2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A&M cancels their last midweek game of the season because they didn't want it to hurt their RPI

So does Incarnate Word have to agree to this or shouldn't this be a loss for aTm?  I know the schedule was probably set by the previous head coach but doesn't the intended strength of schedule count?  Stop scheduling low 'rpi' teams.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It also makes more sense now why they 'cancelled' their Tuesday game against Sam Houston State a few weeks ago due to "inclement weather" after it barely rained.

He did this exact thing at TCU at least once, so I guess this isn’t too surprising. 

As much as I hate TAM, I don't really blame him.  As long as the selection committee uses a system that rewards them fo not playing a game, they are justified to do it.  Hopefully they paid them off.

It sucks because schools try and throw a bone to the smaller schools in their state.  And why not?  You get to play younger kids and its a big deal for the little schools.

But you get so punished by playing teams ranked super low in the RPI.

In my mind, if you play the #1 team in the country and the #350 and go 2-0, that's way more impressive than going 2-0 vs. the #100 team.  But that's not how RPI works.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

As much as I hate TAM, I don't really blame him.  As long as the selection committee uses a system that rewards them fo not playing a game, they are justified to do it.  Hopefully they paid them off.

It sucks because schools try and throw a bone to the smaller schools in their state.  And why not?  You get to play younger kids and its a big deal for the little schools.

But you get so punished by playing teams ranked super low in the RPI.

In my mind, if you play the #1 team in the country and the #350 and go 2-0, that's way more impressive than going 2-0 vs. the #100 team.  But that's not how RPI works.

In NCAA hockey, they have a rule where you can have certain games excluded from the RPI calculations if even winning the game will hurt your RPI.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Top 16.  But the committee will tell you every year that they don't rely on RPI that much.

Interesting. Looking at the top 16 RPI teams right now there is a team with a losing record in conference play (Florida) and a .500 in SEC play Vandy team. DBU is also top 16 in RPI due to their SOS but won’t likely host. The last few hosting spots are going to be really interesting.

Bobcats take the first two from the Ragin Cajuns to reach 40 wins, 7-5 last night, 6-4 today thanks to 3 in the B8.  

Ole Miss beat LSU twice today.

F$U-Miami split too.

UGa beat TN 9-3 and OSU trails AZ 5-2 in 9th.  

Piggy has won the first two over Vandy.

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The NCAA should issue a statement that for purposes of the postseason the RPI will be calculated as if the games had been played

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the NCAA does anything?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The NCAA should issue a statement that for purposes of the postseason the RPI will be calculated as if the games had been played

and you cancel a game late just to cancel, it's an auto loss.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:47 PM, Storm the Field said:

TXST completes the hard-fought sweep of Louisiana, now at 41-11 (tied for school record) and 24-4 in SunBelt.

Really hoping to be able to catch the Cats in a regional game. Fingers crossed for #2 seed in College Station.

They are good. Real good. I think they are under appreciated due to their conference. Would love to see them kick aggy ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:04 PM, Beau Vine said:

OU lost to Wichita 18-0: https://goshockers.com/sports/baseball/stats/2022/oklahoma/boxscore/15884

Also, Miss State is 25-27 (9-18 in conference), has lost 9 in a row, and 106th in RPI.  Committee gonna have to scramble to get them in the field.

I am sure they will find a way....SEC and all.