2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

On a dreary Saturday afternoon searching for baseball news...

Round Rock Classic, Dell Diamond,  Feb 25-27, Stanford, Arkansas, ULL, Indiana.    Seems unusual to have no Texas teams,  plus we host Alabama that weekend so attendance may suffer.   Stanford will play UTSA in San Antonio on Monday, Feb 28 for anyone in that area.

Tommy Nicholson left Stanford after being  selected to be the head coach at UC Davis in December.   He hired the pitching coach for the Santa Barbara Foresters (elite college Summer team) and the hitting coach from Sacramento St,  also a good recruiter.

UC Davis was the univ that suspended the baseball team amid a hazing scandal resulting in the resignation of the coaching staff (link below).   Not the ideal place to begin a head coaching career.   They have lacked support, facilities, and iirc,  their field does not have lights.   In the Big West with Fullerton,  Irvine, Hawaii, Long Beach and that bunch so a challenging league.

Good luck,  Tommy !    Lifetime Longhorn, do us proud !

Four months after suspending its baseball program, UC Davis announced Friday that the team’s head coach was resigning after an investigation revealed young players had for years been subjected to hazing rituals that included binge drinking, strippers and “threats about sodomy.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/uc-davis-suspends-entire-baseball-program-over-misconduct/ar-AAMaw52?ocid=msedgntp

I won't say it's criminal to have Stanford in Austin and not playing Texas.  But it's up there.

My favorite recent T.Nic memory is getting him to flash us a horns up while he was coaching 3rd base at Sunken Diamond.

If he can coach em up at UC Davis, he can punch a ticket anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, petscii said:

I won't say it's criminal to have Stanford in Austin and not playing Texas.  But it's up there.

My favorite recent T.Nic memory is getting him to flash us a horns up while he was coaching 3rd base at Sunken Diamond.

If he can coach em up at UC Davis, he can punch a ticket anywhere.

Agree,  we could have played them Monday and saved them a trip to SA.   Wonder if they asked, likely ?

The animosity between Pierce and Esquer must run deep.    Was it the wet field or other conditions ?   Tough to see that long tradition be cancelled.

During the Friday night game the word in the stands was that the series was not going to continue and that it was being replaced with Vanderbilt.  This was before any rainy day stuff.   We were also supposed to have a home and away series at Cal State Fullerton that fell victim to COVID. 

I think Pierce would rather play east of Lubbock on his road trips.  I can't say I blame him, but living in Seattle, I was spoiled by a two hours flight to see the baseball team play in California so many times while Augie was in charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Augie just wanted to enjoy that Cali weather in winter...of course the Bay area has shitty weather year round so that doesn't explain Stanford.

I believe it was related to his daughter and maybe some grandchildren.  ;)

Edited by petscii

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Augie just wanted to enjoy that Cali weather in winter...of course the Bay area has shitty weather year round so that doesn't explain Stanford.

1 hour ago, petscii said:

I believe it was related to his daughter and maybe some grandchildren.  ;)

Also,  Augie and Mark Marquess, Stanford coach, were very close friends.   Series started in '98 and was beneficial for both teams in recruiting and RPI. 

iirc,  Augie's daughter lived in Arizona but like petscii,   a shorter trip to Palo Alto.

Two of the best:

image.jpeg.0eb8dff0c931fe5ebd873cfa7d8a87fe.jpeg

College baseball for the Metroplex.

State Farm Showdown,  Globe Life Field, Feb 18-20  Tech, KSt, OU, Arizona, Auburn, Michigan

Frisco Classic, Mar 4-6,  aggy, Iowa, Wich St, Wash St

https://www.arlingtontx.gov/news/my_arlington_t_x/news_stories/2022_state_farm_college_baseball_showdown

https://www.friscoclassic.com/

• Like 1

aggy has a very similar schedule from last year.   Frisco Classic is only away series before conference play ,  home patsies against Fordham, Lamar, Penn, HBU, Tarleton, Santa Clara,  UH (good team).   Schlossnagle probably inherited the schedule.   Suppose thinking is conference play is all you need for RPI.

They have 15 transfers, notably Micah Dallas, RHP from Tech, who beat us last year in game 2.    @slorch,  any info on why Dallas transferred  ? (Jr this year)

(don't want to bore with aggy info,  but I am concerned with their coaching staff.   On paper,  a good one)

"keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/roster 

2 hours ago, torre said:

They have 15 transfers, notably Micah Dallas, RHP from Tech, who beat us last year in game 2.    @slorch,  any info on why Dallas transferred  ? (Jr this year)

Can't believe he didn't go to Baylor.

brother, Bo, pitches for Oklahoma Baptist University … father captained his team as an All-Conference basketball player for Baylor University ... mother also graduate from Baylor .

He was also home-schooled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

True, but it's fun to talk about.  Those delusional yokels think they are a baseball blue blood.

The one thing that sucked about tcu knocking them off in typical aggy fashion in 2015 and 16 was that it wasn’t us. Restarting the football and basketball “rivalries” with them is gonna suck. Going back to sweeping em to end their season while we prep for Omaha is gonna be glorious. Playing and beating them in the regionals has been a nice fix, but nothing like the good ole days of constantly sweeping those worthless fucktards

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, torre said:

State Farm Showdown,  Globe Life Field, Feb 18-20  Tech, KSt, OU, Arizona, Auburn, Michigan

https://www.arlingtontx.gov/news/my_arlington_t_x/news_stories/2022_state_farm_college_baseball_showdown

Jr is a big UM fan, just gave him this link and he’s making plans to go.  His wife is a TT grad, so Friday could be date night for them. 

On 1/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, torre said:

Iowa and Wichita State sure are playing each other a lot in Texas this year.  Right now both are also scheduled to be in the Kleberg Bank Classic at Whataburger Field February 26th-28th with island aggy and Pepperdine.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I would imagine playing Baseball in Iowa and Kansas in early March is generally not much fun.

It fucking blows.  Even high school baseball growing up, we started first half of March and it was fucking miserable in NE Illinois.  Plus batting with mittens on was hard ;) .  And you just had to grin 'n bear it for 2 games a week until close to Easter, can't imagine 4 or 5 games a week to open the season up there.  And the fucking wind in Kansas that time of year.  I don't know how they do it. 

I remember pitchers for Wednesday night games in H.S., they would take their coats up to the mound and leave it on the backside with the rosin bag. They'd wear it during warmup pitches and take it off seconds before the first batter.  And then if a coach talked to one of his batters or pinch hitter or mound visit, they'd slip it on real quick to their one arm if even just for 45 seconds.  Obviously against the rules to keep a puffy coat on the back of the mound, but for the first month of the season...no umpire ever said a fucking word about it.  

I can still hear and smell the game in cold weather though, it does sound and feel different when it's in the 30's or 40's.  The balls, the bats, the gloves, even the wall breaks off a bat and hits a gust up high.  I imagine it's a different game for y'all down here back in the day as well.  You get into summer league play and the way the schedules are stacked in those things, I'm sure y'all had double headers at like Noon and 4pm just baking out there trying not to pass out.  Hard to say which is more challenging.  I mean the game is played by "the Boys of Summer", but it was largely played in Back East & Midwest for 75 years where the summers are mild.  I'm sure at one point, some MLB executive in Atlanta or Dallas in August saw some people passing out from heatstroke and pulled a Gob Bluth, "I've made a huge mistake." 

Another reason to be thankful for Disch-Falk Field.  The coldest, wettest, hottest, muggiest, driest college baseball stadium in the South.  If you don't like today's game weather, come back tomorrow when it'll be totally fucking different.  

It's no picnic in Texas, either.  We were in baseball from the start of the second semester and did our own informal workouts and practices starting in January.  It was cold.  Batting sucked.  Catching sucked.  I still have some shoulder pain in my left shoulder from being insufficiently warmed up and reaching for a fly.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

That sucks. No fan of Arky but hate to see it. Gutted for that kid.

True.   Junior this year - draft year. 

Looking at Ark schedule,  parallels aggy -  all non-conf home games against patsies except the Round Rock Classic.   Gives them time to audition a replacement.

Thanks for the info @Don Johnson

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-basebl/schedule/

Any news of Hagen Smith out of Bullard who's a freshman at Arkansas this year? Still can't believe he past up being drafted but his grandad (mom side) is from up that way and i'm sure had him watching everything piggy growing up. I went to school with his uncle and my brother lived next to the grandparents when he lived in Bullard. Anyway, enough of that, just wondering if anyone has heard or can give a link to his progress with the team. 

9 minutes ago, BERT said:

Any news of Hagen Smith out of Bullard who's a freshman at Arkansas this year? Still can't believe he past up being drafted but his grandad (mom side) is from up that way and i'm sure had him watching everything piggy growing up. I went to school with his uncle and my brother lived next to the grandparents when he lived in Bullard. Anyway, enough of that, just wondering if anyone has heard or can give a link to his progress with the team. 

He's expected to be an immediate impact player.  Likely weekend starter even before Pallette went down.  A few blurbs on him from the D1 preview:

Top Newcomer: Take your pick between blue-chip freshmen Stovall and Smith or big-ticket D-I transfers Jace Bohrofen, Chris Lanzilli and Michael Turner. All of them will be huge difference makers. But we already included Stovall in the “star power” section, so let’s give the nod to Smith, a funky low-slot lefty with supreme feel for pitching. Even as a true freshman, Smith might have the best present combination of stuff and pitchability on the entire staff, and we expect him to be a fixture in the rotation right away.

From the Fall

The fourth top contender for a starting job is true freshman Hagen Smith, the other crown jewel of this year’s recruiting class along with Stovall. Hobbs and Van Horn couldn’t stop raving about Smith, and I saw why in Monday’s scrimmage, when he breezed through three scoreless innings. A loose, athletic low three-quarters lefthander with advanced feel for pitching, Smith carved up the zone at 91-93 mph with heavy sink, a sharp slider at 79-82 that he commands very well, and a very good 83-86 changeup with fade and sink that he’ll throw against lefties as well as righties. Though he’s only a freshman and he has yet to proven himself at the D-I level, Smith might have the best combination of stuff and pitchability on the entire staff, and he’s going to be a big star — sooner rather than later. And his high school track record in Texas is loud: he threw seven no-hitters in his career at Bullard High School.

Here is a good pre-draft article on the kid

To say a pitcher was unhittable can be hyperbolic, but more times than not, that was accurate for Hagen Smith in 2021.

As a senior at Bullard High in Texas, the left-hander threw seven no-hitters, tying a Texas high school baseball record, and had another four one-hitters while allowing just two runs in 12 appearances.

“I felt really good this year,” Smith told HawgBeat. “I was really confident this year, that was basically my main thing that helped me in my game, I think.”

The numbers Smith put up in this season don’t even look real. He went 11-0 with a minuscule 0.19 ERA and 0.45 WHIP and also had a whopping 168 strikeouts in 73 innings, asserting himself as one of the top prep pitchers in the country.

Much like Dave Van Horn with Kevin Kopps, Bullard head coach Robert Ellis could relax when Smith was on the mound for the Panthers.

“I didn’t even really have to pay attention, to be honest,” Ellis said. “There was never a game or a situation that he was not in complete control of.”

Ellis isn’t your average high school baseball coach, either. He was a third-round pick out of Northwestern State in 1990 and played professionally for 15 years, including parts of four seasons in the big leagues. In 2001, he pitched alongside Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, helping the Diamondbacks win the World Series.

Since retiring in 2005, Ellis has held various positions across all levels of the sport. Most recently, he was with the Dodgers last year before deciding to stay closer to home and coach the local high school team, Bullard High.

Over that time, Ellis has worked with the likes of former big leaguer Philip Humber, current big leaguers Josh Tomlin and A.J. Minter, and top prospects Bryce Elder and Grayson Rodriguez. The latter of the group, Rodriguez was the 11th overall pick in the 2018 MLB Draft and is currently the top pitching prospect in the Orioles organization.

“Hagen Smith is better than (Rodriguez),” Ellis said. “I coached them both. I will stand behind it. If I had not coached them both, I couldn’t say that, but having coached both of them, they both exhibit a lot of the same qualities. The only separator for me is Hagen’s a better athlete. He’s a better mover.”

Ellis went on to describe the 6-foot-3, 210-pound left-hander as a “unicorn in the pitching realm” and continually praised him as one of the best pitching prospects he’s been around.

“He’s hands down the most gifted mover, thrower I’ve ever been around and I’ve been around the best in the business,” Ellis said. “He has incredible feel. For a power arm to have that kind of feel is a rare thing in the industry.”

On top of Smith’s abilities on the mound, he’s a “very cerebral” player and very advanced in that area of the game for his age. He already knows how to utilize data from things like TrackMan and Rapsodo to enhance his pitch arsenal.

The biggest question mark for scouts and professional teams considering drafting him out of high school, though, is his health. Smith missed all of 2020 because of Tommy John surgery he had going into his junior year.

However, he trusted the process and it led to him coming back nicely this season, as evidenced by his incredible numbers.

“I had Tommy John surgery twice, so I kind of helped him along with that, understanding what it takes through the process to on-ramp him properly and do things to have success,” Ellis said. “He followed the program to a T, to perfection, so hats off to him.”

As talented as he is, though, Smith is still considered a top prospect in this month’s MLB Draft, which is July 11-13. He is No. 117 on MLB Pipeline’s list of the top 250 draft prospects, while Prospects Live and Perfect Game have him at No. 145 and No. 166, respectively.

That would put him somewhere in the fourth-sixth rounds, with slot values ranging from just over $300,000 to just under $500,000. There has been some speculation that Smith’s parents really want him to go to school, though, so he may turn down the money to play for the Razorbacks.

“Honestly, I’m going in there with no expectations for the draft, just see what happens,” Smith said. “(My parents) are supportive either way. They’ll help me in my decision whenever I figure out what I want to do eventually.”

While it remains to be seen what happens with the draft, what is certain for now is that Smith is already on campus. He and fellow 2021 signees Austin Ledbetter, Drake Varnado and Vincent Trapani moved into their dorm last weekend and have already begun workouts with the team.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t still sign a professional contract, but Ellis - who said he hasn’t advised him one way or the other - said he believes Smith will end up pitching for the Razorbacks.

“I just know right now he’s on campus at Arkansas, he loves it, he’s excited about that opportunity and wherever Hagen feels he’s going to continue to grow as a person and as a player, that’s where he’s going to land,” Ellis said. “Going to Arkansas, he’s so excited about it, it would take a pretty high pick and a lot of money to stop him from doing that, I think.”

If he doesn’t get drafted or chooses not to sign professionally, Arkansas would be getting one of the top players in the country. Ranked No. 67 overall in the Class of 2021 by Perfect Game, Smith was named the 2021 Texas Player of the Year by PBR and chose the Razorbacks over Florida and Texas A&M.

Despite his mom’s side of the family living in the Natural State, Smith said he didn’t really know much about Arkansas before the recruiting process. It was a trip to Fayetteville for a fall scrimmage that made up his mind this is where he wanted to play in college.

“When I went on my visit, we came here for a fall baseball game a couple years ago and I fell in love with it,” Smith said. “The fans were insane, I’ve never seen anything like it, and the campus is amazing. … It really felt like home here.”

He’s yet to witness a regular-season game at Baum-Walker Stadium, but said he caught as many games as he could on TV this season. He watched the Razorbacks go virtually wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in the country despite not having a set weekend rotation for much of the year.

Arkansas is also likely losing Patrick Wicklander and Kevin Kopps to the MLB Draft and has already lost Lael Lockhart (graduation) and Caleb Bolden (transfer). They accounted for nearly half of the Razorbacks’ innings pitched last season, so there will be plenty of spots up for grabs this fall.

“I’m just trying to get really strong and I hope to earn my spot to play this coming year,” Smith said. “Honestly, I’ll do whatever they need me to, but I just really want to get some innings and work my way up.”

Smith certainly has the stuff to be an immediate contributor in the SEC. After sitting 91-93 mph with his fastball early on this spring, his velocity ticked up to the 92-95 range as he continued to get more comfortable following his Tommy John surgery.

He’s already touched 97 mph on the radar gun and Ellis believes he could sit 95-98 mph next spring as a freshman. In fact, the former big leaguer believes triple-digit velocity is in Smith’s future, comparing him to former Tennessee standout Garrett Crochet.

“He’s just scratching the surface,” Ellis said. “You could easily project him to be a guy that’s going to pitch 97-100, you may even see some 101s, 102s. He reminds me a lot of the Crochet kid from the University of Tennessee. He’s that good of a mover.”

Crochet was eventually the 11th overall pick in last year’s MLB Draft and became just the 22nd player to skip the minor leagues entirely and go straight from the draft to the big leagues.

Ellis bases his prediction of that velocity jump on the TrackMan and Rapsodo data he’s seen on Smith, as well as the technical changes he’s made to his delivery since coming back from Tommy John.

“How he takes the ball out of the glove is in a neutral spot, which puts minimal stress on the arm,” Ellis said. “He’s changed that. He used to be long and pronate out of his glove. Well now, he’s short and in a neutral position, which takes complete stress off the arm and that’s what’s going to allow him to have that significant climb. He has incredible hip-shoulder separation already.”

It’s not all about velocity for Smith either, as he has a four-pitch mix.

His curveball is 77-79 mph and he has a slider that sits 82-84 mph, the latter of which is a new pitch that he didn’t start throwing until late in his senior year. Ellis believes it will be a big pitch for him because it’ll give him a second breaking ball to attack hitters with.

The fourth pitch in Smith’s arsenal is a changeup, but he didn’t have to use it much until facing some better teams in the playoffs because opponents were never really on his fastball. Despite its lack of usage, it has a chance to be a “plus-plus” pitch for him, Ellis said.

In addition to his stuff, Smith also has the mentality coaches want in a pitcher.

“The really good pitchers in the game, they have a second gear and it’s more relaxed looking,” Ellis said. “It almost looks boring when you watch him. You’re like, ‘Golly, is this kid even interested?’ He’s so internalized to what he’s about to do, outwardly it doesn’t show up.”

That second gear may not be visible in his actions on the mound, but Ellis said it shows up in the results because Smith’s pitches get even better.

Ellis also made it a point to mention that Smith is an excellent teammate, as well. He hasn’t let the accolades and attention from scouts, which have been there since early in his high school career, get to his head.

“I just can’t say enough good about Hagen Smith,” Ellis said. “He’s really going to be a huge asset for the culture there with Arkansas. He’s going to really fit in with that culture and that mindset that they have there, which is awesome.

“He seems like a very reserved and quiet guy, but when he puts that uniform on and he’s with his teammates, man, he is so good. He lets the pitching and the things he does on the field speak for itself.”

Edited by Don Johnson

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

He's expected to be an immediate impact player.  Likely weekend starter even before Pallette went down.  A few blurbs on his from the D1 preview:

Top Newcomer: Take your pick between blue-chip freshmen Stovall and Smith or big-ticket D-I transfers Jace Bohrofen, Chris Lanzilli and Michael Turner. All of them will be huge difference makers. But we already included Stovall in the “star power” section, so let’s give the nod to Smith, a funky low-slot lefty with supreme feel for pitching. Even as a true freshman, Smith might have the best present combination of stuff and pitchability on the entire staff, and we expect him to be a fixture in the rotation right away.

From the Fall

The fourth top contender for a starting job is true freshman Hagen Smith, the other crown jewel of this year’s recruiting class along with Stovall. Hobbs and Van Horn couldn’t stop raving about Smith, and I saw why in Monday’s scrimmage, when he breezed through three scoreless innings. A loose, athletic low three-quarters lefthander with advanced feel for pitching, Smith carved up the zone at 91-93 mph with heavy sink, a sharp slider at 79-82 that he commands very well, and a very good 83-86 changeup with fade and sink that he’ll throw against lefties as well as righties. Though he’s only a freshman and he has yet to proven himself at the D-I level, Smith might have the best combination of stuff and pitchability on the entire staff, and he’s going to be a big star — sooner rather than later. And his high school track record in Texas is loud: he threw seven no-hitters in his career at Bullard High School.

Here is a good pre-draft article on the kid

Thanks man.

I'm sure it also didn't hurt that his dad was a catcher growing up too

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting - Piggy fansite did a composite preseason poll: https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/2022-rivals-preseason-composite-baseball-poll

2022 Rivals Preseason Composite Baseball Poll

ft6zooxwyxulwmyfy5q8
Andrew Hutchinson • HawgBeat
Managing Editor

Unlike its counterparts in football and basketball, college baseball does not have a universally accepted top 25 like the AP Poll. Instead, there are six major polls that schools and publications reference on various occasions, which can create confusion among fans.

To help with that, HawgBeat - the Arkansas site in the Rivals network - will create a single poll that combines the rankings by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball, Perfect Game, the NCBWA and the USA Today Coaches Poll.

Giving 25 points to the No. 1 team in each poll, 24 points to No. 2, all the way down to 1 point to No. 25, the teams with the 25 highest point totals are listed below, with the "receiving votes" section including each team that was in the top 25 of at least one poll but not within the highest 25.

The "high/low" column features each team's highest and lowest ranking of the week.

Preseason Poll Notes

~Texas is nearly a unanimous preseason No. 1, but Perfect Game put the Longhorns at No. 2 and gave Vanderbilt its top spot. Similarly, the Commodores are No. 2 by all but Perfect Game (No. 1) and D1Baseball (No. 3).

~In addition to the Longhorns and Commodores, only three other teams - Mississippi State, Stanford and LSU - are in the top 10 of each major poll. There are 11 more schools that appear in at least one top 10.

~It seems to be another strong year in the SEC, with the conference taking up six of the top nine spots in the Composite Poll. Two other SEC teams are inside the top 25, meaning eight of the conference's 14 teams are ranked entering the 2022 season.

~The conference breakdown of the rest of the Composite Poll includes six teams from the ACC, five from the Pac-12, four from the Big 12 and one each from the American and Big West.

2022 Rivals Preseason Composite Baseball Poll
Team Points High/Low

1. Texas

1/2

2. Vanderbilt

1/3

3. Mississippi State

3/9

4. Stanford

3/7

5. LSU

3/10

6. Arkansas

2/20

7. Notre Dame

4/13

8. Ole Miss

5/19

9. Florida

6/23

10. Oklahoma State

7/19

11. East Carolina

8/15

t-12. N.C. State

7/NR

t-12. Florida State

11/15

t-12. Texas Tech

4/23

15. Arizona

10/22

16. TCU

8/NR

17. UC-Irvine

14/20

18. Georgia Tech

11/24

19. Tennessee

16/NR

t-20. Oregon State

11/NR

t-20. Virginia

5/NR

22. Georgia

14/NR

23. UCLA

17/NR

24. Miami (Fla.)

18/NR

25. Oregon

19/NR

Receiving votes: Dallas Baptist (11), Louisiana Tech (11), Nebraska (11), Central Michigan (10), UC-Santa Barbara (9), Duke (4), Long Beach State (4), Old Dominion (2), Liberty (1), North Carolina (1)
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spoiler

2022 ESPN Big 12 Baseball TV Schedule

Date Time (CT) Teams Network
Fri, Feb 18 6:30 p.m. Rice at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Feb 19 2:30 p.m. Rice at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Feb 20 1 p.m. Rice at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Feb 25 7 p.m. Alabama at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Feb 26 1:30 p.m. Alabama at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Feb 27 2:30 p.m. Alabama at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Mar 9 6:30 p.m. Texas State at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 12 3 p.m. No. 1 Texas at South Carolina SECN
Fri, Mar 18 6:30 p.m. Incarnate Word at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 19 2:30 p.m. Incarnate Word at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 20 1 p.m. Incarnate Word at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 22 6:30 p.m. Central Arkansas at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 29 6:30 p.m. Texas A&M at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 2 12 p.m. No. 1 Texas at Oklahoma ESPN2
Sun, Apr 3 12 p.m. No. 1 Texas at Oklahoma ESPNU
Tue, Apr 5 6:30 p.m. UT Rio Grande Valley at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Apr 6 7 p.m. Kansas at Missouri SEC Network
Fri, Apr 8 6:30 p.m. No. 17 TCU at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 9 5 p.m. No. 17 TCU at No. 1 Texas ESPNU
  8 p.m. Oklahoma at No. 7 Oklahoma State ESPNU
Sun, Apr 10 12 p.m. No. 17 TCU at No. 1 Texas ESPNU
Tue, Apr 12 6:30 p.m. Stephen F. Austin at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Apr 19 6:30 p.m. Air Force at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Apr 20 4 p.m. Air Force at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 22 6:30 p.m. Baylor at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 23 1 p.m. Baylor at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Apr 24 1 p.m. Baylor at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 29 6:30 p.m. No. 7 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 30 2:30 p.m. No. 7 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
  5 p.m. No. 17 TCU at No. 11 Florida State ACC Network/ACCNX
Sun, May 1 1 p.m. No. 7 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 3 6:30 p.m. Houston Baptist at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 10 6:30 p.m. Texas Southern at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 17 5 p.m. Kansas State at Virginia Tech ACC Network
  6:30 p.m. Sam Houston at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Thu, May 19 6:30 p.m. Kansas at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, May 20 6:30 p.m. Kansas at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, May 21 2:30 p.m. Kansas at No. 1 Texas Longhorn Network
May 25-28   Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship
(various games)
ESPNU
Sun, May 29 4 p.m. Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship ESPNU

That's not Big 12 coverage, that's Texas Longhorn coverage with a couple of appearances by B12 teams on the ACC and SEC networks. And a bone to Bedlam.

• Hook 'Em 5

Why the hell does D2 get to start two weeks before D1?  

My daughter's school in Colorado has already played 6 games, and it's 77 degrees and sunny today, but St. Ed's is the only local program playing baseball today?  Fuck that!

Edited by Beau Vine

https://twitter.com/texascollegebsb

- Texas College Baseball twitter is a neat little site that has info on all college teams in Texas.   Good publicity for the smaller schools.

- Lance Berkman makes his college head coaching debut this weekend as Houston Baptist hosts Rutgers.  Host Rice, 23 Feb, visit  Texas, 3 May.   14-38 last year.  Tough schedule,  play most of the P5 schools in Texas.   D1, Southland Conf,  aggy Corpus, McNeese, Incarnate Word and that bunch.

https://hbuhuskies.com/sports/baseball/schedule

Happy opening day!  Besides Rice vs Texas tonight at 6:30 on LHN, other highlights are:

#24 Long Beach St @ #4 Miss St at 2 on SECN+

Cal vs Houston at 2 from Scottsdale on MLBN

#7 Okie St @ #3 Vandy at 4:30 on SECN+

TCU vs San Diego St at 6 from Scottsdale on MLBN

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Happy opening day!  Besides Rice vs Texas tonight at 6:30 on LHN, other highlights are:

#24 Long Beach St @ #4 Miss St at 2 on SECN+

Cal vs Houston at 2 from Scottsdale on MLBN

#7 Okie St @ #3 Vandy at 4:30 on SECN+

TCU vs San Diego St at 6 from Scottsdale on MLBN

Good Luck Horn's ... See ya in OMAHA in 4 months... 

• Hook 'Em 2