2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

I’m down about 45 (from 225, 5’10”) from six months ago. Was down 50, but Xmas and funeral eating bounced me up. I did it with Weight Watchers, which is a solid program. It incentivizes eating vegetables and fruit, discourages carbs and fat, and penalizes processed sugars. 
I didn’t want to lose muscle, but I’m 58 years old with a 12 year old daughter, so I both lacked the time for intensive weights work, and also feared injuring my old body. I settled on a regime of running and light dumb bell work. (Younger guys may want to skip this next part- you will be laughing at this old guy workout)
I have two 20# dumbbells. I am working from home, and three days per week I intersperse sets through my day. I stand with a dumbbell in each hand, and press them over my head 50 times. I do two sets of 50 curls with one in each hand. I do two sets of squats with both of them up at my shoulder (currently at 31 reps, with plans to build to 50, but am a little concerned about the sounds coming from my knees). 
Anyway, I have found this to be a very easy, low risk way to tone and preserve muscle. At 58, I have no illusions about what is possible- I just want to be fit for my age. Any thoughts or critiques?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Thanks. I was swimming laps at LA Fitness before the pandemic, but I let my membership lapse. Currently, I’m focusing my cardio on running. I can do a 5k in 26 minutes, but the 55-59 age group is so competitive that 26 minutes is usually good enough to finish just out of the awards. I’d like to get faster. I think my best options for that are- losing weight, running more miles per week (but time constraints) and squats. 

Squats with any or no weight are great for you.  But do watch out for your knee. Maybe try getting a brace that you can Velcro on before you start. And nothing wrong with high rep light weight dumbbell work, although I might be concerned doing that high reps on curls since the bis are so much smaller. Maybe some of the older guys can speak better toward that. 

7 hours ago, statsman said:

I’m down about 45 (from 225, 5’10”) from six months ago. Was down 50, but Xmas and funeral eating bounced me up. I did it with Weight Watchers, which is a solid program. It incentivizes eating vegetables and fruit, discourages carbs and fat, and penalizes processed sugars. 
I didn’t want to lose muscle, but I’m 58 years old with a 12 year old daughter, so I both lacked the time for intensive weights work, and also feared injuring my old body. I settled on a regime of running and light dumb bell work. (Younger guys may want to skip this next part- you will be laughing at this old guy workout)
I have two 20# dumbbells. I am working from home, and three days per week I intersperse sets through my day. I stand with a dumbbell in each hand, and press them over my head 50 times. I do two sets of 50 curls with one in each hand. I do two sets of squats with both of them up at my shoulder (currently at 31 reps, with plans to build to 50, but am a little concerned about the sounds coming from my knees). 
Anyway, I have found this to be a very easy, low risk way to tone and preserve muscle. At 58, I have no illusions about what is possible- I just want to be fit for my age. Any thoughts or critiques?

Running and engaging in very high rep resistance training can be problematic for your joints and ligaments if you are not careful with your form.

Proper form is absolutely necessary but when people engage in a very high amount of reps they tend to focus on making it to that last rep and lose sight of their form. Fatigue sets in but since the weight isn't heavy it's easy for muscles that shouldn't be engaged in the lift to get engaged without the lifter noticing, especially if one is rushing the lifts.

If you are going to continue down this path make sure you strictly adhere to proper form and take your time. Never rush just to make it through a set.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, statsman said:

At your age, staying limber and flexible can help so much more than high intensity heavy weight exercise. Do stretching/yoga 4/5 days per week for about 15 minutes in the AM. You’re around my mom age and she does this. She has always had issues with her back but through routine stretching, she’s still up downhill skiing with the teenagers and 20 year olds. 

Thing is, older folks can still do all the things younger folks can do, only to a lesser extreme IF your joints and muscles are stretched appropriately. If you pull a muscle, your body has a harder time recovering than a 20 or 30 year old. You’re really doing what you need to be doing to be successful. Just keep your diet in check and you’re good!

I’ll read up, catch up, and truly hope everyone the best.

My quick recap. 6’3” 312 on Jan 1. Already tired of the way food was making me feel basically day in and day out. Absolutely shit. Got to where just standing up would hurt my knees. Long walks would hurt my feet and ankles. I have pretty bad gout also and my diet obviously was exacerbating that. I drink every now and again but rarely like weekend benders.

Well I decided this was finally the year. I’m getting back under 220. My biggest problem (at least in my non professional opinion) is portion control. Go out eat and I’d eat my plate then finish off wife’s plate and one of the kid’s plate. I had already started eating better but I guess it was too late. I’ve had to go to the ER three GD times in three weeks with severe gastritis. Been on all kinds of meds daily and even yesterday it was 15/10 pain and I wasn’t breathing. Go get my gastro cocktail and they finally send me home with pain meds. In general I’ve tried to avoid them but needed them. So yesterday step on the scale and I’m already down to 283. I know this is largely because I literally can’t eat and when I do basically force it down in pain. Crazily I’ve already noticed my knees and feet don’t hurt when standing up. Don’t expect that much progress every month, but it’s a hell of a start.

Good luck everyone

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I noticed at my high weight, my expanded gut would pressure my rib cage, causing pain when I folded wrong. And my feet could get sore. When I went to jog, my knees would be sore at first, before warming up. 
Now, no knee, feet or rib pain. My wife says I don’t snore that much anymore, so I’m probably sleeping better. 
Portion control- if you’re like me, you probably have a hard time throwing food away. We need to get Used to doing that. 
Good luck!

Edited by statsman
  • Like 1

I noticed at my high weight, my expanded gut would pressure my rib cage, causing pain when I folded wrong. And my feet could get sore. When I went to jog, my knees would be sore at first, before warming up. 
Now, no knee, feet or rib pain. My wife says I don’t snore that much anymore, so I’m probably sleeping better. 
Portion control- if you’re like me, you probably have a hard time throwing food away. We need to get Used to doing that. 
Good luck!

Or stop eating at restaurants. If you do go, plan a head. Take half home or share a plate.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Or stop eating at restaurants. If you do go, plan a head. Take half home or share a plate.

Chips and salsa are my kryptonite. I’ll eat 2-4 baskets by myself before food come out with tons of salt added. Won’t be able to get my ring on/off by the time I’m done. Not even hungry when my food comes out, but I eat it and another basket or 2 of chips 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Chips and salsa are my kryptonite. I’ll eat 2-4 baskets by myself before food come out with tons of salt added. Won’t be able to get my ring on/off by the time I’m done. Not even hungry when my food comes out, but I eat it and another basket or 2 of chips 

Goddamn man.  

That's making my lips chap and throat parch just reading that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wow. I feel guilty if my wife and I kill a basket and maybe half another.

Do. Not. Go. Eat. TexMex.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah we went to Mexican on Saturday, already a bad call.  And the chips were flowing.  It was all I could to refrain, at least compared to what I usually do.  And went chicken fajitas.  But by the time we were done, it was definitely a major cheat meal.  Mexican food in general is a major weakness.

My absolute killers in no particular order

Tex Mex in general- it’s a bowl of queso, Bowl of salsa, my meal, tortillas cleaning whatever sauce or rice and beans may be left and probably what the wife doesn’t finish

Cheeseburgers and fries- a single should be plenty but always the the double

Popeyes Spicy chicken tenders

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah we went to Mexican on Saturday, already a bad call.  And the chips were flowing.  It was all I could to refrain, at least compared to what I usually do.  And went chicken fajitas.  But by the time we were done, it was definitely a major cheat meal.  Mexican food in general is a major weakness.

Ceviche or fish tacos is your friend at a Mexican restaurant.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Yeah but tortilla chips taste good. Salsa tastes good.

They could be mediocre chips and salsa.  But if you put free chips, rolls, breadsticks, etc. in front of the average hungry American diner while they're sipping on their beer or cocktail before the food comes, they're going to eat it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I need a zero calorie chip replacement. And don’t tell me celery. 

Carrot slices. lol

One time I stopped at a restaurant for lunch that my ex-wife wanted to try out. The waiter arrives with a bowl of sliced carrots. I ask if they have anything else and the waiter says sliced celery then explains it was a vegan restaurant. "Are chips not vegan?" I ask, the waiter then explains it's a Vegan Raw Food restaurant.

I just looked at my wife.

Incredulous Bill Murray GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by F250
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm convinced that chips and salsa are one of the Top 5 reasons we have become a nation of fatties.

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Tex Mex in general- it’s a bowl of queso, Bowl of salsa, my meal, tortillas cleaning whatever sauce or rice and beans may be left and probably what the wife doesn’t finish

https://www.reddit.com/r/thisiswhyyourefat/

Today's top post:  Chicken and Waffle Pizza

d1jqe718r0581.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

43 minutes ago, F250 said:

Carrot slices. lol

One time I stopped at a restaurant for lunch that my ex-wife wanted to try out. The waiter arrives with a bowl of sliced carrots. I ask if they have anything else and the waiter says sliced celery then explains it was a vegan restaurant. "Are chips not vegan?" I ask, the waiter then explains it's a Vegan Raw Food restaurant.

I just looked at my wife.

Incredulous Bill Murray GIF by reactionseditor

I understand why she is your ex. 

This is the struggle for most people. I never understood it until I had kids, but the convenience factor of eating out or driving thru somewhere is incredibly appealing when you’ve had a long day of work/kids.

One thing I did even before having kids was to meal prep in bulk. Twice a week I cook several pounds of chicken, a pound of cod or tilapia, and 3-4 cups of jasmine rice depending on what time of year it is in relation to my goals. Sometimes when I’m feeling frisky I’ll make big batch of Spanish rice. Leave the oil and it’s almost calorically identical to plain jasmine rice. I keep a big bag of broccoli as well as it usually lasts a week or so for me. Easy, quick, and most of all convenient.

Shrimp is another super lean, easy source of protein. I believe HEB sells some in the meat market already cooked for $9/pound.
  • Like 1

There are a few ways of handling Mexican restaurants while dieting-

1. Make a plan before you get there, understanding the menu and knowing what you will eat and drink, and in what amounts. Maybe you substitute chicken or shrimp fajitas for beef. Corn tortillas for flour. Forego the sour cream and guac. Light beer instead of margarita. Limit the chips to a predetermined number. 
2. Decide that this is your cheat meal. Skip lunch, exercise in advance, enjoy yourself and maybe make up for it the next day. 
3. Fuck it. Just go and enjoy yourself and don’t worry about it. Hell, you weren’t losing weight and keeping it off, anyway. 

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

There are a few ways of handling Mexican restaurants while dieting-

1. Make a plan before you get there, understanding the menu and knowing what you will eat and drink, and in what amounts. Maybe you substitute chicken or shrimp fajitas for beef. Corn tortillas for flour. Forego the sour cream and guac. Light beer instead of margarita. Limit the chips to a predetermined number. 
2. Decide that this is your cheat meal. Skip lunch, exercise in advance, enjoy yourself and maybe make up for it the next day. 
3. Fuck it. Just go and enjoy yourself and don’t worry about it. Hell, you weren’t losing weight and keeping it off, anyway. 

I'll take No. 3 with the Extreme Fajitas and a schooner of Shiner, please.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Isn't that just the produce section of HEB?

Yeah but more like the packaged pre-cut vegetable section where you buy the zucchini noodles and power slaw and organic dressing.

Actually, I shop the shit out of that section because it's convenient and they have some great options.

My pull-up tree that was also the kids climbing tree in the backyard took a hit during that higher wind cold front we had in October last year. Wife got me a power tower (pull-ups, dips, ab leg lift movement).  Finally out it together today. Might not be able to lift my arms tomorrow!  Is nice to have a quick way to go do pull-ups again 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't know if it's been said in this thread, but simple intermittent fasting worked wonders for me and the two other people I know who have tried it. I changed nothing about what I eat or drink at all and lost 30 .lbs in four months.  All I do is eat/drink everything I need to have all day between noon and 8 p.m., then go 16 hours without eating.  I'm not sure why it works as well as it does but ... dang.  My abs are back, baby.  I don't have a six pack yet but they've visible. 

I don't know if it's been said in this thread, but simple intermittent fasting worked wonders for me and the two other people I know who have tried it. I changed nothing about what I eat or drink at all and lost 30 .lbs in four months.  All I do is eat/drink everything I need to have all day between noon and 8 p.m., then go 16 hours without eating.  I'm not sure why it works as well as it does but ... dang.  My abs are back, baby.  I don't have a six pack yet but they've visible. 

Can I ask how old you are? I just started this exact plan three weeks ago along with stopping drinking. Have lost 10 pounds (I drank a lot …) and I’m sure the pace of weight loss will slow down . 25 more pounds to go so that would be 35 in 4 months. Trying to go from 205 to 170. 5’11”.

I just think slowing metabolism is gonna slow my efforts soon. Age 56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Can I ask how old you are? I just started this exact plan three weeks ago along with stopping drinking. Have lost 10 pounds (I drank a lot …) and I’m sure the pace of weight loss will slow down . 25 more pounds to go so that would be 35 in 4 months. Trying to go from 205 to 170. 5’11”.

I just think slowing metabolism is gonna slow my efforts soon. Age 56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was 58 last year.  Just stick with it.  I didn't even really try. All I did was modify the time that I eat. Not sure why it works.

I’m 58 and slowing metabolism didn’t hinder my six month, 50# loss to 175# as much as I expected. I do think it’s important to mix exercise in, both to keep metabolism up and to preserve (and maybe even build) muscle mass. 
(My experience- as we age, it takes longer for the moobs to go away, but they can) 

Another lesson learned- hydrate. When losing weight the right way, water in your body helps make the diet work. On the other hand, dehydrating to get a good number at a scheduled weigh in is not only not productive, it can lead to kidney stones that blow the whole plan. 

Edited by statsman

There is some great work being done in this thread, keep it up

A little "Inspiration 4" you... as a huge space buff and someone who did try and win a seat on this SpaceX launch, kinda hits home how much it would have sucked.

The guy who won the lottery to go to space was too overweight and had to give his ticket and once in a lifetime chance away.

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/story/inspiration-4-mission-spacex-elon-musk-kyle-hippchen-jared-issacman-1905653-2022-01-28

199 on my weigh in at the beginning of the month. 193 today. Going to bump my weekday calories to 1650 on Monday.  Will definitely be having a few beers Sunday, but I’m only going to buy singles so I’m not tempted to have one or two every night. 

• Hook 'Em 1