Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I meant I never put a word in before with the same letter twice, in any order.  Like I've never entered "BELLS."  I had it in my head that there were no multiple appearances of the same letter in the final word.  So I never bothered entering multiple appearances of the same letter in my 6 word tries.  But if I entered "BELLS" and the correct word was "BELTS"...would the first "L" show up as green and the second "L" show up as yellow or black?  Does that make sense?  I know I'm asking this confoundedly.  

Green = correct. Yellow = in word but not in correct position. Purple = not in word. 

The purple D boxes tell you that there is not a second D in the word.

Answer is drink.  https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/

spacer.png

Edited by retread

Yeah, I know how it works.  I was asking about double letters since I never used on before because I thought there was no point (until today's word with 'BB'---spoiler alert)

My question was would the second letter usage show up, if not green and right place, as yellow (because technically that letter is still in the word somewhere else) or as black (because the first usage indicator already told you what's what and from then on...it's black unless in the exact right spot?).  

I'm probably going to fuck up the spoiler tags here, so my apologies to anyone who has yet to play today's game but for some reason decided to catch up on the thread first, but I went to a different computer and entered this for today's game. Seems to answer Lobo's question. 

Spoiler

Goddammit 

Spoiler

20220113_155753.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

SO first redundant use of the letter (after the green one if placed correctly) will yield yellow?  Makes sense.  In the bizarre instance you use it three times, appears to be blacked/purpled.  Makes sense.  Coulda figured it out tomorrow with a word try but I like this thread for strategy but avoid it and google for actual cheating.  Plus I'm playing it against an Armenian arms dealer for one of my toes, so honor is on the line. 

2 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm probably going to fuck up the spoiler tags here, so my apologies to anyone who has yet to play today's game but for some reason decided to catch up on the thread first, but I went to a different computer and entered this for today's game. Seems to answer Lobo's question. 

Hide contents

Goddammit 

Reveal hidden contents

20220113_155753.jpg

I think we should re-declare the Revolutionary War if the Brits ever make that the word for the day.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

SO first redundant use of the letter (after the green one if placed correctly) will yield yellow?  Makes sense.  In the bizarre instance you use it three times, appears to be blacked/purpled.  Makes sense.  Coulda figured it out tomorrow with a word try but I like this thread for strategy but avoid it and google for actual cheating.  Plus I'm playing it against an Armenian arms dealer for one of my toes, so honor is on the line. 

Yes. The last two D's are not in the word in this example.

image.png

Yeah, that combo I figured out awhile back.  It was when one "B" was in the right place, but if you put another one in the wrong place, how would it show up before the final word.  Long story, got it.  Just wrapping my tiny brain around the game since double letters are actually a thing, I didn't know that until today's game.  And didn't want to google it for worry of seeing the final word.  

20 minutes ago, brown water said:

Hang on. If purple means not in word what does gray mean?  I’m having what color is this dress flashbacks 

Anyway… 

Wordle 209 3/6

🟨🟨
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I didn’t even know there was purple. Part of the curse of color blindness. I guess the purple is grey for me. Wow. The more you know. 

For those looking for more after their daily Wordle...

Try "ABSURDLE":  https://qntm.org/files/wordle/index.html

This game is similar to Wordle but works kinda in reverse.

Guesses are unlimited...

The game reduces possible words based on you guesses to try and "not" match.

Doesn't have the repeatability of Wordle, but pretty interesting either way, worth a couple plays.

Absurdle 6/∞

🟨

🟨
🟨🟩
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For those looking for more after their daily Wordle...

Try "ABSURDLE":  https://qntm.org/files/wordle/index.html

This game is similar to Wordle but works kinda in reverse.

Guesses are unlimited...

The game reduces possible words based on you guesses to try and "not" match.

Doesn't have the repeatability of Wordle, but pretty interesting either way, worth a couple plays.

Absurdle 6/∞

🟨

🟨
🟨🟩
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I've read the explanation and about 4 articles and still don't get Absurdle. I am a moron I guess.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I've read the explanation and about 4 articles and still don't get Absurdle. I am a moron I guess.

You really just have to jump in and try it.  The object is to use as many letters as possible quickly to force the game to eliminate as many words as possible.  That forces the game down to a single possibility that you can then guess.  The game will keep giving you all gray spaces as long as there are any words in its database that don't have any matches.

Here is an example of my play.  My first three guesses all used unique letters so that eliminated much of its database quickly

image.png.5506b78a7b7cfdf2e1b5ac748e82ce94.png

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You really just have to jump in and try it.  The object is to use as many letters as possible quickly to force the game to eliminate as many words as possible.  That forces the game down to a single possibility that you can then guess.

I tried and had three letters green then my next guess some of the greens disappeared. So if you get it wrong enough it can eliminate the progress you made?

Stumped me but also didn't have my normal patience. You can tell on line 4 I started to get annoyed.

Wordle 209 X/6

🟨🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟨
🟨
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

26 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Absurdle is definitely tougher than Wordle.

Absurdle 9/∞

🟨🟨
🟨🟨
🟨🟩
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I notice that on wordle there is a hard mode in which you must use the correct letter in all subsequent guesses. So if you get two letters on your initial guess you have to use them from then on, so you are down to 3 tiles of exploratory letters. 

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I notice that on wordle there is a hard mode in which you must use the correct letter in all subsequent guesses. So if you get two letters on your initial guess you have to use them from then on, so you are down to 3 tiles of exploratory letters. 

Interesting! 

Does it require you to keep those letters in the same location as soon as they're green? 

I'm beyond demented at this point.  Dozens of posts back somebody said something about today being Zesty.  So I had a vowel and a common consonant to go on from my first word.  And my second word, I immediately jumped to one of my favorite parts of a woman's anatomy.  And then got pissed off when that wasn't the right word, like I was somehow owed that by the universe.  And no it was not "I heart BOOBS"  spoiler alert