2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Tennessee beat Iona 27-1 yesterday and 29-0 today.

To go along with that O, they have a frosh phenom out of the pen that is supposedly throwing 100+ mph.  Twitterverse been all over the kid so far.

Edited by jdhorn92

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

To go along with that O, they have a frosh phenom out of the pen that is supposedly throwing 100+ mph.  Twitterverse been all over the kid so far.

That’s cute. They won’t touch Hansen and Melendez, Messinger and Todd are gonna take advantage of the porch. Bring it on

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Our mighty Bobcats are 6-1 after crushing Wichita 9-2 Thursday and beating tOSU 9-1 and 8-5 so far this weekend.

You think the Bobcats are tourney good this year? I haven’t kept up with them at all. Fucking love the mid week games we play 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

^ 105-5 in 6 games overall this season. 

The other side is that Iona has been outscored 103-4 in 5 games.  They kept it respectable at 4-2 on opening day then lost to the fighting Verlanders of Old Dominion 24-0 and 19-1.

• Like 2

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is taking care of business at its hosted tournament down at the Kleberg Classic. The Islanders won their first game of the tourney Friday night against Wichita State before making an even bigger statement Saturday night in a 2-1 win over a solid Iowa club. A&M-Corpus veteran pitcher Leo Perez was good against the Hawkeyes, striking out five, walking one and allowing just a run in six innings. Meanwhile, Connor Schultz put together a solid start for UI, striking out seven and allowing a run on two hits in five innings.

- per D1Baseball 

I have two GA tickets for the Texas @ Texas State game in San Marcos on the 8th of March.  I also have one ticket Section C row two.  

Open to offers on price with priority for people who can pay in bitcoin, or people I like.  ;).   

Will dole out individually or as a group...

My buddy just got a broom stuck up his ass in Gainesville by the Gators. They left a small fucking village on base and they were right with them until Gata got to the underbelly of his bullpen. Combined with Florida losing their opening series to a non P5 team I’m going to assume they aren’t that good this year until I see otherwise. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

aggy had a 5-3 lead going into the 9th and their pen failed.     Schlossnagle had told the aggy faithful that Penn would be a test because they have an older,  experienced team.    This was their opening series of the year,  they were eager since playing less than 15 games in '20 and '21. 

Despite lack of overall success,  Penn has an established program.   Kids on the East Coast can play.   Penn has 4 Texans (2 from Austin area, 1 Dallas, 1 Houston) who play regularly.

https://pennathletics.com/sports/baseball/roster

Round Rock Classic scores:    Stanford is 6-1 against a formidable schedule.  Pierce disciples need to persuade him to put them back on schedule.

(small print from RR site,  only avail)

Capture.PNG   b0000.PNG

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Stanford is still in Texas, playing at UTSA today and tied 2-2 in the 4th.  Lame that CUSA has a paywall for streaming the game.

UTSA wins 6-5 in 10.   Stanford committed 4 errors, 2 in 10th.

Stanford 6-2,  UTSA 7-1 (Tarleton St, Seattle).

https://goutsa.com/sidearmstats/baseball/media;category=batting

Cool story about Penn's series win and an Austin connection:

https://d1baseball.com/features/penn-leads-ivy-leagues-eye-opening-return-to-action/

Spoiler
Seth-Werchan-1000x500.jpeg

Penn's Seth Werchan (Penn Athletics)

•  
  •  
  •  

Penn Leads Ivy League’s Eye-Opening Return To Action

FEATURES Walter Villa - March 2, 2022

On Sunday, two days after playing a role in Penn’s first victory over an SEC opponent in 99 years, Quakers left fielder Seth Werchan started sprinting full speed for a fly ball, knowing that neither he nor the wall in foul territory would back down.

A bloody mouth was Werchan’s destiny.

But so was victory.

Penn has been playing baseball since 1875. This past weekend marked the first time a Quakers team had ever taken a series from an SEC squad, and Werchan’s relentless spirit is emblematic of the entire Penn squad.

“My whole team knows me – I’m the psycho,” Werchan said with a laugh. “I’m going to go for any ball, make the crazy catch.”

As it turned out, Werchan’s fourth-inning sprint toward that wall didn’t even show up in the box score. He didn’t catch that fly ball that was slicing hard and fast off the bat of Texas A&M lefty-swinging Brett Minnich. Werchan’s cap and sunglasses flew over the wall and into the Aggies’ bullpen once the collision happened.

But Werchan’s pursuit of the ball let the several thousand A&M fans crammed inside Olsen Field in College Station on Sunday know two things:

One, the Penn Quakers would not be satisfied with just that 2-1 win on Friday.

Two, Werchan – a Texan who started at free safety for the Bowie Jackrabbits and also dated a cheerleader during his high school glory days – wasn’t coming out of Sunday’s game just because he needed five stitches to stop the blood from pouring out of his mouth.

Werchan said he was more aggressive than usual on this play.

“There are no padded walls (at Penn), so when I saw those padded walls (at College Station), I said, ‘I’m going to go for it,’” Werchan remarked.

“I blacked (out) for a second when I hit the wall. The next thing I know, I’m on my back. I wasn’t afraid of the wall, but it hurt. It was padded, but there was concrete behind it.”

Werchan’s next thought was that his teeth had been knocked out of his mouth. Last year, during an intrasquad game, he took an 89 mph fastball in the face from teammate Cole Zaffiro.

On that occasion, Werchan escaped with nothing more than a busted lip. This time, Werchan thought he had done even more damage.

“But I asked one of the Aggie guys, ‘Yo, are my teeth in?’” Werchan said. “He said, ‘Yeah’.

“Then I figured out that I bit through my lip. Our trainer (Mike Burkeitt) came out and said, ‘Dude, you have a whole in your face. I can see your teeth through your skin.’

“I’m kind of smiling, and I say, ‘Get me cleaned up. Get me back in there.’”

Penn coach John Yurkow joked that he thought for a moment that he was at a fight show.

“(Burkiett) looked like a cut guy in MMA,” Yurkow said. “He was putting Vaseline on (Werchan), trying to get the blood to stop.

“Seth is from Texas. He had a lot of family members there. I couldn’t get him out of the game.”

Werchan’s teammates were busy giving him high-fives and telling him, “Dude, you’re a maniac.”

But before going back in the game, Werchan was asked by Burkiett if he were OK.

“Yeah, I’m good,” Werchan responded. “We’re playing the Aggies.”

seth-werchan-scaled.jpg Seth Werchan’s selfie looks a little different after his run-in with a wall at Texas A&M (Photo courtesy of Seth Werchan)

Translation: Werchan — a native of Austin and a lifelong Longhorns fan with season tickets to Texas football and basketball games — wasn’t going to miss this opportunity to beat the Aggies. Even though Texas A&M isn’t Penn’s rivalry game, it was personal for Werchan.

“I said, ‘It’s time to turn it up a notch’,” Werchan said. “It’s go time.”

Indeed, the Quakers never led in that game’s first eight innings, trailing 5-1 through six.

But before we run through how the series ended, here’s how it began:

In Friday’s series opener played in 35-degree temperatures that seemed advantageous to the Quakers, Penn reliever Owen Coady got the win, pitching the longest outing of his career, striking out eight batters in 4.2 innings.

“They did not like the cold,” Werchan said of the Aggies. “Southern guys, I know what it’s like. We hate playing in the cold. It was 35 but 20-something with the wind chill. We walked out there with short-sleeve shirts, and the Aggies were wearing long sleeves with heaters in the dugout.”

After a Saturday rain-out, Aggies righthander Micah Dallas dominated in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader. He beat Penn 5-0, allowing a leadoff, first-pitch single and then no hits after that, finishing with 10 strikeouts and one walk (to Werchan) in eight innings. Aggies closer Joseph Menefee worked a perfect ninth to close out the win as the last 20 Penn batters went down in order.

By the time the seventh rolled around in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader, the Quakers had scored just two runs in 24 innings.

In the next three innings, however, the Quakers put up seven runs, winning the game, 8-5.

Third baseman Wyatt Henseler, who was named the Ivy League’s Player of the Week after going 6-for-10 with four extra-base hits, two walks and four RBIs this past weekend, started the comeback with a leadoff double in the seventh. He scored on Ben Miller’s single, and suddenly it was 5-2.

In the eighth, Werchan stroked a leadoff single and scored when Henseler drew a four-pitch, bases-loaded walk. That made it 5-3.

The Aggies’ Menefee, who had closed out the first game of the doubleheader, was pressed into service. He was one of eight pitchers used in that second game, closing out the eighth and starting the ninth in an effort to nail down the save.

“I’m so proud of Menefee and how he competed,” Aggies coach Jim Schlossnagle said. “I can’t remember the last time I used a pitcher twice in one day in February.

“That’s a conference-tournament-type move, but it was our best option at the time. (Menefee) felt great.”

So did the Quakers.

Andrew Hernandez led off the ninth inning with a single. Werchan, Penn’s nine-hole hitter, singled and – with his right leg in pain from that collision with the wall – he finally gave way to pinch-runner Cole McGonigal. Leadoff batter Tommy Courtney then singled to load the bases, and Yurkow started to sense something special was happening.

Yurkow loved that Werchan and Courtney – both lefty hitters – had singled off the Aggies’ lefty closer.

“OK, we’ve got a shot here,” Yurkow said.

Yurkow knew the significance of what was unfolding.

“In between games of the doubleheader, we had 40 minutes,” Yurkow said. “I told our team, ‘Don’t be happy with just participating and winning one game. You have a chance to do something (special)’.”

After loading the bases, that something special started to happen as Jackson Appel singled to make it 5-4.

That knocked Menefee out of the game. Reliever Alex Magers was immediately greeted by Craig Larsen’s three-run, opposite-field double down the line in right on a 1-0 pitch, giving Penn a 7-5 lead.

“In the ninth is when the Aggies started bringing in all their pitchers, and they just didn’t have anything,” Werchan said. “We just started smoking the ball. We started finding barrels. Energy was through the roof. They didn’t have an answer, and it was one of the coolest comebacks I’ve ever been a part of.”

Henseler then completed his 4-for-4 game with an RBI double, and Brendan Bean earned the win by pitching his second straight scoreless inning.

“It was like Christmas,” Werchan said when asked what it felt like for him and his family to beat the Aggies. “My dad (Texas graduate Alan Werchan) couldn’t believe it. He’s been watching the rivalry between the Aggies and Longhorns his entire life. For my dad, watching his son help beat the Aggies was better than anything, and it was personal for me, too.”

Penn is now 2-1, coming off the program’s first season-opening series win since 2009.

It was an impressive performance on many fronts.

For starters, the Quakers are a Northern team that is forced by cold weather to have most if not all of its preseason workouts indoors due to the cold weather, which is not the case for Texas A&M.

In addition, the Aggies were at home and are the superior team, at least historically. The Aggies made the NCAA Tournament 13 straight years from 2007 to 2019, reaching the College World Series as recently as 2017.

The Quakers have only made the NCAA Tournament five times – and not since 1995. They have never advanced past the regional round.

In addition, the series win over the Aggies was impressive because the Quakers are part of the Ivy League — the only Division I conference in the nation to skip the 2021 season, due to COVID concerns.

Penn, though, was the only Ivy team to play at least some games last year, going 6-8, playing three games against Villanova, two against Delaware and nine versus La Salle, which has since dropped baseball.

“I definitely think it helped us,” Yurkow said of the brief 2021 schedule. “We had some semblance of a spring last year. It was limited, but we were at least together for two or three months.

“Last spring felt like a fall season. But at least our freshmen got to experience Division I baseball. None of the other Ivies were able to do that.

“Then, we had 25 of our guys who played summer ball. So, coming into the fall, I didn’t feel like we were as far behind.”

Due to all of that, Yurkow – who has been Penn’s coach since July of 2013 — said he wasn’t shocked his team prevailed over the Aggies.

“A couple of years ago, it got to the point where we were recruiting better,” he said. “I felt like our talent level was starting to come up. I felt we could play (better) teams. Next year, we open at South Carolina.”

Yurkow said the Aggies crowds were a challenge.

“College Station is not an easy place to play,” he said. “There are 70,000 kids who go to school there, and that student section was well represented over the course of the weekend.”

There were 3,500 fans at Olsen Field on Sunday – nearly all of them rooting against Penn – and it was like that for just about every Ivy League team this past weekend.