Far Cry 5

Reese Bennett

I'm an old and don't do many games, but I do like shooters and really enjoyed Far Cry 4. What's the early word on Far Cry 5? How does it compare to 4? 

Any thoughts or reviews would be appreciated.

(I think I would enjoy shooting white supremacists bitches, but I'm never a first buy kind of guy.)

And yes, I know you reviewed my mom last night.

• Exploration is different. There’s no more relying on a radio tower to open up the map for you and reveal an overwhelming list of missions. Instead, as you can see in our video, you’ll defog the map simply heading in any direction and stumbling on quests in any particular order. Just by walking around and talking to characters, you’ll unlock new sidequests, including exploration-based “prepper” missions.

https://kotaku.com/far-cry-5-changes-a-lot-more-things-than-just-the-setti-1824027333

33 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I'm an old and don't do many games, but I do like shooters and really enjoyed Far Cry 4. What's the early word on Far Cry 5? How does it compare to 4? 

Any thoughts or reviews would be appreciated.

(I think I would enjoy shooting white supremacists bitches, but I'm never a first buy kind of guy.)

And yes, I know you reviewed my mom last night.

Figured it out.  I was thinking like OP

For me, it's a terrific franchise. They hold up very well, too. FC2 still looks great, as does FC3.

From the previews I've seen, I get the sense FC5 is vast and might get a little tedious (all in hopes of encouraging you to "boost" your gameplay for $$$ so you can get to the final act faster). I'll probably wait until 2019 when it dips below $20.

In case you haven’t played it, if you order the deluxe version of far cry 5 (any version that comes with the season pass), a downloadable copy of far cry 3 is included. Apparently you can also also just buy the season pass and it will come with that downloadable far cry 3. 

Not it sure if this is a limited time thing or not. 

I loved Far Cry 3 and did almost everything. Far Cry 4 was good, but it was more of the same. It didn't capture my interest the same way 3 did.  I'm looking forward to the fresh setting and sneaking around in dystopian America .  I did the Amazon Prime discount preorder thing, so I'll have it tomorrow night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

There are thousands of FC5 videos on YouTube, as well.

Far Cry 5: Inside Eden's Gate (Amazon Prime)

30 minute video (extended trailer).  Description:

Rumors of a fanatical cult called The Project at Eden's Gate lure three vloggers to remote Hope County, Montana. Following leads of missing locals and other strange events, the three infiltrate the cult. Shocked by what they uncover, they risk everything to warn the world. Featuring Greg Bryk (A History of Violence) and Kyle Gallner (American Sniper), and inspired by the Ubisoft game Far Cry 5.

This review pretty much sums it up:

Solid short film intro into Eden's Gate in Hope County and what they are all about. Most game companies have a 1-2 minute trailer for a game, but Ubisoft pulls out all of the stops again; first, The Division's short films (And movie announced), now Far Cry 5's 30 minute teaser to what appears to be where we (The very eager gamer) will start out in Far Cry 5.

So not necessary to play the game, but it is the backstory.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Far Cry 5: Inside Eden's Gate (Amazon Prime)

30 minute video (extended trailer).  Description:

This review pretty much sums it up:

So not necessary to play the game, but it is the backstory.

Nice, watching now, finally something to watch on Amazon Prime...

The Far Cry series has always been very fun (although repetitive). This latest one has BEAUTIFUL graphics. I just don't really like my sidekick dog being called Boomer...

5 hours ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

Nice, watching now, finally something to watch on Amazon Prime..

That 30-minute video was 30 minutes of being all over the place.  It's cool that Ubisoft does this stuff (they did one for The Division and Far Cry 3), but it feels like if they had put another million or two into it and gotten some better production out of that, it would have been a lot better.

Got the game yesterday, played through the intro section and did some co-op. It’s been a blast so far.  

Found a bow and liberated a camp completely undetected by sneaking around and taking everyone out quietly. Swapped it for a machine gun and went in to the next one guns blazing. 

Rescued a cougar and got it to join our party, that thing is deadly.

Then we jumped into a seaplane and flew around the area. We saw some bad guys in a boat, so we just came in low and smashed their boat with our plane then took off again.  

Stole a car and one of us stood on the hood while the other drove us into a group of bad guys as a rolling death machine. Unfortunately the cougar didn’t jump into the car with us, but it followed us and was around when we got out.

I’ve only played maybe 2 hours and as you can tell I haven’t focused on progressing the story at all, so I can’t say much about whether it’s good or bad. 

But the go anywhere from the start, do whatever you can think of gameplay is definitely here and feels great.

I did quickly learn to change the radio off of the cultists radio station whenever I take one of their vehicles.

So far I'm finding the stock 1911 to be the most fun gun in the game.  Looks good, sounds good, works good. I guess I'll probably roll with the 1911, bow, and an RPG now that I've opened up the third slot.  Never know when you might need a rocket.  

Don't forget to loot the silver bars from the outpost safes.  Apparently you can buy them with real money....but why?

3 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

So far I'm finding the stock 1911 to be the most fun gun in the game.  Looks good, sounds good, works good. I guess I'll probably roll with the 1911, bow, and an RPG now that I've opened up the third slot.  Never know when you might need a rocket.  

Don't forget to loot the silver bars from the outpost safes.  Apparently you can buy them with real money....but why?

The silver bars are one of the things giving me pause. Did they put enough to make to enjoyable or do you have to spend more real money to get all the cool stuff?

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

The silver bars are one of the things giving me pause. Did they put enough to make to enjoyable or do you have to spend more real money to get all the cool stuff?

From what I've seen, you can buy everything with the in game money (or by unlocking as you progress).  You don't even need the bars that you find.  There are a few things that have to go through that Ubi Club thing, but I somehow make coins or whatever in that just by buying the games.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

10 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

From what I've seen, you can buy everything with the in game money (or by unlocking as you progress).  You don't even need the bars that you find.  There are a few things that have to go through that Ubi Club thing, but I somehow make coins or whatever in that just by buying the games.  

yeah, in my experience so far, you can buy everything with the in game currency- to clarify, when you're looking in a shop's inventory, for the item's cost it will say something like "$1000 or 25 silver bars", so anything that can be purchased with the silver bars (microtransaction currency) can also be purchased with in-game dollars.

And as people have said here, there are also have plenty of silver bars available to find in the game, so they're not even really a microtransaction only currency, more like an alternative in-game currency that you can purchase more of using real world money.  People seem to be reporting that EVERY outpost you liberate has a stash of silver bars hidden somewhere inside- there's a little disagreement over this on reddit, but I have found silver bars in every outpost I've liberated when I actually looked for them.

On top of that, there are ways to make in game dollars super quickly by hunting animals and selling skins (stack up the perk that gives you double animal skins with the backpack perk to let you carry more skins, and use the bow to kill the animals, and you get 4 skins per kill, and can carry something like 10 skins of each animal in your inventory).  So even if you don't want to spend time looking through bases for silver bars, you can still make enough money to buy everything if you never find a single silver bar.

But even though it's easy to grind in game money, I actually haven't needed to do it at all yet, I've been able to buy stuff I wanted just from the money I've acquired by playing the game normally.  Although to be fair, I haven't bought any vehicles yet, just scopes and suppressors for weapons, so you'll probably need to grind if you want to buy everything.

All in all, a pretty painless and unobtrusive way to include microtransactions.  

I appreciated the inside joke when you fix the antenna tower and Dutch says, “I know what you’re thinking, don’t worry, I’m not gonna make you climb every tower on Hope Island...”

I think one of the reasons I lost interest in FC4 was because I didn’t feel like climbing 25 towers again.

I played a bit in each of the three territories (played enough in each territory to get a feel for it and unlock the companions), and just finished the first one. I went with Jacob’s territory first, it required the fewest points to finish, plus I wasn’t crazy about the mechanic of the forced missions that they throw in there. Won’t say too much else because I don’t see a spoiler tag option in the editor here. 

Anyway, I unlocked the parachute, wingsuit and air drop perks, and they’re great.  AirDrop gives you the option to drop from high in the sky  over your target whenever you fast travel.  Then you can cover a lot of ground from there with the wingsuit, so if you pick a fast travel point near an objective you haven’t visited yet, you can sometimes fly all the way there using the wingsuit.  It’s great in the mountains.

all in all, still a pretty good time.  The companions are great, the two companion perk is a must-have for me.  Also shovels (and melee weapons in general, but especially shovels) are amazingly overpowered.  I didn’t realize you could throw them like spears, they one shot basically everyone, and you can retrieve them after kills.  And there’s a perk that lets you carry 9 of them at a time that I think only costs 1 perk point. I took down an outpost using the dog (to tag enemies) and just the melee takedowns and thrown shovels without being detected. It’s great, I highly recommend the shovel life. 

• Like 1

the commercials look great.   I never played FC before but I did really enjoy Just Cause 3.   I just dont know if I have the time to devote to this with the little one now.    May have to wait for it to drop to $20 then I won't feel so bad if I dont play it.

3 hours ago, Jebus said:

... Won’t say too much else because I don’t see a spoiler tag option in the editor here. ...

Spoiler tags work the same here as they did on Shaggy, you just have to manually type the codes in at the moment as there isn't an icon in the editor to do it for you.

1 hour ago, BottleRocket said:

I haven't tried any of the arcade games within the game.  What do they do?

They all connect to the same Farcry arcade system. Basically it's user-created levels that you can play.  There are something like 4 or 5 different game types, and each map will be a specific type.  There's escape, bounty hunt, a few others that are single player or co-op.  I've played maybe 3 or 4 maps, so I can't say too much about it.

Then, there are also deathmatch maps, both solo deathmatch and team deathmatch.  I haven't played any of those yet, so I can't say how they are.

My general impression is that it's as you'd expect with user-generated content, there's some shit, some gold and a lot of in between.  There are maps made by UbiSoft, so those are probably pretty good. Kind of like they embedded a LittleBigPlanet type experience inside of Farcry. 

Something really nice about it is that you can get perk points for leveling up in the arcade (I think it's just basically like an XP type thing, kills/points/objectives go towards leveling up), and those perk points are the same as the ones from the main game- so you can get extra perks unlocked from the arcade.  It also gives you cash, same deal- you can use arcade cash to buy stuff in the game.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention to the press for the game, but I feel like this part has some pretty good potential and was actually kind of undersold. 

On 4/1/2018 at 11:39 PM, CurlyDumps said:

I appreciated the inside joke when you fix the antenna tower and Dutch says, “I know what you’re thinking, don’t worry, I’m not gonna make you climb every tower on Hope Island...”

I think one of the reasons I lost interest in FC4 was because I didn’t feel like climbing 25 towers again.

We should play some co-op, although it kind of sucks that they seem to have fucked up the progression in co-op, it's still fun to just run around and cause mayhem.  At least it was the one time I tried it.  

I didn't even recognize your new avatar.  Fuckin Kevin, scrambling the deck and fucking everything up.  what an asshole.

Not to shit on FC5 (I'll be buying a copy in about a year once it's on sale for less than $20), but having played every offering in the FC franchise, it's a tad disappointing how the physics have been dumbed down over the years. Here's a great comparison that illustrates what I mean:

FC2 was by no means perfect, but it was--and still is--unlike anything else. Amazing how the graphics have held up despite being nearly 10 years old.

• Like 1