2022 Annual of Three Putting

ocugolf

Anyone in the market for a driver shaft? I have an Accra FX 250 M4 tipped with a TM shaft adapter that I'm ready to sell.

This shaft is for people looking for as much stability as you can muster in a very light weight stiff shaft (58G). Light weight shafts are inherently unstable at higher swing speeds, but this one does as much as you can. Great for people with a smooth transition at the top of the swing with less loading on the shaft at the top.

My swing used to have a very smooth, fluid transition at the top and this shaft was a game changer even with a 98-102 mph swing speed. Best money I had ever spent on my clubs. Now my swing is a considerably more stop and go at the top with a lot more load on the shaft. Just hard to control the whip action now so I had to move on to a Graphite Designs shaft.

I paid ~$350 for this new a few years back, happy to see it go to a new home here for $75 (plus ship if you're not in Austin). Comes with a ~year old Best Grips black leather grip installed ($25 for the grip alone, IIRC). 

Heading to Scottsdale for the Waste Management tournament on Thursday. Playing Grayhawk Raptor on Thursday morning and Troon North Monument on Friday morning while we're there. To say I'm pretty pumped is an understatement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally broke 80. Shot a 76 at Kizer. It was windy as fuck on the front 9. 40 front nine, even par on back nine. 5 over for the round. Only had 1 birdied but had good looks at 4 others. I'd been playing like shit for the last 2 months. Spent the last few days doing nothing but 1/2 and 3/4 swings focusing on my tempo. It came together today.

Looking forward to shooting 85 next round, cause that's golf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:29 AM, huge said:

Made birdie on the first hole I played with my new sticks (Ping i210).

No comment on the rest of the round.

great club, did you do a ping fitting ? 

im about ready to get back to hitting balls. my dad is buying a new set of iron for Xmas, I'm eye balling the new ping i525

My friend from high school married a collegiate golfer, and their kid has golf in his blood. Little fucker is 6 and got his first hole in one two days ago. 9 iron from 83 yards. I've been playing 27 years now and don't have one. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, JSB said:

Going to play Pine Dunes in two weeks. It seems like it gets a ton of praise for being one of the best public courses out there. Eager to see if it lives up to the hype. 

Don't try to bring your own beer on the course.  They REALLY frown upon that sort of thing.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, tx 3 putt said:

great club, did you do a ping fitting ? 

im about ready to get back to hitting balls. my dad is buying a new set of iron for Xmas, I'm eye balling the new ping i525

I had previously done a fitting for my old i20s so I just went with the same set up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hit 6 drives OB the last round I played.  Gotta love playing in neighborhoods and spraying into various pools and cul-du-sacs.  Hit my brand new irons fine but obviously I need to spend $600 on a new driver right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

I hit 6 drives OB the last round I played.  Gotta love playing in neighborhoods and spraying into various pools and cul-du-sacs.  Hit my brand new irons fine but obviously I need to spend $600 on a new driver right?

it's always the arrow and not the indian. that's motto.

I played in a buddy's member-guest last weekend.  First time in one of those events.  Very well organized.  Calcutta was HUGE ($123K total in the pot). 

We finished day 1 T-27 in windy conditions.  It was an adjusted Stableford format with quotas and adjustments daily.  We were 76-77 net (definitely not gross).

Day 2 we absolutely shit the bed.  Like abysmal.  88-85 were the net scores.  Finished the day in 71st place out of 79.

Day 3, we got our shit together.  73-71 net.  Won some day money and ended up right in the middle at 41st place.  

I learned a lot.  Really looking forward to playing in another one now that I'm able to play quasi regularly and not out there embarrassing myself.  

First round of 2022 in the books last weekend after being laid up all of January and February with a herniated disc. Hit 12 greens but needed 38 putts for a smooth 80. Two birdies but missed four more chances inside 5 feet, even three-putted one of those. I obviously need to go pound some more buckets at the range.

10 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

First round of 2022 in the books last weekend after being laid up all of January and February with a herniated disc. Hit 12 greens but needed 38 putts for a smooth 80. Two birdies but missed four more chances inside 5 feet, even three-putted one of those. I obviously need to go pound some more buckets at the range.

sounds like some time on the putting green might be more appropriate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Haha, yeah, last fall I stuffed a 5i shot to 2 and a half feet on a par 3 and walked off with bogey. Really really really hard to maintain composure and not just erupt into violence with that. 

Played wolf/hammer Tuesday.  A good friend hits the green on a par 4 on the drive to about 20 ft (3 handicap) and hammers.  Me and my partner stay on the hammer but are both in trouble (forced partners due to this particular game).  At this point we are just trying to see if we are going to lose two or three times our money for a birdie or eagle. Partner gets up and down from the hazard (he’s a pro) so we get a 4.  My friend that hit the green 3 putts for par.  Dodged a bullet.  Messed my friend up for the next few holes.  /csb

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Good old golf!  I have the super Bandon itch, think I'm finally gonna make this trip happen.  Anyone have recs on the best value time to go?  Obv Aug/Sept is the nuts but is also super spendy and some of my group can't do that.  Have heard several people say they've gotten plenty good weather in Jan/Feb, and it's DRAMATICALLY cheaper.  Any thoughts? 

Also if anyone didn't watch them, the No Laying Up Tourist Sauce videos on YouTube were elite.  The Oregon season, episodes 3-8 are all on Bandon Dunes, with one ep devoted to each course, after the initial overview ep.  Must watch IMO. Ep 3 is here: 

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Booking Jan 11-17. LFGGGGG

We went in late February and got great weather.  I don't know how many of the courses you are playing, but if you have to skip one, Old Mac, to me is the weakest.  Some people love it.  Play the par 3.  We did the lighted up night putting at the punch bowl and it was really really cool.

We went in late February and got great weather.  I don't know how many of the courses you are playing, but if you have to skip one, Old Mac, to me is the weakest.  Some people love it.  Play the par 3.  We did the lighted up night putting at the punch bowl and it was really really cool.

Thx! We are gonna play all 5. Gonna play the Preserve (13 hole par 3) arrival day. Then one a day with either Shortys (9 hole par 3), Preserve, Punchbowl, or replay after as daylight, energy, and weather indicate.

Thx! We are gonna play all 5. Gonna play the Preserve (13 hole par 3) arrival day. Then one a day with either Shortys (9 hole par 3), Preserve, Punchbowl, or replay after as daylight, energy, and weather indicate.

I had heard they were booked until 2024 but didn’t think that could be right. I bet they work you in. 

Yeah insane! I’m fairly hopeful esp since we would be willing to switch rooms a time or two during the trip if needed. I’m sure a lot of people grabbed spots as a just in case and then cancel or move dates. Fingers crossed! Just wish I could be looking forward to a booked trip instead of hoping we get to go.

I had heard they were booked until 2024 but didn’t think that could be right. I bet they work you in. 

Yeah insane! I’m fairly hopeful esp since we would be willing to switch rooms a time or two during the trip if needed. I’m sure a lot of people grabbed spots as a just in case and then cancel or move dates. Fingers crossed! Just wish I could be looking forward to a booked trip instead of hoping we get to go.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I’m playing The Quarry at La Quinta in a month with guys that are better than me.  It will be an adventure.

For a minute I thought you meant The Quarry in San Antonio. Played that a few years ago for a business meeting in August. Their are 4-5 holes that are way below ground level so it was about 120 degrees and no wind. Only time I ever remember in a scramble when we took the first decent shot. No sense hanging around for everyone to hit. I called those holes The Frying Pan

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, us walking 36 in a day, esp my dad, may have been tough anyway. I booked lodging at Bandon for the first two nights of the trip (diff room unfortunately each night), then an AirBNB for the next 4. That allowed me to make hotel guest tee times, and they let me do it under hotel guest rules for the whole trip. 

Current itinerary is to arrive about 3 and hopefully get out on Preserve. Then:

Day 1: 950a Old Mac
Day 2: 1230p Bandon Trails
Day 3: 950a Sheep Ranch
Day 4: 1250p Bandon Dunes
Day 5: 1250p Pacific Dunes

We are on waitlists for earlier times for the 3 post-noon rounds, but having talked to some people most think we should be OK getting those in, and the sunsets on the two Dunes courses are spoken of very highly. Sunset is 508p those days, so if we play in 4h 30m, should get it in right under the wire. 

Also on waitlist for lodging at the resort for the last 4 nights. Figure we can do Shorty's/Punchbowl/Preserve before those afternoon rounds if we don't get moved up. 

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

For a minute I thought you meant The Quarry in San Antonio. Played that a few years ago for a business meeting in August. Their are 4-5 holes that are way below ground level so it was about 120 degrees and no wind. Only time I ever remember in a scramble when we took the first decent shot. No sense hanging around for everyone to hit. I called those holes The Frying Pan

The Quarry at La Quinta is supposed to have greenskeeping that rivals Augusta.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, tigol said:

PGA Superstore > Golf Galaxy

I'd always heard this.

GG and PGASS are only a mile apart. Having visited both many times, this is so fucking true. GG must have an asshole test which assholes need to pass before getting hired. Fuck that place.

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

interesting video, to me at least.

TLDW: for quantifiable results (ball flight, distance, spin), irons shafts don't matter. basically it comes down to feel, which is purely subjective. ball brand/type and head loft have more say in those metrics.

Meh.  I saw clear distinctions when I last got fitted for irons.  KBS 90's for me made a significant difference over KBS Tour, True Temper, and Project X.  Of course that's more about the shaft weight than the manufacturer.  If you're comparing apples and apples specs wise, yeah it's gonna come down to feel.  But it's still important to get fitted to the best setup of shaft weight, flex, and kick point for your swing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll post pictures later this week, but I need to get rid of golf gear …..

ping wedges, 52 / 56 / 60. All ping tour, all in great shape or new. These wedges bite, pre ban grooves. These are very good wedges. Zero issues if you want a full set of wedges. 

Cleaveland -  60 wedge, rms finish

Cleveland 5 wood - brand new. This is a very good club 

TM rocket balls 19 hybrid (looks brand new)

3 wood, name escapes me. The brand with a slot, titliest bought them. This one has a very very good shaft but it’s a little ‘soft’ 

TM burner 2.0 driver (9.5) with a great shaft. This is a very good driver (might keep). If you have the swing speed, this club goes boom.

buy me lunch or throw me $20. Pick up in Houston or you pay for shipping. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, DDD Dad said:

Meh.  I saw clear distinctions when I last got fitted for irons.  KBS 90's for me made a significant difference over KBS Tour, True Temper, and Project X.  Of course that's more about the shaft weight than the manufacturer.  If you're comparing apples and apples specs wise, yeah it's gonna come down to feel.  But it's still important to get fitted to the best setup of shaft weight, flex, and kick point for your swing.

did you hit the ust recoil shafts ?