol, working out every single day etc.).  It is ok to be enthusiastic right off the bat, so use this to your advantage, while it lasts.

The other stuff besides diet and exercise:  Stress and sleep anyone.  Sometimes small and easily habit forming adjustments can pay big rewards in the form of weight loss.

Exercise:  For weight loss, less is more.  When just starting out (New Years), just walk or do something relaxing that you like.  Nobody needs the hassle of a new gym membership or the pressure of using a new piece of exercise equipment.  The last thing you need is to get injured right away.  In time you can go back to harder workouts you like and diversify the types of stress you put on your body.

Write it down:  Keep track of your weight every day as well as a few other select pieces of info.  No need to get too detailed.  Things like "No alcohol today" or "1 hr walk".  When I have faltered over the weekend and see the lbs come back on Monday, I am often astounded how quickly they come off giving me confidence that all is not lost.

Have a big picture goal: Sure you want to lose weight, but what are you going to do with your new found body?

Losing weight does not need to be an all consuming drudgery.  Save that for the last few lbs when getting down to your college weight or seeking some new personal best  time or lift or athletic skill.  Think of weight loss as the rediscovery of good habits, gift of health, and the transition to a better life.

Good luck fellow fatasses.  I just want you to know, we're all counting on you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

As someone who lost a ton of weight by changing my relationship with food, best piece of advice I can give to you all is you can’t outrun a bad diet. Diet is 90% of weight loss. 10% is exercise. “Fit” people who look fit are counting their calories regardless of whether they want to lose weight or not. Get your mind right and losing weight is easy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

As someone who lost a ton of weight by changing my relationship with food, best piece of advice I can give to you all is you can’t outrun a bad diet. Diet is 90% of weight loss. 10% is exercise. “Fit” people who look fit are counting their calories regardless of whether they want to lose weight or not. Get your mind right and losing weight is easy.

4 bbq joints will file for bankruptcy if @Patricio Swayze reads and follows this advice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In. Last year, I dropped from 225 to 175 (just before Xmas). Overindulged and weighed in this AM at 183. Want to get to 170 (I’m 5’10”). 
Im doing Weight Watchers. It’s solid. You get to eat enough, just make sure it’s the right foods. 
Alcohol- you don’t have to cut it out; just be smart. When you are losing weight, it doesn’t take as much to buzz. 
A good rule I have found- “eat no bad cake”. In other words, it’s ok to eat sugary or fatty foods, but make sure they are of quality. Cake slice made by a real baker? Absolutely. Industrial cake from Kroger? Not worth it. 
Home made crepe with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar? Yum (just have one). Hit the glazed donuts in the work weight room? Not worth it. 
Prime steak? Sure- but you get plenty of enjoyment from the first six ounces. After that, it’s just about stretching your belly. 
Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

Hit 205 last year. Got as low as 190, but between my knee and chest and holidays in general I’m back to 199 as of today. 

Poured out the 1/3 bottle of whiskey I had plus the wine. I have little self control if it is in front of me. Going to try to lay off the shit food and overstuffing myself.  Hopefully do a better job this year than last, starting today. 

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ugh. In. Never thought I would let myself slip this much.

Yep.  A mere 15 years ago, I was doing absolutely everything in my power to gain weight.  One day I hit that ideal and just kept going.

I don't have as much to lose as y'all but figure posting will be a motivation.

I'm 6' 205.  I'd like to get down to 190 for soccer and cycling purposes.

To add, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of built-in advantages.  I don't like or eat sweets other than an occasional soft drink.  Also, as a teacher, I have about 14,000 steps built in to my daily schedule.  What I do need to figure out is how to not eat crap in the middle of the night.  I have bad insomnia.  In being half awake, I don't have a lot of self control - half a bag of chips in an instant.  I've gotta get past that.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I'm in.  Got waaaay too fat for my taste over the past year.  I'm 6'2" and hit 278, which is a personal high (low, really - I was down to 256 when the pandemic started and I gave up).  Want to get down to 235 or so, which is a good weight for me (was 225 when I graduated HS and I was skinny).  Going to try carb cycling since that is what the guys who run my gym promote.  Several people who attend the gym have had great results from it.  It's a pain in the ass counting everything, though.  But I've finally vowed to myself that either I make the changes now while it's my choice, or I can wait until the choice is taken from me in the form of a heart attack or something similar.

I already do a HIIT workout 4 days a week and ski on the weekends, so I get plenty of exercise, I just eat and drink way too much.  Gotta fix that side of the equation since that's what weight loss is all about - diet.

21 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I'm guessing I'm probably approaching 210, would like to get back to around 190 and drop 2 inches off the waist by Spring. Will do official first weigh-in tomorrow morning once the bloating from a long weekend of binge eating and drinking subsides.

205.7 this morning, which was lighter than expected. Even less excuse if I can't hit my goals.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 bbq joints will file for bankruptcy if [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] reads and follows this advice. 

Hahaha. Kind of true. I probably should stop eating bbq so much, but more so because of the cost.

However, I have cut weight quickly before while eating a lot of bbq (high protein/fat, low carb diet). In fact, that is my problem, the goddamn carbs (the whites).

30 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

205.7 this morning, which was lighter than expected. Even less excuse if I can't hit my goals.

You look like you are in a similar situation, and no need to make this take all spring.  See below:

I went back to the Transformation Thread and dug up the "crash diet" portion of an old post of mine, for those interested.  It works.

Follow up to below:  After that post I was on it for another two weeks, but eventually stalled out a 183lbs, which is around 15% BF for me.

The steps:

Complete cessation of alcohol.  I put a pencil to my alcohol consumption as I recollected it and  in the previous weeks averaged an alcohol equivalent of 31 Bud Lights per week.  I know this Surly and that is no big deal, but calorically it amounts to about 1lb/week.  Plus this is not forever.

Walk 1 hr/day on average: Pretty easy to do since I have no other means of exercise.  Based on my weight and pace, I figured I can get about 1LB/week out of this. I am also doing some light band rehab work on my wrists, elbows and shoulders, but nothing calorically significant.  Walking is a very powerful fat loss tool.  Several years ago I was down to about 179LBS while doing all kinds of body weight exercises and sprinting along with a very moderate paleo type of diet when my weight loss really stalled out until I added about 3 walks a week.  There is just something about the pace that lends itself to steady fat loss.

One Meal Per Day:  This is where it might get difficult for some of you.  This is not an eating window.  I literally have one meal per day (during the week) and I eat mine at 3PM.  From prep to finishing the dishes it is about 1 hr.  In normal times I don't eat breakfast or lunch but eat from 6-9PM excluding weekends.

The Meal is a salad: 1/2 LB of Spring mix, 2 can of sardines, 2 hard boiled eggs, generous portions of bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, onions and broccoli.  Topped with a homemade vinaigrette, shredded Parmesan cheese, and Parmesan Crisps.  I have a hard time finishing it and I have no hunger for the rest of the evening unless someone brings in some fast food or something.  The caloric intake would not be sufficient if I were climbing or otherwise working out, but I find it works while I am hobbled.  I have weighed myself before and after this meal and the weight is ~3lbs of food +/-.  I did a calorie count on it at one time but I don't have it anymore, but I think it was slightly less less than 2000 cals.  I may rework it and edit this post if there is interest.

The results:

Very slow start for the first 3-4 days in terms of weight loss.  Some of that may be in the weighing times and whether I have evacuated my bowels of the 3lb meal, but after that once you get in a rhythm the result are consistent.  I vary from this approach on the weekends a bit and whatever happens over the weekend tends to even out by Monday afternoon. 

After 3 weeks I am at 185-186 lbs for an astonishing .8/lbs lost per day.  Caveat, historically, my weight loss tends to stall as I get closer to 180lbs.  But also consider, I have no weight work or HIT training in this regimen so I still have that in my bag of tricks once I get healthier.  Consider too to that I am also preconditioned to smaller eating windows so the effect would in theory be greater for someone not accustomed to restricted eating windows.  

Also, I began this program not significantly over weight.  For another Surly of similar build and love of all things alcohol, but say another 20lbs heavier to start, I would expect being able to run this program for longer with similar daily results.  There are also other hidden calorie restrictions that I do not have available such as soft drinks or sweets which I don't usually have in my diet, so I don't benefit from cutting them out.

On muscle loss: I have no idea or not whether this is occurring or not, but it is not a concern at this time since I really have no other choice.  I will say that this injury situation has led me to research and rethink my movement patterns for all forms of exercise. I imagine I am going to be out of rock climbing for another 3-4 months and in that time I will continue to try and lose weight to where I am down to under 170lb.  At that weight, I will have the benefit of over 30LBS less of body weight to deal with on the wall which is kind of like a hidden strength gain.  Additionally with improvement in technique and emphasis on mobility and correct muscle activation and joint strengthening, any loss of muscle will be more than offset.

I just thought I would share the weight loss portion especially since it is working so well and dispel the notion that you need to hit the gym all the time and wear yourself out to get good and fast results which are not the result of an unsustainable crash diet or questionable eating habits.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha. Kind of true. I probably should stop eating bbq so much, but more so because of the cost.

However, I have cut weight quickly before while eating a lot of bbq (high protein/fat, low carb diet). In fact, that is my problem, the goddamn carbs (the whites).

bbq is low carb !

I dont have a scale but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 210# and 6 ft. I got a Tonal around Thanksgiving and freaking love it. Never could stay in a gym but love the convenience of going to my garage, pressing a button, and having a fully customized workout ready.

If anyone is considering, hit me up for a referral code.

I lost ~20lbs the past 2 year. I'm quite proud that I've developed a consistent daily workout habit now. I still hate working out, but def it's part of my identity. Was 173-175 heading into November last year. Then post Thanksgiving till now gained back 5-7 pounds that's been hard as heck to drop. 

The diet part is so so hard...

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

2 days in a row with no booze.  That hasn't happened since, Idk when, maybe early 2020?  

Who here is fasting?

I’m also Day 2 into Dry January.

I’ve done it a few times, though it’s been a while. I don’t really need it for weight loss – I’m 6’0” and about 165-170, and I work out about 4 days a week. But I was particularly rough on the liver from Thanksgiving week through this past Sunday, and probably ate more crap food than I normally do (french fries were the biggest culprit). So I need to give my body a reset, cut the booze, and up the fiber and greens.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m also Day 2 into Dry January.

I’ve done it a few times, though it’s been a while. I don’t really need it for weight loss – I’m 6’0” and about 165-170, and I work out about 4 days a week. But I was particularly rough on the liver from Thanksgiving week through this past Sunday, and probably ate more crap food than I normally do (french fries were the biggest culprit). So I need to give my body a reset, cut the booze, and up the fiber and greens.

Pretty much though I’m shorter than you are.  Been crushing my liver for a while and it needs a break.  I heard it’ll be as good as new in time 

23 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Pretty much though I’m shorter than you are.  Been crushing my liver for a while and it needs a break.  I heard it’ll be as good as new in time 

True story: A friend of mine had a rare cancer a couple years ago that required removal of a portion of her liver. It has since grown fully back. Apparently that organ has some impressive regenerative capabilities. I did not know that. /johnnycarson 

Edited by South Austin

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

True story: A friend of mine had a rare cancer a couple years ago that required removal of a portion of her liver. It has since grown fully back. Apparently that organ has some impressive regenerative capabilities. I did not know that. /johnnycarson 

Oh, back to bourbon then,