2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

On the lulz page, there is a thread about geriatric sprinters. That leads to something I coming around to believing-

As we age, we (men and women) need to focus strength training on our legs, prioritized over upper body. When we start training in our youth, we tend to focus on upper body, because our legs tend to take care of themselves through games, running and jumping. Biology helps by driving leg bone and muscle growth. It’s the upper body that really benefits from strength training when young. 

As we age, we lose bone density and muscle mass, and don’t notice, because aging lifestyles call for less activity (in most cases). You can really see the difference, though, in the strength and mobility of septuagenarians that have taken care of their leg strength, compared to those that haven’t. Want to stay out of the scooter? Work on leg strength and balance as you age. That will have the greatest benefit for your old age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

On the lulz page, there is a thread about geriatric sprinters. That leads to something I coming around to believing-

As we age, we (men and women) need to focus strength training on our legs, prioritized over upper body. When we start training in our youth, we tend to focus on upper body, because our legs tend to take care of themselves through games, running and jumping. Biology helps by driving leg bone and muscle growth. It’s the upper body that really benefits from strength training when young. 

As we age, we lose bone density and muscle mass, and don’t notice, because aging lifestyles call for less activity (in most cases). You can really see the difference, though, in the strength and mobility of septuagenarians that have taken care of their leg strength, compared to those that haven’t. Want to stay out of the scooter? Work on leg strength and balance as you age. That will have the greatest benefit for your old age. 

Do you even leg day, bro?

In all seriousness, I 100% agree.  I tell my mom (who is 63) to just work on power body mainly.  Squats, modified deadlifts, lunges, etc.  Core strengthening exercises are best as we age.  However, it's always quite humorous to see the guys in the gym that have massive upper bodies and twigs as legs. 

I hit 275 on squat.  Solidly working towards the goal of a 315 squat by the end of the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:08 PM, statsman said:

Ran the Velvet Hammer 5k this morning at the Peticolas Brewery. Almost 900 racers. It was warm (74F) and muggy. I figured 26 minutes would be a good goal, so I focused on not going faster than an 8:20 pace the first mile (got passed by plenty). The last mile, I was passing them. Finished in 25:57. 

B95274A4-1B02-432E-8145-5D4654FE42AB.jpeg

I remember the very first time I drank Velvet Hammer. Beer was never the same after tasting that nectar of the gods.

2001a-space-odyssey-2001.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, statsman said:

Friend of mine is also my chiropractor (he's not one of the quacks).  Says the difference between his patients who took care of themselves and those who don't is night and day.  And strength training is a big part of that.

Ok I could use some help so here goes.  You guys are normally pretty chill on the other Surly boards I visit so I hope you don't mind an outsider. 

I play a lot of tennis and run but my weight has really gotten out of hand over the last year or so.   I'm really trying hard this year and have made some progress, but my upper body is really weak and I'm ready to do something about it.  I stay busy during the week with tennis and running so I don't see myself signing up for a gym.  What I really want to do is buy some of my own weights to use in the garage.  Help me figure out what types of equipment to buy, and maybe some exercises I can do every day with what I have to at least tone up and build some muscle.  I wasn't planning to buy a huge weight bench thing, moreso maybe some freeweights but I have no idea what to get.   I'm probably making this whole thing a lot more complicated than it has to be but I definitely have no idea where to start.  Thanks from a Demon Deacon🎩

2 hours ago, iodeac said:

Ok I could use some help so here goes.  You guys are normally pretty chill on the other Surly boards I visit so I hope you don't mind an outsider. 

I play a lot of tennis and run but my weight has really gotten out of hand over the last year or so.   I'm really trying hard this year and have made some progress, but my upper body is really weak and I'm ready to do something about it.  I stay busy during the week with tennis and running so I don't see myself signing up for a gym.  What I really want to do is buy some of my own weights to use in the garage.  Help me figure out what types of equipment to buy, and maybe some exercises I can do every day with what I have to at least tone up and build some muscle.  I wasn't planning to buy a huge weight bench thing, moreso maybe some freeweights but I have no idea what to get.   I'm probably making this whole thing a lot more complicated than it has to be but I definitely have no idea where to start.  Thanks from a Demon Deacon🎩

Why not join a gym? 

1 hour ago, iodeac said:

I am very bias but only because I believe that compound lifting is a great way to gain strength in the most efficient manner possible. So I would suggest compound lifting. It will strengthen your core and frame while boosting your metabolism.

Being a fan of Rippetoe I will suggest his Starting Strength program. Here is an overview of the beginner program. 

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Example of the most common compound lifts. As you can see these involve a barbell so that is something to take into consideration. Cost and space.

3f1f47eacc4f52dd81733e200de54cb0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for the information, F250 & Pearland.  I keep saying that I'm going to start strength training, but I've done close to zero weight training in my life.  Most of my exercise cam from training for and doing triathlons - which I retired from after completing the Escape From Alcatraz triathlon in 2015.

I'm in my early 50s now and haven't exercised significantly for the past 5 years.  I've dropped close to 60 pounds through diet, but I need to build up some strength.  Will be rejoining the local Y and might just bite the bullet and enlist the assistance of a personal trainer for a while.  I'm mostly concerned about doing lifting incorrectly and ending up with back or other issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, iodeac said:

What I really want to do is buy some of my own weights to use in the garage.  Help me figure out what types of equipment to buy, and maybe some exercises I can do every day with what I have to at least tone up and build some muscle.  I wasn't planning to buy a huge weight bench thing, moreso maybe some freeweights but I have no idea what to get.   I'm probably making this whole thing a lot more complicated than it has to be but I definitely have no idea where to start.  Thanks from a Demon Deacon🎩

Free weights are definitely awesome but you should also consider getting coached up on kettlebells. Its an awesome tool and you can do damn near anything. About the only thing you really need to supplement is pecs so you can cover that with pushups. Space and time efficient and will be great for your flexible strength. 

And +1 on back squats. I am going to school on the low back squat. Taking some mastery but I am liking it better than the high squat, even though we are only talking about a few inches [thats what she said]

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Most of my exercise cam from training for and doing triathlons - which I retired from after completing the Escape From Alcatraz triathlon in 2015.

Damn, that's impressive.  On a sad note, that's the triathlon at which Sam Ehlinger's dad passed away two years earlier.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm in my early 50s now and haven't exercised significantly for the past 5 years.  I've dropped close to 60 pounds through diet, but I need to build up some strength.  Will be rejoining the local Y and might just bite the bullet and enlist the assistance of a personal trainer for a while.  I'm mostly concerned about doing lifting incorrectly and ending up with back or other issues.

I went a very long time without strength training. Started with a personal trainer at 50. I am putting up some numbers but more importantly my back and knee discomfort are gone and I am much stronger across the board. Do it but make sure you get coached up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A little more than half way through the 75Hard challenge.  Today was the 1st day that I'm not working out 2x.  None today.  My body is tired from running, walking, TRX, bodyweight exercises and kettlebells.  Just beat. 

What I've noticed is that I look different.  I'm down 10lbs in about 40days which is fine although I wish it was more.  I just need to realize that I'm in my early 40s and its not going to come off as easy as it once did.  

All in all I'm pretty happy and If I can lose another 8-10lbs over the next month I'll be ecstatic.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm mostly concerned about doing lifting incorrectly and ending up with back or other issues.

This is a legitimate concern. Learning proper form before engaging in a resistance training program is very important. Stick to light weights until the form is nailed down. A good coach can make a big difference just make sure they are the right fit for your goals. If you are interested in strength training than make sure you get someone that will teach you proper form and not pilates or some shit. Research and shop around.

• Hook 'Em 1

A little more than half way through the 75Hard challenge.  Today was the 1st day that I'm not working out 2x.  None today.  My body is tired from running, walking, TRX, bodyweight exercises and kettlebells.  Just beat. 
What I've noticed is that I look different.  I'm down 10lbs in about 40days which is fine although I wish it was more.  I just need to realize that I'm in my early 40s and its not going to come off as easy as it once did.  

Two things:
1) try mixing in an active recovery day. Go for a good walk around the park/neighborhood for just 15 minutes.

2) you didn’t get fat/out of shape overnight, and you won’t get jacked/juicy and tan overnight either. We all want results now it’s only human nature, but as long as you’re making progress you’re moving in the right direction. Don’t let it be discouraging if it’s not at the rate you want.

Anyone who says squats are bad for the knees has, with that statement, demonstrated conclusively that they are not entitled to any opinion about the matter- Mark Rippetoe

This is a great resource if you’re looking for direction in the gym. Beware of the internet/social media because there are “gurus”everywhere and the majority of them are charlatans.

https://aasgaardco.com/store/books-posters-dvd/books/starting-strength-basic-barbell-training/

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/3/2022 at 7:15 PM, iodeac said:

Pushups

Pull ups

Dips

And get your diet dialed in.  The majority of weight loss is due to intake, not output.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

THIS

They are amazing 

I'm almost done with Geoff Neupert's The Wolf workout.  3x a week for 6 weeks.  Presses Cleans and Squats.  After the 1st wee,k I realized I wasn't as strong as I thought. After the 3rd week, I could tell I was getting stronger. 

I don't think I'll ever go back to barbells.  

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

I'm almost done with Geoff Neupert's The Wolf workout.  3x a week for 6 weeks.  Presses Cleans and Squats.  After the 1st wee,k I realized I wasn't as strong as I thought. After the 3rd week, I could tell I was getting stronger. 

I use BB's sparingly.  Even at the gym I belong to they have a large section of KB's that seemingly nobody but me ever uses.  They are fantastic.  I've gotten better via videos and sites of longer "flows" that string together various movements.  Also started playing around with steel clubs.  

43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I use BB's sparingly.  Even at the gym I belong to they have a large section of KB's that seemingly nobody but me ever uses.  They are fantastic.  I've gotten better via videos and sites of longer "flows" that string together various movements.  Also started playing around with steel clubs.  

Steel clubs is something I'm interested in getting into later this year.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Interesting statement. As I understand it KB workouts tend to be more endurance than strength. In order to increase strength incremental loading is required which is easily accomplished with barbells/plates. How is this done with KBs?

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You misspelled evil.  But they give you a hell of a workout.  

LOL, they are nasty little shits, but only when you actually use them.  One of my favorites are one-armed swings that go into a two-handed halo above and around your head, then back into a swing with the other hand.  Repeat.  You can add in to a front squat if you want or are feeling froggy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, F250 said:

Interesting statement. As I understand it KB workouts tend to be more endurance than strength. In order to increase strength incremental loading is required which is easily accomplished with barbells/plates. How is this done with KBs?

KB's will lean you out, but with high weights you get into those dynamic movements that you see in crossfit.  Snatches/cleans.  Overhead presses.  Rows.  You will get a much leaner look and they require much less space/gear than a traditional barbell setup.  They are a great compliment to help diversify your workouts so it all depends upon your goals.

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

KB's will lean you out, but with high weights you get into those dynamic movements that you see in crossfit.  Snatches/cleans.  Overhead presses.  Rows.  You will get a much leaner look and they require much less space/gear than a traditional barbell setup.  They are a great compliment to help diversify your workouts so it all depends upon your goals.

Big thing I love about my gym is the variety.  They have all the traditional barbell/dumbbell stuff but we also do a ton of KB work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Big thing I love about my gym is the variety.  They have all the traditional barbell/dumbbell stuff but we also do a ton of KB work. 

Same.  They even added this turf area with sleds, so I get get froggy with my TRX straps and push/pull the sled back and forth.  It's brutal and awesome and a great, great way to end a workout and help (pulling) with knee strength.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I was more curious about Post Oak specifically discussing strength and dropping barbells for kettlebells. It read like he wasn't gaining strength with barbells but had success with kettlebells which would be unusual.

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  They even added this turf area with sleds, so I get get froggy with my TRX straps and push/pull the sled back and forth.  It's brutal and awesome and a great, great way to end a workout and help (pulling) with knee strength.

I have a Rogue Butcher. I did 25 yard sprints on the driveway yesterday. The other week I posted about taking it outside and doing a mix or sprints 25 yrd and walks 40 yrd on the grass. I don't have plush St Augustine grass just the standard hill country stuff.

When it comes sleds/prowlers the surface can be the difference between "God this is hard" to "Someone call an ambulance I think I am dying."

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, F250 said:

I was more curious about Post Oak specifically discussing strength and dropping barbells for kettlebells. It read like he wasn't gaining strength with barbells but had success with kettlebells which would be unusual.

Not at all.  I dropped my Y membership because of covid and picked up some KBs for the garage and haven't looked back.

For me, they are an easy way to get a 30-45 minute work out in with my HR going through the roof if I so choose. 

So for me it's a time saver.

The real reason I'm getting stronger is I'm following programs now as opposed to just doing my own thing.

Obviously, you can get strong with barbells I didn't mean to insinuate that you couldn't.  My bad.

• Hook 'Em 3

We've had an abundance of leftover food to give away or destroy at work. They already feed us well (nice perk) so this really cuts down on the grocery bill, but it's killing my diet. I dropped over 60 lb last year when we were closed due to Covid. Now I'm steadily picking it back up.

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Not at all.  I dropped my Y membership because of covid and picked up some KBs for the garage and haven't looked back.

For me, they are an easy way to get a 30-45 minute work out in with my HR going through the roof if I so choose. 

So for me it's a time saver.

The real reason I'm getting stronger is I'm following programs now as opposed to just doing my own thing.

Obviously, you can get strong with barbells I didn't mean to insinuate that you couldn't.  My bad.

I got you. That makes sense.

32 minutes ago, F250 said:

KB's give you "old man" strength.  Guy I roll with does nothing but KB's and it's like rolling with a chimp.  

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

We've had an abundance of leftover food to give away or destroy at work. They already feed us well (nice perk) so this really cuts down on the grocery bill, but it's killing my diet. I dropped over 60 lb last year when we were closed due to Covid. Now I'm steadily picking it back up.

That's tough.  Thursday for CDM they brought in Rosas tacos.  I'd made my lunch and broke down, but instead of tacos I made a plate of ground chicken/beef with lettuce/tomatoes and cheese.  Not great, but better than eating the chips and tortillas/rice/beans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

When it comes sleds/prowlers the surface can be the difference between "God this is hard" to "Someone call an ambulance I think I am dying."

100%.  The field turf at the gym and the slick-bottom sled lets me load up like 4+ plates and look like I'm in such better shape than I really am...;)

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

You work at Popeyes or something?

I'm sure you know how to fix this problem.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's tough.  Thursday for CDM they brought in Rosas tacos.  I'd made my lunch and broke down, but instead of tacos I made a plate of ground chicken/beef with lettuce/tomatoes and cheese.  Not great, but better than eating the chips and tortillas/rice/beans.

Twice a week we get what I call Red Chicken, it's some kind of curry and it's not bad. Problem is when they reopened the kitchen we got that everyday for a month until the beef deliveries started. It comes with black beans and cilantro rice. I keep saying they need to include tortillas because it would make a helluva burrito.

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

You work at Popeyes or something?

Private corporate training center. We have 2 kitchens (Banquets & Fine Dining) and the free employee cafeteria eats from Banquets. Night crew (me) eats meals from Fine Dining (the good shit). We also have a Social Venue that specializes in BBQ brisket and ribs. It's shit, but it's free.

Edited by RPM

Just now, RPM said:

Private corporate training center.

Those are notorious for food. I don't think I've ever been to a training center that didn't have a bunch of catered food with a ton of snacks laying around.

One time I spent a month in Dallas at a training center learning a software platform. For breakfast they would be like "there are breakfast tacos, breakfast sandwiches, danishes, donuts, croissants, etc.. have whatever you like." There was like 8 people in the place and enough breakfast food for a football team.

Jeez.

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

Those are notorious for food.

I feel guilty how much food we just fucking throw away. We take home what we can and pass around extras to others but it's a drop in the bucket. One of the company's big promotions is how green they are. Pretty sure our food waste more than offsets that.

I finished off a double helping of Red Chicken, beans and rice when I got home. I have 3 pastrami on brioche with baby spinach and black currant jam in the fridge. Steel Shank would not approve.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:43 PM, RPM said:

I feel guilty how much food we just fucking throw away. We take home what we can and pass around extras to others but it's a drop in the bucket. One of the company's big promotions is how green they are. Pretty sure our food waste more than offsets that.

I finished off a double helping of Red Chicken, beans and rice when I got home. I have 3 pastrami on brioche with baby spinach and black currant jam in the fridge. Steel Shank would not approve.

Heard something to the effect that HALF of all food worldwide is wasted.  Not just a domestic issue.  Good on you.  

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Heard something to the effect that HALF of all food worldwide is wasted.  Not just a domestic issue.  Good on you.  

Us fatasses doing our part to prevent the food waste issue is probably what led to this thread being started in the first place.  

On 5/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, Post Oak said:

All in all I'm pretty happy and If I can lose another 8-10lbs over the next month I'll be ecstatic.

Yeah, this over 40 thing sucks. At 37 I lost almost 70lbs in 5 or 6 months and kept it off until Covid. I put 10-15 on over about 6 months during lockdown and I can’t get it off. I guess I should make new goals but I miss being able to stay around 185 (6’3”). 

• Hook 'Em 1