USMNT 2022

Napoleon

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

As long as Arsenal has a footwork coach for its keepers, I'm all for this.

I wil harp on it as long as he sucks with his feet and/or he's a national team keeper (whichever ceases sooner), that guy needs to be working an hour or two a day with a footwork/ foot skills coach. I don't care how late he started focusing on soccer, his ball skills could improve dramatically if he actually worked on them. Until then, he plays with the ball at his feet like you would expect 1st Chair Cello in the middle school orchestra to play with the ball at his feet.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, The Dog said:

PS- Regarding Brenden Aaronson

If I'm Brenden, I'm staying with Salzburg until the end of the season because this may be his only shot ever at a Champions League knockout stage. And how amazing would it be for Austria's Red Bull club to take her Bayern Munich?? The two cities are 2 hours away from each other by train. You pass near... 

Hitler's Eagle's Nest

120EaglesNest.jpg

...und... 

Schloss Neuschwanstein

neuschwanstein450.jpg

...in your passage back and forth...

I would be staying!

(And I've got at least one friend in Leeds und yo quiero Bielsa, pero nein!)

Edited by Napoleon

Some guy posted this depth chart for 2026 and thinks that the USMNT's future is "in good hands".

However, that is subject to whether Gregg is replaced with a proper manager or if US Soccer keeps his sorry ass around for another cycle.

If we have to stay American, I would either like the American with an Italian name who is managing in Germany or Caleb Porter. 

Anyway, he's the depth chart as of January 2022.

FJZ6dgVXoAoqdM9?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nice to see stats support what we've casually observed--Brenden's workrate is finominal.

This spelling should only be used for extraordinary Finnish players.

An American shouldn't be allowed to receive praise with this spelling unless he's of Finnish descent.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

If Leeds want him THIS badly, where are the other offers/interest?

My understanding based only off internet searches and Reddit is:

1. He's a GREAT fit for Leeds, and he can start for them now. 

2. He's going to be in demand after the season so Leeds are coming with their best offer because they believe there will be a bidding war for him (with bigger clubs) if they can't close the deal now. Leeds has money but they don't have the money to compete with the bigger clubs who have expressed interest in him. 

So Leeds feels if they come after him hard right now that they can land him where if they wait he'll go somewhere else. I think a deal gets done - Leeds is offering too much money for Salzburg to turn them down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

My understanding based only off internet searches and Reddit is:

1. He's a GREAT fit for Leeds, and he can start for them now. 

2. He's going to be in demand after the season so Leeds are coming with their best offer because they believe there will be a bidding war for him (with bigger clubs) if they can't close the deal now. Leeds has money but they don't have the money to compete with the bigger clubs who have expressed interest in him. 

So Leeds feels if they come after him hard right now that they can land him where if they wait he'll go somewhere else. I think a deal gets done - Leeds is offering too much money for Salzburg to turn them down. 

This makes absolutely ZERO sense.

1) Leeds is only willing to pay X.

2) Leeds can't compete with paying X+.

3) Salzburg can't turn down X even though they will be offered X+ in 6 months.

W T F ?!?!

Following your logic, Salzburg would be regarded to sell him now because they will be able to sell him for much more, so you think that they will sell him now.

😂

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

W T F ?!?!

Following your logic, Salzburg would be regarded to sell him now because they will be able to sell him for much more, so you think that they will sell him now.

😂

It's "bird in hand" situation for them. 

I agree if they wait they could get more. I'm just the messenger. 

I'm just summarizing what I saw on r/LeedsUnited. I know you and others follow this more closely than I do.

Edited by The Dog

Leeds went from a £15million offer to £20 in a couple of days and sounds like they are willing to go higher as well. Tottenham also want Sesko from Salzburg as well, and the list of teams who want Karim Adeyemi who’s their best player won’t be short and probably pushing £45-50.

They are going to cash in really soon on several players. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them cash in on Aaronson now and get over £25 from Leeds and hold on others till next summer.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

W T F ?!?!

Salzburg also run the risk of him getting injured and then poof, transfer market at $27M+ is gone.

$27M also makes him the 3rd most expensive player to be sold by Salzburg behind Patson Daka and Naby Keita. It is a pretty good haul of cash for a team like Salzburg, more than they got for Sadio Mane (forgot he played for Salzburg).

Edit: Woah, speaking of forgetting, Erling Haaland played for Salzburg too. $22M sale. Bet they want that one back.

Edited by dieucla98

They probably have sell on clauses for Haaland. I am sure they are going to be doing fine.

I think the real question for Aaronson is does Salzburg have a guy ready to replace him? If they do, then sure, he moves on to Leeds. But if they don't then expect him to stick around through the season and probably be sold this summer.

23 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Not that surprising; Leno has wanted out since Ramsdale supplanted him as the No. 1 and will likely get his move before the end of the window.  

What is surprising is we haven't moved stronger on adding a striker (or two) and midfielder, the two glaring areas of weakness in the current side.

Edited by Dutch

Sargent doesn't make the squad.  Then scores 2 goals for Norwich against Watford in a must win for the Canaries.

Joe Scally not being on the squad is criminal.  I've never heard of Brooks Lennon of Atlanta United, but apparently he's better than a regular starter for a solid Bundesliga side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Sargent doesn't make the squad.  Then scores 2 goals for Norwich against Watford in a must win for the Canaries.

Joe Scally not being on the squad is criminal.  I've never heard of Brooks Lennon of Atlanta United, but apparently he's better than a regular starter for a solid Bundesliga side.

Busio was called in but just tested positive for Covid. Wondering if the same for Scally, but odds are its gregg being fucking gregg. 

• Haha 1

1) Not shocked, but definitely disappointed in ARRIOLA, LLETGET, & ROLDAN.

2) Shocked that a BROOKS was called in, but at least it was the more likely one. 

3) CANNON has been playing CD for his Portuguese side and I’m guessing that he is the 4th CD here rather than a RB first. 

4) The announcers couldn’t believe SARGENT’s creativity & audacity on the first goal while I was thinking

“Everyone I know who has ever played a decent amount of soccer would have tried to do the same thing because the cross didn’t match the run and so that was the only option if you planned to make contact.”

Nice to finally make a difference in a game. 

5) SARGENT’s 2nd goal was a nice run, but the winger looked to be offside by a foot (appendage, not measurement), but the EPL has VAR, so I guess that they checked it. 

This goal was very much a Weston McKennie goal more than a #9 goal, but a goal is a goal. 

If this is the start of good form, then Gregg will call him in in March. If this was a blip against a horrible squad, Gregg will likely hold off until summer friendlies. 

6) Calling in 4 keepers seems a lot odd, but why not when you can call in big squads. 

7) Glad to see LUCA DE LA TORRE get called in considering all of the 20-something to 30something year-old YouTubers have been raving about his recent form.

• Like 1

Agree that Scally should have made the squad, and equally unthrilled with yet another round of callups for Arriola, Roldan and Lletget. Fuck me, Gergg loves him some Nipple.

Also disappointed not to see Dike or some other true No.9 to spell Pepi.

Thrilled to see Cannon and de la Torre in camp. Cannon has been playing well for club and deserves the callup, even if he doesn't feature.

And Luca seems like a natural enganche. If Musah tires out or we need some spark in attack, I'm hoping to see de la Torre on at about the 60th minute in a super sub role.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Welp, guess I'm a Norwich City fan now. That was real cool.

I'll say it again - I'm not ready to give up on Sargent. Go on @Napoleon, laugh it up.

Never give up on Sargent. He will always, always, always be better than any of these goddamn MLS spares that keep getting called in. He most certainly deserves to be called up ahead of the likes of Paul Arriola and Gyasi Zardes.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Never give up on Sargent. He will always, always, always be better than any of these goddamn MLS spares that keep getting called in. He most certainly deserves to be called up ahead of the likes of Paul Arriola and Gyasi Zardes.

He is plenty talented, his workrate is supurb, but his goal scoring instincts are very questionable. And when you always and only play for shitty teams it just doesn't help your development. Hopefully today is the turn he and Norwich need to survive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shnsajax said:

He is plenty talented, his workrate is supurb, but his goal scoring instincts are very questionable. And when you always and only play for shitty teams it just doesn't help your development. Hopefully today is the turn he and Norwich need to survive. 

His biggest issue is that he doesn’t shoot enough. That’s not totally his fault, because Norwich sucks. Even Pukki has a low number of shots (and fewer than Sargent).  But still, his position, he should be shooting as much as he can. 

With the current window upcoming I dug up my post how the US can lock up a spot in Qatar this cycle. I’ll take 7 points, but this would be nice. 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, Captain Ron said:

BTW - there is a way for the US to clinch in the next cycle, but it's pretty tough and not likely:

1. The US would need to win all 9 points, this is a must as it would put them at 24

2. Panama has to drop all of their points

3. Costa Rica must drop points in at least 2 games

4. Jamaica would need to drop points in at least 1 game

3 and 4 are likely. 1 is possible, I'm not sure winning in Canada is going to happen. And I also don't see 2 happening.

Get 7 and we should be in great shape.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Sargent's lack of productivity (0 G/A in 19 PL games before his brace) is glaring but he did just tie Jozy's career EPL goal tally and did so in 50 less appearances.  

Glad he didn't get called up because he needs to focus on following up that performance and helping Norwich stay up.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

That's 3 USMNT players on one team in a big 4 league. Never thought I'd see the day (I'm assuming that has never happened in the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, or La Liga)

1) No, at least not with 3 contributors.

2) For now, Italy is the only Big league that Pefok could possibly play in.

3) Italy has limits on how many non-EU players can be on the field at the same time, so Busio (Italy) and Pefok (France?) having EU passports is what makes this possible. 

I hope that we see it. Having an American pulling the strings in Venice is what is making this possible. 

PS- I want a photo of Pefok standing right next to Busio. It would be full-on Schwarzenegger & Devito-esque.

Edited by Napoleon

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

That's 3 USMNT players on one team in a big 4 league. Never thought I'd see the day (I'm assuming that has never happened in the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, or La Liga)

Fulham 2006-2007 had McBride, Dempsey and Bocanegra

Fulham 2007-2008 had McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Keller and Eddie Johnson

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1