Is 17 acres enough land to hunt?

Dignan

I am primarily a hog hunter, but of course enjoy deer hunting as well. Found 17 acres not TOO far from me in East Texas that has a creek running through most of it. It is pretty densely wooded but not too thick to walk through. Anyway, just wanting to get opinions on this amount of acreage. The reason I don’t find more acres? Price. This is within my range and there is a chance more land near it will open up in the future. Thanks, love y’all. 

33 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I just bought 21 acres south of Tyler. Yes, 17 acres is big enough to hunt, the question though is the land sustainable to hunt longterm. On our property there are deer and hogs galore. Long-term is this going to be just for hunting or something else? Lot of factors in play.

I’m curious where you bought. I live south of Tyler. ;) This land I saw is outside of Gilmer. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Like another poster already said, it depends on what's around it. If you're trying to deer hunt and there's houses nearby, it can be tough due to extraneous noise, dogs, ect. Is this a free spot? If so and it had deer, then I'd give it a try

Just more land around it. Nearest town is about 10 miles away. 

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

I just bought 21 acres south of Tyler. Yes, 17 acres is big enough to hunt, the question though is the land sustainable to hunt longterm. On our property there are deer and hogs galore. Long-term is this going to be just for hunting or something else? Lot of factors in play.

I'm south of Tyler on 30 acres

I’m gonna be Debbie downer here and tell you that unless something changes, be prepared for the land next to you to get bought and carved up in to 1/2 acre lots. My first home in Wise county was on 29 acres with the closest neighbor almost a mile away. 2 years later there were over 100 rooftops going up across the road. Fast forward a few years later to where I currently live and there were 3 homes within 1 mile of my front gate when I built in 2017. Now I’m watching from my front porch as a 119-home subdivision goes in and in the evening I can see them clearing land as the sun sets for an unknown amount of homes on the opposite side of me. My family farm is on 2900 acres in the most rural part of Milam county that you can possibly imagine, and they just broke ground on subdivision in the middle of a wheat field that will be over 100 homes just down the road from her. 

TLDR; unless you have Alice Walton money and can buy up the land around you as it goes up for sale, you’re going to get boxed in.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

My brother lives there. Is it his place? Lol Gilmer isn’t really growing.

It is outside of town. About 10 miles so I really don’t think any development will be out there for a long long time. Maybe ever. 

• Like 1

It is outside of town. About 10 miles so I really don’t think any development will be out there for a long long time. Maybe ever. 

Aside from when they redid 271 through there and a few things on the north end of town, there really hasn’t been a lot going on that I’ve seen. They have a Walmart and Cefco now. And a whataburger. Used to have a dang good catfish place.

You're not going to be able to do any management unless you can get enough neighbors on board. If the neighbors shoot a lot of deer or small bucks then you will just have to deal with it. Best you can do is put out feeders and maybe a food plot to attract them. You might have enough room to set up a sort of sanctuary area on part of it to give them a place to bed down, but that will depend on the shape of the land and other factors such as cover type.

17 is “enough” to hunt in East Tx. Probably won’t be able to manage it unless the surrounding properties don’t hunt at all.  I’ve trapped and shot literally hundreds of pigs off a place that size.  It backed up to a big ass refuge but still.  Shot a doe/yr off another that size.   If you bow hunt, even better.