2022 Fatass Thread of Dominance

I actually go the other direction and weigh myself everyday.  It is true that it jumps around, and can plateau for days, and can change based on diet and hormone levels.  Because of that I record it every day in a spreadsheet, and then setup a trendline using a couple weeks of data.  I will tell you it is really cool whenever you estimate BMR, and make a plan and control food intake, and are rewarded with a trendline that matches what you were trying to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, Yesh said:

I actually go the other direction and weigh myself everyday.  It is true that it jumps around, and can plateau for days, and can change based on diet and hormone levels.  Because of that I record it every day in a spreadsheet, and then setup a trendline using a couple weeks of data.  I will tell you it is really cool whenever you estimate BMR, and make a plan and control food intake, and are rewarded with a trendline that matches what you were trying to do.

Are you an engineer?

I do the same. 

Going to have a better Sunday than I normally would. Hit Friday night and Saturday pretty hard on the food. Had my first beer since December Wednesday, but I actually drank 4-5 yesterday. Holy shit I’m a light weight after just a few weeks. Woke up feeling awful, but biked 60 minutes and will get in weights tonight. 

Weighing yourself every day is important when you're trying to lose weight. Obviously weight isn't everything and we can all acknowledge that but the scale keeps you honest. Weigh yourself at the same time under the same conditions every day and record it. Scale anxiety is real. 

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Weighing yourself every day is important when you're trying to lose weight. Obviously weight isn't everything and we can all acknowledge that but the scale keeps you honest. Weigh yourself at the same time under the same conditions every day and record it. Scale anxiety is real. 

Agreed.  In fact, I have found that it is a source of confidence rather than anxiety.  I don't weigh on the weekends (I weigh at my office), but often I come back and weigh on Monday and I have gained weight over the weekend probably due to factors other than actual fat gain but sometimes there is some discipline slippage.  After a day or two that usually weight is gone with some additional weight loss to boot. It is just good to get some affirmation that even though you may have screwed up, all is not lost and that things were not as bad as you thought.  Without doing the daily weigh in, you might let things slip a little more due to lack of confidence and start a downward spiral.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Well I meant to post after that picture instead of sounding like the condescending prick I am, but at work and got busy.

The point was that if I had a dollar for every person that told me “I’m only eating 1500 calories a day why can’t I lose weight?!” when in reality they’re north of 2200 a day and in excess of 3000 on the weekends, I’d be Oprah rich. Unless you’ve actually measured out your portions at some point in time, you are probably very off on what size portion you are actually eating.

It’s not always easy, but it’s not rocket surgery either. For the vast majority of society, burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. So before you start trying crazy extreme diets that are destined to fail, or snake oil shakes/supplements, do the math on your daily intake.

It's amazing how few calories 1500 is in actual food.

• Haha 1

Agreed.  In fact, I have found that it is a source of confidence rather than anxiety.  I don't weigh on the weekends (I weigh at my office), but often I come back and weigh on Monday and I have gained weight over the weekend probably due to factors other than actual fat gain but sometimes there is some discipline slippage.  After a day or two that usually weight is gone with some additional weight loss to boot. It is just good to get some affirmation that even though you may have screwed up, all is not lost and that things were not as bad as you thought.  Without doing the daily weigh in, you might let things slip a little more due to lack of confidence and start a downward spiral.

The struggle is real….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 4 egg omelet, banana and glass of milk this morning, little later than usual. Going to make myself eat something in an hour or so. If I eat after 9 AM my appetite gets thrown out of whack for the day. Not sure how you IF people are able to pack your daily intake into that window without feeling full as fuck.

Man I wish I ever felt full as fuck @F250.  But I don't eat breakfast.  I drink coffee from around 7am to 1-2pm- the coffee keeps the appetite in check. Then I eat something "good" and I'll feel full for a little while.  After that the most I'll have is an apple and a handful or almonds or something like that.  Eating one actual meal a day is the key for me.  

Yesterday I put on a pair of shorts that I haven’t worn since starting this process. They used to be tight and my gut could hold them in place with no need for a belt. Not anymore, now there is about an inch to 1.5” gap between gut and shorts. I had to use a hole on the belt that hasn’t been used in years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Depends on what you're eating. You can eat a shitload of chicken and rice for 1,500 calories.  Or two handfuls of cashews for 1,500 calories lol

True. Protein heavy meals are satiating while not being calorie dense.

Lunch: tuna steak, baked sweet potato and a spinach salad with 2 boiled eggs.

Snack: 1 can of sardines

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet, sharp cheddar, mushrooms, green onions, bell pepper, spinach, jalapeno, tomatoes with a whole wheat english muffin.

8 oz Mootopia

I  am under 1600 calories and at 132 g of protein. Still have a little under 800 calories to go for the day.

• Like 1

Goddammit F-250 with the rare BACK2BACK bingo!

Satiety is key. Empty calories are real. Fad diets are for idoits. Learning HOW to eat is key to sustained success and not being a member of this same thread every year.

If you have $14/month to spare, buy the RPstrength app and take the guesswork out of everything and just eat what they tell you.

I’ve been holding steady at 179#. Yesterday, I ran a 25:35 5k. Think that won an age group medal? Hell, no. Even though I was 24th to finish, I was 6th in the ultra-competitive 55-59 age group. 
I’ve got to get faster. I’m going to drop another 10-20# before my next big 5k, in a couple of months. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 6:33 AM, statsman said:

I’ve been holding steady at 179#. Yesterday, I ran a 25:35 5k. Think that won an age group medal? Hell, no. Even though I was 24th to finish, I was 6th in the ultra-competitive 55-59 age group. 
I’ve got to get faster. I’m going to drop another 10-20# before my next big 5k, in a couple of months. 

You need to check the title of this thread again before posting any more exploits from your scrawny ass. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Had my yearly blood work done first week of February.  I hadn't had a drink since end of Dec, had lost 5-6ish lbs over the month, ate pretty well, tried to take 3-4 fish oil pills.  These were the ones that stand out.  Am I dying?

Hemoglobin: 17.3

MCH 33.4 

Bun 32 (6-20 range, this number concerned me)

HDL 29 (3 years in a row I can't seem to bring it up)

Cacl LDL chol 130 (again, 3 years i can't get it under 100)

Risk ratio ldl/hdl 4.48

Bilirubin 1.4 (under 1.2 target)

Ketones Trace A

I don’t recall who used this analogy the other day, but it’s not mine and I’m stealing it.

”If you walked ten miles deep into the forest, you have to walk ten miles to get back out.” 

You aren’t going to unfuck things overnight it’s going to take time. That said, BUN by itself is not indicative of much and not worth putting too much stock in. What is your CPK and eGFR? Also, was your blood drawn within 90-120 minutes of moderate to strenuous physical activity and were you properly hydrated?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I don’t recall who used this analogy the other day, but it’s not mine and I’m stealing it.

”If you walked ten miles deep into the forest, you have to walk ten miles to get back out.” 

You aren’t going to unfuck things overnight it’s going to take time. That said, BUN by itself is not indicative of much and not worth putting too much stock in. What is your CPK and eGFR? Also, was your blood drawn within 90-120 minutes of moderate to strenuous physical activity and were you properly hydrated?

It was first thing in the morning. Told us not to drink much and eat nothing. 

eGFR - 72

cpk - I don’t see

dont know what either of those are

I went running before work last week around 6 am and took a spill and landed on my right shoulder, hip and arm. Got some pretty nasty road rash to show for it. I believe I also managed to break a rib on my right side as well so I’ve got that going for me.

A week later and still can’t properly stretch without pain in the affected rib. Anybody know the difference between a broken and bruised rib?

18 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I went running before work last week around 6 am and took a spill and landed on my right shoulder, hip and arm. Got some pretty nasty road rash to show for it. I believe I also managed to break a rib on my right side as well so I’ve got that going for me.

A week later and still can’t properly stretch without pain in the affected rib. Anybody know the difference between a broken and bruised rib?

I've had both. The broken rib is significantly more painful, obviously. I wouldn't have even tried stretching with broken ribs for at least 2-3 weeks. 

It was first thing in the morning. Told us not to drink much and eat nothing. 

eGFR - 72
cpk - I don’t see

dont know what either of those are

I’m on my phone so this is going to be brief and broad.

They are all measuring sticks for how well your kidneys are functioning, among other things. I’m not a doctor, I just pretend (really badly) to be a smart guy on a message board full of assholes. Me personally, I wouldn’t take that too seriously just yet. All of your levels, creatinine, gfr, bili, and bun are not outrageously high. This leads me to say I’d rather see your blood work after a week of consciously trying to stay hydrated because all of the ranges you’ve mentioned are indicative of dehydration and not a more serious disease process.

Got a couple of hacks:

1. Earlier, I shared my dumbbell workout, focused more on toning and not losing muscle during weight loss, than on actually getting stronger. I know a proper weight workout in a gym is better, but my dad duties don’t allow the time for such a commitment. I have to make do with time and space on hand. (There is a reason dads have “dad bods”). 
I added a new exercise- one legged squats. Basically, standing in one leg, squat down and stand back up. I do ten reps per leg for one set, and three sets every other day (non running days). It effectively gives you the workout of squatting with your weight on the barbell, plus it helps your balance and core. Squats make runners faster. 
2. I’ve got a real low cal mocha-like drink. In the afternoon, I take about 1/3 cup of leftover coffee, add a 1/4 cup of 2% milk, microwave, hit it with a Verismo (the Starbucks version of Keurig) espresso pod, and mix in a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (no sugar). Makes for a nice afternoon treat. 

Edited by statsman

Originally posted on February 1:

Alright it's that time of year where I make myself suffer for a couple months. 

Rate my week 1 diet : 

Breakfast - 3 boiled eggs, with a half of an egg yolk. 

Lunch - Homemade Zoe's Greek Salad with shredded chicken. 

Dinner - Ground bison and green beans. 

Snack: Walnuts and blackberries. 

I'm thinking my weekend reward meal will be marinated lamb chops with no sides. 

I ditched the carb cycling diet and wife and I are working with a nutritionist.  Calories and protein are about the same as on carb cycling, but I can eat more normally.  Carb cycling was working, but it just wasn't realistic for me long term.  Still, down 8 pounds in a little over a month (with one week in Austin where I ate everything).  I'll take it.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I ditched the carb cycling diet and wife and I are working with a nutritionist.  Calories and protein are about the same as on carb cycling, but I can eat more normally.  Carb cycling was working, but it just wasn't realistic for me long term.  Still, down 8 pounds in a little over a month (with one week in Austin where I ate everything).  I'll take it.

Good. Keep shit simple, it doesn't need to be complicated.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I could do it on my own (I have before) but I like having the accountability to another person.  It also helps to have someone who knows more than I do give me input on how I'm eating.

One interesting thing she mentioned is that even though I do 60 minute HIIT workouts 4 times per week and ski on weekends, that I should still try and get in steps during the day.  So I've added that to what I'm doing.  

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

One interesting thing she mentioned is that even though I do 60 minute HIIT workouts 4 times per week and ski on weekends, that I should still try and get in steps during the day.  So I've added that to what I'm doing.  

Where are you located, Colorado? I would love to be able to ski on the weekends instead of taking the occasional ski trip.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, F250 said:
Where are you located, Colorado? I would love to be able to ski on the weekends instead of taking the occasional ski trip.

Yep. Live in Denver and have a place in Winter Park. We are up there almost every weekend.

Nice. I've been to Winter Park and Mary Jane more than a few times. We used to drive up there back in college so I have a lot of fond memories. Must be nice to have easy access.

Quick update so I don’t lose track.  Down to 282 today after spending a week coming back from a short cold.  The cool thing is my endurance is way up, resting HR down around 55 now, and starting to feel better all around.

On  diet, I drank two beers on super bowl Sunday and was drunk from that little bit of alcohol ( doesn’t mix well with meds) and have no desire to add alcohol back in to my rotation, so that’s great.  The main thing I noticed is watching portion size.  I like my food but cutting the amount I put on the plate by a third it’s helping a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Here are some general thoughts, that helped me. I took off a good bit of weight last Spring and I've kept it off and not going back. I'm still in the middle of this journey so I am far from a guru, but I really think the framing of how we each approach these lifestyle changes will ultimately determine whether they are successful or not. I will try not to speak definitively because everyone is different. 

• I did not approach it as a "diet". It was a "lifestyle change". It was a permanent way of living. I would recommend not undertaking any sort of a diet that you don't plan to stick to for the rest of your life. I mean of course it will evolve but it needs to be an entire mindset shift to this is how I eat/live now. Not I'm going to do IF for 3 months, drop 25/30 and then go back to my old ways. You need to live it into habit, though. It will take months and months but that's ok. 
  • Do not fear "failure". There is no failure. It is not a linear process. 2 steps forward, one step back. If you approach it as a lifestyle change, when you fuck up, because you WILL fuck up, it's just a small set back. Get back to work. One binge should not cause you to give up. The lifestyle is permanent, the binge is the one off. 
  • Calories, calories, calories. It's all calories when you boil it down. Count your calories. Know your calorie targets. When you exercise, don't add the calories back into your daily budget. Add half of them back into your daily budget if you need the motivation. You can even eat some of the shit you want. Just plan accordingly. It's math at the end of the day. 
  • Weigh yourself every day (if you're trying to lose weight). Scale anxiety is real. 
  • Food tips - water! Drink a lot of water. Eat a lot of food that has low caloric density, like fruit. Go buy a bunch of fruit and when you start feeling like you need a snack, eat some watermelon, grapes or an orange. The calorie counts in most fruit and veggies is negligible as long as you aren't slamming avocados and bananas at a breakneck pace. 
  • Don't let yourself get hungry. This is when you make bad decisions. Eat before you get hungry. I would order pizza every night if I skipped dinner. Sometimes I do. If I ate even a simple bowl of fucking chicken soup I would not be hungry and not make a stupid decision. 
  • Pre-planned/easy meals are great in this regard if you have low will power. Salads (add grilled chicken if you like, it's one of my go tos), pre-packaged or prepped meals. Basically make it easy on yourself to stay on the right path. My meals are between 3-500 calories. 
  • Move. Every day. Find something that works in your daily routine and stick to it. I try to do at least 2 major calorie burning "events" every day. In the summer it's a lot easier and sometimes I can do 4. I ride the exercise bike every morning for 40 minutes. Simple HIIT program. I can do it with my laptop in front of me so I can "work" if someone needs something desperately during those 40 minutes.  I also try to go to the gym and get a lift in. I can comfortably do this 5 days a week. If I can't make the gym I try to take a 30ish minute walk. If you can't make time for stuff like this, walk places, park further away, count steps, etc. 

Mindset. I found that when I approached things from the mental side of it rather than the physical it was a lot easier. Weight loss/transforming your health is not a physical issue at the end of the day, it's a psychological one in my opinion. The work isn't that hard, it's convincing your brain to do the work (and keep doing it) that is the ultimate trick. Life is hard, there are a ton of obstacles affecting our brains every single day. Even something as simple as your kid having a hard time in school might throw your brain off and make you not want to do the work. 

I am not hear to argue with anyone and the above is not a definitive guide for anyone, but like I said, it helped me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Here are some general thoughts, that helped me. I took off a good bit of weight last Spring and I've kept it off and not going back. I'm still in the middle of this journey so I am far from a guru, but I really think the framing of how we each approach these lifestyle changes will ultimately determine whether they are successful or not. I will try not to speak definitively because everyone is different. 

• I did not approach it as a "diet". It was a "lifestyle change". It was a permanent way of living. I would recommend not undertaking any sort of a diet that you don't plan to stick to for the rest of your life. I mean of course it will evolve but it needs to be an entire mindset shift to this is how I eat/live now. Not I'm going to do IF for 3 months, drop 25/30 and then go back to my old ways. You need to live it into habit, though. It will take months and months but that's ok. 
  • Do not fear "failure". There is no failure. It is not a linear process. 2 steps forward, one step back. If you approach it as a lifestyle change, when you fuck up, because you WILL fuck up, it's just a small set back. Get back to work. One binge should not cause you to give up. The lifestyle is permanent, the binge is the one off. 
  • Calories, calories, calories. It's all calories when you boil it down. Count your calories. Know your calorie targets. When you exercise, don't add the calories back into your daily budget. Add half of them back into your daily budget if you need the motivation. You can even eat some of the shit you want. Just plan accordingly. It's math at the end of the day. 
  • Weigh yourself every day (if you're trying to lose weight). Scale anxiety is real. 
  • Food tips - water! Drink a lot of water. Eat a lot of food that has low caloric density, like fruit. Go buy a bunch of fruit and when you start feeling like you need a snack, eat some watermelon, grapes or an orange. The calorie counts in most fruit and veggies is negligible as long as you aren't slamming avocados and bananas at a breakneck pace. 
  • Don't let yourself get hungry. This is when you make bad decisions. Eat before you get hungry. I would order pizza every night if I skipped dinner. Sometimes I do. If I ate even a simple bowl of fucking chicken soup I would not be hungry and not make a stupid decision. 
  • Pre-planned/easy meals are great in this regard if you have low will power. Salads (add grilled chicken if you like, it's one of my go tos), pre-packaged or prepped meals. Basically make it easy on yourself to stay on the right path. My meals are between 3-500 calories. 
  • Move. Every day. Find something that works in your daily routine and stick to it. I try to do at least 2 major calorie burning "events" every day. In the summer it's a lot easier and sometimes I can do 4. I ride the exercise bike every morning for 40 minutes. Simple HIIT program. I can do it with my laptop in front of me so I can "work" if someone needs something desperately during those 40 minutes.  I also try to go to the gym and get a lift in. I can comfortably do this 5 days a week. If I can't make the gym I try to take a 30ish minute walk. If you can't make time for stuff like this, walk places, park further away, count steps, etc. 

Mindset. I found that when I approached things from the mental side of it rather than the physical it was a lot easier. Weight loss/transforming your health is not a physical issue at the end of the day, it's a psychological one in my opinion. The work isn't that hard, it's convincing your brain to do the work (and keep doing it) that is the ultimate trick. Life is hard, there are a ton of obstacles affecting our brains every single day. Even something as simple as your kid having a hard time in school might throw your brain off and make you not want to do the work. 

I am not hear to argue with anyone and the above is not a definitive guide for anyone, but like I said, it helped me. 

The not approaching it as a diet is key for me.  I was well on my way to where I want to be, and then the pandemic happened and I said fuck it.  Put on 20# since March of 2020.  So here I am, back at it...

Ah fuck it. Slow day at work so let’s do this some more.  

Brand name-serving size-calories

Hidden Valley Ranch- 2 tbsp - 120 calories

Skinny Girl buttermilk ranch- 2 tbsp- 10 calories

Olive garden light Italian- 2 tbsp- 30 calories

Skinny girl Italian- 2 tbsp- 10 calories

Skinny Girl balsamic vinaigrette- 2 tbsp- 5 calories

Heinz ketchup- 2 tbsp - 20 calories

Heinz sugar free ketchup- 2 tbsp- 10 calories

G Hughes sugar free ketchup- 2 tbsp- 5 calories

Jasmine Rice- 1/4 cup dry - 160 calories 35g carb

Homemade shredded potatoes (hashbrowns) - 1 cup uncooked - 70 calories 15g carbs

Ezekiel toast - 1 slice - 80 calories 12g net carbs 5g protein

White bread- 1 slice- 70 calories 14g carb 2g protein

Flour tortilla- 1- 140 calories 26g carbs 4g protein

Corn tortilla- 1- 50 calories 9g net carbs 2 protein

carb balance tortilla- 1 tortilla- 70 calories 4g net carbs 5g protein

• Hook 'Em 1

How is the skinny girl Italian? I don't even use the light OG dressing, I go straight for the regular OG sugar crack and I use it pretty much every day at lunch. 80 cals/serving isn't too bad for sugar crack and I don't use much. But 30 cals sounds pretty tempting. 

Skinny girl is good stuff. Beats the shit out of the horrible nasty no good very bad Walden Farms crap.

And to your second point, I will eat my shoe and stream it live here for everyone to watch if you really are only putting 2 tbsp of dressing on your salad.