RIP Peter Bogdanovich

mr. sunshine

his hits were before my time and i didn’t know much about him, but i grew up with irreconcilable differences and loved it. 

then, about 20 years ago, i read “easy riders, raging bulls” and got to the part about him, the lps, cybil shepherd, and polly platt, and i was like holy fucking shit i know this story. 

and yeah, he pulls. 

Edited by henrygandorf

His arrogance ruined his career, he turned down The Godfather, The Exorcist and Chinatown. Billy Wilder once said “It isn’t true that Hollywood is a bitter place divided by hatred, greed and jealousy. All it takes to bring everyone together is another flop by Peter Bogdanovich.” Good on the Sopranos tho.

The Turner Classic Movies podcast revolving around him was really good. It's still on youtube, season one of The Plot Thickens. The extras at the end are old Bogdanovich interviews of legendary directors and actors is awesome. 

He wasn't a favorite director of mine by any stretch, but a couple of really good ones, especially Paper Moon. Doesn't seem like a great person. But he's been a great historian of some of the best Hollywood has to offer in its best era. He does really good audio commentaries, like the one he did for The Searchers video release.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Have never watched LPS, love Paper Moon.

I envy you.  LPS is damn beautiful.

As much as I liked LPS and Paper Moon, I simply didn't get any of the other PB flicks, other than Mask, which I thought was good but have never wanted to rewatch.  PB really knew his stuff and his interviews are great, as was the TCM podcast about him.

One of the best interviews I heard of PB was when he was talking about the tragedy of the lost Magnificent Ambersons.  How when Orson Welles original was screened, 90% of the viewers didn't like it and 10% thought it was the greatest movie they had ever seen.   And then the studio destroyed Welles original.

Guy really loved the movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

His arrogance ruined his career,

Given what he accomplished the arrogance is understandable.  Even if you throw out his movie directing career, he did a lot. 

Great interview with Marc Maron (Good god, Maron is a great interviewer and PB a great interviewee).

http://www.wtfpod.com/

This guy just took the bull by the horns and did shit.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, DougO said:

The Turner Classic Movies podcast revolving around him was really good. It's still on youtube, season one of The Plot Thickens. The extras at the end are old Bogdanovich interviews of legendary directors and actors is awesome. 

He wasn't a favorite director of mine by any stretch, but a couple of really good ones, especially Paper Moon. Doesn't seem like a great person. But he's been a great historian of some of the best Hollywood has to offer in its best era. He does really good audio commentaries, like the one he did for The Searchers video release.

I highly recommend that podcast.

It was fascinating.