White collar workers do you dress for work?

?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Dress for success or stay in skivvies for non-customer meetings

• Dress for success babbyyyyy
    • Wear what I want because I'm that damn good.

Those of you that are working from home.  For non customer meetings, or just meetings where you don't need to be on camera, do you get dressed anyway or just stay in your casual clothes? One school of thought is getting dressed like you were going into work raises your game and standards.  I'm assuming those of you with customer meetings do get dressed.

A whole lot of athleisure for me.  As far as upping the game, I see getting up, getting dressed, if not showered, etc. and getting to work as being more important than how you are dressed.

One thing that influences me, however, is that I try to ride my bike every day, approximately.  Depending on the weather, that may be early or it may be later in the day.  And work influences when and whether I can get away for a ride.  Regardless, I don't shower first thing if I think I'm going to ride.

I get away with a bare minimum of in-person meetings, for which I dress appropriately.  Thankfully, clients and colleagues aren't big on videocalls.

• Hook 'Em 2

There are some distinctions between non-customer meetings for me, still. There are standing functional meetings with my team, there are meetings with executive leadership, there are meetings where I'm presenting something to a broad group, there are non-customer meetings with external partners, etc

But broadly, "wear what I want" is more accurate than "dress for success". There's a degree of unshaven/baby stains on the hoodie/i clearly just rolled out of bed/etc that is acceptable for a standup meeting with my guys that is not acceptable for a meeting with other non-customer people (even if I'm still wearing a hoodie). For the right level leadership I'll put on an oxford or something (or generally mirror what they seem to think is appropriate in the new paradigm) but also I think it looks and seems stupid to be wearing a crisp dress shirt and a jacket in my home office. I'm sure that would be different in different cultures depending on area/company/profession.

• Hook 'Em 2

Casually working, no meeting - hoodie if it's chilly or just a short sleeved t-shirt 
Internal meeting with my team - same as above
Internal meeting with anyone higher than me - I'll throw on a fleece pullover or something that's non-offensive and also what I'd wear to the office
External meeting - maybe a casual button-up or something, no jacket/blazer

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t dress up for client meetings much less sitting at my computer all day. Shorts and a polo when it’s warm, jeans and a button down when it’s cold whether I’m working or not. I’ve told a couple people that made comments they were free to find someone that would dress up for them if it was an issue. I was that way prepandemic, so everyone is helping my cause now. I’ve never worn a suit and can’t remember the last time I wore a tie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

95% of my meetings are audio only....shorts, a T, and bare feet is the norm....

This is about as far as you can get from when I was doing consulting on Wall Street: Italian suits, starched shirts, expensive shoes, and ties.   Screw that noise.  I'll go with the casual stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brew said:

I don’t dress up for client meetings much less sitting at my computer all day. Shorts and a polo when it’s warm, jeans and a button down when it’s cold whether I’m working or not. I’ve told a couple people that made comments they were free to find someone that would dress up for them if it was an issue. I was that way prepandemic, so everyone is helping my cause now. I’ve never worn a suit and can’t remember the last time I wore a tie. 

I mean I think it's going to be different for all of us.  I don't wear a jacket or suit of any soft unless I'm interviewing.  Even for customer meetings, anything like a button down will work.  For all internal meetings, I'm wearing what I want, but generally a nice sweater will do ie I'm not wearing my Metallica 87' tour tshirt.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I mean I think it's going to be different for all of us.  I don't wear a jacket or suit of any soft unless I'm interviewing.  Even for customer meetings, anything like a button down will work.  For all internal meetings, I'm wearing what I want, but generally a nice sweater will do ie I'm not wearing my Metallica 87' tour tshirt.

I’m not a tshirt/pullover/whatever person, so it’s a nice polo and shorts every day all summer and a nice untucked button down and decent jeans every day when it’s cold. I had to fly over to a new firm that we were merging in for the first time a couple months ago and they were a little caught off guard with it. The next time they were dressed the same way because they had just dressed up the first time because they thought they should. Screw that. Dressing “down” can be done and still look professional (at least the new version anyways), just iron your clothes and wear properly fitting decent brands. There is a huge difference between nice jeans and an untucked ironed button down cut to the right length and some of the stuff the 25 year old recent college graduates roll in wearing some days.

When I first started here in ‘99 after graduating, they were all wearing suits. I told them when I interviewed I didn’t own one and wasn’t buying one and I would pass on the tie also. I did tuck my shirt in back then though. I knew the managing partner fairly well and he hired me anyways over some concerns from a couple of others I think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Casually working, no meeting - hoodie if it's chilly or just a short sleeved t-shirt 
Internal meeting with anyone higher than me - I'll throw on a fleece pullover or something that's non-offensive and also what I'd wear to the office

I think this nails it. The only thing I would add is:

-I work for one of those organizations who sniff their own farts and we love our own swag, so it's definitely acceptable to wear one of the dozens of company merch for all internal meetings regardless of the stakeholders. 

- When we do off-sites in person, you can definitely tell the bottom tier employees because they've either forgotten how to pivot and dress like a professional or are super junior and are like Bain and fully embraced being born in the darkness that is Zoom-first life.

8 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I think this nails it. The only thing I would add is:

-I work for one of those organizations who sniff their own farts and we love our own swag, so it's definitely acceptable to wear one of the dozens of company merch for all internal meetings regardless of the stakeholders. 

- When we do off-sites in person, you can definitely tell the bottom tier employees because they've either forgotten how to pivot and dress like a professional or are super junior and are like Bain and fully embraced being born in the darkness that is Zoom-first life.

That's the beauty of being in software.  I can throw on a company pullover and it'll work for any audience. The only time I blazer it up is when I have an inperson client meeting.

43 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m not a tshirt/pullover/whatever person, so it’s a nice polo and shorts every day all summer and a nice untucked button down and decent jeans every day when it’s cold. I had to fly over to a new firm that we were merging in for the first time a couple months ago and they were a little caught off guard with it. The next time they were dressed the same way because they had just dressed up the first time because they thought they should. Screw that. Dressing “down” can be done and still look professional (at least the new version anyways), just iron your clothes and wear properly fitting decent brands. There is a huge difference between nice jeans and an untucked ironed button down cut to the right length and some of the stuff the 25 year old recent college graduates roll in wearing some days.

When I first started here in ‘99 after graduating, they were all wearing suits. I told them when I interviewed I didn’t own one and wasn’t buying one and I would pass on the tie also. I did tuck my shirt in back then though. I knew the managing partner fairly well and he hired me anyways over some concerns from a couple of others I think.

Seemingly 85% of generic office workers trying to navigate business casual

91LpCuOzNoL._UL1500_.jpg

04410908_zi_amber.jpg

this looks so much worse than jeans and the metallica speed of sound tour t-shirt. at least that guy might occasionally have an interesting thought. actually I can think of 1 dude who does that - jeans and grateful dead shirts half the time. is lead scientist for R&D.

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That's the beauty of being in software.  I can throw on a company pullover and it'll work for any audience. The only time I blazer it up is when I have an inperson client meeting.

I actually like wearing a sport coat and don't quite understand the aversion to it, or at least I wish I wouldn't get the "got a job interview?" cracks from dudes dressed like above when it's fucking 48 degrees outside and I walk in wearing a coat.

Edited by Celery Man

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

91LpCuOzNoL._UL1500_.jpg

04410908_zi_amber.jpg

this looks so much worse than jeans and the metallica speed of sound tour t-shirt. at least that guy might occasionally have an interesting thought. actually I can think of 1 dude who does that - jeans and grateful dead shirts half the time. is lead scientist for R&D.

I actually like wearing a sport coat and don't quite understand the aversion to it, or at least I wish I wouldn't get the "got a job interview?" cracks from dudes dressed like above when it's fucking 48 degrees outside and I walk in wearing a coat.

Not sure if intentional, but homeboy has a stain on his shirt.  Also, I kind of like those shoes.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Does anyone wear pants though ?

I've done way more than a handful of zoom meetings in my company logo polo shirt and gym shorts on.  No fucks given.

My buddies will text me asking what's in my glass.  Sometimes it's sparkling water.  Sometimes it's brown water.  Mostly depends upon what time it is or my mood.

44 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

91LpCuOzNoL._UL1500_.jpg

04410908_zi_amber.jpg

Wow that is hilarious and horrible. Not my experience, like, at all. I wonder if this is an industry specific or geographic specific thing or if it's a culture thing at the hand full of orgs I have worked for (granted, a small sample size as I've had decent tenure at a couple of places the last 20 years).

After more review, odds are nearly 100% that you are an engineer and/or work in an engineering firm.

• Haha 2

One day this year, I'm gonna dress like every other douchebag in my industry...flat front chinos...loafers or cowboy boots...patagonia or north face vest over bright shirt.  Even if it's 95 outside.  

Meantime, it's usually jeans and a collared shirt in case I need to be on a zoom.  Used to have a sportcoat in my truck in case something popped up after work, but not really during Covid.    I wear ties for funerals and weddings.  If even then.  I'm not too cool for school, it's just that every fucking guy in these fields dresses the exact fucking same.  I'd be all for it if it looked remotely comfortable.  Why are you guys still wearing those trendy/expensive vests in May?  

I'm jeans and a plain dark tshirt most days even in the summer.  If there's a meeting with people higher than my boss, or its a large meeting, I will throw on a golf or even dress shirt. I don't find any of these clothes uncomfortable so it doesn't bother me to stay in them all day. Every once in a while I will have shorts on instead of jeans.

In-person meetings, internal or external, I try to be the best-dressed person in the room, by a small margin.  In my work that means a collared shirt and higher-end cargo pants.  

When I'm at home I'm usually the same.  Dress the part, be the part. I'll let things slide on Friday though.

All athletic wear for me, as I end up doing a bunch of chores or outdoor shit during the workday anyway. If I’m looking particularly disheveled, I will just stay off camera and say I am having “internet issues”. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve had to wear even a polo shirt. It’s mostly comfy fishing shirts, athletic shorts to help the balls breathe, and tennis shoes. Like they say, dress for the job you hate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is pretty much me. Software industry?

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is pretty much me. Software industry?

Legal. Nothing to do with courts and not a lot of video calls with clients (very very rare). 

Today is my once-a-week appearance in the office so they know I'm actually alive.  Black jeans, black sweater and vest with firm logo and white converse.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Legal. Nothing to do with courts and not a lot of video calls with clients (very very rare). 

Today is my once-a-week appearance in the office so they know I'm actually alive.  Black jeans, black sweater and vest with firm logo and white converse.  

e3ddae496530f622fa4fa60e9c255606.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I'd rather a poncho than this fucking fleece vest craze that has been raging for a decade now and is not letting up anytime soon.  

It's fucking 72 in the building, taking the fucking vest off Kaaron!  I swear we're just a year away from companies not stopping at the left chest logo and instead...going with a big biker-vest styled logo on the back so the Accentures can fight the KPMG Warlords down in the loading dock after happy hour.  

Side note---I'd like to wear slippers to work from now on. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'd rather a poncho than this fucking fleece vest craze that has been raging for a decade now and is not letting up anytime soon.  

Look, I'm like the least bro-y bro and I'm not in finance or consulting.

But my fucking arms do not get cold.  They just don't.  But my midsection does.  Let me wear my non-fleece, firm-branded vest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It's fucking 72 in the building, taking the fucking vest off Kaaron!  I swear we're just a year away from companies not stopping at the left chest logo and instead...going with a big biker-vest styled logo on the back so the Accentures can fight the KPMG Warlords down in the loading dock after happy hour.  

image.png.a61d2e8cece1261768c7efb8500c7b58.png

Nothing wrong with this.

Edited by closetohumping

actually that looks rather comfortable.  I was describing a different type of garment.  I guess I'm pullover hesitant even when it's a bit chilly because if I want to take it off during the day, the way my multiple hair cowlicks are ...I end up looking like Jim from "Taxi."  And for some inexplicable reason, I start sounding like him too.  Weird.

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

actually that looks rather comfortable.  I was describing a different type of garment.  I guess I'm pullover hesitant even when it's a bit chilly because if I want to take it off during the day, the way my multiple hair cowlicks are ...I end up looking like Jim from "Taxi."  And for some inexplicable reason, I start sounding like him too.  Weird.

You thinking of this?

Harbor Fleece Vest

I've worked from home for 12ish years, in a project team environment. We NEVER used cameras before the pandemic and rarely turn them on now, even if clients have them on. 

Throw on something to take kids to school. 

get home and change into shorts and a t-shirt. 

Ride exercise bike before or during morning meetings. 

When I stop sweating, change into shorts and another t-shirt and a hoodie. Have next set of calls. 

Go to gym during lunch. Eat. Conduct more calls in sweats. 

Jeans on if it's cold to go pick up kids. Home for more calls. 

I guess that would be a no. 

Lobo clearly hates the Patagonia vest for some reason, but it has been an acceptable office standard for as long as most of us can remember at this point.

But Lobo, I have good news. It's going to be fall out of favor one day, and probably soon as the Patagonia is actually not aligned with many of the values of the Patagonia bro army (and I think Patagonia made news a few months ago about ceasing the corporate branding for yearly kick-offs and conferences, in part because of this misalignment of values).

Also LOL at the idea that anyone who had to work at KPMG would actively advertise that fact on a vest instead of trying to just mumble and deflect the conversation "Huh? I work for a big 4" and trail off "but What do YOU do, you seem super interesting!"

Edit to add: I was wrong, the reason they aren't doing it is for sustainability reasons: https://www.patagonia.com/transitioning-away-from-logos.html

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TurkeyChew said:

Lobo clearly hates the Patagonia vest for some reason, but it has been an acceptable office standard for as long as most of us can remember at this point.

But Lobo, I have good news. It's going to be fall out of favor one day, and probably soon as the Patagonia is actually not aligned with many of the values of the Patagonia bro army (and I think Patagonia made news a few months ago about ceasing the corporate branding for yearly kick-offs and conferences, in part because of this misalignment of values).

Also LOL at the idea that anyone who had to work at KPMG would actively advertise that fact on a vest instead of trying to just mumble and deflect the conversation "Huh? I work for a big 4" and trail off "but What do YOU do, you seem super interesting!"

When I was up in Denver alot of O and G guys wore that Patagonia vest. My cousin likes vests and he lives in south Texas, keeps his core warm and your arms free

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

44 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

So was sexual harassment, chain smoking, and day drinking...they were all acceptable office standards for as long as most of our fathers could remember at one point.  Dudn't make it cool.  I have no issue with them, just that it makes it hard to tell people apart when I go visit portfolio company offices.  Everybody looks the same.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So was sexual harassment, chain smoking, and day drinking...they were all acceptable office standards for as long as most of our fathers could remember at one point.  Dudn't make it cool.  I have no issue with them, just that it makes it hard to tell people apart when I go visit portfolio company offices.  Everybody looks the same.  

chain smoking and day drinking has an edgy coolness to it, wouldn't you say?

Anyways, little boxes made of ticky tacky, a pink and green one, and all that.

Edited by TurkeyChew

On 1/4/2022 at 7:24 AM, hookemATL said:

All athletic wear for me, as I end up doing a bunch of chores or outdoor shit during the workday anyway. If I’m looking particularly disheveled, I will just stay off camera and say I am having “internet issues”. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve had to wear even a polo shirt. It’s mostly comfy fishing shirts, athletic shorts to help the balls breathe, and tennis shoes. Like they say, dress for the job you hate. 

This.  I take on the vast bulk of morning kid prep, curbside heb pickups, Costco runs, mailing Amazon returns, dishes, cooking dinner, laundry, etc…so I basically wear pjs (athletic shit) until sometime after my lunchtime nap, after which I’ll shower and switch to pjs for the next day.  Once the novelty wore off, hardly anyone uses video on calls anymore.  

I’m definitely more productive at work and hone not having to drive into the office, deal with bullshit walk by’s or endless small talk. 

I’ve gotta very comfortable job with an awesome boss, and when I have to turn it on I do exactly that…rest of the time I’m chillin, trying to get some exercise in, or enjoying a jerk in an empty house.  Gave up trying to conquer the world once I had kids.  I have a pretty strong skill set that’s only sporadically under high demand, so I enjoy the downtime between crises.  

Possibility for me to get into leadership this year, however, which would require me to turn on Teams video and go back to looking presentable…but until then, my slacks and polos are gathering dust.  

Edited by Homercles