Why is Jacksonville a city?

Aqua Buddha

Just spent a few days there.  Good hell.

It supposedly has 1.5M people but I can't figure out why.  There's only one major company there (CSX), a bunch of olds, some golf courses and a beach.  No economy to speak of.

Also seems trashy AF.  Lots of rednecks.  Can't figure out what they do for a living to afford the lift kits on their trucks.  Florida Man is everywhere.

Why is this even a city?  If you're not into golf, there is literally no reason to be there unless you're forced to.  Yet, they have an NFL team....

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Little known fact---the population of the city limits of Jacksonville is TWICE that of Miami.

Well known fact-Jacksonville is an absolute, out-and-out, shithole of the highest order.  It's like A&M opened up a city.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Little known fact---the population of the city limits of Jacksonville is TWICE that of Miami.

Well known fact-Jacksonville is an absolute, out-and-out, shithole of the highest order.  It's like A&M opened up a city.  

That's some funny shit right there.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just spent a few days there.  Good hell.

It supposedly has 1.5M people but I can't figure out why.  There's only one major company there (CSX), a bunch of olds, some golf courses and a beach.  No economy to speak of.

Also seems trashy AF.  Lots of rednecks.  Can't figure out what they do for a living to afford the lift kits on their trucks.  Florida Man is everywhere.

Why is this even a city?  If you're not into golf, there is literally no reason to be there unless you're forced to.  Yet, they have an NFL team....

You could say that about most if the State of Florida.

34 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You could say that about most if the State of Florida.

We joked about that, too.  It's a big state but economically, not much going on considering the size of it.

The ports of Savannah and Charleston are far bigger in comparison.  As for the auto, most of them are being exported through the two of those.

We put a roof on a Chick-fil-a in J'ville.  I didn't go, I knew better as I hate Florida, Floridians and all of the states you have to go through to get there from Houston.  I sent some of my employees.  They wanted to quit after the experience.  That's all I got.

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

that's weird (I believe you though).  Why would Japan send cars through Jacksonville instead of Long Beach or Seattle?  

LBC is probably the biggest.  jacksonville is a big export port on top of importing.  seattle is far from everything.

21 minutes ago, elfenix said:

LBC is probably the biggest.  jacksonville is a big export port on top of importing.  seattle is far from everything.

I guess all those auto plants in the southeast export?  I guess I always just thought they were building for the US market.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We joked about that, too.  It's a big state but economically, not much going on considering the size of it.

The ports of Savannah and Charleston are far bigger in comparison.  As for the auto, most of them are being exported through the two of those.

Economically it’s got a shit ton going on. It’s about half of Texas, a third of Cali and just behind NY. It’s firmly in the 4th spot. 

I don’t like Miami. Don’t care for Orlando, but both are centers of commerce. My only dalliance with Jville is flying there to get to Sea Island. I love NW Florida - Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, etc. Easy to get to from Dallas. Florida gets a bad rap here. 

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I was stationed in your ma's Camp LePoon.

And a lot of Marines went in and out of her port.  Her favorite position was Force Recunt.  

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Military isn't that big in J'ville.  There's a sub base and an air station (I think).  

Um, NS Mayport has 15+ ships home ported including an amphibious attack ship (The Iwo Jima, think small carrier), 4 cruisers and 4 destroyers.   The harbor is being prepped for nuclear aircraft carriers with the goal to have one there by 2019.     

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Um, NS Mayport has 15+ ships home ported including an amphibious attack ship (The Iwo Jima, think small carrier), 4 cruisers and 4 destroyers.   The harbor is being prepped for nuclear aircraft carriers with the goal to have one there by 2019.     

Did not know it had the military presence.  So, I guess it is a poor man's San Diego.  

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Economically it’s got a shit ton going on. It’s about half of Texas, a third of Cali and just behind NY. It’s firmly in the 4th spot. 

I don’t like Miami. Don’t care for Orlando, but both are centers of commerce. My only dalliance with Jville is flying there to get to Sea Island. I love NW Florida - Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, etc. Easy to get to from Dallas. Florida gets a bad rap here. 

But Sea Island and the Cloister are in Georgia.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

But Sea Island and the Cloister are in Georgia.

Oh really?  Of course they are.  Sea Island is about equidistant from Jville airport and Savannah airport and Jville is a much bigger one. 

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I was on the Tripoli, the previous Iwo Jima's sister ship. Surprisingly that ship has ties to Texum University. 

"Iwo Jima was decommissioned on 14 July 1993, and struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 24 September. She was sold for scrap on 18 December 1995. The ship's island was at the Museum Of The American GI in College Station, Texas for several years but due to no funding to make it fully functional again, the island had to be scrapped."

Not surprisingly the ties are sad and embarrassing. Cocksuckers make me sick to my stomach.

http://americangimuseum.org/exhibits/over-there-america-in-wwi/hullabaloo/

6 hours ago, MAROON said:

I guess all those auto plants in the southeast export?  I guess I always just thought they were building for the US market.

Little known fact: USA is 3rd largest vehicle exporter in the world (by value); roughly half the volume of Japan and a third the volume of Germany. 

http://www.worldstopexports.com/car-exports-country/

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

17 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You didn’t notice the two military bases?

Jacksonville is huge land wise. Oh when I was stationed there I chose to live in St John’s County. Not a bad place to raise a family.

In fact, it's the largest city by area in the entire contiguous (uh. Lower 48) United States.  It can take you 30 minutes of driving @ 60 mph to go in/go out of it.

I always thought it was kinda nice out there on the St. John's River.  The only other river besides the Dakotas' Red River that flows south to north in the entire continental U.S. as well.

tenor.gif

I was born and raised in Jacksonville.  There's a lot of truth in this thread, but there's some good to go along with the bad.

It's true that Jacksonville is a very redneck town.  If there were a competition for "most white trash" city in the country, Jacksonville is easily in the top three.  And it doesn't really have the southern charm of other, similar cities to offset its more colorful inhabitants.  On top of that, the crime rate is higher than similar-sized cities.

As for the economy, yeah, CSX is a big player in town, and so is the Navy.  The port doesn't just export cars, it's also a major supply terminal for the Marines.  But there are other big industries in town.  It's also got two big paper mills (which used to stink to high heaven when I was a kid, but they managed to clean up their act somehow), and Anheuser-Busch has a huge brewery there, too.

It's not a bad place to live.  Property values are pretty low, thanks to low population density.  The cost of living is below the national average.  It doesn't suffer from constant hurricane threats like other coastal cities in Florida.  There are lots of prosperous communities situated away from the redneck elements. There are plenty of museums, musical venues and other things to do.

I think Jacksonville suffers from an image problem.  It just isn't very glamorous - there's no real tourism to speak of, unless you're a golfer.  The beaches aren't pretty at all, especially compared to other Florida beaches.  No one wants to take a vacation to Jacksonville, after all. 

Except maybe Ash Williams.

tumblr_nybz02anHW1u3ev8zo1_1280.jpg