Kauai

hookem2010

18 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Bumping this thread for some advice. Marriott guy so I have points. We are staying Sep 14th - 21st.

Looking at the Westin Princeville, Marriott Kauai and Autograph Collection Koloa Landing. Also the Sheraton as it is a lot cheaper. Anybody stay at any of these?

@hookem2010 was the Sheraton nice? Wife is worried compared to other properties.

Listen to all the people above...north side is a no brainer. There is no place on earth that is better. 

• Like 1

I lucked out staying near Poipu, as Hanalei got epically fucked while we were there. I believe there was a photo of a bison waist-deep in the ocean off of Hanalei Beach that may have been taken the day we arrived. That being said, I can't really speak for the north side of the island. Hawaii is an expensive place and the Sheraton was great for our needs and expectations. I'm not a fancy hotel guy so I cant really compare it to other places. The south side is definitely just beach and ocean, whereas the north side, from my limited view, had amazing mountains and waterfalls as a backdrop. If I were just picking a starting point without any financial/absurd weather implications, I think the North Shore would be the place to go. You would have the beach, snorkeling and hiking right there. On the south side, you would be a closer drive to Waimea canyon, but that's the only big plus I can see. Still definitely doable as a day trip. As much as I enjoyed our trip, if it's pretty equal with your points, I would lean towards staying on the north side. I did really enjoy the beachside luau, but again don't have anything to compare it to, and you could catch it on the way back from Waimea Canyon. Maybe make your spouse drive back, I got real fucked up for that one. But really, as far as the Sheraton is compared to surrounding resorts, I have no clue. Seemed nice enough but not too fancy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We’ve been many times and everywhere is great. We stayed at the Marriott south of the airport and that was nice because we could drive both directions and still had the river right nearby. Princeville and Poipu is nice too. Really nothing is bad.

• 8 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Sundown happy hour at Duke's by the south Marriott is just about as good as it gets in Hawaii.  Perfect last stop before you get on the jet back to the mainland at LIH.

I’ll take sundown on the North Shore (but wouldn’t turn down the South shore)

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

Flights to Kauai are starting at $370 so just booked a flight. Have never been to hawaii period but decided it was time. What is the weather like there early september and does that have a factor on where we should stay?

I will repeat what I always say — North Shore.  If you stay south you’ll be happy. Once you drive to the North Shore you will wish you had stayed there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We went last September. Make sure your bedroom has AC. It was hot. Edit to add, we stayed north from the advice here and loved it.

Here is a small sampling to wet your appetite:

9nmICAJ.jpg

e9Q54aT.jpg

fTNpbMZ.jpg

1WszldT.jpg

k5Lwt4u.jpg

meeORHD.jpg

0J2SN9j.jpg

GSisPx9.jpg

LB8Ndrb.jpg

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Great pictures! I haven't been there in 10 years and was thinking about taking a trip back soon either here or trying another island. Where did you stay on the north side? 

We used AirBNB and stayed in one of the large developments in Princeville.

We went last year and I have a ton of Marriott points so we stayed at the Marriott in Lihue. Great pool but the rooms needed an update. It was also very convenient to get around the rest of the island. Rent a car, we cheesed it up and got a convertible Mustang. It was a fun car to cruise in for the week.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most beautiful place I've ever been.  I went when I was 12 and then again for my honeymoon.  Stayed at Whaler's Cove Condominiums in Poipu.  Fantasy stuff.

I have this hanging above my head in my living room as I watch the idiot box every night.  Bought it at some art gallery in between Kapaa and Poipu --

IMG_1772.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Staying in Hanalei is great, because a lot of the day traffic dies down a bit from people visiting from the south - it gets a little quieter for sure. That said, while we always stayed up north, we would take at least one trip to the sunnier Poipu area too. 

Have not been since they instituted all the restrictions driving to Ke'e. Can understand why, as it was getting to be a zoo, but as I understand you have to be on top of your reservations and hit your reservation window (often earlier in the morning that I would like on a vacation). 

Lots of decent to good food in Hanalei - I'm partial to Hanalei Gourmet (get whatever the fish special is), kalua pork nachos at Kalypso while sitting and looking at the rain on the mountain above, Tiki-Man pizza, and the Dolphin. Smith Family Garden Luau for the win - go as early as they let you and wander the gardens as long as you can before dinner, with a bag of birdseed for the peacocks. 

• 4 months later...

Doing the extended Kalalau (22 mi +Day hikes into the valley) mid Jan if it doesn’t get rained out. Probably won’t risk the Honopu Beach swim due to the winter water, but would love to give it a try (or kayak there) someday.

Any good post hike/backup hike recs for a no kids trip? Remaining time will be split between Hanalei and the south shore.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bonnieblue said:

Doing the extended Kalalau (22 mi +Day hikes into the valley) mid Jan if it doesn’t get rained out. Probably won’t risk the Honopu Beach swim due to the winter water, but would love to give it a try (or kayak there) someday.

Any good post hike/backup hike recs for a no kids trip? Remaining time will be split between Hanalei and the south shore.

Awesome.  This is high up on my backpacking list.  Report back please.

11 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

We did the day hike, as my wife is not a huge backpacker. I’m super jealous of you. I’m sure you’ve seen the pics before, but that ledge looks fun. We caught some folks mid transit in the pic below.

Also, very good call on skipping the swim to Honopu. The morning after we did the short hike, we did a boat tour that had to be cut short, because we had to pull a guy out of the surf attempting that swim. Needless to say, he did not make it. Not exactly the boat trip we signed up for.

28B6D2C9-9892-4B04-9C01-D242828C79F9.jpeg

12 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

I did that hike about 15 years ago and it was just absolutely amazing. If you’re scared of heights the 7 mile mark is where a lot of people turn around. I remember seeing that trail for the first time and thought there is no way in hell I could walk on that. If you take it slow it’s not bad. It’s totally worth it but it’s a bit sketchy

Have a great time and take some good pictures. Also, my time on the trail was in 2006 so it might have changed since then.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:40 AM, bonnieblue said:

i fucking love, LOVE that hike.  It is great.  Make it happen.  Camp on Polihale at the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

That was amazing and also equally miserable. 10/10 would recommend. Will post some pics after consuming large amounts of alcohol

congrats on making it.  i meant to check the weather on sunday to see how it would be for you.  Did you camp on polihale afterwards?  make it to hanakapiai falls on the way?

Part 2: Mile 2-8 ish (hanakapiai- Crawlers ledge )FCD7671F-43DD-4C74-93E4-F1ED6D65B2CB.thumb.jpeg.85b025885b5c1e54cbd106fb3fb7d3f2.jpeg

Hills and Valleys along the coast. Miles 2-6 were extremely extremely muddy. Very shady and jungly for most of this but. Climbing up and down boulders the whole way (didn’t get great pics of this).

BCAE9813-A334-46DC-B261-6C6EE172412B.thumb.jpeg.fe7ea1160e328c0987a1810aa50fe3a0.jpeg84D7B263-CBB3-4725-B0AE-CCF39C854124.thumb.jpeg.10f3b59269faae3e2e96825b00dd7bcd.jpeg

after a stop at the initial camping area at Hanakoa Valley (we didn’t stop here), it starts to dry out and get very sketchy and rocky. Lots of sheet rock faces and climbing up and down boulders with packs on. The actual crawlers ledge wasn’t too bad, but the dirt areas before and after were very sketchy.

8E51F691-0E47-48A5-863F-3A5326D9D813.thumb.jpeg.e6538edcee013b1253d6ffe211d565e9.jpegF6E779BB-27F1-40BB-A00D-6A698A45C5C0.thumb.jpeg.0f4de921ad4fa00d59347e1fdca2d48d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We have 10 nights booked in Kauai in early June.

First 2 nights are just my wife and myself. Nothing booked yet, still gotta figure that out.

Next 8 nights are with friends. Spending the first half in an Airbnb up at Hanalei Bay. Last half will be at Ko’a Kea Resort in Poipu.

We are fairly interested in the Kalalau Trail hike. Would like more details from those who have done it. What all did you pack for the overnight? What is the camping area like? How long should we plan for each direction?

On 1/23/2022 at 10:59 PM, wild_turkey said:

First 2 nights are just my wife and myself. Nothing booked yet, still gotta figure that out.

Next 8 nights are with friends. Spending the first half in an Airbnb up at Hanalei Bay. Last half will be at Ko’a Kea Resort in Poipu.

We are fairly interested in the Kalalau Trail hike. Would like more details from those who have done it. What all did you pack for the overnight? What is the camping area like? How long should we plan for each direction?

@bonnieblue

Part 3: Crawler’s to the Beach:

495AD845-9D94-43DB-9BD4-8BFB7B5F6705.thumb.jpeg.d46138fbb43b9c3527ff0328f41df41e.jpeg

after some very scary slippery red hills (seriously scary if wet), you finally make it to the end of mile 10 and this sign near the fork to either the Kalalau valley or beach.

6269F79C-41BC-45FD-BAD2-093D75E5745F.thumb.jpeg.17bcf8e9821b68c13ad19ea8e2bc2b69.jpeg

over the next mile you go across one of the more substantial creeks (will need chacos/tevas to cross) you start making your way next to the beach and possible camp sites. I would recommend going all the way down and snagging one of the sites down by the waterfall (your camp water source), as they have the best views, are close to water and most of them already have built up fire pits or lounge chairs. You have a variety of choices (under trees, under stars)

C992DAF5-554B-4A5D-965E-093293D0379A.thumb.jpeg.7ae1354be1279e431d152c310945b144.jpeg

end of the beach, during low tide you can go further out to some caves

B6F76310-653B-4BAB-88B5-325BF71D005B.thumb.jpeg.7b4390b919eeae9f2ca4ed0063cba6e8.jpeg

camp site

97B9DA24-BC8E-449C-BACB-10E30C4E5908.thumb.jpeg.a652c7ffa0331af0b2c7f59543f13b13.jpeg

Camp waterfall and ridgetops 

E7B8101E-FDAB-4F2D-8D9C-47500091411B.thumb.jpeg.b7c597dd20770088693b78eb6b03ca4a.jpeg

Kalalau valley. You can take the trail up the river from swimming hole to swimming hole until you get to a rope swing with a huge view

964E10E5-192A-4C84-A5DA-A397DF70CC8F.thumb.jpeg.68fcdeb19981d8b6d19c79aad86e2d2c.jpeg

Beach at night under the full moon. The stars were still incredible

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/23/2022 at 10:59 PM, wild_turkey said:

if you’re planning to do the full hike, I would recommend 2 nights minimum. To maximize your time (and if you’re both very strong hikers), I’d do the full 11 miles all the way to Kalalau, stay the night and the next full day, then 11 on the 3rd day. If you aren’t strong hikers then I’d recommend breaking the hike up and camping at Hanakoa (mile 6). I wasn’t super impressed with the camp site, but I was told there are better areas I didn’t see. The full 11 mile hike in was very grueling (extremely muddy and you are literally climbing up and down boulders at times) and done at the very “quick” pace of 8 hrs (no significant breaks). I really needed a full day there to realize it was magical, not sure I would’ve had that if we had gone back the next day. We were able to do it in about 6.5 hr on the way back.

if you camp you will definitely need to get a permit and make sure you know when reservations open up (maybe a month in advance) and be ready to buy ASAP. 

I would pack light (<30). Grab either one light share tents or some hammock tents, sleeping bag liners (ditch the sleeping bags), backpacking meals (so you can avoid bowls and bringing more camp accoutrements than necessary). You absolutely need hiking poles and hiking shoes. Plenty of stuff to make a fire, but may be useful to bring a small camp stove and buy the isopro from surf and snorkel (or something like that) in Hanalei. Bring a Grayl  (or cheaper alternative) for water filtering/ purification as you will be getting all your water from streams and creeks. The water is very clear but there are concerns with lepto and some other nasty bugs. There is a gross toilet there. Lots of people keep it stocked with TP but you never know.

camping areas were great and plentiful. Grab a spot close to the waterfall so you can be close to the good part of the beach and the waterfall (shower/water source). Many of the sites already have fire pits and home made chairs, ropes for lights, nails for backpacks. 

don’t camp too far onto the beach or too near the cliffs, as there are rouge wave and goat/rock slide concerns.

you can forage some bananas, coconuts, liliquois, guavas, squash etc., but be wary of anything without an outer covering (rat lungworm).

you can’t park at the trailhead (and no cell service), so you’ll need to set up a shuttle. I also don’t think you can park overnight at the shuttle stop so you need to cab there and cab/hitchhike back to your car

I’m sure I’m missing a few things but let me know if you have any additional questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some advice on how to manage the late night red-eye departure flight back to the mainland.  Anyone figured out how to manage the time from checkout to the flights?  We could possibly have 12 hours from checkout to our flight.  At first glance, I guess we could just keep our luggage in the trunk of the car and hang by the hotel pool/beach for the day?  Thx for the help!

4 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Looking for some advice on how to manage the late night red-eye departure flight back to the mainland.  Anyone figured out how to manage the time from checkout to the flights?  We could possibly have 12 hours from checkout to our flight.  At first glance, I guess we could just keep our luggage in the trunk of the car and hang by the hotel pool/beach for the day?  Thx for the help!

We flew in and out of Honolulu. We did Pearl, as well as all the in town things to do. Had the hotel keep our bags in bag check. 

59 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

wife and I booked appointments at the princeville spa for the late afternoon on departure day.  after leaving our condo, we went to hideaways beach for the early afternoon, then showered at the spa, got a couple of treatments, ate dinner, showered again, packed up and headed to the airport.  worked out well.

6 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Mai Tai's, lava flows, calimari, and coconut shrimp at Dukes Barefoot Bar is the answer.

https://www.dukeskauai.com/ 

Live music.  Great sunsets.  Close to the airport.  Check bags in advance and enjoy your last night in Kauai.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

Will be there first part of June.

June 1-3 - Grand Hyatt Kauai

June 3-7 - Airbnb villa north shore near Hanalaei Bay

June 7-11 - Koa Kea Hotel

We have a day on a boat booked and a helicopter booked. We have a rental car. We plan to check out Waimea Canyon and hike the first part of the Kalalau trail. 

Does anyone have recommendations for dinner spots? Anything from a fish taco truck to the fanciest blowout dinner spot? Price not a concern.

Does anyone have recommendations on a luau? Prefer good food and a place to wear coconut bras and grass skirts.

Our favorite meal was probably at The Tasting Room in Koloa. Good food, wine and beer selection. Only 5ish minutes from Poipu. 

The sandwich shop in the Princeville shopping center was good for lunch. 

We had some good fish tacos and ceviche at the Poipu Beach Athletic Club too. Fun, casual place. 

We were starving when we landed and hit up the Kauai Beer Company. Great burger and pints 5 minutes from the airport. We ended our trip there as well. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1