ACT/SAT scores: football players vs students (30 years ago)

Armybrat

LOL unless you are top 6% and just want to go the liberal arts route (ie no business, engineering, etc) an 1104/24 will get dirt kicked in your face at Texas these days.  

The scales have changed. Current gen couldn’t handle real scores or grades.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

LOL unless you are top 6% and just want to go the liberal arts route (ie no business, engineering, etc) an 1104/24 will get dirt kicked in your face at Texas these days.  

An 1100 in 1990 was much higher than an 1100 today. They have revised the scale several times since. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The only two schools I applied to were Texas and Rice. I scored higher than the Texas average and lower than the Rice average, which was 1300 in 1990. I only ever considered Texas.

8 or 9 of the top 15 in my HS class went to aggy, and I was the only one who went to Texas. The t-shirt fan effect was real at the time. 

My college admission process consisted of taking the SAT the Saturday  after the last day of school my junior year with a massive hangover (thanks mom for scheduling it that day), and getting a postcard in the mail a few weeks later from UT asking me what I wanted to major in.  I checked business and returned it the next day.  Next time I gave it any thought was when I had to schedule my orientation session.  1992.  Simpler times.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

Went in the Marine Corps in June of 89.

That SAT/ACT comparison would be high comedy.  LOL

I joined the USAF in '99. We both picked the right time to join, if hot sand is your thing. 😄

I scored great on the ASVAB and AFOQT, and much like my SAT scores, no one ever cared 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What’s your favorite flavor of crayon?

Periwinkle?

Trust me, there's plenty of cross-branch shit-talking in my house.  I love it.

An 1100 in 1990 was much higher than an 1100 today. They have revised the scale several times since. 

I took the SAT for fun in 90. No idea what I made, but my mom could probably tell me. ACT was high enough.

Didn’t you need a minimum as an athlete on ACT a 15? That seems like the number I recall.

24 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I took the SAT for fun in 90. No idea what I made, but my mom could probably tell me. ACT was high enough.

Didn’t you need a minimum as an athlete on ACT a 15? That seems like the number I recall.

May be wrong but thought it was 20 or 25 in 1970s?

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My college admission process consisted of taking the SAT the Saturday  after the last day of school my junior year with a massive hangover (thanks mom for scheduling it that day), and getting a postcard in the mail a few weeks later from UT asking me what I wanted to major in.  I checked business and returned it the next day.  Next time I gave it any thought was when I had to schedule my orientation session.  1992.  Simpler times.

Whoa.  Almost the exact same here.  Knowing I was already accepted to UT going into my senior year of high school was not a good thing.  I damn near f'd up and skipped so many classes as to not be allowed to walk.

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Whoa.  Almost the exact same here.  Knowing I was already accepted to UT going into my senior year of high school was not a good thing.  I damn near f'd up and skipped so many classes as to not be allowed to walk.

Same, but I had blackmail material on the principal so I pretty much did whatever the fuck I wanted.

• Haha 1

In the early to mid 80's you automatically got in with an 1100 on the SAT.  Parents made me take it in the 10th grade.  Made 1100 on the dot.  I don't remember doing much high school homework after that.

Edited by CTC2

Yea and this is what I was saying.  An 1104 90-92 translates roughly to something like a 1220, maybe 1230 today.  Again not absolutely but generally you do that and Texas is going to say, "go play intramurals brotha"

Crazy how different it is now.  I got a 1300 flat in 1994 (well 93 when I took it) and UT, the business school etc was never a doubt.  I told my daughter who is a freshman there now (no pics) that I would probably have been kicked to the curb hard today.  

1130, Junior year, the Saturday morning after Old High/ Rider game. Never took it again. 

Sure wish I would have had some better guidance on school/ military combos and available schollies. I had the same philosophy as Snacks above.

I was a better test taker than I was a student when I was young.  HS had been pretty easy, UT kicked my ass around a bit before I settled in.  I don't think the tests are useless and not sure they should be completely eliminated but I also know plenty of examples on both sides of the score range where it didn't mean shit to how good/bad a particular college student was.