2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Ate lunch during a meeting today. Cajun place at Enterprise plaza. Very tasty. But I’ve been tracking my calories and have no idea how to account for these. Had a large piece of meatloaf, cup of shrimp etouffee, and a cup of chicken and sausage gumbo. No rice with either cup. I will say I’m very hungry already 2 hours later. Don’t feel like I ate 800+ calories 

One of the many reasons why eating out while trying to lose weight is incredibly difficult.  Good luck.  If you do eat out, you can find chain restaurants have saved nutrition info in MFP.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My fitness pal app has those types of things in it. You don’t have to be exact, but be as honest as you can. Did the “cup” look like 1 cup or 2 cups? Best estimate will work for now.

Correct, I just guess most of the time.  I err on the side of putting in too much into MFP.  If something is a cup and I do a heaping cup, I'll put in 1.25 cups. 

Nice job everybody on the progress so far.  Keep at it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

One of the many reasons why eating out while trying to lose weight is incredibly difficult.  Good luck.  If you do eat out, you can find chain restaurants have saved nutrition info in MFP.

Correct, I just guess most of the time.  I err on the side of putting in too much into MFP.  If something is a cup and I do a heaping cup, I'll put in 1.25 cups. 

Nice job everybody on the progress so far.  Keep at it!

Yeah I generally do my best to estimate it and log it In MyFitnessPal, and this was not a chain. I don’t know if I way overestimated the calories or what, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. Broke down and had some low sugar oatmeal, blueberries, raisins, and milk. Not terribly unhealthy at least, but blew right by my 1500 cal/day goal. Have to start over again tomorrow and do better. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:08 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah I generally do my best to estimate it and log it In MyFitnessPal, and this was not a chain. I don’t know if I way overestimated the calories or what, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. Broke down and had some low sugar oatmeal, blueberries, raisins, and milk. Not terribly unhealthy at least, but blew right by my 1500 cal/day goal. Have to start over again tomorrow and do better. 

1500 is fucking low. Why is your caloric intake 1500?

Have you calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate and then adjusted for exercise, if you exercise?

I cycle between gains and cuts throughout the year so I am constantly trying to either keep a specific surplus or deficit of calories and none of that would be possible without baselining required calories then adjusting for physical activity. I don't know anything about you but unless you are a small framed woman 1500 would be too low.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F250 said:

Have you calculated your Basal Metabolic Rate and then adjusted for exercise, if you exercise?

I cycle between gains and cuts throughout the year so I am constantly trying to either keep a specific surplus or deficit of calories and none of that would be possible without baselining required calories then adjusting for physical activity. I don't know anything about you but unless you are a small framed woman 1500 would be too low.

1) I feel like I need to kickstart things a little. I’m not obese, but I treated myself like shit in 2021.

2) 1500 is my m-F goal.  I let myself mostly eat what I want on weekends, but tracking calories actually helps me (or guilts me) in to making better decisions on the weekend. Anyway, I end up around 1750 avg if i shoot for 1500 during the week. 

I plan to bump to 1650 in February depending on how things went the first month, and I’ll (probably) slowly adjust up every 2-3 weeks until I feel like I’m where I want to be. I do have control issues. If I give myself too much margin I’ll just eat a whole ducking box of Oreos.

Friday weigh in at 195.8. Making progress. Also somehow managed 2 weeks with no booze. 

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You are setting yourself up for failure by starting so drastically low, and then you’re planning to increase? You are literally doing it completely ass backwards

Says who?  Lots of people programs start that like that. It has worked for me in the past (lost 20-25 lbs right when child #2 and kept it off til March 2020). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, F250 said:

Yep.  Granted, I'm a bigger guy, but my BMR is somewhere around 2200-2300.  Add in exercise and I'm eating 2250 cals/day and losing weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't know if anyone else has tried a carb cycling diet, but the premise is that you eat enough protein that you make sure you don't lose any muscle mass while you lose fat.  Been working well so far, down 4# in a week and a half.  The hardest part, though, is eating enough protein.  you're supposed to eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of body mass.  That means I'm supposed to eat 275 grams of protein a day.  I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do that, but holy shit, it's hard.  I'm just finishing up my breakfast for today.  2 cups (raw) eggwhites cooked with, 1 oz shredded cheese, and some salt, pepper and salsa.  I've never eaten 2 cups of egg whites before.  Holy shit, it's a lot of eggs.  The container says it's 10 servings.  But 50g protein to start off the day.  I have probably 4-5 protein shakes a day, too.  But I feel good and I'm not hungry all the time, so that's a positive.

Edited by Chewbacca

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Don't know if anyone else has tried a carb cycling diet, but the premise is that you eat enough protein that you make sure you don't lose any muscle mass while you lose fat.  Been working well so far, down 4# in a week and a half.  The hardest part, though, is eating enough protein.  you're supposed to eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of body mass.  That means I'm supposed to eat 275 grams of protein a day.  I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do that, but holy shit, it's hard.  I'm just finishing up my breakfast for today.  2 cups (raw) eggwhites cooked with, 1 oz shredded cheese, and some salt, pepper and salsa.  I've never eaten 2 cups of egg whites before.  Holy shit, it's a lot of eggs.  The container says it's 10 servings.  But 50g protein to start off the day.  I have probably 4-5 protein shakes a day, too.  But I feel good and I'm not hungry all the time, so that's a positive.

Was eating 275-350g of protein a day in college my first year when I only weight 165.  Eating a dozen boiled eggs on the FW bus as my second meal at 7A. My roommates hated me. 

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  Granted, I'm a bigger guy, but my BMR is somewhere around 2200-2300.  Add in exercise and I'm eating 2250 cals/day and losing weight.

Right now I’m not exercising much other than walking and “beach body work out” (bench bis tris pull ups). Still getting over knee surgery. Without thinking, I squatted down yesterday and started pushing on something at work. Was thinking leg amputation might be less painful at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Was eating 275-350g of protein a day in college my first year when I only weight 165.  Eating a dozen boiled eggs on the FW bus as my second meal at 7A. My roommates hated me. 

I would much rather eat hard boiled eggs than all those egg whites, but the yolks have too much fat for my diet.  Fun times.  And yes, the protein farts are horrid.  

So on protein, the one gram a day per pound of body weight is a good measure if you have a high-intensity workout routine. If not, then you may be eating excess calories that will just be stored as fat.

Also, I read that your body can efficiently digest about 25-30 grams of protein at a time. Anything above that will be discarded in your bowels or stored as fat. So protein shakes that load you with 50 lbs of protein might sound good, but a lot of that protein will be going to waste.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That sounds a little sketchy. If you are losing significant weight you will inevitably lose muscle. That type of cycling doesn't seem ideal for weight loss but something meant for well conditioned athletes.

If you are 275 pounds you would probably be fine with the standard .08 g per lb. Do you lift? Probably easier to use a simple macro while lifting to reduce the loss of muscle mass.

So on protein, the one gram a day per pound of body weight is a good measure if you have a high-intensity workout routine. If not, then you may be eating excess calories that will just be stored as fat.
Also, I read that your body can efficiently digest about 25-30 grams of protein at a time. Anything above that will be discarded in your bowels or stored as fat. So protein shakes that load you with 50 lbs of protein might sound good, but a lot of that protein will be going to waste.
Yeah, i do HIIT workouts 3-4 times per week and ski 2 times per week. If i wasn't doing that, i wouldn't be on this diet.

That sounds a little sketchy. If you are losing significant weight you will inevitably lose muscle. That type of cycling doesn't seem ideal for weight loss but something meant for well conditioned athletes.
If you are 275 pounds you would probably be fine with the standard .08 g per lb. Do you lift? Probably easier to use a simple macro while lifting to reduce the loss of muscle mass.

Lots of weight training.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Protein intake needs to be spread out across the day which is why most lifters eat 4 to 5 meals a day. Getting in that many meals can be a pain in the ass. 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, F250 said:

Lots of weight training.

Pointing Agree GIF by HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE

• Like 1

Protein intake needs to be spread out across the day which is why most lifters eat 4 to 5 meals a day. Getting in that many meals can be a pain in the ass. 
Yes, feel like I'm constantly eating or having a shake.

I think i have only hit 275g once. Most days I'm north of 200, but short of 275.

No one ever got fat from eating too much protein. Never. Never ever. Never ever ever.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, F250 said:

No it doesn’t. This has been proven as “bro science”.

People with incredible disciple to count their macros can eat 50g of protein 4 times per day and lose weight. These folks control their fat intake and regulate carb intake up and down throughout the day to coincide with when they hit the gym.

275g of protein per day is an absolute ridiculous amount of protein and not necessary IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes, feel like I'm constantly eating or having a shake.

I think i have only hit 275g once. Most days I'm north of 200, but short of 275.

I would feel like absolute shit if I ate 275g of protein in a day. You realllllly don’t need that much. It’s expensive and unnecessary. Stick to 200g (which is 800 calories) and fill in with 250g of carbs (1000 calories) and the remaining with fat (9 calories per gram).

• Like 1

I would feel like absolute shit if I ate 275g of protein in a day. You realllllly don’t need that much. It’s expensive and unnecessary. Stick to 200g (which is 800 calories) and fill in with 250g of carbs (1000 calories) and the remaining with fat (9 calories per gram).

This. I shoot for 200g of protein. 100 of that is in two shakes. No way I can eat that much real food.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

No it doesn’t. This has been proven as “bro science”.

People with incredible disciple to count their macros can eat 50g of protein 4 times per day and lose weight. These folks control their fat intake and regulate carb intake up and down throughout the day to coincide with when they hit the gym.

275g of protein per day is an absolute ridiculous amount of protein and not necessary IMO.

I'm talking about protein absorption not losing weight.

Did you just disagree with me then repeat what I posted?

44 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm talking about protein absorption not losing weight.

Did you just disagree with me then repeat what I posted?

Protein absorption.  There's no conclusive evidence that points to having to spread out protein consumption throughout the day.  So many different studies have been done that have said yes and no that it's inconclusive. 

I'm tracking all my macros in My Fitness Pal. Sticking to 110 carbs 3 days, then one higher carb day where it goes up to 335. Protein stays constant. Fat goes down on high carb day.

Several people at my gym have had amazing results on this diet. There's more to it than i have posted, but it's working well so far.

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Protein absorption.  There's no conclusive evidence that points to having to spread out protein consumption throughout the day.  So many different studies have been done that have said yes and no that it's inconclusive. 

Hence the consensus of spreading out consumption over 4 or more meals rather than an unlimited amount over a couple of meals.

Man getting old is the suck. Went in for my twice a year checkup with my cardio and apparently my potassium is all fucked up and has him worried, so along with needing to go low carb already I’m also giving up peanut butter, red meat, bananas, and a variety of other things for a little while. Plain oatmeal and a bunch of salads have got me back down to my low point last summer quickly which is a plus. Think I am going to meet with a dietician at some point to tailor a diet around all his restrictions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Talked about this in the 2021 thread with @Herbie Hancock I ended getting a Prowler Rogue Butcher.

I started using it a couple of weeks ago. Use it on the driveway and sometimes grass. Just do Prowler walks with it at the moment. Tried some sprints with it but prefer walking it for 20 yards with a high weight load.

Still trying to find a good regimen to incorporate into my workouts. I am a Rippetoe acolyte so I've been reading up on his recommendations but if anyone has any good info, please share.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

I really enjoy pushing one way, then walking backwards pulling it the other way. Not a fan of harness work or dragging it forward. Probably all psychological, but that’s what I’ve found to be very productive for me personally.

I will try something like this. I've been doing a high bar push and returning with a low bar push. The low bar pushes are a bitch. Currently giving myself 90 second breaks pushing 50% max until I get comfortable with this as a replacement for my sprint workouts.

So y’all are doing football practice?  😀. Hated the sled as a freshman. Came to enjoy seeing how far we could push it in our given time as we got heavier and stronger.

Over half way through no alcohol January. The urge I had to go buy a case of Coors Light when I saw someone bringing a case to a picnic at the park this weekend makes me feel like I might need to spend some time in the alcoholics thread. 

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Over half way through no alcohol January. The urge I had to go buy a case of Coors Light when I saw someone bringing a case to a picnic at the park this weekend makes me feel like I might need to spend some time in the alcoholics thread. 

Meh, you want what you can't have. I have no desire to drink 95% of the time when I'm doing dry January, but when I'm at the store on the weekend and pass by the beer and wine aisle and see people loading their carts (at a time when I'd usually be doing the same) I briefly feel like I'm a kid again and for some reason I've grounded myself. 

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

So y’all are doing football practice?  😀. Hated the sled as a freshman. Came to enjoy seeing how far we could push it in our given time as we got heavier and stronger.

No but for the past 8 years or so my routine has become pretty similar to a football strength and conditioning off-season program where it's always the off-season. Kind of like Surly for the past decade.

Y’all gotta stop counting water weight as weight gain/loss.

Of course. That is why I mentioned earlier I don’t REALLY consider weight loss until the 10 lbs milestone. But I just wanted to contribute as sort of a log of progress and maybe the more people involved in the thread keeps others motivated.

Joining thread.

Started year at 205. I’m 5’11. Want to get down to 174 by may 1.

Steps to help achieve:
Quit drinking
Fasting 16-8
10k Steps a day
Strength training 4x week
Daily sauna
Daily calories between 1500 and 2000.

Currently at 195 but I know a lot of the quick loss is water and simply quitting booze.

Keep it up all!

Onward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Y’all gotta stop counting water weight as weight gain/loss.

This is just my opinion but I would recommend people only weigh themselves monthly just to keep a baseline. As you said, minor fluctuations are probably water weight and don't speak to body composition. The goal shouldn't be weight loss but fat loss.

Measuring yourself gives a better indication of fat loss than weighing since the scale doesn't differentiate between fat, muscle and water. Fat takes up a lot of space so when you see inches being reduced from your measurements you can be assured that you are shredding fat despite what the scale tells you.

This is really important for those that are lifting weights while trying to lose weight. If you are maintaining muscle mass or even gaining some while losing fat your weight might not change despite the fat going away.

• Hook 'Em 2

I weigh pretty regularly for the heck of it. Normally in the morning so I’m as dehydrated as I’ll be for the day. I’ve lost roughly 14 lbs since Nov. I can tell a little difference in how the belt and jeans fit. Ive just been eating a little less. I’m probably going to start increasing my exercise shortly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Managed to do 10 body weight squats before the inside of my knee had enough. Much progress. I think I can start on the stationary bike again. Hopefully be able to up my cardio intensity this weekend.

Been averaging right at 1700 cals a day with my 1500 weekday/whatever weekend since 1/1. I’m only down about 3 lbs, but pants are already a little more loose.