WTF. Policeman kills his fellow policeman brother and another victim during a traffic stop.

crash_davis

Was the one brother banging the brother's wife? tragic.

https://www.kwqc.com/2022/01/04/nc-trooper-dies-after-being-hit-by-troopers-brother-during-traffic-stop/

RUTHERFORD COUNTY, N.C. (WHNS/Gray News) – A North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper was hit and killed by his brother during a traffic stop Monday night, according to Highway Patrol.

WHNS reports Trooper John Horton was conducting a traffic stop just before 9 p.m. when his brother, Trooper James Horton was responding to assist.

Officials say James Horton lost control of his car and collided with his brother’s car.

Both John Horton and a detained driver were hit while standing on the side of the road.

NCHP said John Horton, a 15-year veteran assigned to Rutherford County, was taken to the hospital where he died of his injuries.

The detained driver, who was not identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.

James Horton was taken to a local hospital for minor injuries and has since been released.

“Our hearts are broken with the loss of our friend and our brother, Trooper John Horton,” said Col. Freddy L. Johnson Jr., commander of the State Highway Patrol. “For all involved in this tragic event the coming days will undoubtedly be difficult, but we are committed to stand alongside with them with our thoughts, prayers and unwavering support.”

This is an ongoing investigation by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and North Carolina State Highway Patrol Collision Reconstruction Unit.

If only there was a way a video camera could be mounted on the dash of police cruisers somehow.  

Then They could have a constant video stream that would document this sort of tragic accident, and other police citizen encounters.  

Oh well….. we can put a man on the moon but …..

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If only there was a way a video camera could be mounted on the dash of police cruisers somehow.  

Then They could have a constant video stream that would document this sort of tragic accident, and other police citizen encounters.  

Oh well….. we can put a man on the moon but …..

I can buy a GoPro for $200 that could record me sinking to the bottom of the ocean in crystal clear HD, but, alas, dash and body cam technology just isn't there yet.

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Weirdest thing, I'd bet it cut out right before the incident. Police equipment always seems to be doing that

Raid the fund for education to pay for more equipment for these poor fellows.  We're sending them out there with rag tag equipment that fails when they need it the most!  In the most dangerous line of work!  

I am assuming, and I hate to do it for innocent deaths but there's not much else to go on as Pato mentions, that he pulls over driver...takes him to back of car which is protocol for both safety and filming purposes, and both get pinned between next cop car and other car?  

1 hour ago, deft said:

Raid the fund for education to pay for more equipment for these poor fellows.  We're sending them out there with rag tag equipment that fails when they need it the most!  In the most dangerous line of work!  

This. These heroes are just trying to make it home safe. Won't someone think of the heroes?

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’ll bet he felt like a heel.

Best part of the story was that his dry cleaner was right next door, they saw it all. The next time he went to pick up his clothes, they said "Hey, didn't you crash into Payless the other day?". He took his clothes and never went back, he was too embarrassed. 

If there was nothing amidst here, two men died for no reason here.  And if there was something afoul, then the driver still died for no reason.  

This officer has an awkward few years in front of him, starting with Internal Affairs...

"You realize your actions caused the needless death of two people, one of whom was a fellow Officer in Blue?" 

"Look man, you don't know what it's like on the front lines!  I had to make it home to my family!"  

"Dude, you ran over a member of your family on your way home."

"Look, I'm not gonna get dragged into a semantical exercise in circular logic with you okay, I want my union rep!" 

On 1/12/2022 at 8:58 PM, aggie08 said:

I can buy a GoPro for $200 that could record me sinking to the bottom of the ocean in crystal clear HD, but, alas, dash and body cam technology just isn't there yet.

There's plenty of recent police involved shootings with the police in the right - and also in the wrong - recorded by their dash/body cam in HD and released to public. 

What's your point here?

Never pull over on the shoulder of the highway if you can avoid it. Take the next exit and park in a businesses parking lot if possible. I have no idea why cops are so comfortable conducting traffic stops on the shoulders of busy highways but this is always a possibility whenever the do. 

Because failing to instantly comply regardless of the situation is an unspeakable rebellion against their authority, punishable however the good officer sees fit, up to and including a major, intentional vehicle collision or shooting.

30 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Never pull over on the shoulder of the highway if you can avoid it. Take the next exit and park in a businesses parking lot if possible. I have no idea why cops are so comfortable conducting traffic stops on the shoulders of busy highways but this is always a possibility whenever the do. 

Maybe not if your in Arkansas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

There's plenty of recent police involved shootings with the police in the right - and also in the wrong - recorded by their dash/body cam in HD and released to public. 

What's your point here?

You serious, Clark? "His police camera malfunctioned" or "wasn't turned on" or "wasn't recording" isn't a part of a story like this--or anytime anybody's dog gets shot--an alarming number of times for a technology that we've had dialed in for over a decade? Because they probably work most of the time, it's all on the up and up?

Don't get me wrong: it's definitely an improvement to when we had to take police reports as gospel. 

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You serious, Clark? "His police camera malfunctioned" or "wasn't turned on" or "wasn't recording" isn't a part of a story like this--or anytime anybody's dog gets shot--an alarming number of times for a technology that we've had dialed in for over a decade? Because they probably work most of the time, it's all on the up and up?

Don't get me wrong: it's definitely an improvement to when we had to take police reports as gospel. 

"Dialed in for over a decade"?  "You serious, Clark?"  GoPro's HD camera is a decade.  Axon's police camera is 5 years ago - coincidental with the uptake of cams in the police force.  Departments have to buy it.  Guys have to manually turn it on.  And by and large they do and they've shown some pretty horrific shootings by the police, too.  You're gonna pick some anecdotes to make a blanket indictment of all of them at large? 

I suppose , just give me a number of how many times this malfunction was a part of a "story like this" or dogs getting shot.  More than countable in 1 hand?

You insinuate this practice is SOP like its a broad-based conspiracy.  The exemptions don't prove the rule. 

I'd love to see the IT department's bodycam trouble-shooting flowchart for officers.

"Are you pulling over/pursuing Edgar Winter?"

Yes?  Turn camera on and record as normal.

No?  Begin totally unnecessary software update rendering camera useless for 30 minutes.  

csb---friend of mine here in Central Texas is a former Army helicopter pilot.  Iraq, Afghanistan, black ops, flew all the special operators in every corner of the globe.  Now makes a living testing ultra-secret test aircraft for DoD contractors.  Because of his badassness... For shits 'n grins, he occasionally accepts invites to  moonlight as a training pilot for police helicopter pilots.  First the helicopter police have to do their usual police protocol before taking off (take the simulated "call" from another officer, stow their firearms, radio to HQ, etc.  Then my buddy takes over the helicopter portion, then they land and simulate the exit to the crime scene, etc.).  and in all that pre-flight shit---the helicopter obviously has a camera running and a blackbox recorder.  But the helicopter police still wear a bodycam in some jurisdictions and he says that half the time, these guys can't figure out during pre-flight to turn the cameras on.  He just has to sit there while these guys fumble with these simple little devices and he's sitting there in shock, "You're about to pilot a $2mm helicopter and you can't turn on a fucking camera?"  /csb

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

"Dialed in for over a decade"?  "You serious, Clark?"  GoPro's HD camera is a decade.  Axon's police camera is 5 years ago - coincidental with the uptake of cams in the police force.  Departments have to buy it.  Guys have to manually turn it on.  And by and large they do and they've shown some pretty horrific shootings by the police, too.  You're gonna pick some anecdotes to make a blanket indictment of all of them at large? 

I suppose , just give me a number of how many times this malfunction was a part of a "story like this" or dogs getting shot.  More than countable in 1 hand?

You insinuate this practice is SOP like its a broad-based conspiracy.  The exemptions don't prove the rule. 

"The police have a long and storied history of protecting their own" isn't a conspiracy. It's pretty well-established fact. 

I said that most of the time the cameras work, whether the incident is good, bad, or indifferent, and that's a huge step that they should take pride in. But they're also off or malfunctioning a lot more than "a handful" of times, which obviously invites suspicion.

From the perspective of an outside observer, there doesn't seem to be much of a punishment for "forgetting" to manually turn them on. Maybe I'm wrong; I hope I am. I don't think it's as nefarious as officers purposely saying, "I'd better turn this off for the fucked up shit I'm about to do."; more likely, some of them resent having to wear them in the first place, and corners get cut.

35 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It’s akin to the “southeast Tuscaloosa state better prepare their ass” when a story about bama recruiting violations surfaces.  Was a funny joke like 2-3 times, several hundred million times ago. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"The police have a long and storied history of protecting their own" isn't a conspiracy. It's pretty well-established fact. 

I said that most of the time the cameras work, whether the incident is good, bad, or indifferent, and that's a huge step that they should take pride in. But they're also off or malfunctioning a lot more than "a handful" of times, which obviously invites suspicion.

From the perspective of an outside observer, there doesn't seem to be much of a punishment for "forgetting" to manually turn them on. Maybe I'm wrong; I hope I am. I don't think it's as nefarious as officers purposely saying, "I'd better turn this off for the fucked up shit I'm about to do."; more likely, some of them resent having to wear them in the first place, and corners get cut.

>"The police have a long and storied history of protecting their own" 

isn't at all a contention, or even a surprise, least of all for the obvious human tendency to protect like members

the contention is over the kneejerk claim that police cams are always "conveniently" off.  which seems superficially false and nobody substantially demonstrates otherwise.

and yes it would be ideal if cameras were perpetually rolling.  that they arent is unintentioned and partly technical - compact recording sensors and their processors overheat; batteries drain; the flash drives have limited cycles.  making it triggered by sirens or linking to dispatches are all good ideas.