Far Cry 5

Reese Bennett

I haven't played that much but did get peaches and never added her to my team. Did it last night and holy shit, let me kill something would ya peaches? Straight murder kitty.

I find myself running around gta style killing everything I can. Mostly I die a lot. Last night I was just walking across a road when 2 trucks jumped me. Peaches and I made quick work of the 4 guys, then a spotter called for reinforcements. I ran my ass off for 20 min, killed two helos and almost had the plane down when I was shot point blank in the back. Insanely fun game imo.

• Like 1

Taken care of John and Faith (man, she was annoying). Close to showdown with Caleb and I assume the end with Joseph.  Here’s what I’m packing:

M-60 LMG with optical sight, silencer, and extended magazine. Good all-around gun.

SA-50 Rifle with long range scope, silencer, and extended magazine.  Great semi-auto sniper rifle.

SPAS-12 semi-auto  shotgun with optical sight, silencer, and extended mag with incendiary ammo. Great for when things get crazy and it’s fun taking helicopters and planes down with fire.

M-79 grenade launcher in my pistol slot. Lots of power and great for dealing with trucks and blowing up shrines.

Boomer and Peaches are the best combo of helpers.

18 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Taken care of John and Faith (man, she was annoying). Close to showdown with Caleb and I assume the end with Joseph.  Here’s what I’m packing:

M-60 LMG with optical sight, silencer, and extended magazine. Good all-around gun.

SA-50 Rifle with long range scope, silencer, and extended magazine.  Great semi-auto sniper rifle.

SPAS-12 semi-auto  shotgun with optical sight, silencer, and extended mag with incendiary ammo. Great for when things get crazy and it’s fun taking helicopters and planes down with fire.

M-79 grenade launcher in my pistol slot. Lots of power and great for dealing with trucks and blowing up shrines.

Boomer and Peaches are the best combo of helpers.

How do you get the extra weapon slots?  Crafting or perk points?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

What is the consensus, worth playing but not worth $60? Wait for a price drop?

I finished pretty much everything, left out about half the Clutch Nixon stunt quests, and got 70+ hours of gameplay out of it. Pure single player story, no coop or arcade. I feel like I certainly got my money's worth from a content perspective but it's pretty lacking in the story department. Yeah, worth playing but wait for a Steam sale or whatever.

• Like 1

Started playing on PC last night. Very fun and good fluid movement - you are kind of a superhero with the speed. Seems kind of like it will be similar to 3 and 4, which is fine, but those got pretty repetitive after a while. The game is also pretty easy on normal. Maybe I should put it on hard for more of a challenge. Got boomer but I honestly just want to make him hang back so I don't have to listen to him getting shot. 

On 3/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, Reese Bennett said:

I'm an old and don't do many games, but I do like shooters and really enjoyed Far Cry 4. What's the early word on Far Cry 5? How does it compare to 4? 

Any thoughts or reviews would be appreciated.

(I think I would enjoy shooting white supremacists bitches, but I'm never a first buy kind of guy.)

And yes, I know you reviewed my mom last night.

LOL. Didn't quite go as you planned. Not sure where you got that this game was about white supremacists?

It's about a violent fake-religious cult, which is supposed to be an antagonist that is completely uniting to anyone and everyone that is not a member of a violent fake-religious cult.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, GotThatFire said:

LOL. Didn't quite go as you planned. Not sure where you got that this game was about white supremacists?

It's about a violent fake-religious cult, which is supposed to be an antagonist that is completely uniting to anyone and everyone that is not a member of a violent fake-religious cult.

Man, you know the Seeds are locking all the brothers out of those bunkers when the shit goes down. 

Damn, this game is pretty fun. Every time I'm trying to get some things done random shit happens and I waste all my explosives.

The compounds are pretty easy, but maybe it's because there's good woods around most of them and I'm on the early stages with a sniper rifle. Also, playing though 3 and 4 helps a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

got this game about a week and a half ago and it's fucking awesome. used a couple of nifty youtube videos ("how to make money" and "best hunting areas") and i was off and running. Jess Black is everything, i have her at my side at all times. essentially being invisible to animals is invaluable. i've knocked out john's region, and am probably 90% done with the other two regions. also done with the outposts. just an all around badass game from top to bottom thus far. way better than far cry 4.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:31 PM, The Other White Meat said:

Well that was disappointing. No spoilers but damn did I hate that ending. Loved the animal companions, Cheeseburger is my spirit animal. Hands down least favorite of the series though.

damn, that was disappointing. oh well, still a fun game that was worth the $40. also, if i enjoy a game like this, then i like to get good at it, then fuck around and get awesome at it. i really enjoy resetting all of the outposts, which im about to do now, and seeing how good i can get at liberating them. i've seen some videos on youtube that are just comical, but it gives me something to shoot for. these people are to far cry 5 what i was to tony hawk's pro skater- total mastery of the game.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

still playing this. spent all this time since my last post just maxing our everything i could- as mentioned got as good as i could at liberating the outposts, along with seeing how much $ i could make hunting in just one day, things like that. also beat the game on the highest level (ultimate? can't remember), then played on easy just for fun. a couple nights ago i started all the way over from the beginning with a brand new game and i'm really enjoying it again. having/needing to collect so much stuff to advance but knowing how/where to do it and it's almost like a whole new game that i'm just really good at. 

Thanks for the bump--made the thread easy to find.

Purchased FC5 during the Steam Summer Sale after it finally dipped below my $20 threshold. Overall, decent game as liberating outposts and random encounters with beasts and cultists are always fun, but this was probably my least favorite of the series to date.

For one, it was very short--63 hours for 100 percent completion on Hard and I play slow and stealthy and usually walk from location to location. FC3 and FC4 both required over 100 hours to complete. Even Far Cry Primal took longer (67 hours).

Second, as others have mentioned, the ending is inexcusably poor. Wasn't surprised as there were plenty of hints, yet the writers still managed to one-up my extremely low expectations with their lack of logic, effort, and originality. Could rant for paragraphs but will spare y'all the boredom and potential spoilering.

Some other thoughts:

Very much enjoyed the setting. The flagrantly hostile skunks and bald eagles always gave me a chuckle.

Also appreciated the manyfold increase in fast travel locations and being able to receive and track multiple quests instead of the previously serial format.

Eliminating the mini-map was an improvement. So was retaining the core combat functions. Perhaps the greatest appeal of the FC series from 3 onwards is you can step in and out whenever you like with little skill deterioration because there's virtually no learning curve.

That said, it's unfortunate there isn't more depth or heart to this title (though the same could be said about every FC game since 2). I never developed a sense of "home" because progression moved so quickly (and relatively easily). You're just skipping from one place to the next and wiping out enemies along the way until you're done.

Also, the prestige weapons--which you can purchase with in-game earnings--allow you to immediately ramp up to your strongest rather than having to "pay your dues" with lesser weapons until you can unlock better ones. For example, the only outpost I didn't liberate undetected was the first one because I didn't have a sniper rifle. But after completing that mission and selling some skins, I had a silenced high-end sniper, the M-79 grenade launcher, and a silenced automatic sidearm.

Weapon variety was disappointing, too.

All in all, I'd give it three out of five stars. Not a bad game, but the potential for something much better is there. Unfortunately, Ubisoft has a formula and they're sticking with it.

yeah i wish the game had probably 50% more options for guns/weapons than it did as well. i mean the smg class is just shameful, and none of the other classes are much better. 

i think the setting is why i like this one so much. i mean FC5 doesn't come close to FC3 (although i like it more than FC4), but i really love the setting and like braff said, just walking from place to place, mission to mission, letting it happen as i go.