2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

I didn’t realize how many folks around here drank alcohol. I haven’t had any alcohol in over a year. 

Cutting out booze definitely helps maintain weight loss. So many extra calories you don’t realize you’re consuming.

Wait, what? Surly seems like it’s comprised of two groups. Those that post in the alcoholics thread, and those that will be posting in the alcoholics thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

44th birthday is this weekend. I’ll quit the booze Monday until Feb 13 (Vegas).

55th for  me is on Friday.

There is hope for those of you in your mid 40's.  I was in the best shape of my life in my mid 40's.  I had been in excellent shape back in my 20's and 30's, but never paid any attention to the effect of diet. I got it all dialed in at around age 45  and never felt better or performed better.  Kept that going for at least 5 or 6 years. 

• Like 1

Checking in.

In 2005-6, I lost 40 lbs (got down to 167 at my lowest).  One divorce later, starting my doctorate, getting remarried, having 2 more kids and in 2022, I weigh 223 at 5' 10".

At 54, I feel fine.  I really do, but I look back at old photos (even wedding day in 2009, I weighed 190) and think to myself how much better I looked and felt then, vs today.

So, I put this in the Peloton thread, but I ordered one this past Monday.  Dietary wise, I've already cut back or eliminated the things I crave (sweetened drinks are my kryptonite), but I do need to start exercising.  I don't expect the bike to be the magic elixir here, but I think the combo of that + dietary changes can get me down to around 205 ish in a year's time.

Wife still wearing size 2 at age 41, and still doing bootcamps at 5 each morning, plus running around 20 miles a week as well is a pretty strong motivational factor too.  If she can keep herself up, so can I.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

A great way to kick off your New Years diet is schedule a colonoscopy for Jan 5.  Shit out 3 pounds (yep, weighed myself pre prep and post procedure, and a full 3 lbs).  Also feels good to get everything out and refill with healthier food.

Mine's scheduled for the 10th.  Wasn't contemplating doing a pre and post weight, but now I am.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Checking in.

In 2005-6, I lost 40 lbs (got down to 167 at my lowest).  One divorce later, starting my doctorate, getting remarried, having 2 more kids and in 2022, I weigh 223 at 5' 10".

At 54, I feel fine.  I really do, but I look back at old photos (even wedding day in 2009, I weighed 190) and think to myself how much better I looked and felt then, vs today.

So, I put this in the Peloton thread, but I ordered one this past Monday.  Dietary wise, I've already cut back or eliminated the things I crave (sweetened drinks are my kryptonite), but I do need to start exercising.  I don't expect the bike to be the magic elixir here, but I think the combo of that + dietary changes can get me down to around 205 ish in a year's time.

Wife still wearing size 2 at age 41, and still doing bootcamps at 5 each morning, plus running around 20 miles a week as well is a pretty strong motivational factor too.  If she can keep herself up, so can I.

FADB72BA-4AD2-4E73-81AB-D6CE0729E7E4.gif

I’m in. Time to get my shit in gear. Shortly after getting out of the military I let myself go a bit which is not surprising as it happens to a lot of people but that was followed by (in no particular order) going back to school for Bachelor and Masters degrees, 3 kids, 2 new homes, multiple promotions at work, wife going back to school for her Masters and a Principal certification, losing both parents and topped off with this fucking pandemic. It’s amazing how fast that all went by and then you get on a scale and it’s shocking.

But enough making excuses I turn 40 this summer and it’s time to turn it around.

furk, day 1 no drinking after 2 weeks of drinky drinky all over key west and before that for christmas and before that for any reason at all and before that thanksgiving and before that sark after dark and before that because it was hot outside.  yeah, sucks.  I remember this (third year), two weeks of feeling shitty about everything, then it opens back up and the toxicity is gone.  disclaimer - medical detox not needed, I only drink a few a day.  just ate a bowl of popcorn now chewing gum and drinking sparkling water.  may just work and workout tonight. anyway, sucks but worth it.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Checking in.

doctorate in what?

No alcohol since Saturday. I’ve got another year til 40, but ever once in a while I get a bit of anxiety about the damage I’ve done to my body.  And it definitely doesn’t help weight lost and stomach to drink 2-4 whiskeys / beers a day. 

I ate a donut that a vendor dropped off at the office this morning and hated myself for it a bit. Still managed to keep my calories at 1500 for the day, and average 1300 since Sunday. Last time I did well, I I would average 1500 or less S night to F afternoon. Weekends were game on. Trying that again (but not booze at least a month)

Can’t do shit for cardio but walk.  Knee still hurts from surgery. I’m in the leg extension with 1-3lb wt phase and that is enough to hurt and make me sore. At least I have a built in excuse to just do bench, bis, tris, and upper back and shoulders 😃

First time in months I've gone 100+ hours without a single alcoholic beverage. Ate pretty well this week and got in some form of cardio every day. Shed a few lbs. of bloating weight. Also started doing my stretching routines again and my nagging lower back stiffness is loosening up. Plan to start lifting again on Monday.

Have my (hopefully) one big cheat night tomorrow for a work party then it's back on the wagon on Sunday.

For everyone doing Dry January, stay strong. First weekend is usually the hardest to get through, especially if your weekends typically revolve around booze, food and "stuff to do while eating and boozing."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

First time in months I've gone 100+ hours without a single alcoholic beverage. Ate pretty well this week and got in some form of cardio every day. Shed a few lbs. of bloating weight. Also started doing my stretching routines again and my nagging lower back stiffness is loosening up. Plan to start lifting again on Monday.

Have my (hopefully) one big cheat night tomorrow for a work party then it's back on the wagon on Sunday.

For everyone doing Dry January, stay strong. First weekend is usually the hardest to get through, especially if your weekends typically revolve around booze, food and "stuff to do while eating and boozing."

Still holding on and the cravings are gone.  I may go to weekends only in February.  This is great.

Down one lb in a week.  No alcohol at all and just trying to be conscientious of portion size.  Fucking cedar is interfering with exercise outside but no excuses.  

Don’t miss the alcohol at all and told my wife not to buy any for at least six months.  By then I’ll probably know whether I’ve just given it up for good.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

During covid I went from 276 down to 253 currently.  I have kicked it up a notch, joining a gym, stopped drinking and improved my diet.  I am trying like a whore to get under 250 and I am stuck.  I want to hit 225 or so.  My goal is to get that by this summer.

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Quitting drinking (for a month which resets the whole year) is the primary reason I learned to fly fish (as opposed to just going on a charter/guided trip), learned to scuba dive and learned to sail the last two years.  Once you’re past the first weekend or week or sometimes two weeks the world opens back up to you, exploration is easier, and the roses smell that much better… this time without the drink. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the best and easiest way you can take control of your diet is to buy a $20 digital scale at Wal-Mart and start weighing your meals out. The overwhelming majority of society has a horrible grasp of portion size. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me they were only taking in 1400 calories a day when they were really at 2600, I would have Oprah money. Be accountable to yourself. Figure out what portion sizes really are and not what you think they are, and quit adding 600 calories a day to your intake in condiments. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, troph said:

Once you’re past the first weekend or week or sometimes two weeks the world opens back up to you, exploration is easier, and the roses smell that much better… this time without the drink. 

When I do a dry January (or the one occasion when I gave up alcohol for Lent), I generally sleep better and I get a little leaner. I’m sure there are other benefits I can’t see, primarily some liver detox.

But I don’t get a “whole new world feeling” like I’m coming out of a fog. Which leads me to ask, troph, how often do you drink? (No judgment, friend.)

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

When I do a dry January (or the one occasion when I gave up alcohol for Lent), I generally sleep better and I get a little leaner. I’m sure there are other benefits I can’t see, primarily some liver detox.

But I don’t get a “whole new world feeling” like I’m coming out of a fog. Which leads me to ask, troph, how often do you drink? (No judgment, friend.)

3 years ago when I did my first dry January I probably drank 2-3 drinks a day for 15 years? Life changes were a bitch and made it worse before better.  That first dry January (2019) changed my life and was the most pronounced and the basis for my statements. But even last year I saw great improvements. 

With dry January I now drink none in January, 1-2 drinks a week in February and it slowly increases to daily by thanksgiving.  The 6 weeks of holidays I’m all over the scotch and fine French wine. Then I stop cold. Now I probably drink 2-3 drinks a day half the year, weighted heavily to the end of summer and  holidays. 

a couple of things factor into it for me - one I’m older so my world shrinks if I drink. Two drinks and I’m in a 2-3 hour window at the end of which I’m asleep for the night or taking a nap. Being booze drowsy isn’t conducive to learning, exploring, etc. the second thing is alcohol hijacks the pleasure center of our brain and fun isn’t fun unless we drink. I definitely noticed this year one. But it’s more than fun, the joy from smelling a bouquet of flowers, seeing a sunrise and other subtleties comes back for me, and that leads to the third part for me, I’m a highly sensitive person so all of this is kind of turned up to 11.

no doubt I used to drink a lot. Not so much anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I hear you, @troph

For me, I started drinking most weeknights as I was approaching my 40s. One glass of wine after dinner turned to 2-3 more after my wife and kids went to bed. 

For me, it was sleep. I realized the older I was getting, the more my body needed quality sleep, and didn’t function as well without enough quality sleep. And I read somewhere than 7 hours or so of sleep after drinking even a couple glasses is really like 4 hours because alcohol fucks up your deep sleep cycles. So when I cut out drinking on Sun- Thurs, my body felt the improvement from better sleep. Then when I hit 40 and started working out again, and because I needed to hit the gym super early in the morning, it was more of a reason to cut out the alcohol during the week.

But like you, it’s game on from Thanksgiving through New Year’s and while on vacation. And I’m like Dean Martin on Longhorn Game Day.

All the reason to take a month off in January to reset and cleanse the body. And for vanity sake, I look a little better when my body takes a break from drinking for a few weeks.

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I hear you, @troph

For me, I started drinking most weeknights as I was approaching my 40s. One glass of wine after dinner turned to 2-3 more after my wife and kids went to bed. 

For me, it was sleep. I realized the older I was getting, the more my body needed quality sleep, and didn’t function as well without enough quality sleep. And I read somewhere than 7 hours or so of sleep after drinking even a couple glasses is really like 4 hours because alcohol fucks up your deep sleep cycles. So when I cut out drinking on Sun- Thurs, my body felt the improvement from better sleep. Then when I hit 40 and started working out again, and because I needed to hit the gym super early in the morning, it was more of a reason to cut out the alcohol during the week.

But like you, it’s game on from Thanksgiving through New Year’s and while on vacation. And I’m like Dean Martin on Longhorn Game Day.

All the reason to take a month off in January to reset and cleanse the body. And for vanity sake, I look a little better when my body takes a break from drinking for a few weeks.

samesies. while right now I'm pretty far away from my healthy stride, by next month I'll be back. I much prefer the adrenaline of a sober workout and a cup of coffee or green tea in the morning after a good nights sleep over just about anything.  That drive has impacted my drinking and my food choices too.  Don't get me wrong, pizza is my go to and I have zero portion control on the fatass specials I crave on the weekends, chips and queso, etc. but when I have it dialed in I feel great.  strong, capable, engaged, alive, awake.  That's what I mean I guess.  as I age I have become more aware of the numbness alcohol brings, even though I love, love, love a sangria by the pool, and a scotch by the fire and a Ms. Santa Claus favorite - bordeaux while engaging in holiday festivities.  I think in the end, it's all about inflammation and balance and alcohol (and sugar whether straight sugar, processed carbs or sugar in alcohol) is my enemy #1 with inactivity my enemy #2. and the battle is epic, those enemies never seem to go away.

• Hook 'Em 2

As of this morning, down 6 lbs. Obviously most of that is water and very typical. That’s why I don’t like to start counting success until 10 lbs. I have always lost weight quickly. Until I am within 10 lbs of my fighting weight, then it’s pretty brutal to cut.

I just went through a 30 day cut program during Christmas. I mainly did it to learn how to cut the right way. It allowed me to drop back to pre-Christmas weight after eating / drinking like a king through the holidays.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As of this morning, down 6 lbs. Obviously most of that is water and very typical. That’s why I don’t like to start counting success until 10 lbs. I have always lost weight quickly. Until I am within 10 lbs of my fighting weight, then it’s pretty brutal to cut.

I pretend it's fat. don't care little lies to myself are harmless.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

One of the best and easiest way you can take control of your diet is to buy a $20 digital scale at Wal-Mart and start weighing your meals out. The overwhelming majority of society has a horrible grasp of portion size. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me they were only taking in 1400 calories a day when they were really at 2600, I would have Oprah money. Be accountable to yourself. Figure out what portion sizes really are and not what you think they are, and quit adding 600 calories a day to your intake in condiments. 

100% agree. I thought I was getting enough protein in my diet and properly hitting my macros. Decided to order a food scale on Amazon to get a better idea of what I was eating. I went from 188 to 180 just by weighing out my food for a 2500 calorie diet and counting calories using MyFitnessPal. Their macro function is pretty cool too. Just scan the barcode, enter the weight, and eat.

I also stopped eating condiments that have calories. Gotten into different hot sauces. Pickles are absolutely amazing for a snack if you’re hungry as well.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

you ate a donut off the floor ?

After consuming 100x the daily recommended amount of sugar every day from about thanksgiving on, and then going 4 days without any, yes I would have. The donut was that fucking good. But counter to what many here believe, we here in the Pasadena / la Porte area are moderately civilized.  He was kind enough to drop the box off on the kitchen counter. 

First 7 days are in. Kept it to 1650 cals average, and my cheat day ended up only being a little over 2000 calories. Hope my resolve is still there in 3-4 weeks when I can start pushing my legs a bit. 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:12 PM, Sbbruin said:

A great way to kick off your New Years diet is schedule a colonoscopy for Jan 5.  Shit out 3 pounds (yep, weighed myself pre prep and post procedure, and a full 3 lbs).  Also feels good to get everything out and refill with healthier food.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:24 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Mine's scheduled for the 10th.  Wasn't contemplating doing a pre and post weight, but now I am.

Update:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One week in and I've lost 8lbs. The first couple of days eating clean were tough. Getting back in the gym has made me feel better which I'm in a better mood. I cut the alcohol as well but will probably go off the rails on Saturday for a party. Wish me luck and if I can just maintain this week I'll be happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

One week on the Jiggy-Z super salad, OMAD, walking, no alcohol diet and I have

....gained .6 lbs.

Birthday weekend did me in.

How many calories can there be in a 22oz rib eye?

Approximately 1800, assuming not slathered in some sugary or buttery sauce. You did at least get 130 g of protein!

One week in and I've lost 8lbs. The first couple of days eating clean were tough. Getting back in the gym has made me feel better which I'm in a better mood. I cut the alcohol as well but will probably go off the rails on Saturday for a party. Wish me luck and if I can just maintain this week I'll be happy.

I’m about there with you. One week and 7.6 lbs.

I’m jealous of you seven and eight pounds dropping assholes.  I’m going to keep plugging at one per week.  I’ve increased my output each day so far and as soon as cedar gets a little more under control look out.

Honestly, 1 a week is good. 8 lbs this morning, but I assure you 5 of that is water. At about 10 lbs it becomes much more difficult (at least for me). Taking my meninas to Disney today, so for the next several days I will be doing a ton of walking. Going to try and not eat like shit. Hopefully by the time we get back I will be at 10 lbs.
  • Like 1

Do not eat a huge romaine and spinach salad while back at your condo for lunch only to return to the park for evening hours and have to shit your brains out in 102 degree weather at the bathroom by the cut through between Adventureland and Frontier land. Trust me. You're better off sticking with chicken tenders and Dole Whips and worrying about your diet when you get home. 

• Haha 1

Do not eat a huge romaine and spinach salad while back at your condo for lunch only to return to the park for evening hours and have to shit your brains out in 102 degree weather at the bathroom by the cut through between Adventureland and Frontier land. Trust me. You're better off sticking with chicken tenders and Dole Whips and worrying about your diet when you get home. 

Which year shat your pants thread do I need to read for the full story?
  • Like 1

Ate lunch during a meeting today. Cajun place at Enterprise plaza. Very tasty. But I’ve been tracking my calories and have no idea how to account for these. Had a large piece of meatloaf, cup of shrimp etouffee, and a cup of chicken and sausage gumbo. No rice with either cup. I will say I’m very hungry already 2 hours later. Don’t feel like I ate 800+ calories