2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

Feeling good this week.  We're in the middle of a 6 week strength block at the gym I go to.  Have been doing deadlifts, squats, bench and shoulder press for the past month.  Trying to find 10 rep max.  We do that for the first 25 min and then do cardio for the next 25 min.  

This morning I deadlifted 275# 10 times and 2 days ago I squatted 255# 10 times.  Not quite as happy with bench (175#) or shoulder press (110#), but I've made a ton of progress in just a month.  It feels really good to get back to lifting heavy things, and more muscle = higher metabolism, so it helps lose fat, too.  So far I'm down 12#.  Probably 14-15# of fat since I know I've gained muscle the past couple of months.

• Hook 'Em 2

Question for the runners on this thread... 

I'm new distance running. But I signed up for next year's Houston half. Signed up for the Austin 10k as my first '22 milestone. Last Wed hit 6.4 miles for the first time! On the upside, cardio conditioning felt fine, wasn't out of breath. But holy hell my legs were fatigued. Took 2 days off from running but still rode Peloton and went to my F45 classes. I tried to match that effort again last Sunday and my legs weren't having any of it. By mile 3 it was done. 

Will it just take time to build up the muscle stamina? Any other tips/suggestions and any shoe recommendations? New Balance for me are nice and wide but toe box is a bit narrow. And I find the reverse with Hokas. Just let my feet get used to the shoe? Any particular brand exist there that solves my issue of having wide feet?

3 hours ago, YChang said:

I'm new distance running. But I signed up for next year's Houston half. Signed up for the Austin 10k as my first '22 milestone. Last Wed hit 6.4 miles for the first time! On the upside, cardio conditioning felt fine, wasn't out of breath. But holy hell my legs were fatigued. Took 2 days off from running but still rode Peloton and went to my F45 classes. I tried to match that effort again last Sunday and my legs weren't having any of it. By mile 3 it was done. 

Will it just take time to build up the muscle stamina? Any other tips/suggestions and any shoe recommendations? New Balance for me are nice and wide but toe box is a bit narrow. And I find the reverse with Hokas. Just let my feet get used to the shoe? Any particular brand exists there that solves my issue of having wide feet?

If you're going to run that much find a running store and have them fit you.  

My wife had knee soreness all the time with her Brooks shoes.  We went to a running store and they figured out what was wrong and got her in a shoe that works for her. Knee problems went away almost the next day.  

The one in Waco we went to was awesome.  Everyone there are runners and they were extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

As far as your legs go I would say make sure you're taking rest days.  Rest from running or Peleton.  They sound fatigued to me.

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, YChang said:

Will it just take time to build up the muscle stamina? Any other tips/suggestions and any shoe recommendations? New Balance for me are nice and wide but toe box is a bit narrow. And I find the reverse with Hokas. Just let my feet get used to the shoe? Any particular brand exist there that solves my issue of having wide feet?

Not a runner at all, but my wife is.  She runs half and full marathons, with a 3:46 as her best full time. 

Her advice:  legs will get built up in time.  Treadmill can help, but running on harder surfaces is the key.  

As for shoes, is there a running shoe store where you are?  There's a place in Tulsa that she goes to and they have her run on a treadmill, film her stride, etc and fit specific shoes for training and racing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My annual "Oh shit beach season is almost here"  weight drop is going well this year.

Same thing everyday works for me.

Food:

Breakfast:

140 calories (1.5 cups) Cheerios

80 calories Fairlife Skim Milk (1 cup with 1/2 being in cereal and 1/2 being in milk)

100 calories banana

Total: 400ish (I always over estimate when cutting and under estimate when bulking)

Lunch:

80 calories Salad (Spinach, carrots, blackberries, strawberries)

180 calorie protein bar

Dr Pepper Zero

Black Coffee for energy for run

Total: 300ish (700ish for the day)

Dinner: 1,000 calories of whatever I want. Usually quite a bit of protein and some Skinny Pop to end the day

Total: 1,700ish calories.

Exercise:

5k a day 5 or 6 days a week mostly on lunch break. Sometimes running and sometimes walking depending on mood and weather.

Weight

Mar 8 - 165.6

March 25 - 160.8

Resting Heart Rate: 

Mar 10 - 57 bpm

Mar 25 - 53 bpm

Next Stop: 

Lose 4 or 5 more pounds then do a slow bulk/cut rotation. I need to be less lazy with my lifting schedule.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

My annual "Oh shit beach season is almost here"  weight drop is going well this year.

Same thing everyday works for me.

Food:

Breakfast:

140 calories (1.5 cups) Cheerios

80 calories Fairlife Skim Milk (1 cup with 1/2 being in cereal and 1/2 being in milk)

100 calories banana

Total: 400ish (I always over estimate when cutting and under estimate when bulking)

Lunch:

80 calories Salad (Spinach, carrots, blackberries, strawberries)

180 calorie protein bar

Dr Pepper Zero

Black Coffee for energy for run

Total: 300ish (700ish for the day)

Dinner: 1,000 calories of whatever I want. Usually quite a bit of protein and some Skinny Pop to end the day

Total: 1,700ish calories.

Exercise:

5k a day 5 or 6 days a week mostly on lunch break. Sometimes running and sometimes walking depending on mood and weather.

Weight

Mar 8 - 165.6

March 25 - 160.8

Resting Heart Rate: 

Mar 10 - 57 bpm

Mar 25 - 53 bpm

Next Stop: 

Lose 4 or 5 more pounds then do a slow bulk/cut rotation. I need to be less lazy with my lifting schedule.

That will be good for weight loss, but I guarantee you're losing muscle because you're not eating enough protein.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

That will be good for weight loss, but I guarantee you're losing muscle because you're not eating enough protein.

Well I've been pumping in close to 100g of protein at dinner most nights with the 13g at breakfast and 20g at lunch that's more than enough. I do wonder how much of the protein I'm taking in before dinner is workable for my body though (especially the 13g in the skim milk). I'm sure I'm losing quite a bit of muscle as I'm losing weight fairly quick and haven't kept up with my lifting routine as well as my running routine. Oh well, something to work on when I hit 155 and push back to 160.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well I've been pumping in close to 100g of protein at dinner most nights with the 13g at breakfast and 20g at lunch that's more than enough. I do wonder how much of the protein I'm taking in before dinner is workable for my body though (especially the 13g in the skim milk). I'm sure I'm losing quite a bit of muscle as I'm losing weight fairly quick and haven't kept up with my lifting routine as well as my running routine. Oh well, something to work on when I hit 155 and push back to 160.

Are you sure you're getting 100g at dinner?  You could eat an entire 16 oz ribeye and not get 100g of protein.

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Are you sure you're getting 100g at dinner?  You could eat an entire 16 oz ribeye and not get 100g of protein.

I try! Last night for example

24 chick fil a nuggets + spinach + whey for dessert.

Roughly 800 calories and 80g protein for the nuggets plus a protein shake put me there. 

There is one problem with that meal though...

Can I take a shit? Not happening

Really though the Cheerios and salads help a lot in that department. This isn't long term, but I do keep the shit ton of spinach, strawberries, and blackberries in there year round. Most of the year I'm well over 100% of my fiber as I'm a lentil and bean ho. So being below that threshold can back up my system pretty good.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Does anyone use Athletic Greens or something similar?  What are your thoughts if you do?  I should eat more greens, but I just don't.  Wondering if this would be a good substitute for that.  I used to make green smoothies, but I stopped that.

Powder ain't a leaf.

Seriously though if you aren't going to eat veggies, then it almost has to be better than nothing.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Powder ain't a leaf.

Seriously though if you aren't going to eat veggies, then it almost has to be better than nothing.

I eat veggies regularly.  Just not enough according to my bloodwork.  I have no issues shitting.

Edited by Chewbacca

On 3/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, Post Oak said:

My wife and I started the 75Hard challenge.  4days in so far.  

We were in a rut and needed to get out.  So far so good. My body is tired but I've been going to bed earlier which is great.  My BiL did this last year at this time and lost 37 lbs.  I'd be ecstatic with half that.

3.5lbs down in 7 days.  Walks every morning. Will probably start running next morning.  I've done yoga 3 times this week and it's been extremely beneficial. 

Kettlebell HIIT, TRX and pushups other days.

Been IF trying to eat between about 11-2. That way I have two workouts on an empty stomach.  Don't know if it actually works but it makes sense to me.

Focused on  reducing portion size and staying away from carbs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with those above on running shoe stores. Sure, you can save $20-30 by picking your own shoes and buying on sale. I used to take that approach, too. Now, I have a local running shoe store that I use (Arlington’s “The Runner”). They diagnose my stride, insist I try several shoes before buying, sponsor a local running club, and have a. $-saving points program. 

Your legs will get stronger. Distance helps. So do squats. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

First, congratulations that is a huge success! Second, please please please don’t use that horribly outdated metric as a barometer for your success. Use the mirror and the scale. According to the BMI charts I am at 30.6 and considered morbidly obese.

Yeah, I get that.  The BMI chart shows I could be a normal weight at 152 pounds.  I'd have to be dead 3 weeks, not embalmed, and left out in the West Texas sun to be 152 pounds.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, pearlandhorn said:

10k went very well on Saturday.  My wife placed 3rd in her division at around a 56:30 10k (not blazing fast, only 30 or so in her division) but still a very cool accomplishment.  I got 6th in my division at 54:15 which is a good run for me.

I have my first official 10k in Austin this Sunday! I'm really curious how different I'll feel mentally/physically when I'm done compared to solo training. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Officially hit 50.4 pounds of weight loss this morning.  Down 19.36% of total body weight since starting in mid-August.  Looking to drop at least another 22.4 pounds to get to "normal" BMI.

Awesome work!

I am down about 8 lbs for the year, but I strained/tore an intercostal muscle and it's fucked me up this past week.  No tennis, no lifting, all I can do is jump rope, light jogging, and leg stretching without using my upper body.  Hell I can't sneeze without serious pain now.  Went to the doc to make sure it wasn't something else because it hurts like hell in your lung when you take a deep breath.

And my wife (no fucking pics, pervs) is assisting now by just about eliminating gluten from our foods.  That is going to turbocharge things hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is interested in this but NEJM just posted an article about effectiveness of time based eating restrictions. Their conclusions was this

Among patients with obesity, a regimen of time-restricted eating was not more beneficial with regard to reduction in body weight, body fat, or metabolic risk factors than daily calorie restriction.

nejmfat.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Not sure if anyone is interested in this but NEJM just posted an article about effectiveness of time based eating restrictions. Their conclusions was this

nejmfat.jpg

Not a huge surprise that the intake of the same number of calories leads to the same amount of weight loss whether eaten in a restricted window or not.   

Most people, however, will eat more calories in three meals than they do in two and more in two than in one. 

• Like 1

When I weighed 50# more, I still “ran” 5ks with my 12 year old daughter. I was amused how, chugging along at an 11 minute mile pace, I would come up on a runner that was taking a walk break, who would see me and start running again (they weren’t going to be passed by the fat old man)! I joked that I was the “inspirer”, getting the slackers to run it out😄

This past weekend I ran the Dallas Skyline 5k. I was happy with my time (26:19 doesn’t sound great, but it was hot and windy, and I got second in my age group of 55-59), but was amused when a young lady (slim, appeared to be a runner) passed me a third of the way in, but was caught by me in the second half when she started walking.  You guessed it- she started running again. A little down the road she walked again, and again started running when I pulled even. I still got it! (I must look like hell when I’m running)

(Are any of you running the Velvet Hammer 5k at Peticolas, this weekend?)

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, pearlandhorn said:

For the past 4 years, I've never deadlifted.  Mainly out of fear of fucking up my back.  Decided to incorporate it as I already do all other barbell exercises (squat, bench, row).  Holy shit am I sore.  I can see myself doing this from now on.

Use good form and a good weight belt and you are good to go.  I love deadlifting and squatting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Update - down 10 lbs for the year and what has finally got the ball rolling is getting rid of gluten.  Main casualty is my favorite beer but I am  feeling 10x better right now and less hunger too.  

The best part is it seems to have come off my gut first.

• Hook 'Em 1

Took the prowler on the grass this morning. Normally use it on concrete. Tried to keep it under twenty minutes but it dragged out to 28 minutes.

3 sprints 95 pounds at 30 yards. Felt pretty good.

1 walk at 125 pounds at 40 yards. Felt ok.

2 grueling slow walks at 165 at 40 yards. I laughed then I cried. Snot bubbles and a little puking.

• Haha 3

I'm going to be upping my calorie intake by adding another meal.  Macro goal is 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat and going to try and hit 2,500 calories/day and keep it consistent over the next two weeks to see where I'm weighing middle of May.  I'd like to put on some weight over the summer and bring my lifts up.  Got a half marathon to train for in the fall so I know my gym sessions will be lighter with my training for that going up.

Goals (1RPM):

Squat: 315 (currently 265), Bench: 265 (currently 245), Deadlift 350 (currently 195 - just started this a few weeks ago).  Current weight is 178.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I'm going to be upping my calorie intake by adding another meal.  Macro goal is 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat and going to try and hit 2,500 calories/day and keep it consistent over the next two weeks to see where I'm weighing middle of May.  I'd like to put on some weight over the summer and bring my lifts up.  Got a half marathon to train for in the fall so I know my gym sessions will be lighter with my training for that going up.

Goals (1RPM):

Squat: 315 (currently 265), Bench: 265 (currently 245), Deadlift 350 (currently 195 - just started this a few weeks ago).  Current weight is 178.

Might be challenging to increase mass and strength while training for the marathon. Increasing the calories helps but all the running will interfere with your strength gains. Endurance training will likely mess with recovery and lower your volume which makes it really difficult to increase strength.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, F250 said:

Might be challenging to increase mass and strength while training for the marathon. Increasing the calories helps but all the running will interfere with your strength gains. Endurance training will likely mess with recovery and lower your volume which makes it really difficult to increase strength.

Oh yeah, I agree. I’m really going to mainly focus on strength and gaining a few pounds over the summer. When football season hits and it starts to cool off, I’ll start running more and scaling back the strengthening plan. I’ll still lift, but running will take priority.

Throughout the summer, I’ll be running probably twice a week or so. Nothing huge in terms of distance just because of the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ran the Velvet Hammer 5k this morning at the Peticolas Brewery. Almost 900 racers. It was warm (74F) and muggy. I figured 26 minutes would be a good goal, so I focused on not going faster than an 8:20 pace the first mile (got passed by plenty). The last mile, I was passing them. Finished in 25:57. 

B95274A4-1B02-432E-8145-5D4654FE42AB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Had a blast running the Austin 10k. I highly recommend it for all as part of their cardio fitness journey. Heck for those not able to run the whole thing you can even walk it. The music made it so much fun. Nothing like a mariachi band to play you off from the starting line.

Signed up for the 1/2 marathon in Houston in October. Will be a good test for the next one in Jan 23.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/1/2022 at 5:09 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Update.

20 lbs. since Jan 1.   

I wore a pair of shorts today that I've not worn since 2011 or so.  And I'm about to the point that I will need some new belts.  

Good job.  I'm four notches into a belt that I couldn't wear at all when I started.

• Hook 'Em 2